Potential Free agent/trade/sign tracker

So with us keeping #13 and drafting Carter, I’m assuming we’re going to be using the following players/assets to dangle in a trade…
  • Davion Mitchell
  • Chris Duarte
  • Colby Jones
  • Kevin Huerter
  • Harrison Barnes
  • Sasha Vezenkov
  • Future 2nds

…which means we’re probably targeting guys like…
  1. DeAndre Hunter
  2. Dorian Finney-Smith
  3. Cam Johnson
  4. Grant Williams
  5. Dean Wade
  6. Isaiah Stewart
  7. Andrew Wiggins
  8. Bobby Portis
  9. Wendell Carter Jr. (I think Isaac would cost more than those assets)
  10. John Collins
Which of those 10 players would be your preference at this point?
Assuming health I think Carter Jr is by far the best option to pair with Sabonis followed by Hunter/Williams/Wade, Portis to me is trash and overrated same as DFS. Cam Johnson to me is another HB/Huerter level player who brings no toughness. Stewart and Collins I'd be ok with but I think they are a tier below Carter Jr/WIlliams in terms of helping you win. I could see Detroit wanting Vezenkov for shooting and Huerter.

So with us keeping #13 and drafting Carter, I’m assuming we’re going to be using the following players/assets to dangle in a trade…
  • Davion Mitchell
  • Chris Duarte
  • Colby Jones
  • Kevin Huerter
  • Harrison Barnes
  • Sasha Vezenkov
  • Future 2nds

…which means we’re probably targeting guys like…
  1. DeAndre Hunter
  2. Dorian Finney-Smith
  3. Cam Johnson
  4. Grant Williams
  5. Dean Wade
  6. Isaiah Stewart
  7. Andrew Wiggins
  8. Bobby Portis
  9. Wendell Carter Jr. (I think Isaac would cost more than those assets)
  10. John Collins
Which of those 10 players would be your preference at this point?
1. Wendell Carter Jr.
2. Isaiah Stewart
3. Bobby Portis
4. DFS

Not very interested in the rest for their price, level or contracts.

I’d have to choose Grant Williams since I’m on record for saying that my ideal offseason was to draft Carter at #13 and make the following trade…

CHA Gets: Kevin Huerter, Sasha Vezenkov, Chris Duarte, #45, & 2025 SAC 2nd
SAC Gets: Grant Williams, Cody Martin, & Aleksej Pokusevski

I also wanted to make this additional trade…

PHX Gets: Davion Mitchell & 2025 POR 2nd
SAC Gets: Nassir Little & #22

…but that trade obviously didn’t happen yesterday. I’d still be looking to trade Davion Mitchell for a future asset (late 1st/early 2nd) this offseason to cash in on his strong finish to the season last year.

I’d have to choose Grant Williams since I’m on record for saying that my ideal offseason was to draft Carter at #13 and make the following trade…

…but that trade obviously didn’t happen yesterday. I’d still be looking to trade Davion Mitchell for a future asset (late 1st/early 2nd) this offseason to cash in on his strong finish to the season last year.
An amazing outcome today would be flipping Davion for one of these upcoming picks. I reaaaaally like Filipowski, Furphy and Ingram this late

Last edited:

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't see any scenario where a package made up of Mitchell, Barnes, and/or Huerter bring back an actual star level player unless the Kings are also attaching 3 or 4 future FRPs, something that (a) is complicated by the pick protections on the FRP we owe Atlanta and (b) not something I really want to see in most cases since it really mortgages the future of a small market team that traditionally HAS to build through the draft.

But what I CAN see is trading those guys (either packaged or individually) for roughly equal value talents that better balance the roster.

I've mentioned this idea a few times, but Portland now has a glut of centers and doesn't seem to have a role for Matisse going forward. So what about Barnes (or Huerter) and Duarte for Williams and Thybulle?

I think that's what the Kings should be looking at. I wouldn't mind a big swing on the right guy depending on the cost (how much does Utah want for Markkannen - is that feasible) but otherwise take some smaller swings on guys that aren't as costly but fit better with the core of the roster.

An amazing outcome today would be flipping Davion for one of these upcoming picks. I reaaaaally like Filipowski, Furphy and Ingram this late
I’m not really high on any of those guys in particular but the general idea is right. I’d be more interested in taking a flyer on…

Chomche
T. Smith
Klintman
McCullar
J. Bridges
Freeman

…but I feel like at least one of those guys will be available at #45 so perhaps I lean more towards trading Mitchell for a future pick.

I don't see any scenario where a package made up of Mitchell, Barnes, and/or Huerter bring back an actual star level player unless the Kings are also attaching 3 or 4 future FRPs, something that (a) is complicated by the pick protections on the FRP we owe Atlanta and (b) not something I really want to see in most cases since it really mortgages the future of a small market team that traditionally HAS to build through the draft.

But what I CAN see is trading those guys (either packaged or individually) for roughly equal value talents that better balance the roster.

I've mentioned this idea a few times, but Portland now has a glut of centers and doesn't seem to have a role for Matisse going forward. So what about Barnes (or Huerter) and Duarte for Williams and Thybulle?

I think that's what the Kings should be looking at. I wouldn't mind a big swing on the right guy depending on the cost (how much does Utah want for Markkannen - is that feasible) but otherwise take some smaller swings on guys that aren't as costly but fit better with the core of the roster.
They could throw Twin Murray in their too. I Agree on your approach. I think Orlando and Indiana are 2 teams that we should be looking at as well to balance rosters.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Here’s a spitballing thought to the Davion trade….. Domas has had conversations with Jonas V he’s going to sign with Sacramento with the space created. Maybe that’s Monte’s step 2 and why the dumping of assets.
Get ready for bully ball and POA defenders. Probably
Honestly almost would have worked for the TWolves were KAT not a puss

This was obviously posted earlier but with landing Carter, I think a Grant Williams becomes much more favorable since the Kings talent gap might've closed significantly on draft night. Carter could easily be a 3-4th option type along with Keegan.

. I would love to have Thybulle and Williams in the Kings. I don’t really see a way to get Markkannen with who Monty appears to be shopping but one can dream right?

But as an under the cap team, we can take back more salary than we send out so theoretically we could do a sign and trade for Hartenstein at a bigger cap number than the MLE. Not that I’d necessarily advocate that option lol
The Kings aren't under the cap, just under the tax or did I miss something? haha. I think the Kings are waaay over the cap. Can the Knicks do that though? They just roasted themselves on that OG deal didn't they?

If the org truly does think that Domas is a 4, then JV makes sense and is BPA at that price. Honestly don’t know if this would work but JV, Domas, Carter, Keon would punish opposing teams
In FIBA ball Val/Sabonis has been a disaster but I don't know NBA is a different game at first my reaction is no way it will work but than again I rather try something like that than go back to Barnes/Sabonis.

This was obviously posted earlier but with landing Carter, I think a Grant Williams becomes much more favorable since the Kings talent gap might've closed significantly on draft night. Carter could easily be a 3-4th option type along with Keegan.
The other thing to keep in mind is how adding two “Dawgs” in Grant Williams and Devin Carter impacts the toughness of this team. Talk about a culture change!