Are you kidding me? Robinson Traded?

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Well to me that is what will happen. You will get a fresh new start. I think this is a horrible deal and it reminds me of what other teams that have moved in other cities have done. Just get rid of good players and sell to new owners so that they can have a huge salary cap to make it their team. (if that is the case...Dont know either way what will happen at this point!) I believe this will also make KJ happy because this will show the BOG that the Kings fans are not to blame for the problems the Kings have had. It will show them that with new owners that will bring new arena and new team that the people of Sacramento will make the NBA fantastic again.
Picking on TRob's salary is hardly much of a change for the positive there. In fact, once you subtract out al the enders/guys you don't have to reup (Cisco/Honeycutt/Douglas/Aldrich) the difference between TRob and Patterson's salries next year is a grand total of $400,000. The only people coming out of it with significantly more money are the OLD owners, i.e., the Maloofs.

Let me bend reality a bit here and try to make this make sense:

You can get there in one of three ways.

1) you have totally given up on TRob quickly. AND so has the rest of the league so he does not have much trade value. AND you are just trying to salvage what you can before the rest of the league catches on.

2) you have a wildly overinflated opinion of the pices you got back. Knowing what idiots we have been in the past for undersized PFs, knowing how Petrie likes to pretend to get shotblocking by getting guys in name only, knowing how much we bleat about gunning and stretch 4s and it all being perimeter now...in other words knowing a good number of the reasons why we are perennially awful, this possibility is not actually as out there as it may seem.

3) Here's the tightrope in the middle. The 1 in 1000 way this is rational. Just a couple of days ago I am talking about the value of roleplayers. Well, so we go get a couple. Patterson will team with JT to give us two roelplaying PFs who will consistently knock down open shots from Reke and Cuz. Aldridge may be no good, but it will give Smart the 5th big he has sometimes complained about not having, and a little size insurance when DeMarcus starts getting those automatic suspensions at the end of the year for all the technicals he has piled up. Douglas bears an uncanny resemblance to our other mini-chuckers, except he's tough and used to like playing defense. He could clear the way to trade one of them. Thornton for instance would be a much bigger salary saving than this move today. Jimmer or Brooks could be cleared and Douglas would be the balanceing 5th guard who can play a little of either.

See? All it takes is some rose colored glasses to ignore that Patterson can't rebound, Aldrich is a scrub, Douglas is a chucker, and we'll probably trade Reke tommorow to make room for him in the world's first 100% all mini-chucker backcourt.

Last edited:
Oh man!

Oh man! TRob is gone for a bunch of cookies.
Who's next Jimmer for candies?
Then DMC for ice cream cones?

I know some guys here wanted Aldrich over DMC before but Cole has been sitting in that bench for seasons now.
Dougles is a bigger IT who loves to chuck more shots and give lesser dimes.
Patterson?....I don't how close he is with DMC since the Wildcats days but TRob could really be something if Smart didn't played around that kid.

Now we have 4 PG and half PGs who all needs to dominate the ball to contribute.
Smart is gonna live his dream now with his super midget lineup.
Reke at C, Douglas at PF, Jimmer at SF, Brooks at SG, IT at PG.

Dang! Smart is wetting his pants now!!!

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
What happened to standing pat until the ownership change was finalized? If the Seattle group actually did give the okay on this ridiculous trade, and the sale of the team to them does go through, those fans are in for a fun ride. :) What gets me though, is that the league hasn't approved the sale yet and nobody knows if they will. What we do know is that the Maloofs will not be owners next season so basically two parties which quite possibly will have nothing to do with this team next season just made a trade that has huge implications for the future of the franchise. If there's no league rule against that there damn well should be.

Whether you actually believe in Thomas Robinson or not, the King's front office did enough to draft him at #5 over some very highly regarded prospects. Damian Lillard is well on his way to winning rookie of the year. Andre Drummond is already having a bigger impact off the bench just a year out of high school than most bigs in the league. There were strong arguments for drafting a lot of guys and our front office went with Robinson and then gave up on him less than a year later. If that's not sheer incompetence than I don't know what is. Well, actually, maybe forking over $12 million on a backup SF who barely plays. That also qualifies. Giving up a future first round pick (in addition to a former first round pick) for a player you waive midway through the next season. Acquiring a less valuable player with a more expensive contract in order to trade down in the draft. Petrie should have his two executive of the year awards retroactively rescinded for the train wreck he's put us through for the past 5+ years. At this point even Isiah Thomas has a better track record as a GM.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Any bets on whether the league looks into this trade given that the Maloofs sold a 2nd round pick less than a year ago and collected $1 mil (or whatever it is, who cares?) now. It looks like the Maloofs are cashing in the Kings. There HAS to be a rule against that or at least that "for the good of the league" clause should be invoked and the trade revoked. This trade already is drawing giggles and confusion from people around the league. Is this the image the NBA wants to project? It doesn't take a genius to figure that the fans (us) are getting screwed by being raped and pillaged. Let's be straight about this that the only people who suffer from this are the fans of the Kings.

I don't know if there is going to be a trade with Atlanta or not but let's not be naive in thinking that it will be a sound basketball move. Who will they cash in with Atlanta if that business deal actually happens?

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
About 8 hours until it passes. My guess is we see Tyreke Evans moved tomorrow for JJ Reddick.
Wouldn't actually benefit the Maloofs' pocketbook. Reke is earing $5.2mil this year, Reddick $6.0mil. So they would actually have to pay a little more this season, and squeezing out money this season is all that apparently matters. Now if they could trade Reke for a guy who only earns $4.4mil this season or some such then that's an opporuntity that no good businessman could pass up of course. Or you know you could sell IT's $800k contract to a team for a pick, or...

All kinds of half million here, half million there sorts of games you can play with the trading rules. Could keep yourself in girls and booze for weeks.

Last edited:
About 8 hours until it passes. My guess is we see Tyreke Evans moved tomorrow for JJ Reddick.
I am kind of scared that Reke and/or Cousins get traded by the deadline. I just do not trust these idiots at all! They are trying to get as much money as they can and pee off the fans in the process!

While we are on JJ Reddick, if we do go down that path, it might be for Thornton. Save money now and cut salary. Probably something Maloofs and Hansen would like. Not sure Orlando does it!

I am kind of scared that Reke and/or Cousins get traded by the deadline. I just do not trust these idiots at all! They are trying to get as much money as they can and pee off the fans in the process!

While we are on JJ Reddick, if we do go down that path, it might be for Thornton. Save money now and cut salary. Probably something Maloofs and Hansen would like. Not sure Orlando does it!
Honestly speaking I would trade MT for a package with Redick as the main piece coming back. It would give us better balance - a less ball dominant guard who actually runs plays and competes defensively and can still space the floor.

The problem I have is that I WANT to see another trade. Simply for the fact that I hate having so many stupid shoot-first guards on our team and in Smart's backpocket.
This x1000. We got rid of one of our scrubby 3's in return for a 5th big. I actually like Aldrich's potential fit as a lane-clogging shot blocker in the second unit. On size alone, he should play over Hayes.

However, Toney Douglas is pretty close to the last person I wanted to see in a Kings uniform (right after Nate Robinson.) Patrick Patterson I give a big "meh". As a 5th man, he might help our second unit not collapse in a fit of scorelessness in those second quarters.

But now we have 4 point guards and 5 if you count Tyreke (which I sorta do). Geoff Petrie's metamorphosis into Khan is nearly complete.

Honestly speaking I would trade MT for a package with Redick as the main piece coming back. It would give us better balance - a less ball dominant guard who actually runs plays and competes defensively and can still space the floor.
i would do that also.. however reddick contract expires at the end of the season and his agent is starting the bidding at i believe 10m/yr

What's the big hoopla about?

We got Patrick Patterson who is a monster rebounder and game changer. Cole Aldrich who is a beast at guarding the rim for 6 minutes a game. We got Toney Douglas who is just an efficient scoring extraordinaire. But most of all we got that CASH MONEY!

What's the big hoopla about?

We got Patrick Patterson who is a monster rebounder and game changer. Cole Aldrich who is a beast at guarding the rim for 6 minutes a game. We got Toney Douglas who is just an efficient scoring extraordinaire. But most of all we got that CASH MONEY!
i thought CASH MONEY was untouchable. guess he's not.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
This deal is freaking SABOTAGE! It's a poison pill manufactured by the Maloofs to stick it to Sacramento.

I can't even deal with this without typing numerous obscenities right now. This is so F'd up I can't even believe it.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Wasnt Petrie. They are trying their damnedest to make us all stop caring and make as much hooker money as possible in the process of giving Sacramento the middle finger. They'd sell all the lights in the arena if they could.
I TOTALLY agree with this!!!! The only reason that Cousins and Tyreke weren't included in the deal is that it would be so over the top the Commish would disallow. This terrible deal could be just gray enough that the Commish won't get inolved - even though he should!

I do not post much on this board but I'm reading it on daily basis and cover pretty much everything whats going on around Kings. I must say the last few actions from the owners have been disgusting and I have despaired of them since they broked the deal for a new arena, I know I should have earlier. They've traded a last year 5th pick with such an ease and for no basketball reason whatsoever. This trade has one obvious reason and that is of course just to spend as less money as possible on the team (as they have been doing this for few years now). Of course Robinson is not having an excellent season, but he is a player with lots of potential and we have seen some flashes of what can he do when given proper minutes on the court. With Rockets, I suppose he will have a proper role on the team and his playing time and numbers will increase. Too bad not on our team.

As a note It bears repeating here, the Maloofs have NO reason to make a trade that improves he team. he price is set they are gone. ANY last min trade will ONLY be abou scraping another million or two out or the bottom of the bowl as they head for the exit.