[Game] Kings vs. Warriors, 10/24/21, 6pm Pacific, 9pm Eastern

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally I think keeping buddy in every game to close out the game, while he Jack's up 3 after 3 while playing no defense is what's killing us in the 4th. While Luke plays touch butt sitting there watching instead of coaching is a huge problem. Buddy isn't starting for a reason, why depend on him at the end of the game when defense really matters. Some point to, we are down a few points and complelty neglected the fact that you have to make stops to come back. No matter how much you score, if they are scoring too, you won't come back. Those mindless 3s are great when they go in, and game killers when they don't. I'll take some consistency from our lineups and gameplans from. Better coach any day of the week then this

Dude c'mon, quit with the excuses. Why would I expect much different, oh geez I dno maybe cos he's literally the franchise player supposed all-star that we're paying $30mil a year? Playing off the ball might be an excuse for stagnant offense (also it's not, because lots of people wanted Haliburton to play more with Fox to allow Fox to be off the ball more), it's no excuse for shooting 9-15 FT (60%), 3-19 3P (16%) and averaging 5 TOs a game.

You can't on one hand claim that his stats last season weren't empty and at the same time say that it's not his fault that he's doing more poorly this year cos GUARDZ. It's not as if Fox isn't getting the ball in his hands, he's just driving looking to draw contact on layup attempts and turning the ball over in the process, dribbling it off his shoe, losing it off his fingers. You know what happened the one time he drove, stopped and pulled up in the paint? He scored!
They aren't using him the same so you can't call it excuses, more like a potential reason. If this team has hope this season it's that they were just about there last season and needed just a little push to get over the line, so changing anything major or putting different guys in major role shifts is an unnecessary gamble at this point. We know they clearly felt they were just a bit away because they basically ran it back this year. They made no major changes. They literally kept it the same as far as player type and structure. This team needs Fox to get going early just like any team with only 1 legit star to rely on. So far we are seeing Barnes and Haliburtons roles increased and so far, it's not working although Barnes is playing very well. If Fox struggles then he struggles but what we are seeing on both ends isn't going to cut it. Oddly enough they might want to look back at the things Bobby did in summer league. He tossed Lukes system after game 1 in vegas, brought it back in the champsionship game before tossing it again after 1 quarter and pulled off the victory. The typical regression in strategy is happening, no way around it.

And creating an offensive set that gets him into the spots he normally has to himself is the way to maybe get there. This everyone gets a turn offense is a surefire way to make it a tough a road as possible though. I mean, we've seen this team with the swing it around the horn a few times offense that Walton wants to run. It sucks.

The main difference there is that Haliburton's unique shooting stroke has made him more hesitant to just take the three though. There have been times where Haliburton clearly has enough time to shoot the three before the defender closes out on him but he panics/overthinks it and passes out of the play/drives inside for a more difficult floater instead. It's been an issue through preseason and in these first three games. Teams have game tape on Haliburton now and aren't just going to give hi the 3.7 feet of separation he was getting last season for his threes.
I'm starting to think this is by design. I think the goal is to attack, attack, attack. Fox, Haliburton, even Davion are all pretty much looking for the same thing. Pull up, and drive. Barnes as well. You can't have a 5 point attack team and especially with bigs who can't shoot.

Except it's probably the little lag in strategic adjustment year after year that puts the Kings on a path of no return. So how long they wait to go back to a Fox-centric offense and then how long it takes to get back into the swing of things could depend on the margin of error you're left with for the rest of the season. The west is even far less forgiving this year with teams like the Warriors and Wolves looking to and a poised to make a move up to the same spot Sac is trying to get to.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Your formula omits his hockey assists. There were a number of plays last night where Hali got ran off the line, he passes the ball to Buddy/Davis/Mitchell/Barnes then it swings to Fox/Barnes/Harkless for a three or two point attempt.
That's true. But Haliburton would have to have 4-5 more hockey assists than during an equal time period last year to make that up and draw even. Since the entire team excluding Haliburton has 51 assists, that seems unlikely.

That's true. But Haliburton would have to have 4-5 more hockey assists than during an equal time period last year to make that up and draw even. Since the entire team excluding Haliburton has 51 assists, that seems unlikely.
The problem with this Kings team is they really only have one connector in the starting lineup. That’s Hali, obviously. The dubs, for example, have Curry and Draymond. The lack of team assists is a byproduct of that and is less a reflection of Hali’s impact.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
The problem with this Kings team is they really only have one connector in the starting lineup. That’s Hali, obviously. The dubs, for example, have Curry and Draymond. The lack of team assists is a byproduct of that and is less a reflection of Hali’s impact.
So to clarify, De’Aaron’s struggles are entirely on him but Haliburton’s struggles are solely the fault of everyone else?

Jazz game was 95-95 with 4 minutes remaining and then we went 2 and a half minutes without scoring. Jazz closed out with a 15-6 run.

Warriors was 107-104 GSW with 4:36 to go, we went 2 minutes without scoring and Warriors finish the game on a 12-3 run lose 119-107. decided to re-watch the final 4 minutes of this turd because I’m a masochist. Kings offense was non-existent. Sloppy pass out of bounds from Fox trying to find Holmes underneath.. Buddy took a ridiculously deep 3 and then a tightly contested 3. Barnes turnaround 3 from the corner missed. Just over a minute left ball goes back and forth between Buddy and Fox, both of them behind the arc the whole time, Buddy misses another 3 (almost gets bailed out by the ref but overturned). Our last 3 points came from a Fox drive to the basket and a Davion drive (1/2 FT).

meanwhile Warriors kept attacking the basket. Jordan Poole drive gets rewarded with 2 FTs. Steph drives hard and misses but Draymond gets the put back. Steph gets a back door pass underneath but blocked. At 2:30 after Davion missed a FT, ball goes OOB near the scorers table on Kings side of the court. Dray runs a “fast break” where Holmes and Mitchell stay *behind* the inbounder to guard Steph a million feet from the basket leaving Barnes Hali and Buddy alone to defend, all 3 caught flat footed as Dray attacks the basket and finds Wiggins underneath for an easy basket. Next possession Steph penetrates towards the basket, pulls it back out, gets double teamed and gets the hockey assist when he gives it to Porter who swings it to Wiggins gets an easy wide open 3 from the corner basically icing the game. Later Holmes and Buddy try to trap Wiggins near mid court and foul him to get 2 more. Near the end of the game Fox drives to the basket an has Wiggins alone underneath, decides to kick it out to Holmes instead, tosses a lazy pass out to Holmes that Draymond tips leading to a Jordan Poole layup on the other end (altho game is well over by then)

so we had 4 3 point attempts where the ball never got more than 2 feet inside the arc on the possession . Picked up our only 3 points on 2 iso drives to the basket. Warriors keep attacking and get rewarded underneath, get a 3 off penetration

what is the idea here? What is this team doing?? Watching it live it felt like the team was just falling apart down the stretch but it’s even worse on replay. Like we just completely gave up on both ends of the floor. All the scoring both sides of the court is coming from attacking the basket but Buddy just keeps jacking long 3s and contested 3s and our out of bounds play calls includes a turnaround 3 point shot from Barnes. Why is our best defender lining up 100 feet from the basket and behind the inbounder in crunch time. What is wrong with this team.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Gonna need Fox to go on one of his supernova unsustainable Superstar weeks to end this chatter:

That's the idea! Unless he starts playing like an All Star this team is going to be in a deep deep hole at the beginning of the season. The thing that really gets me about this Fox thing is that all off-season long you heard about Morant and LaMello and Young. I really thought that Fox would come out of the summer with a major grudge (a good thing), looking to prove to the national media that he was better than these guys. Instead, we get the Fox that loves to start games slowly, except in this case he's starting the *season* slowly. He better ramp it up immediately or nobody is going to care when he goes on a tear the last 20 games of the season.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
That's the idea! Unless he starts playing like an All Star this team is going to be in a deep deep hole at the beginning of the season. The thing that really gets me about this Fox thing is that all off-season long you heard about Morant and LaMello and Young. I really thought that Fox would come out of the summer with a major grudge (a good thing), looking to prove to the national media that he was better than these guys. Instead, we get the Fox that loves to start games slowly, except in this case he's starting the *season* slowly. He better ramp it up immediately or nobody is going to care when he goes on a tear the last 20 games of the season.
To be fair, he started out last season like this too.

Fox's execution and decision making was poor. I like Fox as an elite roll player who can attack and get to the rim, but not as our lead decision maker or the centre of our offence.

Hali had some nice plays but also passed up some shots and deferred to Fox a little too much.

I like the attitude and intent of TT and TD. But I would also like them to defer more. They will add more wins by doing less.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Some overreaction with only 3 games on the books and a deadweight coach who’s offense has been complete garbage everywhere but that time he got to autopilot the historically good Warriors squad.

I would say the complaints on Fox’s tunnel vision, weak PG skills, and often suspect defense are valid, but I can’t help but wonder how many of these issues would be corrected with proper coaching, as opposed to whatever buddy buddy “leadership” and “teaching” our young star gets from Luke “I’m friends with Vlade” Walton.
I've seen this crap tooooo many times. It isn't an overreaction. You can't start the season slowly. The West is too tough. If they ease their way into it, they'll be 6-14 before you can say, "The season is over."

I've seen this crap tooooo many times. It isn't an overreaction. You can't start the season slowly. The West is too tough. If they ease their way into it, they'll be 6-14 before you can say, "The season is over."
You're right. And I highly doubt they will simply allow this to start slow and a hole be dug before something is done. And we've seen this crap of trying to continuously instill motion offense high post/dribble handoff sets, help defense, and position your one legit star off the ball so lesser talent can run the offense. Don't do that and then judge. We know the success rate when doing that regardless of who is on the floor.

I think it's a balance. We lost two games against good teams. But we have also seen it before. And an area of development is bringing it every night and every quarter.

I think stepping back and realizing that we have a significant number of changes in our roster and several new players getting big minutes is also a factor in our start. Not to excuse poor play and poor decision making at times but we have 1 new starter and at least 3-4 new players that weren’t here last year. It’s probably part of the reason that Fox has quite literally run into his own teammate on several occasions already. They haven’t played with one another long enough yet.
While we haven’t played ideally, we also aren’t embarrassing ourselves either. Fox will eventually figure it out and his percentages will go back up, Tyrese will figure out when to shoot and when to pass, and overall cohesion will certainly improve with time and practice.
My concerns lie with poor offense and poor discipline, particularly with boxing out. Seems like teams are getting a lot of second chance points right now. I also don’t think Luke is the right guy to lead the team. I don’t believe in Buddy Buddy coaching. You need discipline, rules, and proper sets on offense for when the going gets tough. This one on one crap and everyone having a go is killing us down the stretch. We need actual plays so we can get an easy bucket down the stretch instead of wild scrambling all the time.
I believe in our players and I think we are on to something here. There are a ton of positives to take from 3 games so far.

gunks

Hall of Famer
“Overreaction” was for those folk acting like we are better off without Fox after his 3 bad games.

If you want to be bummed about the overall slow start, I won’t stop you! I’m bummed myself!

Realistically, I didn’t expect much more than another treadmill year though. I can see us having an exciting second half of the season if McNair gets to bring in a better coach though.

Jazz game was 95-95 with 4 minutes remaining and then we went 2 and a half minutes without scoring. Jazz closed out with a 15-6 run.

Warriors was 107-104 GSW with 4:36 to go, we went 2 minutes without scoring and Warriors finish the game on a 12-3 run lose 119-107.
Soo…petition the league to change the games to 42 mins. :p

Just on the off chance that we're all forgetting, it's ridiculous we're having these conversations after only three games.
And 3 games against good teams. Their combined record is 6-1 and the loss is to us. Who seriously looked at the schedule and saw Portland, Utah and GS and thought we would be 3-0 or 2-1? If we could win 2 out of the next 3, I’d say going 0.500 against Portland, Utah, GS, phx, N.O. And Dallas was a success.

The Kings are 1-2 - they've lost 2 fairly hard fought games. They need to focus better in the 4th quarter - they look too hasty. Walton is still experimenting. The more a team loses, the more experimentation. See what happens the next few games.

Warriors was 107-104 GSW with 4:36 to go, we went 2 minutes without scoring and Warriors finish the game on a 12-3 run lose 119-107. decided to re-watch the final 4 minutes of this turd because I’m a masochist. Kings offense was non-existent. Sloppy pass out of bounds from Fox trying to find Holmes underneath.. Buddy took a ridiculously deep 3 and then a tightly contested 3. Barnes turnaround 3 from the corner missed. Just over a minute left ball goes back and forth between Buddy and Fox, both of them behind the arc the whole time, Buddy misses another 3 (almost gets bailed out by the ref but overturned). Our last 3 points came from a Fox drive to the basket and a Davion drive (1/2 FT).

meanwhile Warriors kept attacking the basket. Jordan Poole drive gets rewarded with 2 FTs. Steph drives hard and misses but Draymond gets the put back. Steph gets a back door pass underneath but blocked. At 2:30 after Davion missed a FT, ball goes OOB near the scorers table on Kings side of the court. Dray runs a “fast break” where Holmes and Mitchell stay *behind* the inbounder to guard Steph a million feet from the basket leaving Barnes Hali and Buddy alone to defend, all 3 caught flat footed as Dray attacks the basket and finds Wiggins underneath for an easy basket. Next possession Steph penetrates towards the basket, pulls it back out, gets double teamed and gets the hockey assist when he gives it to Porter who swings it to Wiggins gets an easy wide open 3 from the corner basically icing the game. Later Holmes and Buddy try to trap Wiggins near mid court and foul him to get 2 more. Near the end of the game Fox drives to the basket an has Wiggins alone underneath, decides to kick it out to Holmes instead, tosses a lazy pass out to Holmes that Draymond tips leading to a Jordan Poole layup on the other end (altho game is well over by then)

so we had 4 3 point attempts where the ball never got more than 2 feet inside the arc on the possession . Picked up our only 3 points on 2 iso drives to the basket. Warriors keep attacking and get rewarded underneath, get a 3 off penetration

what is the idea here? What is this team doing?? Watching it live it felt like the team was just falling apart down the stretch but it’s even worse on replay. Like we just completely gave up on both ends of the floor. All the scoring both sides of the court is coming from attacking the basket but Buddy just keeps jacking long 3s and contested 3s and our out of bounds play calls includes a turnaround 3 point shot from Barnes. Why is our best defender lining up 100 feet from the basket and behind the inbounder in crunch time. What is wrong with this team.
Perfect breakdown

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
And 3 games against good teams. Their combined record is 6-1 and the loss is to us. Who seriously looked at the schedule and saw Portland, Utah and GS and thought we would be 3-0 or 2-1? If we could win 2 out of the next 3, I’d say going 0.500 against Portland, Utah, GS, phx, N.O. And Dallas was a success.
I honestly didn't see us getting our first win until New Orleans so we're already ahead of the curve from where I stand.

Maybe I'm different, but I did expect us to acually win games this year. Not repeat the same crap of 16 years! I want to win now! And yes we should be 3 and 0 or 2 and 1. Portland and Warriors are not going to finals anymore than we are. We need to leap frog them not expect to lose

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I think it's a balance. We lost two games against good teams. But we have also seen it before. And an area of development is bringing it every night and every quarter.

Yes. It's not losing the game. It's how we lost the game - bringing crappy effort at the beginning of the game. Playing like we were on a back to back after 50 games into the season. That's absolutely not acceptable. Fox should lead this team in effort, but his effort was crappy, especially at the defensive end. It's the old adage, if you don't have it on the offensive end of the floor, you better make a contribution on the defensive end. Fox didn't and that's unacceptable to me. My view on Fox is that he has *more* defensive ability than Mitchell. He's faster, he's longer, he can jump higher, he's just as quick. But unlike Mitchell, he doesn't bring it. He just likes to conserve his energy. If he wants to be a leader then he better start playing like it. In this next game, he (and Mitchell) should be picking up Paul full court end line to end line, denying him the ball on every possession. That's what I'll be watching. I don't want to see anymore the "too cool for school" approach.

Kingster

Hall of Famer

That's precisely why the Kings need to be up by at least 10 points going into the 4th quarter. Who in their right mind thinks the Kings are going to win the majority of times against the Warriors with the game tied and 4 minutes to go???? They have more pedigree, more polish and are a zillion times more experienced than the Kings in finishing tight games. Curry isn't a HOFer for nothing. You have to make them *work* and expend energy during the course of the game and be up on them double digits to win against them. The Kings were content to "cruise" till the 4th quarter and the Warriors were very happy to comply.

Status
Not open for further replies.