Potential Free agent/trade/sign tracker

Dieng from OKC is interesting never gets a chance in OKC 6'10 skilled GLeague Finals MVP might be worth a swing as a massive SF/PF not sure what OKC would want.
Yeah, he’s young and some talent there for sure…..but I doubt Presti deals him. Doesn’t seem worth it for him while he waits and sees if Dieng can grow into something more special

Would anyone consider trading Colby for Duop Reath? I’m not sure if I would necessarily I’m just starting to think of fringe moves we can make that could give us more optionality- thanks Monte. The Blazers have 3 centers ahead of him on the depth chart and we have 5 guards ahead of Colby and a developmental guy in Mason Jones also waiting for an opportunity. I like Colby and am not ready to give up on him but it’s going to be really hard for him to crack the rotation. Duop is signed for 2 more years I believe and then a restricted free agent. Would be a floor spacing center to pair with the back up defensive ace forward we are acquiring some day? Thoughts?

Last edited:
Would anyone consider trading Colby for Duop Reath? I’m not sure if I would necessarily I’m just starting to think of fringe moves we can make that could give us more optionality- thanks Monte. The Blazers have 3 centers ahead of him in the depth chart and we have 5 guards ahead of Colby and a developmental guy in Mason Jones also waiting for an opportunity. I like Colby and am not ready to give up on him but it’s going to be really hard for him to crack the rotation. Duop is signed for 2 more years I believe and then a restricted free agent. Would be a floor spacing center to pair with the back up defensive ace forward we are acquiring some day? Thoughts?
I like Reath a lot, but Colby probably doesn’t have a lot of value. He’s a former 2nd round pick who spent his rookie year on a bench and didn’t stand out during his time in the GLeague. He also kinda sucked during this year’s SL.

I don’t know that we have any available pieces that Portland wants. But someone like Trey has slightly hire value if you involve a third team? But don’t know that I would want to trade him away

I like Reath a lot, but Colby probably doesn’t have a lot of value. He’s a former 2nd round pick who spent his rookie year on a bench and didn’t stand out during his time in the GLeague. He also kinda sucked during this year’s SL.

I don’t know that we have any available pieces that Portland wants. But someone like Trey has slightly hire value if you involve a third team? But don’t know that I would want to trade him away
I thought he was pretty terrific in Gleague at times. The skill set hasn’t translated to nba yet but maybe Portland liked him in the draft? I just figured with Reath being 28 and 4th on the depth chart maybe they would consider moving him for a guard since they are a bit lighter there. Hard to say

According to Sean Highkin of the Rose Garden Report, the Blazers are currently asking the Lakers for two first-round picks, 2029 and 2031, as the focal point of the trade return, as well as salary fillers such as Rui Hachimura, Gabe Vincent, or Jarred Vanderbilt. He mentions that the Lakers are hesitant to give up both first-round picks, which is why a potential deal is currently at a stalemate.

https://ripcityproject.com/posts/nb...-asking-price-jerami-grant-lakers-trade-talks

I mean i get that is a lot of young pieces in Hachimura and Vanderbilt plus the picks but if im the Kings with our current team, im calling with the 2029 and 2031 picks on offer along with Huerter, Mcdaniels and Lyles. McDaniels cant get traded till 8/27 but the deal could theoretically be put in place for the next month and be made official then. It would probably give us the best starting 5 along with improving spacing in the starting group by moving ellis back to the bench and DDR to 2 where he probably can do a better job defensively. BUT we would make us very thin at forward depth wise so probably would need to go and bring Kessler Edwards and Metu back on a minimums, and go get Javonte Green on a minimum as well.

Fox/Monk/Mclaughlin/carter
DDR/Ellis/Jones/carter
Keegan/DDR/Grant/Green/Edward
Grant/Keegan/Metu/Edwards
Sabonis/Len/Metu

The forward Bench depth is very shallow for sure, BUT you actually have 3 forwards in the startinf group with DDR being a SG/SF and Keegan and Grant being SF/PF. You would likely stagger DDR, Grant and Keegan in many of of the reserve minutes. I dont think Metu or Edwards were truly unplayable players and can give you 5-8 minute spells for sure while Green played very well for the bulls in the last 12 games (starting 5) putting up 12/7 in 25 minutes off 55% shooting and 35% from 3 and posting good defensive numbers.

Financially you are in a tough spot as this would put you above the first apron. Currently we at at $175M. The trade takes us up to $178.5M (1.5M above the cap). Edwards and Metu take you to about $184M so puts you at amongst the most expensive groups in the league, but i think it puts you into the top 2 positions in the west. And you are there with Knicks and Boston AND you have solid control of most of the core for at least 2 years (Fox and Keegan however need their extensions soon)

Last edited:

?
13 games
36.5 MPG
19.8 PPG
7.6 RPG
4.7 APG
37.5% from 3 on 6.2 3PA
60.8% TS

That's sort of how you want a potential NBA prospect to produce in the G-League right?

Hasn't translated much so far, but we still got Vegas and hoping he can put on a good showing there. Hopefully these back-end guys (McDaniels/Colby/Jmac), right now see the potential huge opportunity to go win the 10th man job with Carter on the sideline. And I still really like Colby's overall skill-set and if he does hit, he's a very valuable NBA player, especially for us. Would be silly to stop his development at this point

https://ripcityproject.com/posts/nb...-asking-price-jerami-grant-lakers-trade-talks

I mean i get that is a lot of young pieces in Hachimura and Vanderbilt plus the picks but if im the Kings with our current team, im calling with the 2029 and 2031 picks on offer along with Huerter, Mcdaniels and Lyles. McDaniels cant get traded till 8/27 but the deal could theoretically be put in place for the next month and be made official then. It would probably give us the best starting 5 along with improving spacing in the starting group by moving ellis back to the bench and DDR to 2 where he probably can do a better job defensively. BUT we would make us very thin at forward depth wise so probably would need to go and bring Kessler Edwards and Metu back on a minimums, and go get Javonte Green on a minimum as well.

DDR/Ellis/Jones/carter
Sabonis/Len/Metu

The forward Bench depth is very shallow for sure, BUT you actually have 3 forwards in the startinf group with DDR being a SG/SF and Keegan and Grant being SF/PF. You would likely stagger DDR, Grant and Keegan in many of of the reserve minutes. I dont think Metu or Edwards were truly unplayable players and can give you 5-8 minute spells for sure while Green played very well for the bulls in the last 12 games (starting 5) putting up 12/7 in 25 minutes off 55% shooting and 35% from 3 and posting good defensive numbers.

Financially you are in a tough spot as this would put you above the first apron. Currently we at at $175M. The trade takes us up to $178.5M (1.5M above the cap). Edwards and Metu take you to about $184M so puts you at amongst the most expensive groups in the league, but i think it puts you into the top 2 positions in the west. And you are there with Knicks and Boston AND you have solid control of most of the core for at least 2 years (Fox and Keegan however need their extensions soon)
hard pass on metu.

DDR/Ellis/Jones/carter
Sabonis/Len/Metu

ya, we can’t do that. We’re hard capped

We are hard-capped at the first apron by virtue of receiving DDR in a sign-and-trade transaction.
But from my understanding, we can still perfom trades of equal value (ie for grant as i proposed where the difference in salary is $350K. And as you mentioned above, filling out with minimums is still doable. Please correct me if im wrong.

Well there are not many 4/5s out there worth getting but in this senario, you need to fill out your roster by 2 spots minimum to get 14 (2 going out and only grant coming in) and you are thin on the forward spot. Metu knows the system, can play spot minutes as a deep bench guy and insurance policy for if a core rotation guy gets injured. If can get Achiwuwa, by all means, but there arent many others available and at 6'10" and very athletic, he can give you some options in a pinch. But am i bringing him in to play a big role, no. Do i think he can be the 14th player on a roster with a starting 5 of Fox, Sabonis, Grant, Keegan and DDR, absolutely.

Well there are not many 4/5s out there worth getting but in this senario, you need to fill out your roster by 2 spots minimum to get 14 (2 going out and only grant coming in) and you are thin on the forward spot. Metu knows the system, can play spot minutes as a deep bench guy and insurance policy for if a core rotation guy gets injured. If can get Achiwuwa, by all means, but there arent many others available and at 6'10" and very athletic, he can give you some options in a pinch. But am i bringing him in to play a big role, no. Do i think he can be the 14th player on a roster with a starting 5 of Fox, Sabonis, Grant, Keegan and DDR, absolutely.
Metu is a ball stopping chucker

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
But from my understanding, we can still perfom trades of equal value (ie for grant as i proposed where the difference in salary is $350K. And as you mentioned above, filling out with minimums is still doable. Please correct me if im wrong.
Well, yes, we can still make trades, but we are limited. We can't take on more than $250K (not $350K) more than we send out in a single trade. We can take in less salary regardless of how much, but the concomitant increase in salary for the other team has to be legal for them.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
Just looked at the Kings cap and it looks like Monte still has to waive some cap holds just to get under the tax at this point too.
It looks like we're about $3M under the tax for 13 players. We have four cap holds, but none of those guys are likely to be back (Kessler, JaVale, Ford, Slawson) and - if we make no other moves - we have to waive two of those because we've only got two roster spots available.

If we make another deal, then we obviously have to reassess. If we use part of our MLE, we'll obviously go over the tax. Otherwise, we have the ability to sign a single player to a min deal and stay under the tax with a roster of 14.

But I'm pretty sure we've spent most of our time under Monte with 15 roster slots filled, so - barring a trade to clear up more money - we probably end up going over the tax level. That will probably be costly, but we're expecting to contend this year, so it may be time to stop worrying about the tax level and get wins.

Of course, we can always get under the tax level by the last regular season game (so, at the trade deadline, barring an unexpected waive-and-stretch). But I don't think Vivek approved the DDR sign-and-trade with the idea of keeping us under the tax level. If Monte can pull that off, it's a bonus, but if not, well, that's the cost of contention.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I thought we already relinquished the cap holds on those guys. But maybe it was declining options on Kessler and Slawson?

I am guessing that the new 2-ways signalled the end of Ford and Slawson for now, and Kessler could come back on a minimum deal as last resort but given Brown's usage of him that would certainly be a strange choice.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
I thought we already relinquished the cap holds on those guys. But maybe it was declining options on Kessler and Slawson?

I am guessing that the new 2-ways signalled the end of Ford and Slawson for now, and Kessler could come back on a minimum deal as last resort but given Brown's usage of him that would certainly be a strange choice.
We declined to give those guys a qualifying offer to make the RFAs. We technically still have cap holds listed for them on Spotrac, but since I believe those are at a league-minimum salary...they're not really meaningful.

?
13 games
36.5 MPG
19.8 PPG
7.6 RPG
4.7 APG
37.5% from 3 on 6.2 3PA
60.8% TS

That's sort of how you want a potential NBA prospect to produce in the G-League right?

Hasn't translated much so far, but we still got Vegas and hoping he can put on a good showing there. Hopefully these back-end guys (McDaniels/Colby/Jmac), right now see the potential huge opportunity to go win the 10th man job with Carter on the sideline. And I still really like Colby's overall skill-set and if he does hit, he's a very valuable NBA player, especially for us. Would be silly to stop his development at this point
You do at the very least, want that type of production, but stats are pretty easy to come by in the GLeague.

Here’s where he would rank in each category compared to every single GLeague player last year:

19.8ppg - 66th
4.7apg - 68th
7.6rpg - 65th

Colby’s 13 games don’t classify him as a qualified player in terms of stats on realgm. But amongst qualified players, he’d rank:

19.8ppg - 25th
4.7apg - 31st
7.6rpg - 36th

https://basketball.realgm.com/gleague/stats/2024/Averages/All/points/All/desc/1/Regular_Season

Would you do this trade? I think he is one of the few players I would give Keegan for, and I LOVE Keegan but JJJ next to Sabonis and DeRozan is in theory the perfect fit. He is signed for 2 more years only, and is 1 year older than Keegan.

Sacramento: Jaren Jackson Jr.

Memphis: Lauri Markkanen, Walker Kessler

Utah: Keegan Murray, Kevin Huerter, Sac 2028 1st, Sac 2030 1st, Mem 1st

Would you do this trade? I think he is one of the few players I would give Keegan for, and I LOVE Keegan but JJJ next to Sabonis and DeRozan is in theory the perfect fit. He is signed for 2 more years only, and is 1 year older than Keegan.

Sacramento: Jaren Jackson Jr.

Memphis: Lauri Markkanen, Walker Kessler

Utah: Keegan Murray, Kevin Huerter, Sac 2028 1st, Sac 2030 1st, Mem 1st
I would love JJJ, but it would take more than Markkanen and Kessler to get him. As you said, only a year older than Keegan with DPOY under his belt while developing as the 2nd/3rd scoring option.

Memphis doesn't trade JJJ unless it heavily benefits them

I would love JJJ, but it would take more than Markkanen and Kessler to get him. As you said, only a year older than Keegan with DPOY under his belt while developing as the 2nd/3rd scoring option.

Memphis doesn't trade JJJ unless it heavily benefits them
I’m not so sure…Markkanen is an all star talent that slots in really nicely at PF for them and Kessler replaces the rim protection on a cheap rookie deal. In fact, Memphis would have a really solid, cheap C rotation in Kessler and Edey which gives them excellent rim protection for 48 min a night.

Offensively, Morant, Bane, and Jackson doesn’t seem like it has quite the offensive firepower to be a championship contender but Morant, Bane, and Markkanen seems like enough. Then consider how much more the floor would be spaced swapping Jackson for Markkanen which just opens up the lane that much more for Morant to attack.

I think MEM would definitely consider a Markkanen/Kessler package.

Coking back to @CarlosBob wider trade idea, this framework is actually something I’ve been playing around with myself.

With DeRozan now on the roster, it likely is going to push Murray to play PF which gives us a very undersized frontcourt from a length perspective (DeRozan-Murray-Sabonis). It’s also not a particularly good defensive frontcourt and provides very little rim protection. If we can swap Murray for a player who…
  • Has excellent size, length, and athleticism at the PF spot
  • Is an elite & transformative defender and rim protector/help defender
  • Can still provide some floor spacing
  • Can provide some solid secondary scoring behind Fox & DeRozan
  • Is still relatively young and can grow with our core
…we have to do it, right? A core of…

PG - Fox / Monk
SG - Ellis / Carter
SF - DeRozan
PF - Jackson Jr / Lyles
C - Sabonis

…has a chance to be a top offensive team (if the decrease in shooting/floor spacing turns out to be a non issue) while also having a chance at being a top 10 defensive team due to us now having a player like Jackson who makes a massive defensive impact.

I certainly think on paper a trade centered around Keegan and JJJ makes sense for the kings for all the reasons that have been laid out.

To be considered though, Jackson missed fairly significant time the last two seasons with a knee injury and quad tendonitis before the age of 24 which is where my main hesitation is with the trade.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’m not so sure…Markkanen is an all star talent that slots in really nicely at PF for them and Kessler replaces the rim protection on a cheap rookie deal. In fact, Memphis would have a really solid, cheap C rotation in Kessler and Edey which gives them excellent rim protection for 48 min a night.

Offensively, Morant, Bane, and Jackson doesn’t seem like it has quite the offensive firepower to be a championship contender but Morant, Bane, and Markkanen seems like enough. Then consider how much more the floor would be spaced swapping Jackson for Markkanen which just opens up the lane that much more for Morant to attack.

I think MEM would definitely consider a Markkanen/Kessler package.

Coking back to @CarlosBob wider trade idea, this framework is actually something I’ve been playing around with myself.

With DeRozan now on the roster, it likely is going to push Murray to play PF which gives us a very undersized frontcourt from a length perspective (DeRozan-Murray-Sabonis). It’s also not a particularly good defensive frontcourt and provides very little rim protection. If we can swap Murray for a player who…
  • Has excellent size, length, and athleticism at the PF spot
  • Is an elite & transformative defender and rim protector/help defender
  • Can still provide some floor spacing
  • Can provide some solid secondary scoring behind Fox & DeRozan
  • Is still relatively young and can grow with our core
…we have to do it, right? A core of…

PG - Fox / Monk
SG - Ellis / Carter
SF - DeRozan
PF - Jackson Jr / Lyles
C - Sabonis

…has a chance to be a top offensive team (if the decrease in shooting/floor spacing turns out to be a non issue) while also having a chance at being a top 10 defensive team due to us now having a player like Jackson who makes a massive defensive impact.
Memphis just drafted Edey. I think that reduces any interest in Walker Kessler substantially for them.