Are you kidding me? Robinson Traded?

A lot of people keep pointing out the fact that TRob was picked #5. But why throw good money after bad. You realize you drafted a guy who isn't panning out, you swallow hard, and you ship him out.

I heard Grant really ream a guy last night on this topic.. and I'm something of a Grant hater but on this one I agreed with him completely. He had just hung up with a columnist in Houston who said the Rockets lost from a basketball standpoint. It was pretty funny the way Grant chewed the subsequent caller (who said Grant was just mouthpiecing for the Maloofs about the trade) and you could just hear the spit hitting the microphone.

TRob gone... I don't care. I don't think he was going to amount to much anyway. Maybe he could have fetched a little more, maybe he could have dumped Salmons too... but overall this is not a big deal. It didn't rip the core of the team to shreds, it didn't undermine our future prospects in any significant way.

Mark Mastrov's list of things to do:
1) Buy Kings
2) Fire Geoff Petrie
3) Have a beer

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Good coaching or bad coaching you could see if a player had that "it factor" and Robinson did not have it. He looked to be another Shelden Williams. High draft pick with mediocre talent. I still do like Shelden though. LOVED him at Duke.

Not that I am saying that about Patterson or the other two players we got. I don't really much care for them either. I did think Patterson would have been a better rebounder in the NBA though.
Couldn't disagree more about the comparison of Sheden Williams, an earthbound unathletic power forward, and Robinson. They are not remotely close in their characteristics.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
A lot of people keep pointing out the fact that TRob was picked #5. But why throw good money after bad. You realize you drafted a guy who isn't panning out, you swallow hard, and you ship him out.

I heard Grant really ream a guy last night on this topic.. and I'm something of a Grant hater but on this one I agreed with him completely. He had just hung up with a columnist in Houston who said the Rockets lost from a basketball standpoint. It was pretty funny the way Grant chewed the subsequent caller (who said Grant was just mouthpiecing for the Maloofs about the trade) and you could just hear the spit hitting the microphone.

TRob gone... I don't care. I don't think he was going to amount to much anyway. Maybe he could have fetched a little more, maybe he could have dumped Salmons too... but overall this is not a big deal. It didn't rip the core of the team to shreds, it didn't undermine our future prospects in any significant way.

Mark Mastrov's list of things to do:
1) Buy Kings
2) Fire Geoff Petrie
3) Have a beer
I heard Grant also. Said he thought Robinson had more to be a bust than an excellent player. Said Patterson was a better player today than Robinson. Said this trade made a lot of sense and Pollard saw Robinson's shortcomings. He didn't say why exactly we should trust that Petrie is right now in trading Robinson after four months in his career, when he was wrong when he drafted him. He also didn't say that guys like Patterson are dime a dozen guys and that even if a guy has a 40% chance of being excellent vs. a bust you'd better put your money on the 40% because it's the excellent players that make a difference in the NBA, not the Patterson's of the world. He also didn't seem to recognize that the "tweener" Robinson is being traded for the "tweener" Patterson. Nor did he emphasize that Patterson is a putrid rebounder for his position and that is a major weakness of the Kings.

So now the trade deadline is past let's all just hope and pray that the brothers McGoof are gone before the draft.... imagine what they could do TO a #1 pick?

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Couldn't disagree more about the comparison of Sheden Williams, an earthbound unathletic power forward, and Robinson. They are not remotely close in their characteristics.
I don't think Gary's post was about the two players being similar as players, but as being similar in where they were drafted. The point being, that just because your drafted high, that in of itself doesn't make you a good player. And that Sheldon Williams was an example of that. Everything else is apples and oranges.

S

sactownfan

Ok we can still be bummed about not drafting Lillard or whoever... but as far as Patterson vs Robinson... i think we got the better player ... Patterson may not have the raw potential that Robinson might have... but the dude is just a rock solid role guy.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
And Toney Douglas isn't too bad either, being the key in the 4th quarter recently. And tho' Aldrich was a throw in, he is showing a nice piece of work subbing for Cuz. Looking more and more Kings may have gotten best of the deal.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
And Toney Douglas isn't too bad either, being the key in the 4th quarter recently. And tho' Aldrich was a throw in, he is showing a nice piece of work subbing for Cuz. Looking more and more Kings may have gotten best of the deal.
We'll see. They definitely got the better of it *today*. Three years from now may be a different story.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Aldrich and Douglas are both going to be free agents in a month. We could have picked them both up without giving away our last lotto pick. If Petrie is still GM next off-season his classic move would be to now make a bad decision even worse by paying them above-market value for two months of career production which they will likely never match again. Robinson wasn't ready to compete at this level yet, that doesn't mean he won't be the better player in a couple years. But if making the team marginally better for the last 30 games of this season was the goal then mission accomplished.

Aldrich and Douglas are both going to be free agents in a month. We could have picked them both up without giving away our last lotto pick. If Petrie is still GM next off-season his classic move would be to now make a bad decision even worse by paying them above-market value for two months of career production which they will likely never match again. Robinson wasn't ready to compete at this level yet, that doesn't mean he won't be the better player in a couple years. But if making the team marginally better for the last 30 games of this season was the goal then mission accomplished.
If you want to start winning, do it 70 games ago.

Robinson is a stiff. End of story. I am leader of the Petrie sucks parade but this particular move was not so bad. I'm sure the book on Robinson is that he is a bust, and there was not a line of suitors. If TRob was a stock, he'd be what is referred to as a falling knife. I'm glad we're rid of him. And I have never been accused of being a Petrie lapdog. It's just that TRob is REALLY THAT BAD. Terrible draft pick by Geoff - he hadn't done his homework.... but a good trade imo.

hrdboild

Staff member
If you want to start winning, do it 70 games ago.
Yeah, that's more or less what I said. We have an annoying habit of doing nothing about our problems in the off-season and then working something out mid-season that makes us just good enough to miss out on all the best prospects.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
Well, Robinson's been averaging about 5 pts and 5 boards...

You're right though, he may eventually blossom, but if the team wasn't going to be patient enough to invest in his development to see that develop (if it does at all), I guess it made sense to move him. We've got two others that are a bit more important to the long term success of this franchise.

Well, Robinson's been averaging about 5 pts and 5 boards...

You're right though, he may eventually blossom, but if the team wasn't going to be patient enough to invest in his development to see that develop (if it does at all), I guess it made sense to move him. We've got two others that are a bit more important to the long term success of this franchise.
the fact remains that it was exceedingly poor management on the part of the kings organization. if they were never going to invest in t-rob's development, why make the pick in the first place? the fifth pick in the 2012 draft had value as an asset. you trade it prior to the draft or on draft night if you have no intention of investing in whatever player you draft. because lottery picks are so valuable per the new cba, the kings might have been able to parlay a top-5 pick into a starting-level contributor. it's embarrassing just how mismanaged this franchise truly is...

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
the fact remains that it was exceedingly poor management on the part of the kings organization. if they were never going to invest in t-rob's development, why make the pick in the first place? the fifth pick in the 2012 draft had value as an asset. you trade it prior to the draft or on draft night if you have no intention of investing in whatever player you draft. because lottery picks are so valuable per the new cba, the kings might have been able to parlay a top-5 pick into a starting-level contributor. it's embarrassing just how mismanaged this franchise truly is...
Well it was obvious what happened on that day -- I was a Drummond guy. The Kings went with the "sure thing" instead. The relatively experienced guy. The mature guy with the mature game yadda yadda. They weren't intending to develop anything. They were going for shortsighted ready to play, and just didn't realize that midget PFs without high skill levels are rarely ready to go out of the box. So now you are in a developmental situation with a guy who may never develop, and multiple superior players ahead of him who's contracts are ending and who need the support now, not in the future. So we punted on the pick.

hrdboild

Staff member
Well it was obvious what happened on that day -- I was a Drummond guy. The Kings went with the "sure thing" instead. The relatively experienced guy. The mature guy with the mature game yadda yadda. They weren't intending to develop anything. They were going for shortsighted ready to play, and just didn't realize that midget PFs without high skill levels are rarely ready to go out of the box. So now you are in a developmental situation with a guy who may never develop, and multiple superior players ahead of him who's contracts are ending and who need the support now, not in the future. So we punted on the pick.
A similar situation happened with the Jimmer pick, so it wouldn't surprise me if this is at least somewhat accurate. Supposedly Jimmer was ready to step in and play PG. They were so confident he could do it that they traded Beno Udrih on draft day. Oops. Which makes me wonder if they even bother scouting anymore because even though Robinson didn't come in for a workout, he played a full season of college ball as the featured player on a marquee team. Heck, he was in the national championship game even. And it took him a couple months to settle in, but for the most part he looked like the same type of player in the NBA that he was in college. Jimmer played four seasons at BYU and his strengths and weaknesses were on full display. Primarily a scorer, can shoot from anywhere, doesn't defend well, athletically limited compared to NBA PGs, can be sloppy with the basketball. This stuff is obvious to me and I watch college ball part-time as a hobby not a job. Then again, it may just be that these guys were close to NBA ready and our coaching staff is so bad that they've regressed instead. But that's also on the front office for sticking with this crew for a second season despite enormous evidence that they were not up to par.

Maybe it's not coincidence that we get these players who've spent most of the season under legitimate NBA leadership (Byron Scott, Rick Adelman, Kevin McHale) and they blossom with extended minutes when they first get here and then slowly decline as our brilliant staff starts to coach them on their new "role".

Last edited:
Yeah, that's more or less what I said. We have an annoying habit of doing nothing about our problems in the off-season and then working something out mid-season that makes us just good enough to miss out on all the best prospects.
We can't win properly or lose properly.

When we lose trades, it makes us worse.

When we "win" trades, it still makes us worse.

To be a Kings fan.

A similar situation happened with the Jimmer pick, so it wouldn't surprise me if this is at least somewhat accurate. Supposedly Jimmer was ready to step in and play PG. They were so confident he could do it that they traded Beno Udrih on draft day. Oops. Which makes me wonder if they even bother scouting anymore because even though Robinson didn't come in for a workout, he played a full season of college ball as the featured player on a marquee team. Heck, he was in the national championship game even. And it took him a couple months to settle in, but for the most part he looked like the same type of player in the NBA that he was in college. Jimmer played four seasons at BYU and his strengths and weaknesses were on full display. Primarily a scorer, can shoot from anywhere, doesn't defend well, athletically limited compared to NBA PGs, can be sloppy with the basketball. This stuff is obvious to me and I watch college ball part-time as a hobby not a job. Then again, it may just be that these guys were close to NBA ready and our coaching staff is so bad that they've regressed instead. But that's also on the front office for sticking with this crew for a second season despite enormous evidence that they were not up to par.

Maybe it's not coincidence that we get these players who've spent most of the season under legitimate NBA leadership (Byron Scott, Rick Adelman, Kevin McHale) and they blossom with extended minutes when they first get here and then slowly decline as our brilliant staff starts to coach them on their new "role".
u must've meant confuse. lol thats all the head coach does. we are playing poor man's nellie ball