[Game] Kings v. Timberwolves - Thursday, Dec. 26 - 7PT/10ET

Status
Not open for further replies.
Partly chemistry/identity crisis mixed with perfect storm. Teams had already kind of started to figure out the Kings play book on both ends but then putting in two new main rotation cogs into a team reliant on team system offensive and defensive schemes totally caused a set back in rhythm. In a team set on either end having even just one player being out of sorts will bring the whole thing crashing down. Now the question for the Kings is what are you? Walton has said that they are an up tempo team but he still wants them working on the half court stuff for the moment. The next question is how calm is too calm and how long do you continue to experiment while losing to some of the worst teams in the league at home? This team isn't nearly confident nor composed enough to handle too much punishment IMO.
This is why you set your style based on your most talented players.

He pushed Ariza out defensively a few games ago, then a guy cut backdoor. Ariza looked annoyed as hell.

Tonight Ariza in overtime was surrounded by the other guys on the floor, looked like he was trying to motivate and tell people what they needed to do.

I wouldn't be surprised if the veteran is trying to get the guys to hang in there before it is too late.
There was also a play at the end of a quarter a few games back where Buddy was dribbling the ball with the clock running down. Ariza came out to set a screen for him and Buddy waved him off. Ariza looked at him like "What are you doing"?

Then Buddy proceeds to take an off balance, step back 3 pointer with a defender draped all over him that resulted in an obvious miss. Ariza was visibly pissed afterward.

What's funny is before the season started, many of us thought that Ariza could potentially be a problem here and it's been anything but that.

it would be one thing if the guy who was in for him was playing amazing but Bogi somehow shot even worse than Buddy did though.

Bogi: 8 for 28 fg, 3 for 16 from 3 pt range.
Buddy: 6 for 20 fg, 3 for 11 3pt fg

Both dudes played like garbage but if the argument is "Buddy was shooting bad" benching him for Bogi doesn't really work.

all the wings/guards shot poorly:

Barnes 2-12
Joseph 3-10
Ariza 0-3
Yogi 0-2

we had an epic bad shooting night.

Buddy's final shot was absolutely awful in every aspect. First he takes forever to get anything going (THE CLOCK IS TICKING AWAY AND YOU'RE AT HALF COURT!) then he takes some wild *** leaner 5 feet behind the 3 point line (WE'RE DOWN A SINGLE POINT!).. Simply dumb and incredibly selfish.

I wish Vivek would sell the team. We'll never win as long as that meddling loser runs the show.

Buddy's final shot was absolutely awful in every aspect. First he takes forever to get anything going (THE CLOCK IS TICKING AWAY AND YOU'RE AT HALF COURT!) then he takes some wild *** leaner 5 feet behind the 3 point line (WE'RE DOWN A SINGLE POINT!).. Simply dumb and incredibly selfish.

I wish Vivek would sell the team. We'll never win as long as that meddling loser runs the show.
He hit the same shot a minute before that though.

He said no good players ever play in Sacramento.

The franchise rewarded him for that with a massive contract.

Hes untouchable.
Well to be technical he said which star/top free agents has Sacramento signed in recent years - quite a different message from what you're saying. And mind you, not an untrue one. I mean.. it's not like that isn't said by multiple posters here every off-season. Just not as appreciated coming out of a player's mouth I guess.

He didn't say recent years and he also said this was a "low market"

Don't play here then dude. He certainly ain't a top free agent. Maybe that's what he meant.
Don't recall the low market bit. Recent years or not... Still doesn't make the point wrong.

Thought it was pretty simple what he meant - you want to have good players, you gotta be willing to pay.

I'd say he's lived up to his contract for the season about as much as Barnes has (for their roles). Probably gave us 2 wins singlehandedly, but also has mixed in a lot of bad or uninspiring play. Difference is Barnes kinda flies under the radar because he doesn't make comments like these.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
all the wings/guards shot poorly:

Barnes 2-12
Joseph 3-10
Ariza 0-3
Yogi 0-2

we had an epic bad shooting night.
It was truly something you had to see to believe. Bagley was possibly our best shooter on the night and he wasn't shooting that great AND hurt his foot in the third quarter and Holmes was the only one with an efficient night and he doesn't shoot the ball from outside of five feet of the hoop.

The Kings have a decent basketball team. The problem is, so does every other team they play against. Even the Timberwolves after losing 11 straight can beat the Kings at home. This is the low point. The Wolves have been giving up 120 points a game this year on average. It took the Kings 2 OTs to get to 100 points last night. Their main issues are clearly on the offensive side of the ball. The Kings' defense is improved under Walton. Their rebounding is all over the place. Hield needs a vacation. I would sit him for a few games. The guy has lost all of his confidence.

The Kings offense is pretty predictable. They are not able to hit the long distance 3s consistently but continue to build their offense around them. They need to stop trying to play like the Rockets and go back to some more traditional styles of offense. Maybe they can run. Maybe they can run more set plays. Maybe they can run a play for Mr. Holmes. They need to try some new lineups and rest some guys. They need to shakeup the current funk they are in.

Fox and Bagley were playing great. Neither of them seem very durable. The NBA is a long grinding season and some talented players just cannot take the pace.

This is no time to give up. It will be interesting to see how Walton reacts. He has nothing to lose by trying some new stuff.
Thank God for Richaun Holmes. We need more like him.

It was truly something you had to see to believe. Bagley was possibly our best shooter on the night and he wasn't shooting that great AND hurt his foot in the third quarter and Holmes was the only one with an efficient night and he doesn't shoot the ball from outside of five feet of the hoop.
The only thing worse was the Twolves shooting. Wiggins, Teague, Napier were 3-21 from 3. Yet somehow we lost to this lifeless team. No other team would have lost to them.

so now what? total decline? trades and another rebuilding?

to make things simplified we need to determine what is our N1 priority, developing fox and bagley into star players and franchise cornerstones or ending 13(?) years playoff drought?
cause, we cannot have both.
tp make it clear, this defeat doesn't have anything to do with fox and bags, but something is not right there... in a lockeroom or I don't know

so now what? total decline? trades and another rebuilding?

to make things simplified we need to determine what is our N1 priority, developing fox and bagley into star players and franchise cornerstones or ending 13(?) years playoff drought?
cause, we cannot have both.
tp make it clear, this defeat doesn't have anything to do with fox and bags, but something is not right there... in a lockeroom or I don't know
I couldn't care less at this point if they just blew it all up and rebuilt from scratch. The more time passes, the more I've found myself not really caring about almost any of our "core" players. They're either hurt or they say stupid crap to the media or they suck at basketball.

There's a certain point in every season where I stop caring about whether they win or lose and last night during the 4th quarter was that point during this season.

We should trade Holmes to a team that can actually benefit from his heart and hustle because his play is completely wasted in this dumpster fire of a franchise. If anyone has a right to complain, it's him because he's the only one that plays winning basketball on a consistent basis.

I couldn't care less at this point if they just blew it all up and rebuilt from scratch. The more time passes, the more I've found myself not really caring about almost any of our "core" players. They're either hurt or they say stupid crap to the media or they suck at basketball.

There's a certain point in every season where I stop caring about whether they win or lose and last night during the 4th quarter was that point during this season.

We should trade Holmes to a team that can actually benefit from his heart and hustle because his play is completely wasted in this dumpster fire of a franchise. If anyone has a right to complain, it's him because he's the only one that plays winning basketball on a consistent basis.
Yeah! Send the team to Seattle too!!

This is rock bottom for this franchise. The hope is gone.

To be entirely fair, this is true of both of our shooting guards, who develop tunnel vision in crunch time to such a degree that they routinely froze out our best player (Fox) during crunch time last season for some reason. Bogi's bad possession at the end of regulation and Buddy's heroball three at the end of OT 2 are pretty much summations of the entire season. Generally pointing in the right direction but ending up not being that.
You‘re totally right. Bogie suffers from the same form of myopia. But since he rarely brings the ball up court without a sense of urgency and also has much better handles than Buddy, I didn’t choose to rail on him.

That said, 3-16 from three is utterly ridiculous. Bearded Hag type numbers. At some point a player has to come to the realization that they need to work for better shots for the benefit of the team when they’re clearly not on from deep. 6-27 from your top 2 shooters is almost always gonna get you beat even by a team on an 11-game losing streak.

Better BBIQ with regard to shot selection is needed. It‘s a game that counts in the standings, not off-day shoot around.

Exactly we literally had a thread saying how wrong some were for bashing him, literally a weak later were back to it. You can’t fix stupid that’s what Buddy is a low IQ player, Barnes is pure garbage as he’s always been dallas couldn’t wait to get rid of him for a reason he is who he is. Fox is in and out and Bagley can’t do crap and gets hurt every other week but yes blame Walton. Watch us look good again without those two and we’re back to Walton is good
I mostly agree that Walton isn’t the problem. However he is the coach and should know better than to allow Buddy to bring the ball up and initiate the offense — usually no pass, I’ll take the first open shot I can get if I don‘t turn it over first offense.

Walton seems to be figuring out that he can’t leave Buddy on the court in important defensive situations. However until he bans Buddy from late game ball handling situations, I contend he should still get a small portion of the blame.

But other than that, Walton doesn’t seem to be much of the problem. It’s a player problem. Chronic injuries, chemistry, IQ and development.

Smh Buddy needs to go he always has something dumb to say he’s not good enough for this, as dumb as the overlooking a team comment

Somebody needs to let Leo know that the KINGS were playing their best basketball of the season w/o their supposed best players. And they also were doing it in spite of Buddy Hield. The shooter with career low shooting numbers across the board this season and countless defensive/mental/ball handling lapses.......

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.