I hope the Kings watched that Spurs/Suns Match-up

I hope the whole Kings organization watched how the DEFENSIVE-minded Spurs whipped up on the "run-and-gun" Suns. It was like a mirror image of the Kings from 3 years ago. You can go 82 and 0 in the regular season playing that style all ball but when the playoffs come, forget about!!

DEFENSE!!!!!!!DEFENSE!!!!!!!!!DEFENSE!!!!!!!!!!

Out with Adelman, in with whoever!!

Yes, we could always to back to Mr. Positive St.Jean or what about Dick Motta. Bill Russell anyone?

If there is a coach that fits the needs of the Kings, then hopefully management will look into it. If it is change just for changes sake, no thanks.

pilot305 said:
I hope the whole Kings organization watched how the DEFENSIVE-minded Spurs whipped up on the "run-and-gun" Suns. It was like a mirror image of the Kings from 3 years ago. You can go 82 and 0 in the regular season playing that style all ball but when the playoffs come, forget about!!

yeah you have to give popovich alot of credit. his players really listen to him and that's a rarity these days. they also have the guys that don't mind playing defense and the guys that can actually play defense. and if one of them slips up, pop is right there in their face. imagine if adelman screamed at bibby everytime he let someone blow by him.:D

If our series with Seattle wasn't telling enough, the rest of these playoffs have proven this is a big man's game. The only team you could argue otherwise would be the Heat, but even they have the “MDE” center on their roster, and he's backed up by one of the best centers from the 90's.

If the Maloofs, Petrie and Adelman take anything away from these playoffs, hopefully it's that you need a big man- a big man who plays big- if you want to go anywhere.

Last edited:
We played defense under Adelmen a few years ago with the right personel (Healthy Webb, Keon, Pollard, Bobby and Jimmy Jackson, DC, not so old Vlade. Even Dallas is now playing defense with their last roster change).
and..

Mr. S£im Citrus said:
We were nothing like the Suns three years ago; they more closely resemble the recent Dallas teams, except that Stoudemire is a much better player than Nowitzki.
Gargamel said:
Damn, the Suns are PATHETIC on defense. Even worse in tough situations than Dallas was.

Last edited:
Kings the league in FGA% in the 2001-2002 season, what happened, I think it's age and injuries and player turnover. Suns defensively are pathetic. Offensively they are a juggarnaut, but without any D you can't even contend with the top defensive teams as easily proven by the Spurs-Suns series. Until this year the Kings played pretty good playoff D (Damn RAY), which is definitely seperate from regular season D. Suns played no D in the playoffs nor the regular season. Beating up on bad teams is not playing defense. We all saw how giving they were to good teams, point wise.

Popovich benefitted from Duncan in 1998, and magical drafting of Parker in the late first round and Manu in the 2nd round. Just amazing the steals the team got, or does Duncan make late first rounders and 2nd rounders that much better? They also have there players other than Duncan tied up in long term deals at relatively good prices which is more than can be said with some of our players and a ton of players throughout the league. Wise GM has also played a great role in there success, Bowen, Horry as well as the additions of Beno and Nazr haven't hurt.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I personally don't understand why it has to be about the Kings right now. I think they were eliminated in the first round by the Sonics.

It's about the San Antonio Spurs, putting EVERYTHING together, playing some of the best basketball I've seen in a long time, and getting the job done.

I give credit to everyone involved - from the GM who assembled that squad, to Gregg Popovich and his staff, to the players, to the fans - AND to the city of San Antonio for building that fantastic new arena. (To expand a bit on what bigbadred00 said.)

The Spurs are the real deal - the complete package. If you think it's solely about the defense, I have to wonder if you've really been paying attention.

VF-It isn't only about defence. They have both, there's no doubt about that. The Kings struggled at times with offence but really never had the team together (although I still don't think they could compete with the Spurs this year), but the difference always is they play great D and can put together O now. Defense wins titles but without a little O you can't win either. Defensive teams have won titles since the Lakers last won in the 80s.

pilot305 said:

Adelman is an offesive minded coach... that doesnt mean hes the problem... WE HAVE NO DEFENSIVE PLAYERS! That is our problem.

piksi

Hall of Famer
Well, Pedja sure did not watch the game because he does not do BB at home. He is in europe anyways having better things to do than basketball anyways. I am sure he will find out the scores someday. (His agent will tell him)

pilot305 said:

actually, the lesson I would take from this series is

EXPERIENCE!!!!!!!!!!EXPERIENCE!!!!!!!!!!EXPERIENCE!!!!!!!!!!

coming to the end of almost every game either team could've won, and the spurs had the experiece to make it happen (much like the Kings against the Jazz in that first big series at the beginning of the CWebb-jWill "era")

Experience,low post defense, balance

gave the Spurs the win.

It certainly did not come from making free throws.

It helped that the starting JJ went down at exactly the wrong time. And that Phoenix has little bench (so that SN gets exhausted and AS has to seriously worry about fouls). With a fully healthy Suns team and fewer Ginobili hoping-for-a-miracle shots, the Suns could have taken the series.

Now who else has expereince, low post defense and balance? Why Detroit! I think Popovic is rooting for Miami in the East right now.

Coaching is one thing, but when you have two 7 footers that know how to box out and contest shots, that's the foundation right there.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
bigbadred00 said:
VF-It isn't only about defence. They have both, there's no doubt about that. The Kings struggled at times with offence but really never had the team together (although I still don't think they could compete with the Spurs this year), but the difference always is they play great D and can put together O now. Defense wins titles but without a little O you can't win either. Defensive teams have won titles since the Lakers last won in the 80s.
I don't understand why you're addressing your comments to me. I'm not the one saying it's only about defense - pilot305 is.

O

ONEZERO

They are really great at defence, and they have been for years. But the thing that seperates this team from years past is their offence. As great as their defence is, I would have to honestly say their offence is scarier than their defence now. Whenever I think of the spurs, I think, man who's gonna stop ginobli, and parker and duncan. But years past it was, man can we score on robinson and duncan, the "two towers".

the suns-spurs series is in no way anything like 3 years ago!

The suns did not take the series 7 games - they did not lose the series because they could not hit 4th quarter free throws, they got hammered and were lucky to win 1 game.

The kings 3 years ago were 1 FT away from going to the finals, the suns were not even close this year! getting beat 4-1 is not the same as 4-3 losing in OT in the 7th game!

Don't compare the kings of 3 years ago to the suns, they are completely different teams, and the kings 3 years ago did play D!

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
What's scary is the San Antonio Spurs are a TEAM. And they're going to be a team next year, too. I don't think any of the keys are at the end of their contracts... It's awfully tough to dislike a team that has been built so well, with so much talent, and so much potential to stay that way.

Plus, as I've mentioned, watching them is like watching a tutorial on basketball.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Diehard Jim said:
the suns-spurs series is in no way anything like 3 years ago!

The suns did not take the series 7 games - they did not lose the series because they could not hit 4th quarter free throws, they got hammered and were lucky to win 1 game.

The kings 3 years ago were 1 FT away from going to the finals, the suns were not even close this year! getting beat 4-1 is not the same as 4-3 losing in OT in the 7th game!

Don't compare the kings of 3 years ago to the suns, they are completely different teams, and the kings 3 years ago did play D!
I compared it to the Kings/Lakers of FOUR years ago -- '01, when we get swept in our first ever second round appearance. We were young and one the rise, but just not experienced.

^brick not you comparing, the OP.

The main difference between that Kings-Lakers matchup and this spurs-suns matchup is that the Lakers were on a tear that year, I cannot remember exactly how many games they won to end the season, but they swept the entire western conference in the playoffs and only lost 1 game to philly. that series was not even close. that year the Lakers were just completely dominant, like the Suns were during the regular season this year.

pilot305 said:
The phrase above should be made into a bumper sticker and distributed to all the Adelman haters out there.

I'm sure the Kings are a "whoever" coach away from solving all of their defensive problems and becoming champions.:rolleyes:

A

AriesMar27

PixelPusher said:
The phrase above should be made into a bumper sticker and distributed to all the Adelman haters out there.

I'm sure the Kings are a "whoever" coach away from solving all of their defensive problems and becoming champions.:rolleyes:
i like adelman.... but what about george karl? what he did with the nuggets was nuts.....

whozit said:
Yes, we could always to back to Mr. Positive St.Jean or what about Dick Motta. Bill Russell anyone?

If there is a coach that fits the needs of the Kings, then hopefully management will look into it. If it is change just for changes sake, no thanks.
My vote is for Rex Hughes!! :))

I think the Maloofs should look into jackson. Obviously they have, and if it seems impossible to get him and than we should stick with Adleman.

IMO, Adelman is the best coach right now that is availabe, other than Phil. Flip doesn't stand up to Adelman.

Jackson or Adelman.