Potential Free agent/trade/sign tracker

See, that's the disconnect here. The Kings payroll as it is projected out to 2026 doesn't have them on it at all, nor the picks and it's at around 220.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/sacramento-kings/cap/_/year/2026/sort/cap_total
You’re right. That is the disconnect.

The clarification is that you’re counting the cap holds for Barnes, Huerter, and Vezenkov into that $220 mil. That’s $68.7 mil across those 3 players when they were making $44 mil the previous year. So if those players are traded for a player(s) that makes a similar amount as their 2025-26 amount (but expires 1 year later), it will be around the $44 mil amount (not the $68.7 mil amount) which then gives McNair the opportunity to make that “big” trade in the 2026 off-season without those tax apron restrictions kicking in.

Again, McNair is not backed up against the wall. :)

You’re right. That is the disconnect.

The clarification is that you’re counting the cap holds for Barnes, Huerter, and Vezenkov into that $220 mil. That’s $68.7 mil across those 3 players when they were making $44 mil the previous year. So if those players are traded for a player(s) that makes a similar amount as their 2025-26 amount (but expires 1 year later), it will be around the $44 mil amount (not the $68.7 mil amount) which then gives McNair the opportunity to make that “big” trade in the 2026 off-season without those tax apron restrictions kicking in.

Again, McNair is not backed up against the wall. :)
It's not counting picks, exception holds, and in that case again, where are they going? My point is if you don't fill that salary slot, as you said with someone like Grant, then you are letting them go bye bye or re-signing them. I've never said the Kings were a surefire 2nd apron team if they let players walk, but the issue is letting players walk or not even adding any pieces from now to then for the long term. At this point I don't see the point. You're over the cap and once done nearing the luxury tax on an incomplete roster.

It's not counting picks, exception holds, and in that case again, where are they going? My point is if you don't fill that salary slot, as you said with someone like Grant, then you are letting them go bye bye or re-signing them. I've never said the Kings were a surefire 2nd apron team if they let players walk, but the issue is letting players walk or not even adding any pieces from now to then for the long term. At this point I don't see the point. You're over the cap and once done nearing the luxury tax on an incomplete roster.
Well that’s where that MLE comes into play as well, yeah? ;)

And of course the picks aren’t included yet but you have to keep in mind that we likely won’t have a 2025 1st. There will be some additional contracts along the way but looking at the big, core contracts we will have, I’m not too concerned with approaching those tax aprons prior to us making a big trade.

Well that’s where that MLE comes into play as well, yeah? ;)

And of course the picks aren’t included yet but you have to keep in mind that we likely won’t have a 2025 1st. There will be some additional contracts along the way but looking at the big, core contracts we will have, I’m not too concerned with approaching those tax aprons prior to us making a big trade.
Again, backing into the wall more though haha, probably can't replace a Huerter or Barnes, let along both with that and it's taking up some of that wiggle room IF you have it. Very unlikely to fill the void left. Possible, but yet another gamble on the wait plan. Besides this might all be moot in another number of minutes. :p

Again, backing into the wall more though haha, probably can't replace a Huerter or Barnes, let along both with that. Very unlikely. Possible, but yet another gamble on the wait plan. Besides this might all be moot in another number of minutes. :p
Why is it very unlikely that someone would trade for a couple of expiring contracts while only having to give up a 2 year contract?

No, I consider that condensing and upgrading. In your scenario you have none of them.
Sure, I do.

We either…
  • Trade Barnes/Huerter/Vezenkov for a big piece during the 2024 offseason
  • Trade Barnes/Huerter/Vezenkov for a big piece during the 2025 offseason
  • Trade Barnes/Huerter/Vezenkov for a 2 year contract during the 2025 off-season or at the 2025-26 deadline, and then trade that future expiring for a big piece during the 2026 offseason
That’s the definition of “condensing and upgrading” ;)

Sure, I do.

We either…
  • Trade Barnes/Huerter/Vezenkov for a big piece during the 2024 offseason
  • Trade Barnes/Huerter/Vezenkov for a big piece during the 2025 offseason
  • Trade Barnes/Huerter/Vezenkov for a 2 year contract during the 2025 off-season or at the 2025-26 deadline, and then trade that future expiring for a big piece during the 2026 offseason
That’s the definition of “condensing and upgrading” ;)
Maybe, depending on what's available. Again, what if there isn't a deal to be had? Backing, further, further... corner. hahaha. More time, the better. That's my point.

Maybe, depending on what's available. Again, what if there isn't a deal to be had? Backing, further, further... corner. hahaha. More time, the better. That's my point.
I think the sweet spot is next off-season. That gives us the extra data points on Murray and Ellis to have a better idea of who we should target in that big trade. The 2026-27 off-season is a last resort but I needed to explain that it’s still an option which technically gives McNair 3 off-seasons to find that trade…thus he’s not backed into a corner. ;)

I think the sweet spot is next off-season. That gives us the extra data points on Murray and Ellis to have a better idea of who we should target in that big trade. The 2026-27 off-season is a last resort but I needed to explain that it’s still an option which technically gives McNair 3 off-seasons to find that trade…thus he’s not backed into a corner. ;)
It's not, it's heading that direction though.

If you don't think Monte is watching for strategic ways to improve the team, I don't know what to tell you. They are definitely not sitting on their hands thinking what we have is "championship caliber". But they also aren't going to just blow it up or make rash moves, either. If the moves aren't there to improve the team, you don't panic. You also can't make moves in a vacuum. It takes two to tango, and like we've seen recently, some trades are heavily influenced by the players themselves (Pascal, for instance). You can't blame him for not landing that one when the player was the one who nixed it.
Its not that i dont think he is looking, i think he may be too cautious to make bold decisions and close the deal. Lets be honest about his one big deal. Although we all are happy with sabonis, the general view of him in the league before coming to Sacramento was negative while Tyrese was viewed with far more positivity. Indiana likely thought they swindled Monte just like the rest of the league. But when it comes to other big deals, he hasnt been able to close. Not for OG or Siakam (if reports are to be believed, Siakam was slightly badmouthed by someone in our front office which caused him to scuttle the deal, so no i dont blame monte entirely). But at some point you have to make some move happen to keep the confidence in your capabilities.

Now there is one big caveat, which is we dont know how much influence Vivek is wielding in these decisions, how much is he restraining monte, but i think ultimately it falls on monte to instill the confidence in his ability and then go make the deal actually happen.

I have to believe we had a few trades depending on who was available at 13.
But with Carter sitting there the temptation to keep the pick was to great to pass up.
we may have to sweeten the offers for a trade now but I like how it’s gone so far.
I didn't even know the Kings worked him out. I think once Carter was there, there wasn't any chance of trading that pick. When that lottery promise talk came out a few weeks ago I remember someone, can't remember exactly, but one of the "in the know" mock guys casually stated that was probably the Kings.

I have to believe we had a few trades depending on who was available at 13.
But with Carter sitting there the temptation to keep the pick was to great to pass up.
we may have to sweeten the offers for a trade now but I like how it’s gone so far.
With carter expected to make around $4M and Keon making $2.1, and Malik just resigning (or soon to resign), Davion ($6M) unfortunately is the odd man out, and huerter too. I like both but dont see much role for davion moving forward.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
So real quick before I call it a day, after round one of the draft here's where I have the depth chart:

5 D. FOX (6'3") 1 35min | 0 M. MONK (6'3") 1/2 26min
23 K. ELLIS (6'5") 2/3 24min | 22 DEVIN CARTER (6'3") 1/2/3 22min
13 K. MURRAY (6'8") 3/4 35min | ???
???
| 41 T. LYLES (6'10") 4/5 10min
11 D. SABONIS (6'11") 4/5 35min | ???

The following players are likely all available for trade:

15 DAVION MITCHELL (6'1") 1 $6.5m (Expiring)
20 COLBY JONES (6'6") 2/3 $2.1m (2 years + Team Option)
3 CHRIS DUARTE (6'6") 2/3 $5.9m (Expiring)
9 KEVIN HUERTER (6'7") 2/3 $16.8m (2 years)
40 HARRISON BARNES (6'8") 3/4 $18m (2 years)
7 SASHA VEZENKOV (6'9") 4 $6.7m (1 year + Team Option)

That's $56 million in salary we can potentially get back in trade. Priorities are: (1) A starting PF (or SF if we're willing to slide Keegan over to PF) (2) A backup SF (3) A backup C

If Monte does pick a player (or players) in the second round tomorrow, they likely won't go straight onto the depth chart as most second round picks start their careers in the G-League.

Wasn't there a comment made somewhere today that the Kings may view Domas' ideal position as PF not C? Could that be a hint of a possible off-season plan? As of today the Kings have no other centers under contract for next season (unless you count Lyles who is more of a PF who can swing to C than a full-time pivotman). We've heard many times that Clint Capela is available. The Knicks appear to have priced themselves out on Hartenstein (though he would have to be a sign and trade for us to get him). Portland taking Clingan at #7 appears to have put DeAndre Ayton back on the trade block. Also, Valanciunas is a free agent and New Orleans just drafted a center. Maybe the Kings will find a way to pair Domas with his countryman? This all seems like a longshot but if they do go big at the C position, that solves our backup C and starting PF woes in one fell swoop (since Domas would likely slide over to cover the backup C minutes).

If the Kings truly look at Domas as a 4 with the Blazers drafting Clingon that could leave Ayton available..... Huerter/Barnes matches his salary./contract length....just saying. For all Aytons faults giving up only Huerter/Barnes (probably Davion as well) is basically giving up nothing to get a All-Star potential....

Reath from Portland looks like a decent fit for the Kings only making like 2mil per season

So with us keeping #13 and drafting Carter, I’m assuming we’re going to be using the following players/assets to dangle in a trade…
  • Davion Mitchell
  • Chris Duarte
  • Colby Jones
  • Kevin Huerter
  • Harrison Barnes
  • Sasha Vezenkov
  • Future 2nds

…which means we’re probably targeting guys like…
  1. DeAndre Hunter
  2. Dorian Finney-Smith
  3. Cam Johnson
  4. Grant Williams
  5. Dean Wade
  6. Isaiah Stewart
  7. Andrew Wiggins
  8. Bobby Portis
  9. Wendell Carter Jr. (I think Isaac would cost more than those assets)
  10. John Collins
Which of those 10 players would be your preference at this point?

If we don't trade for a consolidate starter PF I would give Jalen Smith a chance. Him and Goga Bitadze would be perfect adquisitions in the FA market.

How much $ should we lost in trades to be able to have the Full MLE?

Maybe now that Orlando drafted Tristan Da Silva can be opened to trade Isaac?