Potential Free agent/trade/sign tracker

Setting aside the pick(s) that we’d have to send out to get POR to accept this trade, I believe we could pull off something like…

TRADE #1
Jerami Grant
Matisse Thybulle

For

Harrison Barnes
Kevin Huerter
Chris Duarte

TRADE #2
Robert Williams

for

Non-Taxpayer MLE (absorbed)

That would leave us with a roster of…

PG - Fox / Monk
SG - Ellis / Carter / Jones
SF - Murray / Thybulle
PF - Grant / Lyles / McDaniels
C - Sabonis / Williams / Len

The trade for Robert Williams would hard cap us at the 1st apron, but Williams and Thybulle both roll off our books before Fox, Murray, and Ellis are due for new contracts but can definitely help us over the next two years.

The defensive potential of that team would be pretty interesting to watch as well. We would have swapped…

Harrison Barnes
Kevin Huerter
Sasha Vezenkov
Davion Mitchell
Chris Duarte

for

Jerami Grant
Robert Williams
Matisse Thybulle
Devin Carter
Jalen McDaniels

That’d be a massive improvement defensively. Our POA defense would be crazy good with Fox, Ellis, Carter, Thybulle, and Murray all being excellent options, and then your back up C is an elite rim protector who would be a heck of a lob threat for Monk in the 2nd unit (and Len would be a great 3rd option C to have considering Williams does tend to be injury prone). I’d also consider Grant a defensive improvement over Barnes in the starting lineup as well. I’m sure Mike Brown would be salivating to work with all of those defenders.

On top of that defensive improvement, we add another go-to scorer in Grant to help bolster the offense when the DHO is being attacked/neutralized.

There’s a lot to like about that roster and rotation and I think they could play a brand of basketball that would be successful deep into the playoffs.
I still think this would be the best path forward if McNair is set on adding a big name/scorer this offseason.

With that in mind, I was looking at this scenario more and actually found a way to make this trade even better for us. We’d have to change it to just be…

Harrison Barnes
Kevin Huerter
Chris Duarte
Jalen McDaniels

For

Jerami Grant
Robert Williams
Matisse Thybulle

Factoring in Carter’s future salary ($4.689 mil), we have $173,833,081 wrapped up in…
  1. Sabonis
  2. Fox
  3. Grant
  4. Monk
  5. Williams
  6. Thybulle
  7. Murray
  8. Lyles
  9. Carter
  10. Ellis
  11. Jones
  12. Len
The 1st apron starts at $178,132,000 so that leaves us with $4,298,199 of space with 3 more roster spots to fill. If we sign 1 player to a minimum deal that has 1 year of NBA experience and 2 players to a minimum deal that have 0 years of NBA experience, our new payroll would be $178,010,372 which means we’d be just under the 1st apron ($121,628 to be exact).

That might give McNair some more flexibility at the trade deadline since he wouldn’t be hard capped at the 1st apron if he did the deal this way.

Well getting Lauri Markkanen would probably mean 3 first-round picks (or 2 first rounders and multiple 2nd rounders) over the next three or 4 seasons and Barnes, Huerter with a third team, or maybe Murray and Huerter.with a third team. Drwaback, On a final year of contract, then Kings needing to pay Markkanen very large contract to keep him. Its certainly an all-in/win-now move and really big gamble (maybe ill-advised) - he's not a great defender, and has a history of missing games. The Jazz may ask for Carter or Ellis thrown in in lieu of a future pick also, which also I wonder if would be too hard to digest. Wondering on Warriors/Spurs - Warriors would probably give up Wiggins draft picks and third team, Spurs might be offering Zach Collins + other, draft picks third team?

Well getting Lauri Markkanen would probably mean 3 first-round picks (or 2 first rounders and multiple 2nd rounders) over the next three or 4 seasons and Barnes, Huerter with a third team, or maybe Murray and Huerter.with a third team. Drwaback, On a final year of contract, then Kings needing to pay Markkanen very large contract to keep him. Its certainly an all-in/win-now move and really big gamble (maybe ill-advised) - he's not a great defender, and has a history of missing games. The Jazz may ask for Carter or Ellis thrown in in lieu of a future pick also, which also I wonder if would be too hard to digest. Wondering on Warriors/Spurs - Warriors would probably give up Wiggins draft picks and third team, Spurs might be offering Zach Collins + other, draft picks third team?
I think either Ellis or Carter have to be included

KINGS: Herb Jones (13 M), Larry Nance (11 M)

PELICANS: Lauri Markkanen (18 M), Jarret Allen (20 M)

CAVS: Brandon Ingram (36 M)

JAZZ: Harrison Barnes (18 M), Isaac Okoro (16 M S&T), SAC 2027 1st, SAC 2029 1st, NO 2025 1st, NO 2027 1st

HAWKS: SAC 2025 1st unprotected

We use 6M of the MLE to absorb Larry Nance's contract and with the rest we sign Paul Reed.

JAZZ: Harrison Barnes (18 M), Isaac Okoro (16 M S&T), SAC 2027 1st, SAC 2029 1st, NO 2025 1st, NO 2027 1st

We use 6M of the MLE to absorb Larry Nance's contract and with the rest we sign Paul Reed.
What’s the protection on our first. I like Herb Jones but two first round picks is pretty steep in addition to Barnes and two first round pick

I'm pretty sure that Larry Nance was part of the Atlanta trade.

I don't want
Why would we make the pels so much better?
I have Ingram and Markkanen in a similar level of secondary stars rank. And Herb and Allen the same between them but in different positions so I don't think they would be so much better.

What’s the protection on our first. I like Herb Jones but two first round picks is pretty steep in addition to Barnes and two first round pick
Herb is one of the best defenders F who has also became a good shooter and he is locked for the next 3 years with a MLE level contract. One of the best NBA contracts. I would love him and not a "3rd star" like Markkanen or Ingram who doesn't fit our issues and who we don't know if we can extend them after this year and if we could, at what price? 2 theorical not lottery picks and HB I think is even cheap for him.

I'm pretty sure that Larry Nance was part of the Atlanta trade.
He was, but I think Atlanta don't want him and they had him in the trade as a salary filler, I think they would prefer to avoid pay him with the rest of their frontcourt depth and be sure they have our pick this year in a great draft in exchange. If we are bad this year and we have a top12 pick they are only going to have one more year our pick (top 10 protected) before it converts in 2 2nd picks.