Potential Free agent/trade/sign tracker

Simple trade idea: Huerter/Lyles for John Collins (maybe add 1st rounder if need be) …

Incentive for Utah is Huerter makes $10 million less than Collins for 25-26 year, Lyles expiring so gives them more cap for 2025 FA

For Kings - Now w/ DeRozan signed, they dont care much about 2025 cap space. Collins is signed for 2 more years which matches with DeRozan timeline. Collins is pretty much a more versatile/better Lyles. He’d play 4’ but can also run small ball 5 in spurts too. Would help rebounding as well & allow Keegan to play more at the 3’ (next to Collins). Collins is also former teammate of Len, Len’s best offensive season was next to him in Atlanta when he shot 36% from 3’ (added bonus).

So Collins would be the backup 4’, but with Keegan getting some minutes at 3’, plus with small ball 5 minutes would still play 25-30 min per game here.

This trade makes too much sense to not happen in my opinion. Only holdup is if Utah is asking for multiple picks.

Highsmith is a elite defender with solid catch and shoot ability but smallish in terms of height (6'4/6'5 going against SF's/PFs at times)but makes up for it, has zero offense other than catch and shoot and cutting without the ball. Might be kind of redundant with Ellis/Carter if its trading Ellis away and getting him than yeah I would do it I think he's a upgrade over Keon.
Signed with the Miami Heat

Yeah, it's looking more like the Kings would be making another min. signing and that's it. Not sure Huerter has any value right now and if the Kings do make a trade in the year they'd likely need his salary to even make any major deals possible. The only real significant salary outside of the big 3 are Monk and Huerter at this point.

Many of our high ends and low end forward options have been signed already. We need to start building out on minimums,especially on wing and front line while we try to possiblly swing another trade. But with Carter injury (likley our first 2-4 months of the season) it makes sense why we havent traded Huerter and why we signed Mclaughlin. Currently i think we are $11.9M below the tax apron, but still have to sign Carter ($3.9M/$4.1M/$4.2M), so actually have $8M left to spend.

Best Options at wing left:
Javonte Green (6'5" SG/SF, with a bonkers 6'10" wingspan) only played 9 games last year (for the bulls) but started 5 of those. In 25min averaged 12pts/7.5reb/0.9blk. Has been a decent shooter (35-37% from 3pt) and a reasonable defender when given opportunity. Was only on a 10 day contract with bulls so low probability he needs much more than the minimum 1 yr guarantee ($2M) to close a deal.

Give part of the MLE to (6'5" with 6'8.5" wingspan) Isaac Okoro. Probably $6M/yr x 3 - Likely better than what Cavs are willing to give (he is a RFA), but if they match, i wont lose sleep (not trying to trade anything for him).

Gordon Hayward on a vet minimum 1 yr with 2nd year option (with his bad showing in OKC but good numbers the 1st half of the year, id throw a roster spot at him)

Jae Crowder has also fallen off a good bit. May be worth a vet min flyer

I think we can hold off on resigning a 3rd center for now. I think someone like Javale Mcgee will be there to sign if we need to.

Personally would go for Okoro and Javonte Green ($6m/yr x 3 and $2M vet min respectively, maybe a team option year 2)

That gives us
Fox/Monk/McLaughlin/Carter (when he is back will move up past Mclaughlin)
Ellis/Huerter/Green/Jones
DDR/Okoro/Green
Murray/Lyles/Mcdaniels
Sabonis/Len/Lyles

Puts us at 15 players and still right at the luxury cap. If we cant make that work, id drop okoro and try for vet min for Hayward (gives more shooting and would be $2-3M less than Okoro.

Fox/Monk/McLaughlin/Carter (when he is back will move up past Mclaughlin)
Ellis/Huerter/Green/Jones
DDR/Hayward/Green
Murray/Lyles/Mcdaniels
Sabonis/Len/Lyles

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Virtually impossible to get Grant even if we wanted him now that we are hard capped at the first apron via the S&T for DeRozan.

What changed since the trade? We sign him for around 24 M this season and we lost HB (18 M) and Duarte (6 M). Why are we worse than before?
once you complete a sign and trade your hard capped at the first apron. So we can trade Huerter and someone OR we can just sign someone with our MLE. Either way we go into the tax a bit.

once you complete a sign and trade your hard capped at the first apron. So we can trade Huerter and someone OR we can just sign someone with our MLE. Either way we go into the tax a bit.
From my understanding, after signing Monk, DDR, McLaughlin, and Devon Carter, we are still 8M below the tax apron. I get that we may be hardcapped, but i dont think that equals us having to actually pay tax, but i may not understand the new rules appropriately.

That said based on my very limited understanding and read, a team is only Hard capped by a S/T IF at prior to the transaction, the team was above the apron already. They have to use the S/T to get below the apron, BUT they are hard capped after the transaction. I dont believe the Kings are hard capped.

Last edited:

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
From my understanding, after signing Monk, DDR, McLaughlin, and Devon Carter, we are still 8M below the tax apron. I get that we may be hardcapped, but i dont think that equals us having to actually pay tax, but i may not understand the new rules appropriately.

That said based on my very limited understanding and read, a team is only Hard capped by a S/T IF at prior to the transaction, the team was above the apron already. They have to use the S/T to get below the apron, BUT they are hard capped after the transaction. I dont believe the Kings are hard capped.
A team who receives a player in a sign-and-trade transaction is hard capped at the first apron, period. That hard cap includes the S&T transaction in question. There is no requirement that a hard cap only applies if a team uses a S&T to get below the first apron (this maneuver is theoretically possible, as when receiving a player in a S&T, team salary can go down, as ours did - but it does not bear on the S&T hard cap). One could perhaps read your statement another way: "If a team is above the first apron, they may receive a player in a S&T provided that after the S&T transaction they end up below the first apron. They may not receive a player in a S&T otherwise." This would be true, and such a team would be hard capped at the first apron. But a team like the Kings, who was below the first apron both before and after the S&T transaction, is also hard capped by virtue of receiving a player in a S&T.

The tax line is unrelated to the hard cap. We are currently under the tax line (which is less than the first apron by about $7M) and would not be a taxpaying team if our team salary stays below that line. It would, however, be possible for us to cross the tax line and become a taxpayer without violating our hard cap.

A team who receives a player in a sign-and-trade transaction is hard capped at the first apron, period. That hard cap includes the S&T transaction in question. There is no requirement that a hard cap only applies if a team uses a S&T to get below the first apron (this maneuver is theoretically possible, as when receiving a player in a S&T, team salary can go down, as ours did - but it does not bear on the S&T hard cap). One could perhaps read your statement another way: "If a team is above the first apron, they may receive a player in a S&T provided that after the S&T transaction they end up below the first apron. They may not receive a player in a S&T otherwise." This would be true, and such a team would be hard capped at the first apron. But a team like the Kings, who was below the first apron both before and after the S&T transaction, is also hard capped by virtue of receiving a player in a S&T.

The tax line is unrelated to the hard cap. We are currently under the tax line (which is less than the first apron by about $7M) and would not be a taxpaying team if our team salary stays below that line. It would, however, be possible for us to cross the tax line and become a taxpayer without violating our hard cap.
This once again, seems super bad for players?

What exactly did they get in this CBA negotiation?

Yeah, it's looking more like the Kings would be making another min. signing and that's it. Not sure Huerter has any value right now and if the Kings do make a trade in the year they'd likely need his salary to even make any major deals possible. The only real significant salary outside of the big 3 are Monk and Huerter at this point.
yeh it will be interesting what happens between now and the deadline because if there is a defense first forward out there we may need both Huerter and Lyles salaries to match on a trade. My guess is we ride with what we got and hope that Jones or Crawford add something on the fringes.

Our bench is kinda weird to start the year. Its prob:

Monk
KVon
Len
Lyles
Jordan M

Eventually you add Carter to that mix. Plenty of shooting in that group but not enough defense or size. In my opinion KVon and Lyles now need to be turned into a big forward who shoots and defends. I really haven’t been in on DFS but if you get him for Lyles/Kvon and reasonable draft capital that seems like a good fit now.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I think it's less than that. From what i could tell, we were at $12M under but that didnt include the $3.9M alloted for Carter.
You're right, my mental arithmetic was apparently not right; went to the calculator and the numbers came out different. If you assume Carter is going to get the customary 120%, and that McLaughlin is getting the minimum, we're only about $2M under the tax and we have about $10M before we bump into the hard cap. We'll have to fill one more roster spot to get to 14 - without dumping salary we might just be able to stay under the tax if our 14th contract is a minimum deal.

So 3 days ago Bobby Marks showed that we were about $5.1M under the tax needing to fill 2 roster spots (but he showed this was with Devin Carter). So after this we signed Jordan Mclaughlin to the vet min ($2.4M for a 5th year player) leaving us ~$2.6M to sign another player.

That said, per HoopsHype we have 13 spots filled, 3 two-way players. They have us at $170M, but using their numbers, I show $166.1M in committed salary with another $1.7M in 2 way contracts (but these dont count against the cap). So we have $2.6-$4.7M left to spend depending on the numbers (Marks vs HoopsHype. Im sure HoopsHype is missing something or im leaving something out.
https://hoopshype.com/salaries/sacramento_kings/

I think we have to get either another wing or a 3&D 4. The only UFA I see at the 4 that is out there to fit that bill and would probably sign for the vet min, is Marcus Morris Sr and im kinda opposed to either Morris brother (fairly low character guys). But he would be a deep bench vet. I'd rather though go get another wing like Javonte Green who was on a 10 day contract with the bulls at the end of the season, and played very well (started 5 games). In 25min/game averaged 12/7 on 55% from the field and 36% from 3 and played very solid defense.

Last edited:

So 3 days ago Bobby Marks showed that we were about $5.1M under the tax needing to fill 2 roster spots (but he showed this was with Devin Carter). So after this we signed Jordan Mclaughlin to the vet min ($2.4M for a 5th year player) leaving us ~$2.6M to sign another player.

That said, per HoopsHype we have 13 spots filled, 3 two-way players. They have us at $170M, but using their numbers, I show $166.1M in committed salary with another $1.7M in 2 way contracts (but these dont count against the cap). So we have $2.6-$4.7M left to spend depending on the numbers (Marks vs HoopsHype. Im sure HoopsHype is missing something or im leaving something out.
https://hoopshype.com/salaries/sacramento_kings/

I think we have to get either another wing or a 3&D 4. The only UFA I see at the 4 that is out there to fit that bill and would probably sign for the vet min, is Marcus Morris Sr and im kinda opposed to either Morris brother (fairly low character guys). But he would be a deep bench vet. I'd rather though go get another wing like Javonte Green who was on a 10 day contract with the bulls at the end of the season, and played very well (started 5 games). In 25min/game averaged 12/7 on 55% from the field and 36% from 3 and played very solid defense.
They don't have to fill that last spot.

I'm hoping the 2 way guys show enough in summer league to get some run.
I guess the question is that in the event of a an injury to our core guys, do you want to count on a 2 way or have an established NBA player? Id rather get Javonte Green or Morris, ect on partial guarantees and if I like the 2 way players progression, can cut the vet and convert the 2 way to a full contract.