Are you kidding me? Robinson Traded?

Kelly Dwyer, talking about the Maloofs and their latest cash grab:

"...Of course, the season is nearly two-thirds over, and those full-year salaries are nearly two-thirds paid. The savings aren’t even that significant. The Kings just dealt Thomas Robinson to save 27 games worth of salary on a player that they selected eight months ago as a top five pick. These are the Sacramento Kings owners. They frost their tips, they fail at business, and they dislike Sacramento Kings fans..."

Rest here
My favorite part:

"The current Sacramento Kings owners have proven time and time again that they do not care about the squad’s fans, the community that surrounds the team, and the product on the court. The Sacramento Kings owners are sniveling, conniving front-runners that do not understand the game of basketball, much less the ideals that help buttress attempts at tact, poise and reason. Also, they just traded a rookie lottery pick in order to save a few hundred thousand bucks as their final miserable season as Kings owners nears its end."

How can they chuck Fran at this point? They kept him this long just to throw him in !!???

This trade is pretty odd, but I am happy that Thomas Robinson gets to go to a team that cares about winning and its players. I'm sure he will have a lot more fun playing for them. I would have rather the Kings traded for Lowry with the #5 pick. What am I saying, it probably would have cost more money and that's why they didn't do it.

Welcome to the Kings, Patrick.. I'm sure you'll hate it. Let Chuck, JJ, and Outlaw explain to you how things work. I wonder how long it will take him and the others to learn Smart's offensive sets? 15 minutes tops.
At least George gets to use that mil for another blow party....and, really, that's priceless.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Isn't that pretty much the kiss of death? Like ownership showing faith in the GM/Coach?

Chris Palmer@ESPNChrisPalmerabout 8 minutes ago

Multiple folks reporting Tyreke to Celtics dead. Love the idea, though.

Read more: http://hoopshype.com/twitter/media.html#ixzz2LYRhLcRj

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

James Ham@James_Hamabout 15 minutes ago

I was told last night that Tyreke Evans was told he was safe.

Read more: http://hoopshype.com/twitter/media.html#ixzz2LYS1aTEm

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sam Amico@SamAmicoFSOabout 18 minutes ago

Source texted to say "no legs" behind reports of Kings' Tyreke Evans to Celtics, and while there may have been talks, they're dead now.

Read more: http://hoopshype.com/twitter/media.html#ixzz2LYSBX2q4

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jason Jones@mr_jasonjonesabout 31 minutes ago

Just told Tyreke Evans won't be dealt today by person familiar with the situation. Kings leave for ATL in about 90 minutes

Read more: http://hoopshype.com/twitter/media.html#ixzz2LYSfKScS
I'll choose to stay positive about this for the next three hours at least.

Bill Simmons and Zach Lowe rip the Kings for making that trade. Worth a read for some laughs (and tears):

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8970449/the-trade-deadline-exchange-part-1

Some highlights:

Simmons (6:30 a.m.): All right, I'm up, I'm drinking coffee, I'm ready to go. What did you think of Houston fleecing Sacramento for Thomas Robinson?[SUP][/SUP]
Lowe: Cost-cutting may well have been a motive during an awkward period for the franchise, and if it was, well, have fun digesting that one, Sacto fans. Of course, Patterson is a year away from the expiration of his rookie deal, after which point he'll become more expensive. Robinson has three years left on his rookie deal. Math is fun.

Simmons: There were so many appalling things about that trade... It's the kind of trade that happens when your owners are broke... that's the worst trade anyone's made in years... the Kings were put together like The Pickup Team From Hell. Before this trade, they had a playing rotation that included four point guards and four power forwards.

Simmons: I gotta be honest, Zach … I didn't think trades like this could still happen in 2013. Basketball coverage is so merciless now... Enjoy, Kings fans! Is it possible the Maloofs made this deal to try to encourage Seattle's ownership group to back out? I'm not ruling this out.

What an infuriating development (trading TRob for donuts).
The Kings should have traded that #5 pick last year, as I and many others suggested.

The moral of this tragic story is that ALL Kings fans should stop over-valuing the promise and uncertainty of draft picks over established NBA vets.

Way too many KF's over-estimate the impact a rookie may have.
For every stud rookie, there's 20+ who never become anything in the league.
The past 2 years, in particular, the Kings have had VERY tradeable draft picks, and they've kept them (or inexplicably traded down for nothing) instead of using them to get a real game-changing player (vet).

I hope the TRob saga will put an end to KF's saying we should keep that unknown draft commodity instead of trading it for a proven vet.

What an infuriating development (trading TRob for donuts).
The Kings should have traded that #5 pick last year, as I and many others suggested.

The moral of this tragic story is that ALL Kings fans should stop over-valuing the promise and uncertainty of draft picks over established NBA vets.

Way too many KF's over-estimate the impact a rookie may have.
For every stud rookie, there's 20+ who never become anything in the league.
The past 2 years, in particular, the Kings have had VERY tradeable draft picks, and they've kept them (or inexplicably traded down for nothing) instead of using them to get a real game-changing player (vet).

I hope the TRob saga will put an end to KF's saying we should keep that unknown draft commodity instead of trading it for a proven vet.
Are you serious here? The Maloofs do an absolute ridiculous trade and you are trying to spin it into you being right while teaching "KF's" some morals? This trade had everything to do with cutting costs but somehow you are trying to tie it to trading our lottery picks for vets. Go ahead and give it another go at convincing us that what you suggested was the right thing to do. Some other story you come up with would most likely be more convincing that you are right and we are wrong.

Last edited:
@CarmichaelDave
Loving the conspiracy theories. If we are going to entertain, why not just say Maloofs made the trade to sway the Houston Owners' vote?

Horrible Horrible Horrible!!! I DOUBT Morey would sell his soul to the evil Maloofs, but who the heck knows these days!?

a lot of chatter on twitter about morey ascending in the gm ranks after a deal like this, HOU saves money in the long term, argueably gets better in the long term,

Yeah some were saying T-rob is a bust etc but at least he was on a (cheap) rookie deal and who knows with a real coach and real role he may have amounted to a solid pro, his ceiling is certainly much higher than PPs at this point. instead we get PP for one year at which point he gets real expensive if we decide to keep him. only the magoofs do this short term cash grab to hurt us in the future.

A cost cutting deal. How about the basketball side? Awful, so-so, OK? This board did not value the play of TRob or Garcia or Honeycutt. How about Patterson, Aldrich and Douglas? Any value? Will team play worsen? Nothing of this is real clear to me at the moment. I'll be watching play with interest.

Bricklayer

a lot of chatter on twitter about morey ascending in the gm ranks after a deal like this, HOU saves money in the long term, argueably gets better in the long term,

Yeah some were saying T-rob is a bust etc but at least he was on a (cheap) rookie deal and who knows with a real coach and real role he may have amounted to a solid pro, his ceiling is certainly much higher than PPs at this point. instead we get PP for one year at which point he gets real expensive if we decide to keep him. only the magoofs do this short term cash grab to hurt us in the future.
Well 2 things: 1) Patterson isn' going to get TOO expensive. he's an MLE guy. And 2) with new ownership we could keep him if we wanted.

But that said...duh.

Of course I was always of the school that TRob should not have been here, Drummond should, or if not Drummond then Lowry. Now we're down to Patterson. Sigh. Its like Geoff looked back fondly on a couple of years ago, realized he ahd screwed up...but unfrotunately got confused again on WHERE he screwed up and tried to recreate Cuz/JT/Landry rather than Cuz/JT/Daly.

I will as a tiny bone throw out this again though: Only 2 players on our team have been efficient shooters this year: JT and Reke. Patterson will become a 3rd, and if he's good enough to knock Chuck into spot duty in a 3man rotation, then all of a sudden our frontcourt will get a lot more efficient offensively as a group and consistently hit open shots at least.

T-Rob is going to come back and kill us every time he plays us now, and will be a dominant player for years...and this will go down with the other horrible trades that have been made in our history.

Bricklayer

T-Rob is going to come back and kill us every time he plays us now, and will be a dominant player for years...and this will go down with the other horrible trades that have been made in our history.
I have no idea what player you have been watching, but that at least I am not concerned about. He could still easily be better than Patterson though, and should have had more value than this. This was both Petrie dumb (look! a shooter!) and Maloof dumb (look! money!).

P.S. as an aside, deadline passed without any more damage apparently. Small favors.

Well 2 things: 1) Patterson isn' going to get TOO expensive. he's an MLE guy. And 2) with new ownership we could keep him if we wanted.

But that said...duh.

Of course I was always of the school that TRob should not have been here, Drummond should, or if not Drummond then Lowry. Now we're down to Patterson. Sigh. Its like Geoff looked back fondly on a couple of years ago, realized he ahd screwed up...but unfrotunately got confused again on WHERE he screwed up and tried to recreate Cuz/JT/Landry rather than Cuz/JT/Daly.

I will as a tiny bone throw out this again though: Only 2 players on our team have been efficient shooters this year: JT and Reke. Patterson will become a 3rd, and if he's good enough to knock Chuck into spot duty in a 3man rotation, then all of a sudden our frontcourt will get a lot more efficient offensively as a group and consistently hit open shots at least.
He will at least get JT money/years if not more but the timing of his rookie deal hurts the most, it will be around when a few of our young guys will be due for raises if we decide to keep them, plus we will have had only 1 year to evaluate him in sacramento and how he meshes with cousins/JT etc now that may be enough to conclude weather or not he deserves a 4/5 yr deal but more time would have been ideal. I dont mind PP so much as I hate the fact that we gave up on a top 5 pick so dam early.

I have no idea what player you have been watching, but that at least I am not concerned about. He could still easily be better than Patterson though, and should have had more value than this. This was both Petrie dumb (look! a shooter!) and Maloof dumb (look! money!).

P.S. as an aside, deadline passed without any more damage apparently. Small favors.
Yup...oh, and what I saw was a great player in the wings a couple years in T-Rob that was just as frustrated by the horrible and misguided leadership in Smart, the Maloofs, and Petrie. No way a young player like T-Rob can grow in an environment like this, just like Cousins...we all know he acts out alot that gets him in trouble, but he has nobody to mentor him and grow him on this team, and that is a total shame!