Should Vlade At Least Be In The Conversation For Executive Of The Year?

While this may be premature (Vlade may be setting himself up for this award NEXT year in an effort to save his job), there is no doubt that he has been one of the more ACTIVE General Managers.

Of course, there is no way he gets even a few votes this year, but just by dint of his activity, you would think that he should at least be in the CONVERSATION.

The runaway winner is likely Kevin Pritchard for what he has done in Indiana, but Dell Demps may get some votes.

Pritchard:

His hand forced by Paul George (who lowered his trade value by announcing that he would be in LA in 2018-19), he still managed to acquire two gems for him.

1) Kehinde Babatunde Victor Oladipo: Likely unanimous winner for Most Improved Player. Signed him for next four years at $21 mil per year - the end of that contract may look like one of the best bargains in the NBA.
2_ Domantos Sabonis: would be a starter on most other teams (who filled in as starting center when Myles Turner missed a month, despite really being a PF), He will get votes for sixth man of the year and could even win it.

Made two key free agent acquisitions.

1) Darren Collison (and at a reduced length and rate - 2yrs/20 mil)
2) The bigger (and possibly better) Bogdonovich (Bojan languished on the market - i have no idea why - 2yrs/21 mil).

Brought Lance Stephenson back from the dead

Actually signed Stephenson to a 10 day last year, but inked him to a two year deal in March 2017 (2 yrs/9 mil). And all Lance has done is played in every Pacers game averaging 22.7 minutes off the bench, 9.3ppg and an astounding 5.0rpg!

Traded for/stole Cory Joseph, who was stuck behind Kyle Lowry in Toronto for two years (8.5, 9.3ppg) after four years stuck behind Parker/Mills on Spurs. Got him for a Euro who will never see an NBA game unless he buys a ticket.. That is picking the bones of two good franchises. Signed him to reasonable deal (2yrs/15 mil) and for awhile, it looked like he was taking Collison's job (80 gms/17 starts). Heir apparent or solid backup with 71 games of playoff experience (13.6mpg)

Pritchard did all this without burdening the team with long term contracts or overpaying (benefited by inheriting last three years of Sabonis' rookie contract). That should count.

Drafted PF T.J. Leaf (UCLA) who has hardly played (8mpg), but is positioned to be phased in as Thaddeus Young is phased out (Young turns 30 next month). Leaf only needed one week in the G-League, which says something. Like Sabonis The Elder, his dad played many years overseas and has also been a long time coach, so, T.J. The Lesser looks like a solid pick at #18.

Also drafted C Ike Anigbogu from UCLA (2nd round/#47) who has been mostly in the D-League - fate unknown.

Waivers: Picked up Trevor The Elder aka Trevor The Lesser Booker from Philly and he actually has produced good numbers - 15 games, 15.4mpg, 5ppg, 4.5 rpg!. Per 36, that would be 12ppg/10.4rpg!). 76ers paying off the $9.1 mil - bargain shopping. If this gives him the inside track to Devin (can you believe he was the FOURTH Kentucky player drafted - #13 - in 2015? Willie was second at #6), then "what a brilliant move".

Overcame long injury to Glenn Robinson 111 (21 games/13mpg), who was being penciled in as 6th man before season.

Only failing: couldn't unload last 1+ years of Al "Oh, My Aching Knees"Jefferson's contract.

also on the roster is Mighty Joe Young, obviously separated at birth from Buddy Hield, but he was drafted in 2015 (Round 2 pick #43), so, doesn't count towards winning the award.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/y/youngjo01.html

same with Myles Turner (2015 Round 1 #11) who seems to be developing way faster than Willie.

Important Factor: Vegas over/under line for wins in 2017-18 was 31 1/2 (Kings were 28 1/2). Pacers currently sitting on 48 wins with 1 game left, after clinching 5th seed (next up - Cavs). Just mail Pritchard the award now.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Demps:

Dell Demps MIGHT have something to say about that.

Free Agents:

Signed Rajon Rondo as free agent when no one else was going to. Rondo was injured early but has really stepped it up since Cousins season ending injury. Smart move by Demps because Rondo was coming off 1 year-14 mil monstrosity of a contract in Chicago and collected a 3 mil buyout, so Demps got him for 1 year at 3.3 mil. Sure enough, visions of yet another "contract year" may result in even more NBA time for the 32 year old Rajon.

Signed Ian Clark (former Warrior) - bargain at 1 year/1.5 mil has played 19.1mpg averaging 7.3ppg, which is double his first year with Warriors and half a point higher than his second. Smart signing for a playoff team (32 playoff games/13.7mpg with Puds), which no one but Demps thought they would be.

Took huge gamble by signing Jrue Holiday (Holiday The Younger) to monstrosity of a 4 year contract (105 mil!!!). However, even though it seems like he has been around forever (he was younger when drafted by Philly than Fox was when drafted by Kings), he is actually about to turn only 28 and will be barely exiting his prime when the contract expires. Considering just this year's production, good signing.19.1ppg, .491sp, 5.9 assists (higher because Rondo missed time) and an excellent 4.5rpg.

Demps was active, as the roster this season totals 23 (Pacers used 20) - when Rondo went down, he signed Jameer Nelson (for nothing - Denver paying then waiving), and Nelson was effective for the Pelicans, coaxing one more year out of his career. When Rondo returned, Dell packaged Nelson with Tony Allen (and even managed to unload the horrid Omar Asik in the trade - which may be why Demps had to include a #1 that could have even become just two number twos if they failed to make the playoffs - it is "protected" for years and years, but this draft only top 5 protected, so, likely goes to Chicago) for his grandest move, that which gets him in the competition:

Trading for Nikola Mirotic - WHAT a move (who knew?). Chicago basically HAD to let him go (after the Portis fight) and there was Demps when Cousins went down. And the Pels got BETTER. In 28 games, mostly as a sixth man in New Orleans (9 starts), he is averaging 14.1ppg/7.7rpg, but in his last three games (going in reverse order), all as a starter, with the playoffs on the line, Mirotic has scored 28 (in a win in Oakland on a back to back against the rested Warriors), 31 in a win in Phoenix and 25 in a home win against Memphis. If it wasn't for Anthony Davis, he would be Player of the Week.

Obtaining Mirotic alone gets Demps into the conversation (and I wish I knew if Vlade even faked an attempt to obtain either Mirotic or the Better Bogdonovich - isn't "knowing European Players" one of his few strengths?) but there is actually more:

When nobody else even knew that Emeka Okafor was still ALIVE (at 35, having not played in the NBA for the last four seasons), Demps signed him to a couple of 10 days in February (again, replacing Cousins by committee) and then signed him for the rest of the year for the minimum and has gotten something out of him (25 games/13.9mpg, 4.4ppg but 4.7rpg - 11.5ppg/12.2rpg at 36 minutes).

Drawbacks:

1) Has stuck with Alexis Anjica (7 foot center) for too long, but that does count against this year, since he signed him to a four year contract in 2015.
2) He actually brought in Josh Smith for 3 games (12 minutes of desperation time) before coming to his senses

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vlade:

This has gone on longer than I expected, so I will only comment briefly on Vlad The Enabler. I was against the signing of Zach after his lame excuses last summer ("I Wuz Framed") because it both went against the "culture" statement and it looked dicey on the risk/reward scale to put him around a bunch of youngsters learning the do's and don'ts of the nba - it kind of felt like hiring Dock Ellis as a pitching coach. At the time, I did a good deal of research and the best description I heard of Z-Blunt was "he's a great guy if you get him alone, but if you see him with his posse, all bets are off". To Vlade's credit (or just luck?) there have been no issues, although every time Randolph goes missing (like now), I wonder what's up. And, there are many games we would not have even been IN without him. Plus, the kids seem to like him, hopefully not because he's buying for them until they turn 21.

Bogi: Trading down and wasting a pick on Papagiannis looks like a net plus, given that Chriss has hardly set the world on fire. And there is Skal, (if Marvin Webster was "The Human Eraser", then Skal is "The Human Question Mark") who we got from that trade, but this is an annual award so the trade doesn't count, but the signing (Bogi) DOES - he gets credit there.

But missing on BOTH Mitchell and Kuzma pretty much knocks him out of the conversation - if he drafts BOTH (AND signs Bogi or even BOTH Bogeys), he wins this award (maybe).

The Cousins trade doesn't count because this is an annual award, but I give him credit for sticking with Buddy. The Giles move (holding him out) may be a set-up for next year. If Giles wins Rookie of the Year in 2019, Vlade gets a new contract. If he flops, one "Killer V"'is gone.

Fox and Jackson can't really be judged yet, by which I mean you really can't give Vlade a plus OR minus for drafting them or trading down, but I give Divac credit for (finally) bringing in some good veterans (and I hope he manages to keep Koufos and Temple, but they don't count for this year either - if had extended them midseason, that would have been a plus in this competition).

The Kings have won just about what Vegas predicted, but to be fair, three of those home wins were "gifts" based on referee mistakes and some were from opposition tanking.

Give him some credit for establishing "stability" in coaching.

I think more of Willie and less of Skal than most people, but I give him credit for not jettisoning them prematurely.

Cutting Papa midseason simply makes no sense at all - a nonsensical move.

Although I gave him points for bringing in George Hill, it appears that for whatever reason, they had a failure to communicate and that particular trade looks like it was made from a position of weakness. Certainly no "trade plus" there. And trying to sneak Papa into the deal is a minus (lowers the authenticity of the franchise).

I still don't understand keeping and then trading Malachai - make up your freaking mind. Bruno gets only an incomplete.

But overall, he has remade the roster and there is a"chance" that it will succeed and points for"being active" without surrendering.

That does not compare to Pritchard and Demps, but do any of you think that Vlade deserves to at least be in the conversation, even if just as an afterthought for Executive of the Year?

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I think if the Kings are winning 2 seasons from now he'll get recognized for the things he's done and if not he won't have a job.

I'm not entirely sure Pritchard runs away with it either, Indy was winning reasonably before and they are winning now. The writers love zero to hero stories or failing that fringe contender to runaway champion thing.

So look for Daryl Morey to win it.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Moved to the NBA forum for the simple reason it's about the potential candidates for executive of the year. While Vlade is included, the discussion is not primarily about the Kings.

Aaaah - The forum where threads go to die - Lot of work for nothing - You win, I'll leave

In parting:

That's why I included the Vegas over/under odds. Pritchard virtually rebuilt the team in one season with the great disadvantage of having to get something for what George himself indicated was a one year rental (Westbrook obviously convinced his owner otherwise).

I'm pretty sure that Executive of the Year is based on only the season it is awarded and I think the voting is after the regular season - so, trading for Harden doesn't count, but signing Paul does. But signing Paul not a "Wow" move in the sense that Paul basically chose his own team and really, almost anybody that COULD have signed Paul WOULD have signed Paul. But who else saw what Bojan had to offer?

Houston is 10th this year in team payroll (surprising because I thought they would be top five). Indiana was/is 28th (of 30. That is a zero to hero kind of thing.

And the fact that the Warriors will be thought of as the team that WOULD have finished first in the Conference ( true or not) may work against Morey. Plus Harden will be MVP, so voters may look at Harden (and Paul) were the real reasons for success.

Maybe it will be another tie.

Here are past winners - LOOK - it started with the Kings (AND Petrie won it twice){

A year-by-year list of the NBA Executive of the Year Award Winners:

YEAR EXECUTIVE(S) TEAM(S)
2016-17 Bob Myers, Golden State Warriors
2015-16 R.C. Buford, San Antonio Spurs
2014-15 Bob Myers, Golden State Warriors
2013-14 R.C. Buford, San Antonio Spurs
2012-13 Masai Ujiri, Denver Nuggets
2011-12 Larry Bird, Indiana Pacers
2010-11 Gar Forman/Pat Riley, Chicago Bulls/Miami Heat
2009-10 John Hammond, Milwaukee Bucks
2008-09 Mark Warkentien, Denver Nuggets
2007-08 Danny Ainge, Boston Celtics
2006-07 Bryan Colangelo, Toronto Raptors
2005-06 Elgin Baylor, Los Angeles Clippers
2004-05 Bryan Colangelo, Phoenix Suns
2003-04 Jerry West, Memphis Grizzlies
2002-03 Joe Dumars, Detroit Pistons
2001-02 Rod Thorn, New Jersey Nets
2000-01 Geoff Petrie, Sacramento Kings
1999-00 John Gabriel, Orlando Magic
1998-99 Geoff Petrie, Sacramento Kings
1997-98 Wayne Embry, Cleveland Cavaliers
1996-97 Bob Bass, Charlotte Hornets
1995-96 Jerry Krause, Chicago Bulls
1994-95 Jerry West, Los Angeles Lakers
1993-94 Bob Whitsitt, Seattle SuperSonics
1992-93 Jerry Colangelo, Phoenix Suns
1991-92 Wayne Embry, Cleveland Cavaliers
1990-91 Bucky Buckwalter, Portland Trail Blazers
1989-90 Bob Bass, San Antonio Spurs
1988-89 Jerry Colangelo, Phoenix Suns
1987-88 Jerry Krause, Chicago Bulls
1986-87 Stan Kasten, Atlanta Hawks
1985-86 Stan Kasten, Atlanta Hawks
1984-85 Vince Boryla, Denver Nuggets
1983-84 Frank Layden, Utah Jazz
1982-83 Zollie Volchok, Seattle SuperSonics
1981-82 Bob Ferry, Washington Bullets
1980-81 Jerry Colangelo, Phoenix Suns
1979-80 Red Auerbach, Boston Celtics
1978-79 Bob Ferry, Washington Bullets
1977-78 Angelo Drossos, San Antonio Spurs
1976-77 Ray Patterson, Houston Rockets
1975-76 Jerry Colangelo, Phoenix Suns
1974-75 Dick Vertlieb, Golden State Warriors
1973-74 Eddie Donovan, Buffalo Braves
1972-73 Joe Axelson, Kansas City-Omaha Kings

Last edited:
Aaaah - The forum where threads go to die - Lot of work for nothing - You win, I'll leave

In parting:

That's why I included the Vegas over/under odds. Pritchard virtually rebuilt the team in one season with the great disadvantage of having to get something for what George himself indicated was a one year rental (Westbrook obviously convinced his owner otherwise).

I'm pretty sure that Executive of the Year is based on only the season it is awarded and I think the voting is after the regular season - so, trading for Harden doesn't count, but signing Paul does. But signing Paul not a "Wow" move in the sense that Paul basically chose his own team and really, almost anybody that COULD have signed Paul WOULD have signed Paul. But who else saw what Bojan had to offer?

Houston is 10th this year in team payroll (surprising because I thought they would be top five). Indiana was/is 28th (of 30. That is a zero to hero kind of thing.

And the fact that the Warriors will be thought of as the team that WOULD have finished first in the Conference ( true or not) may work against Morey. Plus Harden will be MVP, so voters may look at Harden (and Paul) were the real reasons for success.

Maybe it will be another tie.

Here are past winners - LOOK - it started with the Kings (AND Petrie won it twice){

A year-by-year list of the NBA Executive of the Year Award Winners:

YEAR EXECUTIVE(S) TEAM(S)
2016-17 Bob Myers, Golden State Warriors
2015-16 R.C. Buford, San Antonio Spurs
2014-15 Bob Myers, Golden State Warriors
2013-14 R.C. Buford, San Antonio Spurs
2012-13 Masai Ujiri, Denver Nuggets
2011-12 Larry Bird, Indiana Pacers
2010-11 Gar Forman/Pat Riley, Chicago Bulls/Miami Heat
2009-10 John Hammond, Milwaukee Bucks
2008-09 Mark Warkentien, Denver Nuggets
2007-08 Danny Ainge, Boston Celtics
2006-07 Bryan Colangelo, Toronto Raptors
2005-06 Elgin Baylor, Los Angeles Clippers
2004-05 Bryan Colangelo, Phoenix Suns
2003-04 Jerry West, Memphis Grizzlies
2002-03 Joe Dumars, Detroit Pistons
2001-02 Rod Thorn, New Jersey Nets
2000-01 Geoff Petrie, Sacramento Kings
1999-00 John Gabriel, Orlando Magic
1998-99 Geoff Petrie, Sacramento Kings
1997-98 Wayne Embry, Cleveland Cavaliers
1996-97 Bob Bass, Charlotte Hornets
1995-96 Jerry Krause, Chicago Bulls
1994-95 Jerry West, Los Angeles Lakers
1993-94 Bob Whitsitt, Seattle SuperSonics
1992-93 Jerry Colangelo, Phoenix Suns
1991-92 Wayne Embry, Cleveland Cavaliers
1990-91 Bucky Buckwalter, Portland Trail Blazers
1989-90 Bob Bass, San Antonio Spurs
1988-89 Jerry Colangelo, Phoenix Suns
1987-88 Jerry Krause, Chicago Bulls
1986-87 Stan Kasten, Atlanta Hawks
1985-86 Stan Kasten, Atlanta Hawks
1984-85 Vince Boryla, Denver Nuggets
1983-84 Frank Layden, Utah Jazz
1982-83 Zollie Volchok, Seattle SuperSonics
1981-82 Bob Ferry, Washington Bullets
1980-81 Jerry Colangelo, Phoenix Suns
1979-80 Red Auerbach, Boston Celtics
1978-79 Bob Ferry, Washington Bullets
1977-78 Angelo Drossos, San Antonio Spurs
1976-77 Ray Patterson, Houston Rockets
1975-76 Jerry Colangelo, Phoenix Suns
1974-75 Dick Vertlieb, Golden State Warriors
1973-74 Eddie Donovan, Buffalo Braves
1972-73 Joe Axelson, Kansas City-Omaha Kings
I'll second Andjel, threads don't come here to die. But in terms of your question, no Vlade should not be in the running. I have hope for tomorrow but as of now, it hasn't come to fruition. You can't put the GM of the team with the current longest streak of non-playoff appearances in the running.

No, just no.

He failed the DMC trade miserably. That should end it there. In years to come if we develop how we need to then the full body of work can be taken into account but for now he should be far from the conversation.

We are meandering along another 7th pick coming our way, this is Vlade's chance to shine and draw a rabbit out of the hat either by making a solid pick or trade.

We have options but as of now he should be far from the conversation.

Demps has done very well and if cousins had stayed fit would have won it

And don't forget in what might be the worst trade ever in NBA history..

Trade Landry and Thompson, (that could have been stretched had Vlade known about it) Stauskus-rookie deal and our 2019 number one for salary cap room to sign Rondo, and Bellinelli-that was traded for pick of Malichi and that has been wasted. (We had adequate salary cap space at the time to sign Koufos without this deal.)

Can you say Laughing Stock.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
It's not the worst trade ever in NBA history by a $^#$^# mile. People really need to stop overstating this deal. It cost us a draft pick of indeterminant value. If that somehow, someway winds up being a franchise cornerstone player, then we can worry.

But as of today, it's not even remotely close to how Brooklyn got in their hole if we're just going to go by common era stuff.

And even that is not quite on the level to what Boston did to Golden State in 1980.

And I'm sure you can look at any number of trades in the last 10 years and find them far, far worse than mortgaging a pick a few years in the future for a shot to win with a high level talent like Cousins. The stretch wasn't some magic bullet either.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Vlade getting votes as executive of the year. Are you kidding me?
It makes a lot more sense when you realize that the OP was being facetious. He created this thread as a subversive (he thought) way to bash Vlade Divac; the title is just glorified clickbait. That's why he was in his feelings over the thread being moved here from #KingsRap: he created this thread to stir up Kings fans, not to have a good faith discussion.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
And don't forget in what might be the worst trade ever in NBA history..

Trade Landry and Thompson, (that could have been stretched had Vlade known about it) Stauskus-rookie deal and our 2019 number one for salary cap room to sign Rondo, and Bellinelli-that was traded for pick of Malichi and that has been wasted. (We had adequate salary cap space at the time to sign Koufos without this deal.)

Can you say Laughing Stock.
I've said it before, I'm sure I will not only say it again but probably be forced to say it until the day I die: You have to pay the salary of stretched players. You do not have to pay the salary of traded players. By trading instead of stretching, we saved something like $25-30M of cold hard actual cash. The trade CANNOT be honestly evaluated without taking this into account. And for some reason, people who say "dumb Vlade didn't know you could stretch a player" never, ever take this into account, probably because it makes it a lot harder to call Vlade dumb.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I've said it before, I'm sure I will not only say it again but probably be forced to say it until the day I die: You have to pay the salary of stretched players. You do not have to pay the salary of traded players. By trading instead of stretching, we saved something like $25-30M of cold hard actual cash. The trade CANNOT be honestly evaluated without taking this into account. And for some reason, people who say "dumb Vlade didn't know you could stretch a player" never, ever take this into account, probably because it makes it a lot harder to call Vlade dumb.
You also have to consider that if his homerun swing had hit, we'd need cap space to keep it going not have players on the books for years past their departures. It's humorous that the "stretch everyone" folks accuse the FOs of not understanding the rules when often times they cite it like there are no tradeoffs. It's not like the one time amnesty that was granted forever ago where all the money came off the books.

I remember my lawyer advising me to give the whole house to my ex-wife when we divorced in lieu of alimony. Her rationale was that every time I wrote that alimony check it would stir up negative feelings and it would eat me up inside (fortunately that gambit was turned down). Or why baseball fans LOL annually on Bobby Bonilla day.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
It makes a lot more sense when you realize that the OP was being facetious. He created this thread as a subversive (he thought) way to bash Vlade Divac; the title is just glorified clickbait. That's why he was in his feelings over the thread being moved here from #KingsRap: he created this thread to stir up Kings fans, not to have a good faith discussion.
I'd love to believe he had good intentions but post history says otherwise. But I do have to admire the boner for Kevin Pritchard. Who has done a nice job with a bad situation but probably won't sniff any awards.

That whole trading away a first round pick - Stauskas , a future first, and a swap of a future first round pick to make cap room for Ellis and Matthews - players who didn’t want to come to Sacramento was a swing at the fences. It was pitched around the fact that we were serious about winning now and building around Cousins. I had no problem with it at the time, i was all for it, we were done with sitting on our hands and were going to get some proper vet help. The issue is for Vlade to flip flop on his strategy and trade Cousins and enter a full rebuild when we have no future assets coming our way. That is just pi*s poor management.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
That whole trading away a first round pick - Stauskas , a future first, and a swap of a future first round pick to make cap room for Ellis and Matthews - players who didn’t want to come to Sacramento was a swing at the fences. It was pitched around the fact that we were serious about winning now and building around Cousins. I had no problem with it at the time, i was all for it, we were done with sitting on our hands and were going to get some proper vet help. The issue is for Vlade to flip flop on his strategy and trade Cousins and enter a full rebuild when we have no future assets coming our way. That is just pi*s poor management.
I wanted to quit watching for a few weeks following the trade but on reflection I really don't think we had any other options. We were going to have to blow our entire cap space on him and we were just treading water and not putting it together. He deserved a lot better, and frankly so did we as fans, but the damage was done in the years following his draft before Vlade arrived. Pulling the trigger when we did allowed us to keep our 2017 #1 which became Fox and get two other #1s (Buddy and NO's pick, which then became two 2017 #1s - JJ and Giles). Honestly it was all very savvy when we were boxed into a corner.

If Fox and Giles and Buddy and Bogs + our pick this year blossom, even it it takes a few years, Vlade will be recognized for it.

I wanted to quit watching for a few weeks following the trade but on reflection I really don't think we had any other options. We were going to have to blow our entire cap space on him and we were just treading water and not putting it together. He deserved a lot better, and frankly so did we as fans, but the damage was done in the years following his draft before Vlade arrived. Pulling the trigger when we did allowed us to keep our 2017 #1 which became Fox and get two other #1s (Buddy and NO's pick, which then became two 2017 #1s - JJ and Giles). Honestly it was all very savvy when we were boxed into a corner.

If Fox and Giles and Buddy and Bogs + our pick this year blossom, even it it takes a few years, Vlade will be recognized for it.
I think one thing he doesn't get recognized for is his ability to recognize mistakes or if one prefers missteps and then address those same mistakes (with varying degrees of success).

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I think one thing he doesn't get recognized for is his ability to recognize mistakes or if one prefers missteps and then address those same mistakes (with varying degrees of success).
Yes. He's clearly made some, but his ability to recognize and quickly adjust ... seems, dare I say ... competent. I feel like he knows where he wants to be. He believes in the talent he's kept (and I think with pretty good reason) and so hopefully this draft works out for us and maybe just maybe we get a guy who can fill a need in FA to accompany Giles and whoever we pick.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
But that brings us back the question I asked at the time of the trade: what's the statute of limitations on a statement like this? How long do you get to defer results before it's fair to question whether the trade worked in the Kings' favor? If Cousins comes back from his injury and helps the Pelicans get to the Finals, but one of those guys becomes a 1-2 time All-Star seven years from now, was it still a good move? If Cousins comes back from the injury as just another guy, but none of those guys pan out/they've already peaked, and they never make the playoffs while any of those guys are on the team, was it still a good move?

What if the Kings don't become relevant again until the trade, after the trade, after The Trade? Does that justify the move?

But that brings us back the question I asked at the time of the trade: what's the statute of limitations on a statement like this? How long do you get to defer results before it's fair to question whether the trade worked in the Kings' favor? If Cousins comes back from his injury and helps the Pelicans get to the Finals, but one of those guys becomes a 1-2 time All-Star seven years from now, was it still a good move? If Cousins comes back from the injury as just another guy, but none of those guys pan out/they've already peaked, and they never make the playoffs while any of those guys are on the team, was it still a good move?

What if the Kings don't become relevant again until the trade, after the trade, after The Trade? Does that justify the move?
I would think that the statue of limitations would have to end at the end of their current contracts at the latest.

I don't think it matters too much what Cousins does or does not do going forward. What matters is what the Kings do or don't do. They wanted a reset and that's what they got.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member

Arbitrary timeline for me is 3 years.

Which is essentially 1/2 the length of the next contract in question.

BTW, what I was saying in the part you quoted was if the team blows up (for the good) in 2-3 years, Vlade will get consideration for exec of the year even though it's the culmination of 3-4 years worth of work. That's just usually how those awards go, which is why my response to OP was that I don't think Pritchard is going to get an award for treading water in Indy even if it was a complete rebuild on the fly, but Morey will get it for taking them from a 3-4 West seed to a #1 overall.

Last edited: