Pacers v. Pistons Brawl (MERGED)

I think the league will come down fairly on all the NBA players involved. They have shown a very good past in doing so. In fact IMO DStern is one of the best commissioners in major league sports.. Perfect examples are Miami/Knicks, Spree and so on. One thing to note is that players did leave the bench. They should according to the rules be suspended. Players went into the stands yet again another suspension. Just by NBA rules only. Not emotional reaction

I just hope all the fans involved get a little dose of jail time also. I am from the Midwest and I hate to say it one of the worst towns I have ever been to is Detroit. So needless to say I am not surprised.

I'd be surprised if all players were suspended for leaving the bench... the league set a bit of a precedent when the Kings did the same thing vs the Lakers... however the situations are obviously different, and in this case it definitely hurt.

Maybe both teams lose all their players and have to forfeit a couple games?

Crazy scene. Fans and players both acted like idiots.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Variant said:
I'd be surprised if all players were suspended for leaving the bench... the league set a bit of a precedent when the Kings did the same thing vs the Lakers... however the situations are obviously different, and in this case it definitely hurt.

Maybe both teams lose all their players and have to forfeit a couple games?

Crazy scene. Fans and players both acted like idiots.
The amazing thing was wathing Rasheed try to calm Ben down and keep him out of a fight. As far as I could see the one palyer that did everything right was Sheed.

That was just crazy. I've never seen anything like it before... I couldn't help laughing, though, when I saw Stern almost hurling the microphone down at something. :D

Now Artest has time off to promote his CD. :D

HndsmCelt said:
The amazing thing was wathing Rasheed try to calm Ben down and keep him out of a fight. As far as I could see the one palyer that did everything right was Sheed.
Yeah I was actually looking for Rasheed when the brawl started - I know it's wrong, but I kind of expected him to be right in the action. Unfair opinion, sorry... but it was amazing that he was relatively calm. Definitely a positive thing, when everyone else was so riled up.

haha, yeah who would've guessed that one of the craziest brawls in sports history would include Rasheed Wallace as one of the few peacemakers.

This has been such a crazy season so far.

A

AriesMar27

ce_729 said:
I hope the events of tonight end all of the Peja for Artest trade rumors. I wouldn't have Ron Artest on my church league team.
i want artest now more than ever.... thats exactly what we need on this team, plus his feet can actually leave the ground for a rebound.

Artest might can play defense and rebound, but what if he decides to make a sequel to his rap album and take the entire playoffs off to rest because he's tired?

A

AriesMar27

ce_729 said:
Artest might can play defense and rebound, but what if he decides to make a sequel to his rap album and take the entire playoffs off to rest because he's tired?
it'll be like an injury, an ear injury to the fans.... but we'd manage, not having one of our stars for a couple of games... probably wouldnt even notice it.

HndsmCelt said:
Amen worst security since the Stones at Atalmont Speedway ;)
Hey, those Hell's Angels were proactive in their security. At least you can say that about them. The Detroit security was peeing their pants under the bleachers.

Gargamel said:
Hey, those Hell's Angels were proactive in their security. At least you can say that about them. The Detroit security was peeing their pants under the bleachers.
True that. Maybe the Palace could hire the Angles... doubt if too many fans would get rowdy a second time.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Tonight (in Detroit) broke my heart...
I have been a fan of the NBA since 1964. That is a long time. And tonight I saw something that broke my heart. I have a sick feeling in my stomach that I can't quite explain.
There has been a lot of footage shown already and I'm sure we'll all be heartily sick of seeing it before too long. But IMHO there is one undeniable truth. Some basketball "fans" have become less civilized than the Romans who watched and cheered while the lions devoured Christians.
I don't care what the provocation is supposed to be. There is a line you do not cross, yet someone in Detroit crossed it when they tossed a beer on Ron Artest who, for once, wasn't doing anything wrong.
Sure, Artest shouldn't have gone into the crowd afterwards, but the blame cannot be placed on him alone. He is human, as are all our players. He has been the subject of a lot of controversy and I think he finally had enough. No one should be subjected to being drenched by beer, soda, spit, foreign objects, etc. from the crowd.
The "fans" who actually came onto the court and appeared to square off against Artest should be permanently banned from all NBA arenas.
Players will undoubtedly be suspended, fined, etc. for what happened tonight. I certainly hope the Detroit police department reviews those films enough times to identify and arrest the fans who were the main instigators of this mess.
It was a good win in Sacramento for the Kings. Unfortunately, it was and will be completely overshadowed by the travesty that occurred in Detroit.
The game of basketball lost something tonight. Only time will tell just what it was...

I am watching ESPN and aparently Walton was announcing the game. What I wnat to know is why, oh why didn't someone, anyone clock Walton during the Meale?

VF21 said:
Tonight (in Detroit) broke my heart...
I have been a fan of the NBA since 1964. That is a long time. And tonight I saw something that broke my heart. I have a sick feeling in my stomach that I can't quite explain.
There has been a lot of footage shown already and I'm sure we'll all be heartily sick of seeing it before too long. But IMHO there is one undeniable truth. Some basketball "fans" have become less civilized than the Romans who watched and cheered while the lions devoured Christians.
I don't care what the provocation is supposed to be. There is a line you do not cross, yet someone in Detroit crossed it when they tossed a beer on Ron Artest who, for once, wasn't doing anything wrong.
Sure, Artest shouldn't have gone into the crowd afterwards, but the blame cannot be placed on him alone. He is human, as are all our players. He has been the subject of a lot of controversy and I think he finally had enough. No one should be subjected to being drenched by beer, soda, spit, foreign objects, etc. from the crowd.
The "fans" who actually came onto the court and appeared to square off against Artest should be permanently banned from all NBA arenas.
Players will undoubtedly be suspended, fined, etc. for what happened tonight. I certainly hope the Detroit police department reviews those films enough times to identify and arrest the fans who were the main instigators of this mess.
It was a good win in Sacramento for the Kings. Unfortunately, it was and will be completely overshadowed by the travesty that occurred in Detroit.
The game of basketball lost something tonight. Only time will tell just what it was...
Maybe Kings fans could do our best to rehablitate the game by showing our most hated rivals some public love. I suggest we all bring/send flowers to the Lakers when they come to Sac in December.

piksi

Hall of Famer
HndsmCelt said:
I am watching ESPN and aparently Walton was announcing the game. What I wnat to know is why, oh why didn't someone, anyone clock Walton during the Meale?
:eek:
Hey, it could have been worse. He could have been announcing our game.

I guess a tall white dude with wierd hair that talks garbage was not a target tonight

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
HndsmCelt said:
Under different circumstances, I'd probably find this funny...

I thought the chair incident in Oakland this baseball season was the penultimate of low in sports. I have never ever seen anything like this before in my sportswatchin' life. Nothing about that was remotely entertaining to me, I've seen the replay several times now and I shocked every time to the point of feeling sick. Especialy the point at which they were having to unpile a crowd standing above a elderly person who was nearly trampled in part of the melee.

I am still stunned...

I'm not sure how you prevent something like this in the future short of having riot police on standby. The ushers were all MIA from what I saw or had no idea what to do. But they are going to have to figure something out, because as sure as I'm sitting here, the next time this happens, someone is going to get seriously hurt, because there can be no next time like this where that doesn't happen.

HndsmCelt said:
Props to Pollard for staying out of the fight and working to get his teammates out safely! He sort of looks like h should be security for Elvis anyway.
He was too far from the action to get involved being in street clothes. Besides, he could have been scared by the mob.

Anyways, Artest got his time off. He'll be out for at least a month.

A

AriesMar27

who cares..... o'neill still clocked the hell out of that one dude who came out on the court.... props to JO and jackson for fighting for their teammate.... thats love right their, contract extentetions for everyone involved..... lol. hopefully if this were to ever happen to the kings on a road game, i want to see bibby, bobby, peja, webb, martin, tag, darius, evans, barnes, doug and brad throwing 'bows for sactown. too gangsta for arco arena...