Potential Free agent/trade/sign tracker

Why would you start Monk and be super undersized in the back court. You also have overlap with DeRozan in playing PnR. Seems like too much overlap in the starting line-up which Ellis fixes.
I said it somewhere else around the forum , i will personally use my high scoring 5 for starting the games and finishing them ... After all the one with more point win , right ?
So will start with Monk,Fox,Murray,DeRozan,Sabonis and will try just to outscore the other team in the first 8/10 minutes , then keep it close and finish the game with teh same fice and tempo ...
Od course in 90+ games as one good season will be , that will be mixed with defensice line-ups for start where Ellis will be from the first minute , but i had always prefer the attaking style in any kind of sports ...

I have some hopes that this versatic athletic forward for the 7th man could be Jalen McDaniels. I wanted him last offseason, I know he was terrible this past season in Toronto, but who knows.
I did too. And in theory, he's perfect for what we want in that bench wing role as a 3/4 flex with a lot of length.

But good lord was he bad bad last year.

I have been thinking some retreads would be the worst thing. Papa G and Super Mario could be decent end of bench options. But I don’t know why they’d leave major roles in Europe for bit parts in the NBA.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
You should watch some of Papa G. He's not that chubby 19 year old anymore. He looks pretty solid. It's a bit surprising an NBA team hasn't looked at him up to this point.
Yeah, he does look solid, but I don't think he's an upgrade over Len, and he's a pretty similar player. I'd like to see that third center role filled by someone who does something a bit different - maybe a guy who can stretch the floor and let the team play 5 out or a shotblocker/rim protector.

Yeah, he does look solid, but I don't think he's an upgrade over Len, and he's a pretty similar player. I'd like to see that third center role filled by someone who does something a bit different - maybe a guy who can stretch the floor and let the team play 5 out or a shotblocker/rim protector.
Len is actually a lot better rim protector than he's given credit for. Very few guys have gone through or over the top of him

Pokusevski that has been discussed here as a potential free agent that Kings can sign, agreed with Partizan and will continue his career back in his homeland Serbia. I guess he will play tonight vs USA in that friendly in Emirates.

He was kinda like Sasha, whenever he got a little momentum he would get injured. Dude had potential still. Maybe he could follow the path of Exum.
He came from the same club like Sasha before moving to the NBA, but he was just considered a raw talent back then (much younger than Sasha ofc) so he wasn't "missed" that much. He had injuries even when playing in Greece for Olympiakos.

In other European related news, Fournier that everybody thought he would return to Europe and according to rumors Olympiakos (the former Sasha and Poku club btw) is close to sign him, but the French announced that NBA is still his priority and he's not thinking of coming back to Europe still. I doubt that Fournier has been mentioned in this thread though, he will probably go for the veteran minimum in a team that is considered "contender" or at least "not tanking" one.

The Partizan rumour is overblown Poku wants to stay in the NBA (Partizan/Obradovic have done nothing but destroyed young Serbian talent from Koprivica/Vukcevic/Trifunovic and Smailagic none of these guys got better playing for him and get worse it a lot of ways). If the Kings didn't draft Carter I would be all for Aleksa Avramovic 6'3/6'4 Pat Bev with actual basketball skills. I honestly think it's sad Giannis can get his brothers who can't play in the NBA (are garbage Euroleague players) and LeBron can get his son but Jokic can't actually get cheap contracts for Serbian players who can actually play and help the Nuggets (Poku/Petrusev/Avramovic).

Last edited:
Who’s our third big? Monte hinted at the idea we were done adding guards haha. Who can we bring in on a minimum? How about Huff off the Magic’s summer league roster? He killed it, shoots 3s and is big. He has had a couple two ways and is probably ready for a full roster spot. Don’t think Orland needs a 4th center.

I just don’t see it. Good player but to me not enough of an upgrade over KVon if the asking price is a first rounder or more. If I’m Monte I let the season play out and wait to the deadline to decide on the next move.

I just don’t see it. Good player but to me not enough of an upgrade over KVon if the asking price is a first rounder or more. If I’m Monte I let the season play out and wait to the deadline to decide on the next move.
Cam is better though, especially coming off a down Huerter year and us being able to balance our roster with a perfect 3/4 flex wing is very very appealing. I agree, on a neutral team with nobody on the roster, Cam and Huerter are pretty closely ranked in terms of overall talent. But have to side with the wing size and better defense and bringing the same level of elite shooting.

I think depends on how "all-in" we want to be on this 2-3 year window. We've already committed to DDR being the big swing with this Fox/Domas core; either we continue to push chips to make sure that can work or we keep trying to hedge and leave bullets in the chamber for next off-season or 2.

Fox || Carter
Keon || Monk
DDR || Cam
Keegan || Lyles
Domas || Len

That's got the horses to be a top 4 West team, imo.

Cam is better though, especially coming off a down Huerter year and us being able to balance our roster with a perfect 3/4 flex wing is very very appealing. I agree, on a neutral team with nobody on the roster, Cam and Huerter are pretty closely ranked in terms of overall talent. But have to side with the wing size and better defense and bringing the same level of elite shooting.

I think depends on how "all-in" we want to be on this 2-3 year window. We've already committed to DDR being the big swing with this Fox/Domas core; either we continue to push chips to make sure that can work or we keep trying to hedge and leave bullets in the chamber for next off-season or 2.

Fox || Carter
Keon || Monk
DDR || Cam
Keegan || Lyles
Domas || Len

That's got the horses to be a top 4 West team, imo.
If he was a lock down defender I’d be on board but he seems mostly solid + at this point. I’d like to see what we have before dispersing our remaining assets unless it’s a player for player swap plus second rounders. I’d imagine if we do trade for him the plan would be to start him but who knows.

Monte made his moves. He added two talents this offseason that he shouldn't have been able to. Now Monte needs to see what he has first. Monte's only mistake thusfar was assuming what was good enough yesterday was still good enough today. He ran back a team last season that didn't really get worse it's just the bar was raised and we've seen how difficult it was to reverse back out of that. The smart play is to see what this new trio looks like first then make moves accordingly. This team could be a Cam Johnson away from contending, but in reality if that were the case they were already knocking on that door without him as it was in all likelihood anyway. However, if you aren't a Cam Johnson away you probably locked yourself in by getting him and if Cam Johnson making 20 million a year is now playing 3 and D putting up 8-10 ppg good luck not getting into another Huerter/Barnes scenario right off the bat.

I’m pretty tired of the run it back narrative being bad. We have really good evidence that Monte tried a few big swings, he just didn’t want pay the price being asked.
This would be my take. I thought it was a really smart play, especially considering the price some guys were going for in FA, to just bet on continuity with a 48 win team that took the defending champs to 7 games in their first season breaking a historic playoff drought. Add a few depth pieces (Duarte/Sasha) to beef up the back end rotation and see what happens. Just didn't work and that's okay because he correctly realized that this off-season and hard-pivoted with a big swing in DDR.

Still really need a PF type like Kuzma get it done Monte or it will just be like a better version of last year but this team really needs to shoot for the top.

Just give the 2 firsts they are asking for and move on I'm sure free agents would want to sign here once we win more anyways...

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Still really need a PF type like Kuzma get it done Monte or it will just be like a better version of last year but this team really needs to shoot for the top.

Just give the 2 firsts they are asking for and move on I'm sure free agents would want to sign here once we win more anyways...
The starting forwards will be Murray and DeRozan. Which of them would you move to the bench for Kuzma?