Potential Free agent/trade/sign tracker

JJJ is the most overrated player in the NBA the guy can't defend any decent player one on one (he's no where near the player or defender say Bam is or any decent defending big is) terrible outside spacer and just low IQ in general I would take Lauri/Keegan over JJJ any day the guy after his rookie season has been a fraud. He was a media hype job cause he was one of the few decent up and coming American bigs.

If DPOY went to the actual best defender rather than stat chaser/media narrative/fake hustle (Marcus Smart won DPOY and was to scared to defend Jimmy Butler in the playoffs) Bam would win the last 5 years or so.

Would anybody do a huerter, Ellis and 3 first round picks for markkanen? It would put Derozen at the 2 spot or otherwise we would be thin there.
Fox/monk/carter/mclaughlin
Derozen/monk/jones
Keegan/derozen
Markkaken/lyles/mcdainels
Sabonis/len

fill out with maybe our two way guys or some randoms for backup 3/4 and a deep 5. Maybe even Kessler Edwards again

Would anybody do a huerter, Ellis and 3 first round picks for markkanen? It would put Derozen at the 2 spot or otherwise we would be thin there.
Fox/monk/carter/mclaughlin
Derozen/monk/jones
Keegan/derozen
Markkaken/lyles/mcdainels
Sabonis/len

fill out with maybe our two way guys or some randoms for backup 3/4 and a deep 5. Maybe even Kessler Edwards again
I have a hard time seeing Markkanen as a target for us at this point.

We have a lot of scoring options on this team already (Fox, DeRozan, Monk, Sabonis, & Murray) so that skill from Markkanen is less needed.

However, the biggest reason is the defense. I don’t know how your defense can be good enough to ultimately become a contender when you’re playing DeRozan, Markkanen, and Sabonis 34+ min per game.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, I think the Kings need more 4/5 depth, especially someone that offers some shot blocking and defense. I don't see Markkanen as a real target, especially given the cost. It sounds like the Jazz are leaning towards keeping and extending him.

Plus I just don't want to see the Kings deal Keon. He had an unbelivable impact on team defense and he's on an absolute steal of a deal. I am also excited to see what Huerter can do in a bench scoring role. He and Monk would potentially add a ton of shooting and playmaking that was sorely lacking last season.

Yeah, I think the Kings need more 4/5 depth, especially someone that offers some shot blocking and defense. I don't see Markkanen as a real target, especially given the cost. It sounds like the Jazz are leaning towards keeping and extending him.

Plus I just don't want to see the Kings deal Keon. He had an unbelivable impact on team defense and he's on an absolute steal of a deal. I am also excited to see what Huerter can do in a bench scoring role. He and Monk would potentially add a ton of shooting and playmaking that was sorely lacking last season.
Yeah. It's exciting to think what this team could be if you unlocked Huerter from 2 years ago with this current core

Getting Ellis away at his point will be big mistake in my opinion ...
He is really motivated in prooving himself and plays always very solid ...
Plus giving another two players for one and with the injuries we already have , depth will be under question as well , so imo better not do
such transfer ...
Monk/fox starting plus huerte and ellis from the bench looks pretty much solid ..
Even Brown's favourite Hurter to start and monk from the bench sounds good

The more I've been thinking about it, the more I am open to trading Keegan for the right type of player.

As much as I really like Keegster, I fear he is too passive of a player/personality. And the KINGS are in need of more alpha type players (even role players). Guys that take losing personally and kick things into a different gear, either offensively or defensively, and become more aggressive/assertive.

Players that fit into that category IMO are: Fox, DeRozan, Monk

Players that I do not believe fit that category are: Sabonis, Murray, Huerter

Players in which the jury is still out in this regard: Ellis, Carter, Lyles

I do believe that Ellis and Carter may very well fit into the first category with Fox, DDR and Monk, at least defensively, but it's far too early to tell.

The KINGS just traded away HB, who definitely fit into the same category as Sabonis, Murray, and Huerter, for a 3rd alpha type player. Swapping Murray for a 4th alpha dawg could really kick this team into another gear.

Now, Sabonis is a bit tricky here. He is an amazing rebounder, passer, and is super physical, so he does do some things that would place him into the Fox, DDR, Monk category. However, his reticense to shoot the ball and postseason performances to this point in his career have me keeping him in the 2nd group until proven otherwise. The KINGS can win with him, I believe, but they do need to surround him with more assertive and confident players.

Last season Fox was really the only player in the starting lineup with that skillset. Now they'll have 2 players starting with the addition of DDR. Adding another player of that ilk would give the KINGS 4 potential killers to finish games with Sabonis (Fox, Monk, DDR, <insert players name here>).

Maybe Keegan will prove me wrong this upcoming season, but I just can't see him suddenly changing his spots in that regard. HB never really did.

The more I've been thinking about it, the more I am open to trading Keegan for the right type of player.

As much as I really like Keegster, I fear he is too passive of a player/personality. And the KINGS are in need of more alpha type players (even role players). Guys that take losing personally and kick things into a different gear, either offensively or defensively, and become more aggressive/assertive.

I do believe that Ellis and Carter may very well fit into the first category with Fox, DDR and Monk, at least defensively, but it's far too early to tell.

The KINGS just traded away HB, who definitely fit into the same category as Sabonis, Murray, and Huerter, for a 3rd alpha type player. Swapping Murray for a 4th alpha dawg could really kick this team into another gear.

Now, Sabonis is a bit tricky here. He is an amazing rebounder, passer, and is super physical, so he does do some things that would place him into the Fox, DDR, Monk category. However, his reticense to shoot the ball and postseason performances to this point in his career have me keeping him in the 2nd group until proven otherwise. The KINGS can win with him, I believe, but they do need to surround him with more assertive and confident players.

Last season Fox was really the only player in the starting lineup with that skillset. Now they'll have 2 players starting with the addition of DDR. Adding another player of that ilk would give the KINGS 4 potential killers to finish games with Sabonis (Fox, Monk, DDR, <insert players name here>).

Maybe Keegan will prove me wrong this upcoming season, but I just can't see him suddenly changing his spots in that regard. HB never really did.
So you want 5 alphas on the floor? That would be a disaster. For every fox there is a Gilbert Arenas and Jordan Poole. Be careful what you wish for. Players on a team must complement each other. We would be a 25 win team w/o Sabonis. And you wouldn’t be crying if Keegan shot the way he did his rookie year. Plus Keegan’s defense improved dramatically. Something your dawgs didn’t do. Go look at def +\- if you don’t believe me.

How do you define Dogs? If you mean get after and lock people down defensively I would put them:

players that fit: Keegan, Ellis, Sabonis (rebounding)

players that don’t: Fox, DeRozen, Huerter, Monk

jury still out: Lyles, Carter

Getting Ellis away at his point will be big mistake in my opinion ...
He is really motivated in prooving himself and plays always very solid ...
Plus giving another two players for one and with the injuries we already have , depth will be under question as well , so imo better not do
such transfer ...
Monk/fox starting plus huerte and ellis from the bench looks pretty much solid ..
Even Brown's favourite Hurter to start and monk from the bench sounds good
Why would you start Monk and be super undersized in the back court. You also have overlap with DeRozan in playing PnR. Seems like too much overlap in the starting line-up which Ellis fixes.

Why would you start Monk and be super undersized in the back court. You also have overlap with DeRozan in playing PnR. Seems like too much overlap in the starting line-up which Ellis fixes.
Yeah Keon's offense is in the perfect spot in the starting lineup with Fox, DDR, Murray and Sabonis. You put him on the bench and now you're having to rely on his offense in a much larger capacity. Plus now he's not guarding starting level players as often.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Exactly. Not to mention that last season whenever Monk had an off game (or after he went out with injury) the bench really struggled to score.

Now you potentially have Monk, Huerter, and Lyles which finally brings a lot of balance to the second unit. Trading Ellis' defense for more scoring in the starting lineup just doesn't make sense to me. Monk will very likely be in the finishing lineup, but the Kings are better off starting with a more balanced five.

Exactly. Not to mention that last season whenever Monk had an off game (or after he went out with injury) the bench really struggled to score.

Now you potentially have Monk, Huerter, and Lyles which finally brings a lot of balance to the second unit. Trading Ellis' defense for more scoring in the starting lineup just doesn't make sense to me. Monk will very likely be in the finishing lineup, but the Kings are better off starting with a more balanced five.
I'm wondering if they wouldn't be better finishing with a more balanced lineup as well. Defense is just as important in closing a game

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm wondering if they wouldn't be better finishing with a more balanced lineup as well. Defense is just as important in closing a game
We'll have to see. Last season Monk almost HAD to be in the finishing lineup because there wasn't anyone else beyond Fox that could regularly create their own shot. DeMar definitely changes that. Whether or not having Malik in there as well is still an improvement or if the team would be better with Keon's defense at the end of games is something Mike Brown will have to figure out.

We'll have to see. Last season Monk almost HAD to be in the finishing lineup because there wasn't anyone else beyond Fox that could regularly create their own shot. DeMar definitely changes that. Whether or not having Malik in there as well is still an improvement or if the team would be better with Keon's defense at the end of games is something Mike Brown will have to figure out.
it will be interesting who’s game DeMar impacts the most but I think it will be Monk. He will take some of Monks PnR opportunities with Domas which was where Monk really excelled. Malik last year strangely was just an average C&S 3 point shooter. Malik really plays best with the ball in his hands and DeMar will take some of those opportunities.

Clearly to me, their original plan was to acquire a 4 that would really balance the starting lineup and would fit in a closing lineup with Monk...and potentially Keon as well. Now the fit to close games is a lot less clear, with Derozan who is a higher priority closer than Monk

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
it will be interesting who’s game DeMar impacts the most but I think it will be Monk. He will take some of Monks PnR opportunities with Domas which was where Monk really excelled. Malik last year strangely was just an average C&S 3 point shooter. Malik really plays best with the ball in his hands and DeMar will take some of those opportunities.
I'll be curious to see how Brown staggers the minutes. DeRozan definitely shouldn't be logging nearly as many minutes next season as he has in the last couple - I know he's a workhorse, but there's just no reason to put the extra miles on him for a team that has postseason aspirations.

Hopefully Sabonis plays fewer minutes as well, but it seems like a yearly thing that Brown doesn't trust Len for some reason.

But if the Kings have a similar rotation as last year we'll see Fox (and maybe DeMar) come out first and Monk (and likely Huerter) get some minutes with Domas at the end of the first and third quarters.

There are plenty of touches to go around if the rotations are done right. But it's yet another reason I don't want to see Monk starting. IMO he just has too much value as a sixth man, and it will set him up to be more successful to not be always competing with the other starters to have the ball in his hands.

He had a somewhat off-shooting year, but he was also asked to be a lead creator rather than just a pure spacer. Like with LeBron/AD in LA, dude was an elite off-ball shooter/scorer. Which was one of the big reasons why I wanted us to sign him that summer; thought that Monk would be perfect with Fox/Domas.

He just so happened to have an elite on-ball creator game too. The beauty of Monk is he's so versatile; i think he's going to go right back to the LAL version of being an elite floor spacer when asked to prioritize that more with DDR on board.

I'll be curious to see how Brown staggers the minutes. DeRozan definitely shouldn't be logging nearly as many minutes next season as he has in the last couple - I know he's a workhorse, but there's just no reason to put the extra miles on him for a team that has postseason aspirations.

Hopefully Sabonis plays fewer minutes as well, but it seems like a yearly thing that Brown doesn't trust Len for some reason.

But if the Kings have a similar rotation as last year we'll see Fox (and maybe DeMar) come out first and Monk (and likely Huerter) get some minutes with Domas at the end of the first and third quarters.

There are plenty of touches to go around if the rotations are done right. But it's yet another reason I don't want to see Monk starting. IMO he just has too much value as a sixth man, and it will set him up to be more successful to not be always competing with the other starters to have the ball in his hands.
Seems it would be Fox, DeRozan and Keon, with Ellis, Monk and Lyles coming in

Gives you a Monk, Huerter, Keegan, Lyles, Domas 2nd unit that could do some damage

As a pnr role handler Monk was solid. As an iso guy his numbers were pretty awful last season. Usually he's slightly below average though so likely last season was a bit of an oddball. Adding DeMar might even be a greater thing for Monk. Less step backs and tough long shots for him.

He had a somewhat off-shooting year, but he was also asked to be a lead creator rather than just a pure spacer. Like with LeBron/AD in LA, dude was an elite off-ball shooter/scorer. Which was one of the big reasons why I wanted us to sign him that summer; thought that Monk would be perfect with Fox/Domas.

He just so happened to have an elite on-ball creator game too. The beauty of Monk is he's so versatile; i think he's going to go right back to the LAL version of being an elite floor spacer when asked to prioritize that more with DDR on board.
The question or not is as a 6th man, is that worth his contract? If the Kings win it won't matter, but we've seen it before. When players like Poole, Clarkson, etc. get paid, the values in relation to output can change. As usual the results will determine the course. Monk might be the full time starter, might stay where he's at, the lack of defenders could be an issue, might not be, I guess we shall see. lol.

The question or not is as a 6th man, is that worth his contract? If the Kings win it won't matter, but we've seen it before. When players like Poole, Clarkson, etc. get paid, the values in relation to output can change. As usual the results will determine the course. Monk might be the full time starter, might stay where he's at, the lack of defenders could be an issue, might not be, I guess we shall see. lol.
Huh? It's not like Monk just stops being the elite passer and creator he's been the last 2 years. It's adding a passer and playmaker like DDR just helps across the board in getting easier shots for our shooters.

Monk was asked to create a ton last season. Probably why his shooting fell a bit. Getting him easier looks is only a good thing.

Monk's contract is immediately one of the best values in the league. That I'm sure of.

I think it’s good news. The top 6 players in the rotation are legit. And I like Huerter, Lyles and Len.

But I also wouldn’t mind a versatile, athletic forward on the roster as the 7th man - and an athletic big for the 10/11th spot.
I have some hopes that this versatic athletic forward for the 7th man could be Jalen McDaniels. I wanted him last offseason, I know he was terrible this past season in Toronto, but who knows.

Huh? It's not like Monk just stops being the elite passer and creator he's been the last 2 years. It's adding a passer and playmaker like DDR just helps across the board in getting easier shots for our shooters.

Monk was asked to create a ton last season. Probably why his shooting fell a bit. Getting him easier looks is only a good thing.

Monk's contract is immediately one of the best values in the league. That I'm sure of.
Yeah no doubt about that. Monk elite? I wouldn't say 62nd percentile in pick and roll is elite. Good though, same with Fox last season, not exactly elite although the year prior Fox was well above average. Monk also had the second highest pnr handler usage on the team last season so we do have to see how it all changes. He could be great value, but I'm relating it to similar players historically. Historically he's right in the neighborhood of what similar players have gotten in the role he was in. Any changes in role could have an effect on output. As for Monk fitting in I think it's a given he's versatile enough to be a huge benefit regardless if his efficiency jumps like it did as a spot shooter in seasons prior but if he's the player he was in LA, contract value might also change. Also, his energy as a 6th man is something that doesn't show up in the stats, but if a team is good it will show up in wins.

Would you do this trade? I think he is one of the few players I would give Keegan for, and I LOVE Keegan but JJJ next to Sabonis and DeRozan is in theory the perfect fit. He is signed for 2 more years only, and is 1 year older than Keegan.

Sacramento: Jaren Jackson Jr.

Memphis: Lauri Markkanen, Walker Kessler

Utah: Keegan Murray, Kevin Huerter, Sac 2028 1st, Sac 2030 1st, Mem 1st
No. Jaren Jackson is an awful rebounder and that’s enough for me to say no

Yeah no doubt about that. Monk elite? I wouldn't say 62nd percentile in pick and roll is elite. Good though, same with Fox last season, not exactly elite although the year prior Fox was well above average. Monk also had the second highest pnr handler usage on the team last season so we do have to see how it all changes. He could be great value, but I'm relating it to similar players historically. Historically he's right in the neighborhood of what similar players have gotten in the role he was in. Any changes in role could have an effect on output. As for Monk fitting in I think it's a given he's versatile enough to be a huge benefit regardless if his efficiency jumps like it did as a spot shooter in seasons prior but if he's the player he was in LA, contract value might also change. Also, his energy as a 6th man is something that doesn't show up in the stats, but if a team is good it will show up in wins.
PnR only works when he has someone that is a threat to go to the basket.

PnR only works when he has someone that is a threat to go to the basket.
Not necessarily plenty of mid range shots and 3's are generated out of pick and roll. Domas was the only big on the team that factored into the stats effectively as a roll man as far as attempts. In total the Kings were near the bottom in frequency in pick and roll.