Potential Free agent/trade/sign tracker

Dream-Off season for me now:

#1 - Splash Trade for a starter who is a scoring threat/wing - Ingram
#2 - MLE - Another 3 and D wing - Naji Marshall
#3 - BI - Backup C - would love it if they had the ability to shoot the 3 and rim protect, but this may be wishful thinking with the BI

Would leave us with:

PG - Fox/Carter (8th)
SG - Ellis/Monk (6th)/ Colby (11th)
SF - Ingram/Naji (7th)/Duarte
PF - Murray/Lyles (9th)/Naji(7th)/McDaniels (12th)
C - Sabonis/Back up C (10th)

Also included what order people would be coming off the bench. This would be a 2nd round/WCF team IMO.

Last edited:

#3 - BI - Backup C - would love it if they had the ability to shoot the 3 and rim protect, but this may be wishful thinking with the BI

Would leave us with:

PG - Fox/Carter (8th)
SG - Ellis/Monk (6th)/ Colby
PF - Murray/Naji(7th)/McDaniels
C - Sabonis/Back up C

Also included what order people would be coming of the bench. This would be a 2nd round/WCF team IMO.
You must have forgot Lyles

I think my guy is Naji Marshall.

Not just a traditional 3&D wing. Perfect size to slot in at the 4 and be switchable with Keegan. He's got A LOT more comfort handling the ball than you might expect and he's a pretty dang good playmaker. Career 14.2% AST rate is extremely good and shows promise that he's ready for a true breakout, especially if that shot is real. Great size at 6'7 with a 7'0 wingspan

I think he's an impact defender now and there's just some really intriguing signs in his offensive profile that suggests he's probably a great offensive player. And he's a UFA for a team that's already committed to Herb Jones, will have to give a huge raise to Trey Murphy next off-season and still has to figure out where Ingram goes.

Would leave us with:

PG - Fox/Carter (8th)
SG - Ellis/Monk (6th)/ Colby
PF - Murray/Lyles (9th)/Naji(7th)/McDaniels
C - Sabonis/Back up C

Also included what order people would be coming of the bench. This would be a 2nd round/WCF team IMO.
that would be amazing

Not just a traditional 3&D wing. Perfect size to slot in at the 4 and be switchable with Keegan. He's got A LOT more comfort handling the ball than you might expect and he's a pretty dang good playmaker. Career 14.2% AST rate is extremely good and shows promise that he's ready for a true breakout, especially if that shot is real. Great size at 6'7 with a 7'0 wingspan

I think he's an impact defender now and there's just some really intriguing signs in his offensive profile that suggests he's probably a great offensive player. And he's a UFA for a team that's already committed to Herb Jones, will have to give a huge raise to Trey Murphy next off-season and still has to figure out where Ingram goes.
After your Hartenstein/Vandervbuilt predictions I'm going to have to agree.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member

I like Naji. And I believe he's an UFA so no concerns about New Orleans matching or hamstringing our off-season.

And this aligns with my preference to sign an up and coming player vs giving up a bunch of draft capital for someone like Brandon Ingram.

Because then you still have Barnes and Huerter to trade to reshape the roster. I'm still high on trying to get Thybulle and Williams from Portland, who seemingly won't have minutes for either guy next season.

I like Naji. And I believe he's an UFA so no concerns about New Orleans matching or hamstringing our off-season.

And this aligns with my preference to sign an up and coming player vs giving up a bunch of draft capital for someone like Brandon Ingram.

Because then you still have Barnes and Huerter to trade to reshape the roster. I'm still high on trying to get Thybulle and Williams from Portland, who seemingly won't have minutes for either guy next season.
I would be very open to a Heurter/Duarte trade for Williams/Thubulle if the wing trade market doesn’t develop. Make Naji our starting #4 and bring Barnes off the bench.

To me, a lot of the direction in free agency depends on what you can expect from Coach Brown. Will he still start Barnes over Marshall or another MLE-level forward? Will he actually play Lyles at center? Is there really thought about playing Sabonis at the 4, even though we’ve seen very little of that so far?

I would be very open to a Heurter/Duarte trade for Williams/Thubulle if the wing trade market doesn’t develop. Make Naji our starting #4 and bring Barnes off the bench.
Bob Williams would be an outstanding buy low. Dude is ridiculously good anytime he's on the floor...which is the problem, but he'd be a massive massive upgrade for our defense if he managed to put together a Jon Isaac type line of 15 MPG and like 60 games played

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
To me, a lot of the direction in free agency depends on what you can expect from Coach Brown. Will he still start Barnes over Marshall or another MLE-level forward? Will he actually play Lyles at center? Is there really thought about playing Sabonis at the 4, even though we’ve seen very little of that so far?
he played Lyles at center for a large portion of the year last year and it didn’t work out which led to Len getting the backup center role back.

he played Lyles at center for a large portion of the year last year and it didn’t work out which led to Len getting the backup center role back.
Basketball reference has Lyles at center in 17% of his minutes last season, and I seem to remember calls here for him to play more center, but these are both admittedly imperfect sources at best.

Either way, I don’t expect to see much of Lyles at center this year, so perhaps there’s an argument for saving some portion of the MLE for a backup center, although part of me dies at the thought of using more than the vet min. Maybe someone like Smith, who could seemingly play both next to and back up Sabonis, would be the best fit.

Although the season before, it worked well with Lyles at the 5 with the same players. You wonder sometimes if they rely too much on small sample size stats and not enough on what they're actually seeing.

I sure wouldn't give up on Lyles being an effective player at the 5, when it makes sense with who is on the floor

In FIBA ball Val/Sabonis has been a disaster but I don't know NBA is a different game at first my reaction is no way it will work but than again I rather try something like that than go back to Barnes/Sabonis.
If Monte is wanting to go "big" JV is probably the best option. He can still shoot, isn't really someone expecting to get 36 mpg, and is skilled. MLE for a basically a backup C is an overpay, but if he can play 10 of those minutes next to Domas then it's fine. The issue with Richaun Holmes was he didn't have size nor the shooting or post up ability Valanciunas does which made it an obvious possible disaster in wait. Not sure this would be at all an issue with JV.

Although the season before, it worked well with Lyles at the 5 with the same players. You wonder sometimes if they rely too much on small sample size stats and not enough on what they're actually seeing.

I sure wouldn't give up on Lyles being an effective player at the 5, when it makes sense with who is on the floor
Yeah, Lyles at the 5 has to be an offensive stretch 5 gimmicky type. Brown was all in on defense last season not so much shooting any longer. That was clearly the goal in his mind so it's only natural Len eventually grabbed those minutes. Len is by far the best defensive big on the Kings. And as seen, it's not even close. He was a major part of that jump. I think at one point his ratings were the highest on the team during that stretch IIRC.

Would leave us with:

PG - Fox/Carter (8th)
SG - Ellis/Monk (6th)/ Colby (11th)
PF - Murray/Lyles (9th)/Naji(7th)/McDaniels (12th)
C - Sabonis/Back up C (10th)

Also included what order people would be coming off the bench. This would be a 2nd round/WCF team IMO.
Looks good on paper, but I think it's too many bodies again. Naji or Lyles would be gobbling up eachothers minutes at some point unless Lyles is the backup C. For the Kings 4 G rotation to actually work, one of Keon or Carter needs minutes at SF. Those few minutes at true backup SF in that instance should be theirs.

The reality is that Murray and Ingram kind of trade off in this scenario the way Lyles and Barnes usually do. Murray goes out, when Ingram comes out, Murray goes in with the transition minutes going to Keon/Carter.

Yeah, Lyles at the 5 has to be an offensive stretch 5 gimmicky type. Brown was all in on defense last season not so much shooting any longer. That was clearly the goal in his mind so it's only natural Len eventually grabbed those minutes. Len is by far the best defensive big on the Kings. And as seen, it's not even close. He was a major part of that jump. I think at one point his ratings were the highest on the team during that stretch IIRC.
It's odd how seemingly most are always ready to get rid of Len, when he's consistently been effective for the team in all of his seasons with the Kings. He's sadly underappreciated

It's odd how seemingly most are always ready to get rid of Len, when he's consistently been effective for the team in all of his seasons with the Kings. He's sadly underappreciated
And it's amazing how Brown always goes with others, then when the others fail, it's right back to Len. I still have to think there's some restriction on how many minutes Len is available for. Otherwise all that time fans were wondering how McGee was playing over Len just looks like WTF haha. It happened the year before too with Metu. Once it got close to the playoffs Brown started playing Len and Metu was on his way out the door.

I need to look into Marshall a bit more. Anything that depletes New Orleans dominance over us without costing a lot of draft capital, such as Ingram, is welcomed.

And it's amazing how Brown always goes with others, then when the others fail, it's right back to Len. I still have to think there's some restriction on how many minutes Len is available for. Otherwise all that time fans were wondering how McGee was playing over Len just looks like WTF haha. It happened the year before too with Metu. Once it got close to the playoffs Brown started playing Len and Metu was on his way out the door.
Brown, like most everyone else, is always looking for someone better/different. Part of that of course comes with the job as head coach, but for whatever reason, it has been excessive with Len.

I really don't think it has anything to do with a minutes restriction, outside of when he first came back from injury.

Brown, like most everyone else, is always looking for someone better/different. Part of that of course comes with the job as head coach, but for whatever reason, it has been excessive with Len.

I really don't think it has anything to do with a minutes restriction, outside of when he first came back from injury.
That might be the case, then that speaks to him believing Len was always a better option as a safety net. See if they work, if not, Lens here, haha.