[Game] Kings v. Trailblazers - Monday, Jan. 14 - 7PT/10ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Harry Giles's potential is absolutely insane. You can absolutely see why scouts thought he was a better prospect that KAT. Even without whatever athleticism the leg injuries cost him, he's still going to be an absolute monster.
really makes you scratch your head on why he dropped to 20 when the talent was clearly there, I'm not a scout and I saw it

BBRef has those sort of breakdowns. This year WCS is shooting .296 from 3-10 feet, which is not at all good, and he has been progressively getting worse from that range over his career.
Interesting, and thanks. The downward trend confirms my eyes. He's developed little to no actual post game other than finishing on pick n rolls, lobs, etc. over the four years. I just don't see how he's a starter on this team long term. Giles has a better post game than Willie at this point.

really makes you scratch your head on why he dropped to 20 when the talent was clearly there, I'm not a scout and I saw it
He was an absolute shell in college. Just wasn't healthy, didn't really show any of the ability he had in high school. Drafting him was a bet that he could regain any of the talent he showed in high school.

Thankfully for us, it looks like he did.

Big men with bad knees is a scary thing to teams. For good historical reasons. After Embiid and now Giles, more teams may start taking that risk. Sitting the player out a year to rehab.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
It was the question about the knees.
Embiid went third in his draft despite having a bevy of injuries in college and breaking his foot during the draft process.

I agree that people being concerned about having an Oden situation on their hands had a hand in Harry falling but it's not like teams have been particularly averse to drafting injury concerns high in the draft.

OK, we've seen the real Willie the last few sequences on both ends. When he can be a floor runner and finisher he's a 100 million dollar man. When he can be that type of defender on smaller players maybe more.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I get that. I see teams take gambles all the time when talent like that is on the board though.
Yeah, but Porter fell from a sure top-5 player to, what, 15th this year on similar questions. Seems to be a similar range. I mean, had you asked me before the draft I'd have figured somebody would have taken a chance on Giles in sort of the 12-16 range, but 20 isn't shocking to me for a talented player with significant injury risk.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
He was an absolute shell in college. Just wasn't healthy, didn't really show any of the ability he had in high school. Drafting him was a bet that he could regain any of the talent he showed in high school.

Thankfully for us, it looks like he did.
Coach K had him play a specific role at Duke, which is why he couldn't show off his skill too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.