Malone fired

@mr_jasonjones: It's one thing for a coach to get fired and the team had tuned him out. That's not the case here. No one seems to understand why it happened
Jason Jones delivering the most true statements of anyone right now. People like Napear and Carmichael Dave want to try to talk fans into this being good and trusting the guys in charge. No thanks

A sitdown as in a private or somewhat-private meeting where people sitdown and chat. Normally one outside of normal routine. Cousins met with Mark Jackson, PDA and Mully after the previous game. He had a sitdown talk with Tyrone Corbin after this game.
Ab ok. Didn't know about tonight's sitdown. Lovely. Way to alienate the players FO..smart move.

K

KingMilz

9million dollars richer and get's out of a situation where he's forced to please a dumbass front office and coach a bunch of scrubs who invent new ways to lose every other game. Malone is actually the only winner in this situation, he can now go on and be set for life money wise and coach a better team with a respectable front office rather than having to deal with clowns in a circus.

9million dollars richer and get's out of a situation where he's forced to please a dumbass front office and coach a bunch of scrubs who invent new ways to lose every other game. Malone is actually the only winner in this situation, he can now go on and be set for life money wise and coach a better team with a respectable front office rather than having to deal with clowns in a circus.
In a way I'm happy for the guy. Not having to work for owners who would do this type of thing will be a much better situation for him. And if he gets hired for next year, he'll be making double money. Yup, set for life. Good for him.

In a way I'm happy for the guy. Not having to work for owners who would do this type of thing will be a much better situation for him. And if he gets hired for next year, he'll be making double money. Yup, set for life. Good for him.
I think Malone will be a coach nexy year no doubt about it. The record he squeezed out of the Kings with the talent level won't go unnoticed.

It's unfortunate Pete and Mullin's ego got in the way of winning. They spent so much time convincing Vivek that Malone's style of playing wouldn't be conducive to winning, but the hot start undermined their philosophy.

K

KingMilz

I think Malone will be a coach nexy year no doubt about it. The record he squeezed out of the Kings with the talent level won't go unnoticed.

It's unfortunate Pete and Mullin's ego got in the way of winning. They spent so much time convincing Vivek that Malone's style of playing wouldn't be conducive to winning, but the hot start undermined their philosophy.
Nor will the fact he got the most out of guys who were deemed hard to work with in Cousins/Gay and a guy who pretty much everyone including myself was prepared to give up on in Ben, the development and ability to control players like Rudy and connect with Cousins and make a team that has not ever played defense into a decent defensive team tells you everything you need to know.

A sitdown as in a private or somewhat-private meeting where people sitdown and chat. Normally one outside of normal routine. Cousins met with Mark Jackson, PDA and Mully after the previous game. He had a sitdown talk with Tyrone Corbin after this game.
How do you know Cousins had a talk with Tyrone after the game?

Gotta say it, this keeps feeling worse, and worse, and worse.

This quote is heartbreaking.

"I feel as though DeMarcus and I have a special connection and bond,” said Malone. “We both want what’s best for the other man and the team.”

This is franchise altering folks.

It's going to be a free fall on the court as the players give up, like the front office gave up on them.

Vivek, you let this happen. Shame on you.

grant is a mouthpiece. dave is not too far behind.
Yeah but the encouraging thing to me is that inside Dave has been beating the drum on twitter about George Karl. So maybe they really will get that done.

I'm currently feeling out my season ticket partners for their feelings about renewing. I have perfect seats in the current arena, pretty decent priority for the new arena, and I'm hoping to get my partners' blessing to just forget the whole thing - will just buy tickets a game at a time from desperate scalpers instead. That is, unless they hire George Karl or Rick Adelman before the deadline for that decision comes up. One of the partners has indicated a thumbs down (agrees with abandoning the tix) ... I'm really interested to see if either of the other two say "no - wait - don't - they must have a wonderful plan".

I don't think I'm the only STH who feels this way - not by a long shot. That's how bad I think Pete D'Allesandro has peed all over my team with this firing. Just not gonna write a $10K check to this freaking bunch of clowns. Not gonna. And not that my personal membership matters that much, but I think Vivek is going to realize pretty soon if he hasn't already, that he has been advised to make a colossal blunder here in basketball AND PR terms. If he was planning on pricey PSL's for the best seats, well lotsa luck with that now V. And maybe he will fire the gerbil over it.

Bottom line he has got to hire George Karl or Rick Adelman to make this go away. A season of interim Ty Corbin is going to cost him good will and real money.

won't make a damn difference what he's beating the drum to on coaches. mully is in vivek's ear. there is probably a handshake agreement in place to be the next coach. would not shock me at all if that were the case. in fact, i'd rather that be the case. get it over with already. it's inevitable.

Yeah but the encouraging thing to me is that inside Dave has been beating the drum on twitter about George Karl. So maybe they really will get that done.

I'm currently feeling out my season ticket partners for their feelings about renewing. I have perfect seats in the current arena, pretty decent priority for the new arena, and I'm hoping to get my partners' blessing to just forget the whole thing - will just buy tickets a game at a time from desperate scalpers instead. That is, unless they hire George Karl or Rick Adelman before the deadline for that decision comes up. One of the partners has indicated a thumbs down (agrees with abandoning the tix) ... I'm really interested to see if either of the other two say "no - wait - don't - they must have a wonderful plan".

I don't think I'm the only STH who feels this way - not by a long shot. That's how bad I think Pete D'Allesandro has peed all over my team with this firing. Just not gonna write a $10K check to this freaking bunch of clowns. Not gonna. And not that my personal membership matters that much, but I think Vivek is going to realize pretty soon if he hasn't already, that he has been advised to make a colossal blunder here in basketball AND PR terms. If he was planning on pricey PSL's for the best seats, well lotsa luck with that now V. And maybe he will fire the gerbil over it.

Bottom line he has got to hire George Karl or Rick Adelman to make this go away. A season of interim Ty Corbin is going to cost him good will and real money.
You're right on...I'm in the same spot you are. Hard to justify continuing to pour money into this. There's been a fair amount of STH chatter on Twitter about this very subject and it seems as though there are a lot of people talking about bailing at the end of the season. This was an incredibly poor basketball decision...but maybe an even worse business decision.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
anybody wanna put wager on when big cuz will demand a trade? he did it w/ westfail and he won't put up w/ bs from another lame duck coach.
Cuz will never demand a trade. He has said it a few times and clearly he sees the success or failure of the Kings as riding on his shoulders. This is a unique man. I think he takes responsibility too much. It can't be easy being a DeMarcus.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
It was reported after the game via a tweet. I think it was Jones or Cunningham.
I wonder what that was about. A just a chill out big guy, let's get this thing back on track sort of talk. Or was this again some sort of semi-formal coaching interview? Aka, we'll fire the coach you liked, but now that he's gone NOW we'll consult you.

So it's pretty horrible that the Kings made this move: after we opened training camp; but so early into the season with a thought process that was essentially "should Malone be our coach going forward?" without giving enough concern to "of everybody available right now, including Malone, who would be best to coach most of this season?"

Because they screwed up and botched the firing that way, you would expect that the Kings would finish most of this season with Corbin, who is an inferior coach to Malone. But, because Corbin stinks, some players may be pissed, losing teams return to bad habits regression is a big issue. Because the Kings are talking to coaches and won't give more than a present tense backing of Corbin, there is a real risk some players check out for a while if things get ugly. the team is taking a ton of heat for good reason and last night's loss to a depleted Bucks team playing on a back to back hurt on the public perception of the front office and owner.

The next 8 games are
Lakers
@ Warriors
Suns
Knicks
@Nets
@Celtics
@ Twovles
@ Pistons

Then the Kings have a 6 game home stand.

The 6 games in bold are very winnable. The Kings go 4-4, things will calm down, and Corbin should be able to make at least the all-star game.

But, if thing go badly like 2-6 or perhaps even 3-5 but dropping 3 out of 4 on the road trip with some dispirited play ... I just can't see how somebody else isn't coach the team on January 7 (Thunder again.)

And for everybody pounding it better be somebody other than Corbin ASAP button ... what if the choices are green Mullin without good assistants, Vinny, Mark Jackson, and the team is legitimately concerned that Karl's health may make him a shell of his former self (like Adleman's last few TWolves seasons.) Corbin sucks and the team screwed up, but other candidates will be available this summer.

Are we sure that we want PDA to make a panic hire in early January if it ends up being crummy and he isn't going to fire his third coach when things go bad because he's effectively signing his own pink slip at the end of that year? That sounds fine if you don't want Corbin and want PDA to go ... but how you get there means the Kings will be starting totally over.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Are we sure that we want PDA to make a panic hire in early January if it ends up being crummy and he isn't going to fire his third coach when things go bad because he's effectively signing his own pink slip at the end of that year? That sounds fine if you don't want Corbin and want PDA to go ... but how you get there means the Kings will be starting totally over.
Panic hire? I know what you mean but jeeze, if you don't have a better coach than Malone lined up already then why on Earth are you canning the guy?!? "Panic FIRE" is what it sounds like happened to create this mess.

Quite honestly there are very few scenarios where I don't see the Kings firing D'Alessandro and starting over. Unless the next coaching hire is an unmitigated and out of the box success the only questions in my mind are (1) How long until the rebuild? and (2) Do we lose Cousins?

Oh, and I'd wager pretty much anything that Chris Mullin would be a disaster of a head coach next season.