Kings active in trade talks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then you think they would rather let IT walk after this year rather than trying to get something for him?

Or do you think they will just re-sign him to what he asks for? I believe he's going to be asking for upwards of 7-8mil a year.
theres some correlation with him padding his stats in a contract year. :) no way in hell will gerbil give him that amount, wait, he foolishly gave landry a kenny thomas size contract.

He want's 15/16million a year, Bulls offered him 30 mil over 3 extension he rejected it, this was a terrible move by the Cavs a 3 month rental to get swept at best in the first round. It's not like with us where we at worst traded away garbage for Gay while not giving up picks.
You're absolutely correct that it's a bad move if the Cavs can't resign him.
But you never know. Maybe he felt that Rose was never going to get back to his 'old' self and didn't want to commit to the Bulls organization because he wanted to play for a team that might have a chance in the playoffs.
The Cavs could have been in contact with his agent and his agent might have informed them that Deng liked the idea of playing with Kyrie and would possibly be willing to re-sign with them.

We obviously won't know till we see what takes place in the off-season. So I still stand by my statement that it's a good move for the Cavs if they can convince him to re-sign.

K

KingMilz

We obviously won't know till we see what takes place in the off-season. So I still stand by my statement that it's a good move for the Cavs if they can convince him to re-sign.
He clearly stated he wanted 15/16million (he would have stayed with the Bulls if they offered him that rather than 10mil) which to me suggests it's about money and if it's not about money he will want to go to a contender while I agree we have to see and wait it's looking unlikely imo.

I wanted sooo bad for us to trade for Kendall Marshall since the end of last year.. well looks like he's going to be a star with the Lakers. Why am I spotting out talent better than Pete?

I wanted sooo bad for us to trade for Kendall Marshall since the end of last year.. well looks like he's going to be a star with the Lakers. Why am I spotting out talent better than Pete?
Star? He's played big minutes in 3 games (2 losses) and so far he's basically shown the same terrific passing ability but other weaknesses. It's a d'antoni thing also where their offense drives assists when you play close to 40 minutes. He's got a place in the league but probably not as a star.

There's a reason Marshall went to the d-league. Kayte Christensen had some harsh words for a former Sun she would not name, but from all I heard, it sounded like she meant Kendall Marshall. Basically, a bad work ethic that the whole team noticed.

Star? He's played big minutes in 3 games (2 losses) and so far he's basically shown the same terrific passing ability but other weaknesses. It's a d'antoni thing also where their offense drives assists when you play close to 40 minutes. He's got a place in the league but probably not as a star.
I think he will be. He received minutes towards the end of last year with the Suns, and he made the most of it. (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/gamelog/_/id/6607/year/2013/kendall-marshall) Check the stats and they're pretty nice. I even thought he would be their starting pg. He was very impressive during the period when Dragic was out.

Aside from having impressive games with the Suns, he also played very well in the D-League this year. He had high TO's, but in the NBA he cut it down by a lot. http://www.nba.com/dleague/playerfile/kendall_marshall/game_by_game_stats.html

The only reason why I'm such a fanatic is because I've watched him a lot at North Carolina. He's not much of a defender, but probably not worse than what the kings have going on here.. Sorry..not sure about rules with links and etc.

There's a reason Marshall went to the d-league. Kayte Christensen had some harsh words for a former Sun she would not name, but from all I heard, it sounded like she meant Kendall Marshall. Basically, a bad work ethic that the whole team noticed.
Well after the off season, the Suns had Dragic back at 100% and acquired Bledsoe along with many other pgs. He was traded to the Wizards who had no use for him. I'm not sure if it was or wasn't him..but there were 4 players packaged into that deal with the Wizards..also many former suns lol

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Three words: Mike D'Antoni's System.

It's a point guard intensive system that will often result in guards putting up astounding numbers. Steve Nash had his big seasons in D'Antoni's run and Sun system. Jeremy Lin exploded onto the scene in New York under a modified version of D'Antoni's system. Raymond Felton had severely inflated passing numbers with D'Antoni. Hell, he even made Chris Duhon look alright as his point guard.

I think he will be. He received minutes towards the end of last year with the Suns, and he made the most of it. (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/gamelog/_/id/6607/year/2013/kendall-marshall) Check the stats and they're pretty nice. I even thought he would be their starting pg. He was very impressive during the period when Dragic was out.

Aside from having impressive games with the Suns, he also played very well in the D-League this year. He had high TO's, but in the NBA he cut it down by a lot. http://www.nba.com/dleague/playerfile/kendall_marshall/game_by_game_stats.html

The only reason why I'm such a fanatic is because I've watched him a lot at North Carolina. He's not much of a defender, but probably not worse than what the kings have going on here.. Sorry..not sure about rules with links and etc.
The Three PGs I wanted the Kings to get... Marshall, Burke, MCW.. Looks like all three will make a niche for themselves in the league.

One thing that no one seems to be considering is that IT is an incredible fan favorite, with his face splashed all over everywhere. Little kids love him. I know it's not de rigueur around here to consider fan reaction, but in this case I think we should.

Trading IT for anything less than a true star would not sit well with the fans who are paying to come see the team. The new ownership is working very hard to romance those fans and I simply cannot see any way they could easily justify trading IT away.

The more I think about it, the more I think the players truly being shopped are not named Thomas or Cousins.
The other thing (if ShamSports is correct) is IT is a restricted free agent which might drive his price down if other potential bidders think the Kings will match and don't offer bids.

Onwards to Andre Miller...do not move an expiring Fredette for a 60 year old PG....do move Thornton in a deal.
Actually what we want and what Denver wants might be 2 different things... Anyways, I wouldn't mind trading Jimmer. Who cares? He's not going to be here next year.

I believe a trade like this could be interesting for both teams:

Jimmer + Thornton for Miller + Foye

Next year Thornton's contract is at $8.7 million. Foye + Miller are at 7.6. Potentially MT is the best player, but Foye could be a nice replacement, and he will be more comfortable than MT coming off the bench. Jimmer is a low cost gamble for Denver. It could work there, otherwise they will let him walk at the end of the year.

If the Bulls want our protected(1-12) 2014 1st Round pick. It would be nice if they offered Joakim Noah to help us improve our record.

But the question is....Is Noah worth losing a chance to get a Top 5 draft pick for Wiggins, Parker, Randle???

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
If the Bulls want our protected(1-12) 2014 1st Round pick. It would be nice if they offered Joakim Noah to help us improve our record.

But the question is....Is Noah worth losing a chance to get a Top 5 draft pick for Wiggins, Parker, Randle???
Our odds of being Top 5 are pretty dang low. More likely is Noah worth a #7-#12 pick in this draft? I would think the answer is yes. Not only a guaranteed top frontcourt defender, but unlike a kid brings tons of experience and knowhow to the equation to. He can make you better a lot faster than a non-superstar kid can make you better.

Our odds of being Top 5 are pretty dang low. More likely is Noah worth a #7-#12 pick in this draft? I would think the answer is yes. Not only a guaranteed top frontcourt defender, but unlike a kid brings tons of experience and knowhow to the equation to. He can make you better a lot faster than a non-superstar kid can make you better.
people keep saying this, and i genuinely question why. the kings currently own the 4th worst record in the entire nba. they literally just dropped home games to philadelphia and charlotte. and while i'm in general agreement that it would seem unthinkable for this team to continue along their current path of suckitude for the remainder of the season, i also certainly would not classify their odds of snagging a top 5 pick as "pretty dang low."

they've got a road-heavy schedule after this homestand ends, they're still in the process of integrating new players into the team's game plan, their chemistry is shaky, at best, and i have a really hard time seeing the defense come around without an influx of additional talent and a training camp/preseason with which to hit the "reset" button. if PDA manages to swing another game-changing trade before the deadline, then we can revisit my prognostication, but, in the meantime, with this roster, i still see a top 5 draft pick as well within an acceptable range of probability...

Yep, but it's not worth the risk. Is he worth a top 5 pick? No. Is he worth 7-12? All things considered, yes. So protect the pick through 5. Taking the risk just because the odds aren't in our favour is not smart no matter what way you spin it. No one wants to be known to have traded the next Durant/Wade/whoever for Noah.

If Noah is worth 7-12, offer them 7-12. It really isn't worth the risk not protecting the pick.

Of course, this is all moot given that we can't actually trade this years pick until draft day.

Actually what we want and what Denver wants might be 2 different things... Anyways, I wouldn't mind trading Jimmer. Who cares? He's not going to be here next year.

I believe a trade like this could be interesting for both teams:

Jimmer + Thornton for Miller + Foye

Next year Thornton's contract is at $8.7 million. Foye + Miller are at 7.6. Potentially MT is the best player, but Foye could be a nice replacement, and he will be more comfortable than MT coming off the bench. Jimmer is a low cost gamble for Denver. It could work there, otherwise they will let him walk at the end of the year.
I wouldn't do a Jimmer deal for Miller straight up...doesn't Miller have another year remaining? If they can add pieces then fine, but I think Foye is not a long term guy either.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
people keep saying this, and i genuinely question why. the kings currently own the 4th worst record in the entire nba. they literally just dropped home games to philadelphia and charlotte. and while i'm in general agreement that it would seem unthinkable for this team to continue along their current path of suckitude for the remainder of the season, i also certainly would not classify their odds of snagging a top 5 pick as "pretty dang low."

they've got a road-heavy schedule after this homestand ends, they're still in the process of integrating new players into the team's game plan, their chemistry is shaky, at best, and i have a really hard time seeing the defense come around without an influx of additional talent and a training camp/preseason with which to hit the "reset" button. if PDA manages to swing another game-changing trade before the deadline, then we can revisit my prognostication, but, in the meantime, with this roster, i still see a top 5 draft pick as well within an acceptable range of probability...
To add on: the odds are what they are. Even the worst team in the league has only a 25% chance of picking #1. Nothing new about that. If we finish where we are now, the worst pick we could get is #7 and the best is #1. To pick #7, 3 teams, and that's all there can be, would have to slide into the top 3. I think that happened to us with Tyreke and we ended up with the #4 pick but #4 was the worst it could be.

Stats are stats and emotions play no part in it. Past luck or lack of luck plays no part in it. The possibility that a projected great player would end up a bust is definitely a possibility but then the opposite is true. The league is full of Hall of Famers picked relatively late. We are in the hunt for a great player. Some of the top projected players have a bust possibility and I suppose I could get into a big argument about that but there are several that almost have a guarantee stamped on their forehead. No matter how we finish the season, we can get the best player. Stats, unknown potential, etc. all come into play. Projecting ahead 5 years is not possible. The fact that this is a once in a decade draft can't be ignored.

Of course we can get a top 5 pick.

I think you are both correct, future looks pretty bleak and chances if getting a top 5 pick are low.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
So I think the next thing to do is to move IT. Are there any teams out there that need a scoring point?
Not that simple, as we quite obviously cannot afford to lose him without getting another quality PG back.

Next up:
shotblocker
roleplaying defenders
PG who passes
any SG who can play

If we're fence swinging though logically IT & Ben are our best pieces until we can unencumber that pick.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think you are both correct, future looks pretty bleak and chances if getting a top 5 pick are low.
I don't agree with either point. The first is really a matter of opinion. The Kings have their star player in Cousins. Hard to have a really bleak future when you have a cornerstone to build around. Whether or not the front office knows what they are doing is a very legitimate question, but there's no reason that with the right moves the Kings can't begin an upward trajectory.

Secondly, as Padrino pointed out the Kings have the 4th worst record in the league behind the Bucks, Magic and Jazz. And it's not all that unlikely that by Friday they have the 2nd worst just behind Milwaukee. I would expect all three to lose their next game (Kings vs Portland & Utah vs OKC tonight, Orlando vs Portland tomorrow) but if the Jazz beat Cleveland on Friday and the Kings lose to the Magic at home they are suddenly only behind the Bucks in terms of winning (losing?) percentage.

Again, I root for the Kings to win every single game but if there was ever a year to be bad, this looks to be it. Despite PDA's attempts to really shake the roster up, the team is as bad as ever, record wise.

That's actually my biggest concern. I'd be surprised if the Kings DIDN'T draft in the top 5 this year but I'm worried about D'Allessandro's eye for talent and ability to assemble a roster. Hey, if he was Ujiri or Hinkie who are absolutely trying to blow up their rosters with an eye towards the future I'd feel good. But he's clearly trying to retool the team to improve things and these moves are not working. Was Landry a good signing? Obviously he hasn't played yet but my guess is no based on fit though I guess time will tell. Was McLemore a good draft pick? It doesn't look that way right now. Was Rudy Gay a good acquisition? The Kings were 7-13 before the deal and have gone 4-8 since. On the other hand the Raptors were 7-12 before the deal and have gone 9-4 since with improved offensive AND defensive ratings. Combine that fact with Phoenix and Philadelphia playing better than expected and it means the GM who is trying to win now is out tanking the guys who are purposely tanking.

The Kings chances of getting a top five pick are actually high. And the future could be very rosy with the draft choice, trades, signings etc.

If we want to be pessimistic the correct target should be doubts about PDA's ability to assemble a winner.

I wouldn't do a Jimmer deal for Miller straight up...doesn't Miller have another year remaining? If they can add pieces then fine, but I think Foye is not a long term guy either.
Jimmer for Miller straight up wouldn't even work. Salaries don't match. That's why I was suggesting to add MT and Foye. Even if Miller has another year on his contract we would actually save 1 million next year. And I'm sure Miller could still be a good back up PG, and he has a lot to teach to our young PGs. He is a true veteran, he has leadership and playoff experience.

If Hinrich is available too, I'd prefer to get him. Younger and can play both guard positions. I always liked him, good defender and the perfect role player.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

Star in college does not guarantee star in the NBA. Ask Jimmer.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not that simple, as we quite obviously cannot afford to lose him without getting another quality PG back.

Next up:
shotblocker
roleplaying defenders
PG who passes
any SG who can play

If we're fence swinging though logically IT & Ben are our best pieces until we can unencumber that pick.
I love Isaiah Thomas as a sixth man gunner off the bench. I'm significantly less enamored with him as a starting PG both because of what it means on the court or off. On the court it puts a talented scoring guard in the position of trying to be a distributor/offensive initiator and defend 1st string PGs both of which IT has shown he is not good at. Off the court it concerns me because IT the starting PG is going to command a higher salary than IT the bench sparkplug.

The GM with an eye on the future realizes that this is the year to trade Thomas. I had two hopes going into this season. One was that Vasquez would play well enough to keep the starter's role and let IT be a great sixth man while also lowering his asking price to resign. Then the Kings could let Vasquez walk and trade or draft (Exum?) their new starting PG while keeping IT as a reasonably priced and dynamic sixth man. My other hope was that Thornton would play like a man on fire with McLemore coming on strong near the trade deadline so the Kings could deal MT for something good while opening a starter's role for M16. Somewhat similar to the Thunder's trade of Jeff Green for Perkins to shore up their interior D & rebounding while clearing minutes for Harden. Yes, Sefolosha was the starter, but that move was made due to Harden's emergence. But I digress.

I can't see IT putting up better numbers in the next year or two than he is now and his salary is going to go up considerably next year. Yes, the though of Fredette or Ray Mac starting the rest of the way is pretty abhorrent but the thought has to be about the long term gains and losses. Besides, starting Jimmer at PG would both end all of the Jimmermaniacs' arguments that he'd shine if given a chance AND guarantee that top five pick in one fell swoop. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.