2022 Free Agent Targets

Thought it'd be interesting who people think would should pursue this off-season. It's not a great FA class, but I think there are a few gems that are very getable because of their teams cap/contract situation. For the purpose of this, lets assume we retain DDV.

1. Isaiah Hartenstein

I know, another Center. But I think Hartenstein is worth the risk of putting Sabonis at PF. I think he's a high upside starter with elite rim protection, elite roll man and top 5-10 big man passing ability here with him. Just 23 years old and a UFA. With the Clippers cap situation, there's almost no chance they can afford to bring him back.

First off, every stat basically says he's off the chart bonkers good and impactful. Doesn't matter where you turn:

LeBron: +2.1
RAPTOR: +0.3
LA-RAPM: 1.0
BPM 2.0: +3.8
Net On/Off RTG: +8.1
VORP: +1.6
WS/48: .203

Some individual stats
17.2 MPG
7.9 PPG
4.6 RPG
2.1 APG (19.5% AST rate for a big is crazy. For reference, only Jokic, Giannis, Randle, Sabonis and Embiid have higher as big men)
65.5% TS (9th in the NBA)

There's been some signs of a shot, but I would call that his main downfall to potentially play with Sabonis. However, the passing still provides spacing because defenders still have to play up on him and cut off those free passing lanes. Get a creative coach that would best utilize 2 great passing big men and things could be real spicy.

And it's just a matter of the Kings picking what they're willing to sacrifice in terms of a partner with Sabonis at the 4. There's like 3 guys that fit the absolutely "perfect" archetype in the NBA. With Hartenstein, I feel extremely confident I'm getting an awesome player that's going to improve the defense, be an efficient scorer/finisher off the role, and still bring a truly unique skill with the passing. Does that outweigh the potential spacing problems? I'd take the risk.

2. Malik Monk
Fills a totally different niche than the other 4 guys on my list, but I love how Monk has developed over the last 2 years. He's become a reliability elite spacer with that "microwave" gene where he can just win you games by himself with his scoring. Offers good secondary playmaking/ball-handling. I like that he's shown he can fit in around offensive stars too and still be really effective with his scoring/shooting. Offensive impact stuff really likes him too:

O-LEBRON: +0.7
LA- ORAPM: +0.7
O BPM: +0.2
Net offensive RTG (+8.4!!)

Defensively, he's bad. No question. But I think he fills some real holes on the team with the shooting and being able to be the "4th" scorer on the team. Only 24 and the Lakers basically have no chance of keeping him with their current cap situation.

3.. Chris Boucher

Much better potential fit and another multi-year analytics darling. The issue is, I don't think he's a reliable spacer either, but we at least have some volume sample where he CAN shoot; he had last year of shooting 38% on nearly 4 attempts/game, but is down to 28% on 2.7 attempts this year. 2 years ago (his first year in a rotation), he was 32.% on 1.9 attempts. But he's been a long-time favorite of mine (and a few others here on the forum), and has shown he makes the team better when he's on the floor. Effective rim protector with the athleticism to hedge out onto the perimeter; and Sabonis covers his only weakness of not being the best guy to handle super big dudes on the interior.

I'd be surprised if he went back to the Raptors. They gave Khem Birch an extension, they have Precious on a rookie deal and their starting 5 is basically set for the next 2-3 years (FVV, Trent, Barnes, OG, Siakam). And Nurse has jerked around his role over and over again the last few years too.

4. Caleb Martin

Potential plug and play "3 and D" wing that's taken a real leap this year with Miami. Just 26 years old and is an UFA. Very unlikely to resign in Miami considering their cap situation. His more consistent shooting has given him real starter upside.

Who are some names you're eyeing?

I'm ok with Monk if we get the 4 of our dreams to pair with Sabonis in the draft.
His defense scares me enough to not put him on the "priority" list, but if he replaces Josh Jackson who at this point hasn't shown anything, sure why not?

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
Depending on what happens with the draft, I think we should look for trades to balance the roster this off-season. I don't think there's anyone available in FA worth overspending on who will be better than the backup players we already have.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
The draft is everything. Everything else depends on that. To me, Monte still needs to look at trades and draft night is obviously the time to pull that trigger. Then maybe hold onto the MLE and not spend it if they draft someone to keep. Kyle Anderson is obviously somebody that should be on the short list FA wise with the MLE if they do use it. Draft night also probably heavily effects how important someone like Donte DiVincenzo is moneterily. The best asset Monte has is the pick and at the deadline he didn't trade it so it's easily the 3rd biggest piece next to Fox and Sabonis at this point. I can get the Monk love and obviously Fox would push for that but if they draft a SG/SF, and there are tons of better options on draft night than Monk, then you simply can't do that. I'd rather re-sign Donte than get Monk at this point considering TD is > Monk. You can't really look at TD as your guaranteed starter at SG, but looking at him that way is actually kind of warranted when you consider what he did as a starter (25 mpg, 17.6 ppg 49% and 37% from 3) and figure it probably wasn't a fluke. And I don't think Monte thought it was and I agree with him there.

I really would like us to take a long look at Jalen Smith. Very good buy-low candidate, and I don't believe the Pacers will be able to resign him past a certain $ amount (need to read more about this or perhaps @Capt. Factorial can be my lazy shortcut ;) ).
  • 22 years old (birthday was a week ago)
  • 6'9.25" w/o shoes
  • 7'2.25" wingspan
  • 9'2" standing reach
  • 224.6 lbs
  • Potential as a good shooter (.319 3P% and .758 FT% in the NBA / .368 3P% and .750 FT% in his last year of college)
  • Potential as a good shotblocker/defender (1.5 BLK per 36 min in the NBA / 2.7 BLK per 36 min in his last year of college)
  • Potential as a good rebounder (11.8 REB per 36 min in the NBA / 12.1 REB per 36 min in his last year of college)

If Smith lives up to his potential, he theoretically could be a great fit next to Sabonis long term.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
I really would like us to take a long look at Jalen Smith. Very good buy-low candidate, and I don't believe the Pacers will be able to resign him past a certain $ amount (need to read more about this or perhaps @Capt. Factorial can be my lazy shortcut ;) ).
  • 6'9.25" w/o shoes
  • 7'2.25" wingspan
  • 9'2" standing reach
  • 224.6 lbs
  • Potential as a good shooter (.319 3P% and .758 FT% in the NBA / .368 3P% and .750 FT% in his last year of college)
  • Potential as a good shotblocker/defender (1.5 BLK per 36 min in the NBA / 2.7 BLK per 36 min in his last year of college)
  • Potential as a good rebounder (11.8 REB per 36 min in the NBA / 12.1 REB per 36 min in his last year of college)

If Smith lives up to his potential, he theoretically could be a great fit next to Sabonis long term.
Would be solid. The only issue is there is limited upside and if he flounders he hasn't built enough cred not to get pushed out of his spot. With a team like Sac there is a price point associated with a player like Smith and it's probably 5-6 million a year on a deal less than 3. Unfortunately that might not get the job done.

• 6'9.25" w/o shoes
  • 7'2.25" wingspan
  • 9'2" standing reach
  • 224.6 lbs

Yeah Jalen is the last name on my list, I'd be interested in this off-season. Has looked excellent at the 4 with Indy, showing some really nice overall skills. In the same vein as Vanderbilt last year (although the Vandy breakout was so easy to see), paying Smith a bit of a premium now (6-8 mil a year), could look incredible in a year or 2 if he fully develops into a starter. It's getting free optionality on a young player with pedigree.

That's why I like Hartenstein so much too. The breakout is waiting to happen and you just have to take a minor contract leap to grab it. Everything is there in the profile. While Smith hasn't been as statistically dominant, I see a similar idea/process with him too.

The draft is everything. Everything else depends on that. To me, Monte still needs to look at trades and draft night is obviously the time to pull that trigger. Then maybe hold onto the MLE and not spend it if they draft someone to keep. Kyle Anderson is obviously somebody that should be on the short list FA wise with the MLE if they do use it. Draft night also probably heavily effects how important someone like Donte DiVincenzo is moneterily. The best asset Monte has is the pick and at the deadline he didn't trade it so it's easily the 3rd biggest piece next to Fox and Sabonis at this point. I can get the Monk love and obviously Fox would push for that but if they draft a SG/SF, and there are tons of better options on draft night than Monk, then you simply can't do that. I'd rather re-sign Donte than get Monk at this point considering TD is > Monk. You can't really look at TD as your guaranteed starter at SG, but looking at him that way is actually kind of warranted when you consider what he did as a starter (25 mpg, 17.6 ppg 49% and 37% from 3) and figure it probably wasn't a fluke. And I don't think Monte thought it was and I agree with him there.
Yeah, this is more so just a "BPA" list of players I'd even consider worth using the MLE on. Guys I think are undervalued, fill an enormous role for the core, basically won't resign with their team because of cap constraints and have some age upside still built in (outside of Boucher). Unless I'm missing somebody, I don't think I'd drift too far outside these 5 as a focus

The draft will dictate these moves pretty clearly. Not going to go get Monk if we grab Ivey or Davis. Not going to go get Martin if we get Mathurin, Griffin. Not going to grab Hartenstein, Boucher or Smith if we get lucky with a top 3 pick and draft Jabari/Chet/Paolo.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
hit on this years draft pick and trade for another all-star in order to really turn next season into a hopeful one in my view

hit on this years draft pick and trade for another all-star in order to really turn next season into a hopeful one in my view
You probably can't get the all star without using that pick in the trade unfortunately. Keep the pick, move a bit of salary and/or keep things flexible this summer and they have max money next summer. The issue is this team never hits in FA and even if they do that list is rather short on available options next summer.

Hartenstein is a good find. Not sure how the fit would work. The stars would have to align perfectly there but he's having a breakout year.

I just can't convince myself to like Monk. He's improved from his play early on in his career but I'm just not a fan of his. He's kind of a poor man's Buddy. Probably a little better than the Buddy we've had of late but I just don't know about this guy.

Always like Boucher. Last years Boucher would be a perfect fit next to Sabonis but was last year a one hit wonder for him? He's also 29.

Caleb Martin would be a good one. Basically a young Justin Holiday without the 0-8 shooting every other game.

Jalen Smith has been playing extremely well since the trade but is he just on a hot streak? I'm not sure of his fit next to Sabonis since he's not a very good defender but he could be a great fit offensively.

All good finds that make sense one way or another. Which means the Kings won't even take a look at any of them.

Hartenstein is a good find. Not sure how the fit would work. The stars would have to align perfectly there but he's having a breakout year.

I just can't convince myself to like Monk. He's improved from his play early on in his career but I'm just not a fan of his. He's kind of a poor man's Buddy. Probably a little better than the Buddy we've had of late but I just don't know about this guy.

Always like Boucher. Last years Boucher would be a perfect fit next to Sabonis but was last year a one hit wonder for him? He's also 29.

Caleb Martin would be a good one. Basically a young Justin Holiday without the 0-8 shooting every other game.

Jalen Smith has been playing extremely well since the trade but is he just on a hot streak? I'm not sure of his fit next to Sabonis since he's not a very good defender but he could be a great fit offensively.

All good finds that make sense one way or another. Which means the Kings won't even take a look at any of them.
Yeah, I actually like Cody Martin quite a bit too (He can legit run some point, very very good passer, excellent defender, maybe not the same level spacer (38% on 2.3 attempts/game). But didn't include him because the Hornets still hold his RFA rights. Although, I do wonder what they'd be willing to shell out for him, since there's basically no path for him being a starter with them. Could be another potential S&T partner for Richaun Holmes if they aren't willing to deal PJ.

The Martin bros are just good players. Would be thrilled with either one (or both! and just fix our wing problem)

Do we have cap space outside of the MLE?
Quick search says cap is at $121mm, we have $108mm on the books. $13mm really isn’t much to play with but we also have Holmes at $11mm which I would imagine would be attractive to a lot of teams in a sign and trade which would put it up to $24mm in theory. Someone smarter than me might know what kind of flexibility that really works out to

we have a ton of contracts that are expiring after next year. Theoretically if we hire a good coach and have a breakout year next year we would be in good position for the 2023 class, when we only have $71mm on the books.

i’m sure the FO will conduct due diligence this summer but I suspect they will be happy to save that cash and spend big in the 2023 offseason. 23-24 is their final make or break year where they all get fired if there’s no playoffs so if we’re on the cusp I wouldn’t be surprised to see some massive overpays to get that one year of success, since if it doesn’t work out they won’t be around to have to clean up the mess. And they likely have zero incentive to think beyond that single year

Last edited:
A wildcard I have is Serbian 29year old SF Nikola Kalanic, he signed a two year deal with Red Star last year but the 2nd year could be optional and he's making around 1mil per season. The guy is a amazing Euroleague SF and imo NBA caliber player at the SF position, does everything well, insane competitor, two way player (really known for his defense) and smart. He's elite in the post when going against slightly smaller players or similar size and really a joy to watch the guy should have been in the NBA a long time ago. He carried (with Nate Walters) the Red Star team with no shot creators (he's average at shot creation) to a respectable record (still somewhat disappointing).

Ideally he's a 4-5th option but he had to step up to be a 1-2 option this season, having him come off the bench or even starting (Barnes is not traded move to PF) with his smarts toughness I don't see why he could not have a Joe Inglis (different players) type impact.
This season
Last season

A wildcard I have is Serbian 29year old SF Nikola Kalanic, he signed a two year deal with Red Star last year but the 2nd year could be optional and he's making around 1mil per season. The guy is a amazing Euroleague SF and imo NBA caliber player at the SF position, does everything well, insane competitor, two way player (really known for his defense) and smart. He's elite in the post when going against slightly smaller players or similar size and really a joy to watch the guy should have been in the NBA a long time ago. He carried (with Nate Walters) the Red Star team with no shot creators (he's average at shot creation) to a respectable record (still somewhat disappointing).

Ideally he's a 4-5th option but he had to step up to be a 1-2 option this season, having him come off the bench or even starting (Barnes is not traded move to PF) with his smarts toughness I don't see why he could not have a Joe Inglis (different players) type impact.
This season
Last season
Worth a look. Solid handles for his size.

Hartenstein is winning this game for the Clips here in the 4th. This isn't good for my already staunch love for him. Making Gobert a total non-factor here in the 4th (Gobert 0 pts,3 rebs, 1 block, 3 TOV's in the 4th quarter). Drew an easy offensive foul on Gobert the one set they went to him in the post. Had a big portion of the offensive run through him in the PnR and DHO action, especially before PG came back into the game. Been excellent cutting to the rim on these last few possessions for an easy lay-up. Finding open shooters, looks incredibly comfortable making good reads. He's just been in the "right" spots on both ends if that makes sense. Easy to see why his advanced metrics are off the charts good; just looks impactful with the eye test. He chucked one three that did not look good.

25:37
14 pts
7 reb
6 ast
1 steal
5-7 shooting
+25 (-21 for Zubac)

Screw it, I'm in on 2 big SZN. Hartenstein is going to be an above-average starter with excellent offensive feel/passing and tremendous rim protection instincts. He's 23, an UFA and all you have to do is beat the Clippers offer of their tax-payer exception ($5.8 mil/season). Let's recreate C-Webb/Vlade 2.0

This season
Last season
Looks like he's got game. Set shot looks a little funky at times but I'm sure he'd be a serviceable player.

I liked his post game

I think Bobby Portis is an ideal fit next to Sabonis. Good defender and can step out and hit the 3, BUUTTTTT he is not a rim protector which this team sorely need. But i would love to pry him from the bucks.

Also agree with Hartenstein as a low risk move that could be a great under the radar pickup.

Nic Claxton would be another piece and with $156M comitted next year, i dont see Nets being able to resign him. Good energy and rim protection though just average defender. If Sabonis can work on his 3pt shot, he can rove in the paint as a lob threat and shot blocker on the defensive end.

But my other target would be mitchell robinson who i believe is an UFA. Giid defense and elite shot blocking. Great lob threat for Sabonis and fox.

Portis>robinson>hartenstein >claxton in my wishlist

Regarding wings
Caleb and/or Cody Martin would be great pickups. Both are RFA and while Caleb is the better defender, both can defend 1-3 and hit the 3 reliably. Both are solid rebounders and passers. Would be happy with either one (or both if it gets them to us... Lol).

Yuta Watanabe would also be a reasonable pickup on the cheap and wouldn't mind running at Kyle anderson. Both have great length and are strong defenders. Could allow barnes to move to full time stretch 4. Watanabe especially is a better shooter and probably the cheaper of the 2.

Another route is of course trading holmes for PJ Washington but i get the impression they want to hold on to him.

Numbers:
DDV: Full MLE (10M)

Portis has a $4.5M player option which i gotta believe he will opt out of. I think i would throw $10-14M at him for 3 years. Bucks certainly cant match it, without portis even they are already committed to $152M

Mitchell Robinson: NYK have his bird rights so im not sure how likeky the Kings would be able to ory him from them. But he is only making $1.4M so he is likely up for a huge pay jump. Id still through $6-7M at him.

For Hartenstein, his upside is probably better than robinson but his name is not really out there as well as. Mitchell which can work for us. Target $4-6M for 3

Nic Claxton: probably the same target as hartenstein. But the nets also hold his bird rights so who knows if its possible. My guess is they will kove on from him.

Caleb/Cody Martin:
Caleb was probably one of the best value players (if not the best) on a 500K salary. I would throw 6-8M at him for 4 years. With Cody I would offer 5-7M per for 3.

Watanabe could probably have $3-4M thrown his way and be had.

For the Martins caleb wouls be my main target, but if cody is the one that is getable then I would try to swing a S/T with Charlotte for martin/PJW for Holmes and a 2nd or 2.

Ideally:
S/T for PJW/martin
5M for hartenstein
MLE DDV
4M Damian Jones

Fox/Mitchell/DDV
DDV/holiday/Martin/TD
Barnes/Martin/Holiday/Harkless
PJW/Lyles/Metu/Harkless
Sabonis/Hartenstein/Jones/Len
2022 1st rounder-dyson daniels?

Thats 16 so i try to move harkless and Len (try for cash compensation and 2nd rounders) and possibly let Jones walk too (redundant with Hartenstein).

That is a deep team with decent outside shooting, high speed and strong defenders. The team has good length as well.

Hartenstein will push the salaries to 113M but moving len/harkless will drop that back down to 109M. DDV on the MLE will push it to $119M and then you have your draftee to sign (probably 7th overall - 4.5M) outting the salary around $123M

Last edited:
As of now? Targets with the MLE or that level of salary should be NONE. Deals longer than 1 season without a team option should be NONE. Either make a trade for a star, or take the lotto pick and run. Then do whatever you can to dump the Holmes contract. Then be conservative. Don't be stuffing the cap with MLE role players that aren't the difference between the PO's or not. Been there, done that. The single time Vlade held onto the space he got Barnes practically for free at the deadline. Then re-evaluate mid season. You'll know by then if there's hope. They'd have their next pick, Davion, the last lotto player, and plenty of expiring dollars at that point to make a big deal should one come up. If next season looks like a bust then Monte is half way to a rebuild already. You start fielding offers for Fox/Sabonis. The next summer cap space can then be used to take on future picks and bad deals.

As of now? Targets with the MLE or that level of salary should be NONE. Deals longer than 1 season without a team option should be NONE. Either make a trade for a star, or take the lotto pick and run. Then do whatever you can to dump the Holmes contract. Then be conservative. Don't be stuffing the cap with MLE role players that aren't the difference between the PO's or not. Been there, done that. The single time Vlade held onto the space he got Barnes practically for free at the deadline. Then re-evaluate mid season. You'll know by then if there's hope. They'd have their next pick, Davion, the last lotto player, and plenty of expiring dollars at that point to make a big deal should one come up. If next season looks like a bust then Monte is half way to a rebuild already. You start fielding offers for Fox/Sabonis. The next summer cap space can then be used to take on future picks and bad deals.
I'd normally strongly agree with this sentiment, but McNair threw his chips in; it's Fox/Sabonis. There's no doubt about it anymore, those are the guys we're moving forward with. And especially with Sabonis on the UFA timeline in 2 years, there just isn't a ton of time to stay totally patient with this core.

You can be smart about it though; Guys like DDV, Hartenstein, the Martin bros, Jalen Smith, Malik Monk. Securing more young talent with upside still on the bone. Potential guys who can be real needle-movers. Where I do agree is avoiding the Trevor Ariza/ZBO/CoJo type of players/deals.

I'd normally strongly agree with this sentiment, but McNair threw his chips in; it's Fox/Sabonis. There's no doubt about it anymore, those are the guys we're moving forward with. And especially with Sabonis on the UFA timeline in 2 years, there just isn't a ton of time to stay totally patient with this core.

You can be smart about it though; Guys like DDV, Hartenstein, the Martin bros, Jalen Smith, Malik Monk. Securing more young talent with upside still on the bone. Potential guys who can be real needle-movers. Where I do agree is avoiding the Trevor Ariza/ZBO/CoJo type of players/deals.
But he didn't throw his chips in at the deadline around them with this pick so either he thought that they were good enough already to make the play in (apparently wrong although time was super short) or he wasn't exactly into throwing all his chips in yet and there is a multiple part plan in effect. And then you figure him not going after someone like Grant then could be with the idea that they can potentially sign him later while also keeping their own assets. When it comes to DDV, or whoever, the draft is it, that decides a bunch in terms of how valuable any player is to the Kings. Monte didn't sign Bogdan back because he could see that value wasn't there for the Kings with who they had already. Haliburton was the EXIT sign being lit up when it came to Bogdan. Same thing in this draft potentially unless Monte does move it or drafts someone like Murray who doesn't necessarily conflict with the G overload. Every year the Kings seem to sign "value" players relative to the belief in them around the league and then struggle to move them later and/or get less value and contracts to make a deal work coming back.

But he didn't throw his chips in at the deadline around them with this pick so either he thought that they were good enough already to make the play in (apparently wrong although time was super short) or he wasn't exactly into throwing all his chips in yet and there is a multiple part plan in effect. And then you figure him not going after someone like Grant then could be with the idea that they can potentially sign him later while also keeping their own assets. When it comes to DDV, or whoever, the draft is it, that decides a bunch in terms of how valuable any player is to the Kings. Monte didn't sign Bogdan back because he could see that value wasn't there for the Kings with who they had already. Haliburton was the EXIT sign being lit up when it came to Bogdan. Same thing in this draft potentially unless Monte does move it or drafts someone like Murray who doesn't necessarily conflict with the G overload. Every year the Kings seem to sign "value" players relative to the belief in them around the league and then struggle to move them later and/or get less value and contracts to make a deal work coming back.
Yeah, just needs to stay smart with the cap. Like I don't think an MLE contract to DDV and Hartenstein constitutes "bad money". I consider that smartly investing in good young players that are impactful in the right ways.

Yeah, just needs to stay smart with the cap. Like I don't think an MLE contract to DDV and Hartenstein constitutes "bad money". I consider that smartly investing in good young players that are impactful in the right ways.
Yeah, it depends on the investment of course and how it relates to the summer after next. Hartenstein might be of interest depending on what the C spot looks like. As of now, Len is on the books IIRC. Holmes is still on the books. If the Kings draft a SG/SF then it's not workable with Donte IMO unless they go all in on draft night with trades and create a guaranteed spot for Donte. Davion, Fox, TD, pick, Holiday = not enough minutes and Holiday is the only one outside of the potential SG they draft (Davis, Mathurin, Agbaji, etc.) that can swing to F consistently. Also, we obviously don't know the financials to come league wise with the cap and can't tell the future but as of now, a big chunk of that space the summer after this one should be considered DEAD with Barnes' humongous cap hold and/or next contract. Who they sign this summer could potentially cost them Barnes or max space in the one after. No bench guy is worth that right now. If they showed they were a few role players away then yeah, but they didn't.

Every year the Kings seem to sign "value" players relative to the belief in them around the league and then struggle to move them later and/or get less value and contracts to make a deal work coming back.
I won't dispute this but Monte's "value" players have all been at or around the league minimum.

Vlade signed guys to "wow, I can't believe the Kings signed them for so cheap" - which could also mean, nobody else wanted them at any price.

At least if the latter is true, the price is nil. I do think Monte needs to spend a little this offseason. But nailing the coach and the pick and resolving the Holmes situation are far more important.