2022 Free Agent Targets

Sorry if I missed something but I’m most curious about our own restricted FA DDV. Any word or updates on him and resigning?
Seems to me that passing on Ivey would make Sacramento more attractive to him unless of course someone like Monk is coming our way, that one doesn’t sound likely, but who knows.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Monk said he would rather stay with the Lakers than make 5 mil a year more with another team
What a dumb dumb move.
Reminds me of a company I used to work for that listed living in the city they were located in as one of the company benefits. Nevermind they didn't pay enough to live well in that city. Also a large percentage of their jobs were travel jobs so you paid a premium to live in that city and then didn't get to spend but 1 week a month there.

If the Lakers were at least good I could understand the appeal of playing for that org, but not when they are a tire fire reliant on paying players minimum wages so LeBron and AD and Russ can singlehandedly put the team into luxury territory.

Last edited:

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
There's at least a bit of skepticism about that article, especially considering that DDV said at least a couple of things in the media following that article that suggested he expected to be back. At any rate, he's due to be an RFA, so if we want him, he's ours. The worst case scenario is that he signs the QO, stays here for one year below market value, and then becomes a UFA next summer. Otherwise, we can match any contract offered, or negotiate one ourselves.

Yeah, I’d really like to see what a healthy, happy resigned Donte can do with this squad.
Oladipo, is also pretty intriguing, already connected to Sabonis, but I’m clueless how serious his injury history is.

Last edited:

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
Yeah, I’d really like to see what a healthy, happy resigned Donte can do with this squad.
The English language did not evolve to be kind to sports boards. I hate having to type "re-signed". But nobody would put up with a new orthography of "rezign, rezignation" even if the "z" does better represent the sound there.

The English language did not evolve to be kind to sports boards. I hate having to type "re-signed". But nobody would put up with a new orthography of "rezign, rezignation" even if the "z" does better represent the sound there.
Point taken.
It probably doesn’t help that I’ve lived 20 years in Australia where they deconstruct every word possible.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
Point taken.
It probably doesn’t help that I’ve lived 20 years in Australia where they deconstruct every word possible.
Oh, wasn't at all a shot at you! I just have a pet peeve that that particular word is ambiguous on sports boards and wanted to complain briefly about it after I misread initially that you wanted DDV to be both happy and "rezigned" to his fate - obviously I figured it out!

Oh, wasn't at all a shot at you! I just have a pet peeve that that particular word is ambiguous on sports boards and wanted to complain briefly about it after I misread initially that you wanted DDV to be both happy and "rezigned" to his fate - obviously I figured it out!
All good. I did omit the - , however I see it can be interpreted as Donte accepting his fate.
It is somewhat interesting that many words are spelled differently in Australia. Australian software frequently auto-corrects spelling that would work in the US.

Last edited:
Rumors on Hoopshype suggesting Oladipo could sign a 1 year deal with the Kings to boost his stock. If this were to happen and a trade for Kennard for Holmes it might be the first time in a while I’m excited about our 2 spot headed into a season, especially still having TD as another option.
I'd love Kennard on this team. If Monte can get that trade down, I think we're locked in for the play-in...

Holmes + a bunch of 2nd round picks for Kennard?

Rumors on Hoopshype suggesting Oladipo could sign a 1 year deal with the Kings to boost his stock. If this were to happen and a trade for Kennard for Holmes it might be the first time in a while I’m excited about our 2 spot headed into a season, especially still having TD as another option.
Trade for Kennard, sign Hartenstein, Dipo on a prove it deal, re-sign DDV:

Fox || Mitchell
DDV || Dipo
Barnes || Kennard
Murray || Lyles
Sabonis || Hartenstein.

You could pretty easily chop that to 9 guys and float Barnes down at the 4, Big-skilled bully ball with Hartenstein/Sabonis playing together. Not perfect defensively, but Hartenstein really does help solve a lot of our defensive problems as an excellent rim protector and maybe Dipo has a bit left in the tank on the defensive end. I'd make a call on Terance Mann too, see if they would potentially shop him.

I'd love Kennard on this team. If Monte can get that trade down, I think we're locked in for the play-in...

Holmes + a bunch of 2nd round picks for Kennard?
Im not even sure a bunch of 2nds would be needed. Zubac has a team option for 7.5 but was out played easily by Hartenstein. That said Hartenstein is a UFA expected to get offered the MLE by a handful of competitive teams to be their starting 5. Clippers are well over the cap and already in the luxury tax. Their MLE is likely going to John Wall so Hartenstein is walking and it could save the team a lot of money by not picking up Zubac’s option and acquiring Holmes for Kennard, which saves them another 4 mil. It actually benefits them financially and the play they’ll get on the court upgrading from Zubac to Holmes. Kennard isn’t likely to get a ton of run with all the wings they already have and is signed for 3 more years, it’s a salary dump move for them somewhat.

Trade for Kennard, sign Hartenstein, Dipo on a prove it deal, re-sign DDV:

Fox || Mitchell
DDV || Dipo
Barnes || Kennard
Murray || Lyles
Sabonis || Hartenstein.
This would actually be a solid rotation with dare I say, hope, headed into the season. I’m not sure Hartenstein would come to Sac being we already have Sabo starting at the 5. There’s thought to be a lot of interest in him to start somewhere. And he would be our MLE, we wouldn’t be able to offer anything more. But as you said, his defense would be a big lift amongst the bigs.

This would actually be a solid rotation with dare I say, hope, headed into the season. I’m not sure Hartenstein would come to Sac being we already have Sabo starting at the 5. There’s thought to be a lot of interest in him to start somewhere. And he would be our MLE, we wouldn’t be able to offer anything more. But as you said, his defense would be a big lift amongst the bigs.
I screamed this all last off-season with Vanderbilt... throw the full MLE at him. He's a young player that's ready to breakout as an above average starter and shouldn't be available as a UFA. Even better than Vandy, the Clips are basically waving Hartenstein out the door with them likely using at least a chunk of their tax-payer MLE. I'm just a big dumb dumb with a basic understanding of how some of these metrics work and it's so easy to spot some of these guys when they're ready to explode with an increase in minutes.

I said this in my first post during this thread; I think him and Sabonis can work and especially if Brown wants to run the Princeton? Hartenstein and his 17.5% AST rate along with his elite rim protection say hello. So even if Hartenstein isn't a consistent spacer (yet... he started chucking at the end of the year for a really good rate.), he still commands defenses to play up on him or you give him free passing lanes. And the Clips were very happy to run all sorts of sets through him as a playmaker. It wasn't "cheese" type assists, it was actual great passing/creation plays from him.

I like GPII, I like the Martin twins, I like Porter and Boucher, but Hartenstein is the real prize that's attainable for us this off-season. 23 year olds with his offensive tools (finishing, passing, offensive feel) rebounding, bball IQ and rim protection should never be attainable on the market.

You’re definitely on to something, he finished out the year very well. He’s gonna be a good player for someone, I just think he’ll want to choose somewhere where he’ll get his chance to be someone’s centerpiece as a big. Currently we have Sabo and some combination of Barnes and Murray so while he is talented he may never get his shot to shine here.

You’re definitely on to something, he finished out the year very well. He’s gonna be a good player for someone, I just think he’ll want to choose somewhere where he’ll get his chance to be someone’s centerpiece as a big. Currently we have Sabo and some combination of Barnes and Murray so while he is talented he may never get his shot to shine here.
I wonder how many starting center positions are open? Toronto maybe. We keep throwing Charlotte out there but they drafted a center who could probably contribute right away. Who else?

There's another FA we're overlooking on the Clippers... Amir Coffey. He's a 25-year-old RFA who broke out with the Clippers last season.

6'7 wing with a near 7'0 wingspan who's capable of playing on both ends of the floor. He's a low risk, high reward type of player. Here was a big game he had: