[Game] Kings @ Warriors, 10/23/2022 5:30pm Pacific, 8:30pm Eastern

Favorite Keegan

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
This team doesn't lend itself well to beating good, experienced teams early in the season. Unfortunately, the beginning of the schedule is all good, experienced teams. However, once the train leaves the station there won't be a way to stop it. The talent is there to scrape some wins together in the beginning of the season.

Can anyone justify trading Fox? lol
We likely start the first 10 games no better than 4 and 6, more likely with 2 or 3 wins. Even when we thought things were looking great after the preseason, most considered 5 and 5 to be the best possible outcome. The true test of this team, coach brown and our new "culture" will be how they respond after being down big after this first brutal stretch. I'd much rather we see this team build steam as the season progresses vs. back themselves into the play-in. Can only hope they are mentally strong.

Yeah Metu isn't normally the answer either but he contributed last night. He's actually not a bad defender but he can be a total dum dum on offense sometimes.
I don't know what his stats show, but just in watching him I'd say he's the one big on the team who will always try to block shots. He puts effort into protecting the rim. I've wondered what his game would look like if he just didn't shoot any 3's for a while. Playing the 5 would give him a more reasonable chance to try this

Having looked at records and who we have played not feeling so bad about our start. Feeling much worse about not having gone after Grant.
How do you feel re the price tag for Grant? This is what Portland paid, which seems a little steep for me:

Grant was traded to the Portland Trail Blazers along with the draft rights to Ismaël Kamagate in exchange for a top-four protected 2025 first-round pick (via Milwaukee), the draft rights to Gabriele Procida, and two future second round picks.

How do you feel re the price tag for Grant? This is what Portland paid, which seems a little steep for me:
well Milwaukee is a late first so I was fine with it. Had we been able to flip 4 for 5 and get Grant I would have done it. Most here wanted to hold out for Bey but I would have gladly traded Richaun and 4 for Grant and 5. I have no idea if it was or was not possible.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
That MIL 2025 pick was the pick that was supposed to be NOP's 2022 pick, right? Because the rumor was always they were trading the pick they acquired from New Orleans for Grant but when that pick went sideways many assumed the deal was dead.

Anyways, if he always wanted to go to Portland in FA that may have driven the deal either way.

I see he's Harvey Grant's son - I was confused momentarily and thought y'all meant Brian Grant.

just for comparison we gave up a better protected first for Huerter…..

Grant 28 years 17 ppg. 50% from 3
Huerter 24 years 16.7. 48% from 3

you can argue Huerter is younger. But he isn’t a defensive forward like Grant.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
why I wonder if the 4 for 5 swap could have been done. Given how we waste 2nds we for sure could have thrown a few in
Trading for a player completely against their will after they spent the last year colliding with Dame to get to a certain franchise probably isn’t the best idea though

What’s the sample for those three point numbers?

And yes, Huerter is younger and under a reasonable long term contract. Grant plays a more premium position, but is on an expiring deal. Given that Grant to Portland rumors seemed to be percolating for a while, I wonder if they were more comfortable trading for him on an expiring deal knowing he’d look favorably to re-signing there.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member

Grant's impending unrestricted free agency was the biggest factor of why he was even on the trade market.

lmao.

Contract context, age and I'm pretty sure Grant said he wanted to go play with Dame. So sure, give up a 1st for a rental, that makes far more sense.

Last edited:
Grant's impending unrestricted free agency was the biggest factor of why he was even on the trade market.
Which would have been fine for the Kings if for nothing more than to keep Grant away from a direct competitor. Monte showed his cards. Took Murray out to dinner, literally right after, Grant to Portland. This is possibly going to be a major factor in this team even existing in this form beyond this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.