Tropical Island Movie Draft Thread - ROUND 20 FINISHED!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Ok ok, I kid I kid.

But she did send me her final pick, and this was it (for real):

White Christmas (1954)

She said it's one of her favorite musicals, that Vera Ellen is one of her idols in dance, and that it's a holiday tradition sge wouldn't be able to live without even if my white Christmas is more of a mele kalikimaka.

Last edited:
with my last pick i'm choosing a movie i was gonna take in the 10th round but its still here so here goes

Blow- 2001

johnny depp and ray liotta did a stellar job in this one.

Once (2007)

One more music movie for me. This one is really great. Cute little, unpretentious indie movie that came off really good. Both leads are excellent in their respective roles and absolutely great in music scenes. If I didn't see it in a real cinema I'd never had idea that musicians performance can come off so good in a movie. Sure, there are some music documentaries with live footage where you can almost feel the vibe of the show, but this is not a documentary and Glenn Hansard and Marketa Irglova still pull it off.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
I am going to take a cute little musical here that I enjoyed more than I thought I would. I think the best part of this film is the fact that it is Disney poking fun at Disney, and they do it well. It is a fun movie and rounds out the romantic comedy needs in my list.

Enchanted (2007)

From wiki:

The film, both homage to and a self-parody of conventional Disney animated features, makes numerous references to Disney's past and future works, and blends live action filmmaking, traditional animation and computer-generated imagery. The plot focuses on Giselle, an archetypal Disney Princess who is forced from her 2D-animated world of Andalasia into real-life New York City.

The film heralds the return of traditional animation to a Disney feature film after the company's decision to move entirely to computer animation in 2004.

Starring Amy Adams, Patrick Dempsey, James Marsden, Timothy Spall, Idina Menzel, Rachel Covey, and Susan Sarandon, the film was well-received critically and garnered two nominations at the 65th Golden Globe Awards and three nominations at the 80th Academy Awards. The film also proved to be a commercial success, earning more than $340 million worldwide at the box office.

Queen Narissa: [Giselle climbs towards her] Oh look, here's a twist! The brave princess is coming to the rescue.
[looks at Robert]
Queen Narissa: I guess that makes you the damsel in distress, huh, handsome?

[Prince Edward is on top of a bus thinking it is a dragon]
Prince Edward: You've met your match, you foul bellowing beast!
[Edward stabs the bus and every passenger is in shock]
Bus Driver: Everybody stay on the bus.
Prince Edward: The steel beast is dead peasants! I've set you all free!
Bus Driver: [gets off the bus and yells at Edward] Are you crazy? Nobody stabs my bus! I'll tear you apart! Do you hear me? You get down here right now!

Giselle: Oh, well, I wouldn't worry about Pip. He is very brave. I remember this one time, when the poor wolf was being chased by Little Red Riding Hood around his grandmother's house, and she had an axe... oh, and if Pip hadn't been walking by to help I don't know what would've happened!
Morgan Philip: I don't really remember that version.
Giselle: Well, that's because Red tells it a little differently.

[Prince Edward sits on a remote control and sees the TV turn on]
Prince Edward: It seems as if this box controls the Magic Mirror.

Giselle: What about you? How long have you known your Nancy?
Robert: Uh, five years.
Giselle: And you haven't proposed?
Robert: Well, no, I...
Giselle: Well no wonder she's angry.

Attachments

Warhawk

Staff member
I know a few folks have their last pick to select, but in looking over the lists this morning there are some tough decisions to be made when voting! Lots of variety, people stealing great movies in later rounds, some obvious genre-dominated lists and some with more of a "shotgun" approach to appeal to everyone. This is going to be much tougher to vote on than the music one for me.

I know a few folks have their last pick to select, but in looking over the lists this morning there are some tough decisions to be made when voting! Lots of variety, people stealing great movies in later rounds, some obvious genre-dominated lists and some with more of a "shotgun" approach to appeal to everyone. This is going to be much tougher to vote on than the music one for me.
True, but only one list has the film with this song and these fight scenes :D
[yt=You're The Best Around]9fWvub_WBho[/yt]

Pure lyrical genius!!;)

Truth is spoken here. A lot of people have some very good lists.

Although, Lowenherz was having a great list and then I went and let him get The Dark Knight too! I'm predicting his victory right here, right now.

Hell, with all the overruling of myself that goes around here, you would think there would've been more of a fit thrown when I let him grab that movie. He did find a real loophole in the rule though...shoulda made picks only available when movies come out in your country. But then, just the first guy with the pick on the 18th would've held it till they could make it.

Either way, excellent lists all. Especially you, Lowen.

Well since I am stuck on island I will need at least one Christmas for holidays. My favorite movie of the holiday season. It came down between two movies one a christmass movie and the another one(The Legend of 1900) . Too bad I could not pick both because the second one is a claasic. I recommend anyone to rent it.

Miracle on 34th Street (1947)

The one thing that bothers me the most when watching this movie recently on T.V. is the color. Why do the studios need to colorize old black and white movies. It is really runes the atmosphere and depth of the older movies. It really pisses me off. There is no need alter classic movies. They're classics for a reason. Now I got that off my chest I recommend to everybody if you have a chance to see an old classic movie see it in it's original format.

Last edited:
Tolkien sucks. Hobbits suck. LOTR sucks.

Phew... I needed that.
count me as a non fan as well. completely overrated and painfully long IMO. no offense to anyone who likes them.
I fell asleep in two of them...I NEVER do that.
... have seen none of them despite peer pressure to do so, I read the Hobbitt in 6th grade and that's about as far as I'm willing to go.
Y'all can kiss my Nazgul

Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring - Special Extended Edition - 2001

I should start by saying I am NOT a Tolkien fan, nor have I read any part of the trilogy, I was actually dragged to this the first time by a LOTR obsessed friend.

But once the movie began, I was amazed by the stunning visuals, drawn in by the partially simplistic good-versus-evil storyline supplimented with an insane level of detail and utterly impressed at the filmmaking in bringing such rampant imagination to life,

I think even all you "ring haters" would have to agree that the skill needed to bring Tolkien's creation to life was fairly stunning.

And you know, I do have this to back me up: 92 percent rating on Rotten Tomatoes (one last plug :D), grossed more than $271 million in US ($870 million worldwide), nominated for 13 academy awards including best picture (lost to "A Beautiful Mind") winning four including best director.

I enjoy and appreciate the trilogy as a whole, but The Fellowship is my personal favorite partially because it focuses on the Nine party members rather than the epic battles of the latter two.

But mostly because it was an absolute and awesome shock to leave the theater having actually enjoyed it.

And making it a perfect capper to my list, which, with the exception of The Dark Knight, MST3K and Jurassic Park, are all movies I thought I'd hate until I bothered to sit down and watch them :D

*Note: Added "Special Extended Edition" ... wouldn't my version to be inferrior to my fellow Ring Holders.

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Well that worked out nicely -- the remaining LOTRs had lately emerged out of the pack of possibilities for my 20th pick, and as it turned out the one remaining is maybe my favorite of the series anyway (and since I have read the books, several times, I am unlikely to forget what came before or comes after and taking the middle of the trilogy bothers me not at all):

The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers - Special Extended Edition (2003)

Once upon a time my sword & sorcery flick for this draft was going to feature a large very pissed off gubernator hacking people's limbs off in a lifelong quest for vengenace against James Earl Jones for lopping his mom's pretty little head off and feeding his dad to the wolves. However, that twas not to be, and the question became as I began running out of picks whether I would have time for any sword hacking going on at all. But the appeal of not only having probably my favorite of the three LOTR movies still available, but being able to take the Special Extended Version, which both makes it a far more complete story and gives me almost two complete movies at an epic 3 hours 43 minutes, was just too hard to resist. This is precisely the sort of big entertainment my island is about, and long after I have memorized every line from some of my more modest movies, this epic will continue to entertain. Its the grimmest of the three movies, which is part of its attraction, and the desperation at the brilliantly rendered Battle of Helm's Deep gives the movie a poignancy different in flavor from the other two. In any case, while much like The Dark Knight I felt that the hype often overran the actual movies in the series, the movies themselves were still absolutely massive accomplishments, and despite its flaws (mostly centering around misunderstanding of some characters and a little gratuitous Hollywood cheese inserted by a director better at spectacle than detail) this one stands as maybe my favorite of the three.

Last edited:

Warhawk

Staff member
The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers - Special Extended Edition (2003)
I was wondering if you were going to take this in the last round after your comments earlier..... ;) And the Special Extended Edition, too? Have you turned to the dark side? Are we going to have to make sure our islans are close together with L's so we can do a triple-feature?

And Conan the Destroyer (and heck, Red Sonja!) were still available, you could have chosen one of those fine films instead. :p

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Oh my.

Of all the movies that you could not imagine ever being remade, that would have to be at the top of the list. So let me guess here...some hack must have made it into a comic boo...er, excuse me, "graphic novel", to get it down to Rodriguez's mentality?

Real shocker too on his choice of actress for the role.

And all of that said, it could not possibly under any circumstances be any worse.

Last edited:

Warhawk

Staff member
Oh my.

Of all the movies that you could not imagine ever being remade, that would have to be at the top of the list. So let me guess here...some hack must have made it into a comic boo...er, excuse me, "graphic novel", to get it down to Rodriguez's mentality?

And all of that said, it could not possibly under any circumstances be any worse.
I think I agree with all of this. :eek:

Oh my.

She actually started as a character in the 70s Conan the Barbarian comic books, which then branched into solo Red Sonja comic books. That's what the 1985 movie was based on.

If you'd told me that Red Sonja was being remade with no other information, I'd have written it off as an immediate pass. As an unapologetic Rodriguez fan girl, though, I'll definitely be there.

And, it's true, the remake really can't be any worse than the original. I love the original Red Sonja (or, at least, I did -- haven't seen it in MANY years), but it's still just lovable cheese.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
Did you get those posters at comic con, GGG. I have friends that are down there (San Diego) for the con. I would have gone if I had the time off.

JFK - 1991

Well..for my finale..I'm coming full circle to take another "legal" film. (Hey, it had courtroom scenes)...I'm going to go with a pick I might have made a while ago but pushed back. I am going with a movie I could watch repeatedly, like sorta I already do when the mood strikes me because it is soooo full of conjecture, wild speculation and convenient use of history. And gosh, the story lends itself to all of it I'm not sure why a movie would need to not pour fuel on the fire... Plus to top it all off, I'm going with the double whammy sure to earn votes tandem of Oliver Stone AND Kevin Costner...woohoo;)

Aw...who cares about voites...I just appreciate the audacity of this film, I still find it enjoyable to watch on a variety of levels.

I had wanted to take a certain movie about a certain two towers here, but it seems someone had the same idea as me.

So, I guess I'll divert drastically and take something I thought I wouldn't. A Tom Cruise movie. And a recent(ish) one. Right before he went off into the looney bin. And this one is a diamond in the rough for sure.

Collateral - 2004

Another excellent crime drama from Michael Mann. I almost took a different Tom Cruise crime drama here which is arguably better, but I like this movie much more just because of its stellar performances from Cruise and Foxx. A very simple yet thrilling movie.

Sleepers (1996)

Based on a novel of the same name which the author claims to be a true story. Ive never read the book. True or not, a captivating storyline where youth ultimately gets revenge for heinous acts against them while in a detention facility. Some quality acting, and a nice film to use in the 3 steps to Bacon game. :)

^that movie made kevin bacon appear as a villain to me in all subsequent roles.

my last pick:

the way we were (1973)

this one is just a sentimental pick for me.

from wiki:

The Way We Were is a 1973 American film which tells the story of Katie Morosky, an intense Jewish woman, who marries Hubbell Gardiner, a carefree but talented WASP, following World War II. Fundamental differences in outlook and personality – as revealed in their responses to the rise of McCarthyism – eventually pull them apart. Starring Barbra Streisand and Robert Redford, along with Bradford Dillman, Lois Chiles, Patrick O'Neal and Viveca Lindfors, the film is both a romance of star-crossed lovers and a morality tale about the importance of commitment.

The film was a runaway hit in theaters, and became the fifth-highest grossing film of 1973.

Status
Not open for further replies.