Potential Free agent/trade/sign tracker

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Watch the cap, that's where they are "up against it". As is they are a tax team without even the use of their MLE this offseason. In two years, likely an apron team. It will be way harder to make moves then. I'd say we'll see, but hopefully we don't. All I can say is look at yet another team like the Knicks. They are making their steps now, not when Brunson, Randle, or whoever is making 45 million a year instead of 25. Once that salary goes up, making a move like the Bridges one isn't even a possibility any longer.
Again, all I can do is direct you to the plan I already posted for some insight on the direction I would like the team to go. I don't think it will come as a surprise that my ideal trade /draft / free agency targets are all defenders. I am what I am. My basketball philosophy hasn't changed much in the last 20 years. But I agree with you that this is the right time to go all-in on grabbing some more key pieces to make a big playoff push and I'm willing to burn all of our major trade assets to get there. We're in agreement on the methodology, just not the specific player(s) needed to make that happen.

Again, all I can do is direct you to the plan I already posted for some insight on the direction I would like the team to go. I don't think it will come as a surprise that my ideal trade /draft / free agency targets are all defenders. I am what I am. My basketball philosophy hasn't changed much in the last 20 years. But I agree with you that this is the right time to go all-in on grabbing some more key pieces to make a big playoff push and I'm willing to burn all of our major trade assets to get there. We're in agreement on the methodology, just not the specific player(s) needed to make that happen.
And I can see reasons for all of it and working down a list in a sense. As for defense, I get it. And I brought this up as the season wound down too. The Kings went from like bottom 5 on defense to the top at the end. All that time I was looking at the 10 game outlooks and even posting them in real time. While the teams entire identity changed, their average of about .500 ball with a difference of a win or two in those outlooks did not. Now, that's not to say next season wouldn't be different and that adding more defenders wouldn't make a difference, however, the results were fairly consistent. While not the end all, those results might give credence to the idea that the Kings simply fixing their defense wasn't enough. I mean, the variance was insane. Like 28th in a stretch to 1st. That might be saying it was a little more than just defense.

Well looks like NYK jusy got scary. . Traded for Mikhal Bridges (4 FRP). AND are hoping to still sign OG. If they can it will be

Brunson/mcbride/milton
OG/Divechenzo
Bridges/Hart
Randle/Hart/Sims
Robinson/Sims

Heavy firepower with very good perimeter defense and rim protection. They could be monsters in the east and would be my favorite to win everything.

Sorry to say but these are the types of bold and daring moves that actually make the teams better that im starting to think monte doesnt have the stomach for. We got ouflanked by so many teams willing to give more up much more of the future to be better now. Thd opposite has always been the calling card of this team. Wants to be solid now and in the future so too afraid to make moves. Gets caught flat footed and gets passed by teams will to swing for the fences. What happens if you are perennially bad? You dont attract other players willing to come play for you. Teams which are bold get the players and get better. If they resign OG, they will likely have

Hope monte finds his big boy pants. With this, Hartentein may be available so try to swing a S/T with NY. Go big and throw 3 picks at Utah and hope to get Markannen or throw 2 at Portland for Grant. You NEED to make moves to set up for now and frankly let the future worry about itself. If you can put a strong team together now, more moves will open up to ensure your future, but gotta worry about competing today. Otherwise the foundation to do something in the future wont be laid.

Either you are win now, all in ready to leverage your future assets, OR you need to thrownin the towel sell off everything and reset (but be ready to suck for a few years).

Last edited:

hrdboild

Staff member
And I can see reasons for all of it and working down a list in a sense. As for defense, I get it. And I brought this up as the season wound down too. The Kings went from like bottom 5 on defense to the top at the end. All that time I was looking at the 10 game outlooks and even posting them in real time. While the teams entire identity changed, their average of about .500 ball with a difference of a win or two in those outlooks did not. Now, that's not to say next season wouldn't be different and that adding more defenders wouldn't make a difference, however, the results were fairly consistent. While not the end all, those results might give credence to the idea that the Kings simply fixing their defense wasn't enough. I mean, the variance was insane. Like 28th in a stretch to 1st. That might be saying it was a little more than just defense.
Well, they also lost Huerter and Monk at the end of the season -- that represents a big chunk of the offense. And just looking at the wins and losses doesn't tell the whole story as the team was up big early on in a number of those games which turned into losses. They couldn't hold a lead playing without 2 major pieces of the rotation. So in addition to the goal of sustaining that defensive improvement into next season, what I think we learned from the post All-Star break slide which doomed our post-season is that we need more depth, we need more than 1 bench scorer, and we need a physical presence (on both ends of the court) to stop the bleeding when our 3-ball heavy offense is firing blanks.

Well, they also lost Huerter and Monk at the end of the season -- that represents a big chunk of the offense. And just looking at the wins and losses doesn't tell the whole story as the team was up big early on in a number of those games which turned into losses. They couldn't hold a lead playing without 2 major pieces of the rotation. So in addition to the goal of sustaining that defensive improvement into next season, what I think we learned from the post All-Star break slide which doomed our post-season is that we need more depth, we need more than 1 bench scorer, and we need a physical presence (on both ends of the court) to stop the bleeding when our 3-ball heavy offense is firing blanks.
Does that make the Kings a contender? That's what Monte is trying to do. With where the Kings are at unfortunately it is kind of like a game of trading up a paper clip to the sports car. All I can say is once you start finalizing your roster with fit role guys and it doesn't work, moving up for talent is going to be very difficult. Finding defensive players is possible with picks and exceptions. Keon being a perfect example of that. All star talent is either home grown or traded for for the most part.

hrdboild

Staff member
Does that make the Kings a contender? That's what Monte is trying to do. With where the Kings are at unfortunately it is kind of like a game of trading up a paper clip to the sports car. All I can say is once you start finalizing your roster with fit role guys and it doesn't work, moving up for talent is going to be very difficult. Finding defensive players is possible with picks and exceptions. Keon being a perfect example of that. All star talent is either home grown or traded for for the most part.
I love Keon Ellis. I'm thrilled we have Keon Ellis. In 30 years of following this team I can't think of a second undrafted or second round player who seized a starting spot for the Kings on the basis of their defensive production. Can you? In actual practice, elite defenders (not just guys who are a tick above league average) have proven to be just as hard for this team to find as All Stars.

You may not have noticed, but I do also have the Kings trading for an All Star -- Dejounte Murray is both an All-Defense winner and an All-Star and he's 27 years old and signed for the next 4 years for a very reasonable $25-$30 million per year. Why would Atlanta trade him then? Beats me, but he's been in trade rumors all year.

I love Keon Ellis. I'm thrilled we have Keon Ellis. In 30 years of following this team I can't think of a second undrafted or second round player who seized a starting spot for the Kings on the basis of their defensive production. Can you? In actual practice, elite defenders (not just guys who are a tick above league average) have proven to be just as hard for this team to find as All Stars.

You may not have noticed, but I do also have the Kings trading for an All Star -- Dejounte Murray is both an All-Defense winner and an All-Star and he's 27 years old and signed for the next 4 years for a very reasonable $25-$30 million per year. Why would Atlanta trade him then? Beats me, but he's been in trade rumors all year.
I wouldn't mind Murray, but I think they're actually looking for value. Maybe not who knows. I wouldn't mind it. He is an All start talent, I have no problem with that. It's these talks of moving 13 for a player like DFS, or even Williams that are iffy. If Keegan for sure looked like a star last season and the Kings weren't as far outside the top 5 teams maybe, but there looks to be too much ground to make up unless those types of improvements are all you've got. If Williams or DFS are it, consider it, but down the list IMO.

Last edited:
Well looks like NYK jusy got scary. . Traded for Mikhal Bridges (4 FRP). AND are hoping to still sign OG. If they can it will be

Brunson/mcbride/milton
OG/Divechenzo
Bridges/Hart
Randle/Hart/Sims
Robinson/Sims

Heavy firepower with very good perimeter defense and rim protection. They could be monsters in the east and would be my favorite to win everything.

Sorry to say but these are the types of bold and daring moves that actually make the teams better that im starting to think monte doesnt have the stomach for. We got ouflanked by so many teams willing to give more up much more of the future to be better now. Thd opposite has always been the calling card of this team. Wants to be solid now and in the future so too afraid to make moves. Gets caught flat footed and gets passed by teams will to swing for the fences. What happens if you are perennially bad? You dont attract other players willing to come play for you. Teams which are bold get the players and get better. If they resign OG, they will likely have

Hope monte finds his big boy pants. With this, Hartentein may be available so try to swing a S/T with NY. Go big and throw 3 picks at Utah and hope to get Markannen or throw 2 at Portland for Grant. You NEED to make moves to set up for now and frankly let the future worry about itself. If you can put a strong team together now, more moves will open up to ensure your future, but gotta worry about competing today. Otherwise the foundation to do something in the future wont be laid.

Either you are win now, all in ready to leverage your future assets, OR you need to thrownin the towel sell off everything and reset (but be ready to suck for a few years).
Monte might not have the assets. While Huerter wasn't a terrible pick up, Monte leveraged a future pick at the worst time possible. New rule, leveraging picks better come with a big talent payoff, not pure fit. Talent and fit? Let 'em fly haha.

And once these new deals start coming in? 232 for OG? LaVine's deal won't look so bad and only goes for 3 years.
I still wouldn't think Lavine is where you spend your assets. He is is an OLD 29.and likely on the backside of his career, one in which henhas been more injured than healthy. Played ONLY 25 games last year AND makes 45M. Is he a good player? Of course, but he has a huge injury problem AND its not gonna get easier as he ages. Bridges is one of the healthiest and most available players in the game. Is 2 years younger making 20M less than levine on a long term contract and with similar production offensively and a FAR FAR better defender. If anything i think this shows dont be desperate chasing the shiny object, but go get the best player (Lavine is not that).

You want to throw money/assets at an upgrade, get Markannen, get Grant, get Portis, get throw everything at getting Paul George, get Dejuante Murray, or BI. All will give you an improved talent pool,but it wont just be in street clothes on your bench. It will be on the court.

I still wouldn't think Lavine is where you spend your assets. He is is an OLD 29.and likely on the backside of his career, one in which henhas been more injured than healthy. Played ONLY 25 games last year AND makes 45M. Is he a good player? Of course, but he has a huge injury problem AND its not gonna get easier as he ages. Bridges is one of the healthiest and most available players in the game. Is 2 years younger making 20M less than levine on a long term contract and with similar production offensively and a FAR FAR better defender. If anything i think this shows dont be desperate chasing the shiny object, but go get the best player (Lavine is not that).

You want to throw money/assets at an upgrade, get Markannen, get Grant, get Portis, get throw everything at getting Paul George, get Dejuante Murray, or BI. All will give you an improved talent pool,but it wont just be in street clothes on your bench. It will be on the court.
Before last season LaVine was OK and there was enough talk about how they shut him down last year. He could have finished the season but there was no point. There's better options for sure, but once that well dries up, better find a bottle of water if need be.

Last edited:

the key is are we ready to give up 4 1st round picks or get lavine with 0 or maybe 1 pick?

It’s all about price.

We all should know that the team didn't work last year. If we were good enough, we wouldn't have ever been a fringe playoff team to begin with (injuries included). I do think this calls for major shakeups somewhere on the team. Swapping out Huerter for another mediocre NBA player isn't going to help. We tried doing that with Duarte last year.

People keep pointing to what the Celtics did.. but fail to mention that they traded for All-Star caliber players. Jrue was coming off an All-Star year averaging 19ppg and 7asts. Porzingis came in as a 20ppg scorer and continued as a 20ppg scorer.

We can't be scared to make moves unless you want to miss the playoffs again. You can't just count on the West getting old.

We all should know that the team didn't work last year. If we were good enough, we wouldn't have ever been a fringe playoff team to begin with (injuries included). I do think this calls for major shakeups somewhere on the team. Swapping out Huerter for another mediocre NBA player isn't going to help. We tried doing that with Duarte last year.

People keep pointing to what the Celtics did.. but fail to mention that they traded for All-Star caliber players. Jrue was coming off an All-Star year averaging 19ppg and 7asts. Porzingis came in as a 20ppg scorer and continued as a 20ppg scorer.

We can't be scared to make moves unless you want to miss the playoffs again. You can't just count on the West getting old.
Nope. And with the Thunder ready to start solidifying and the Spurs on the way, what comes next might cut off those top two contender slots for all of whatever run the Kings have left with Fox and co. With the new CBA getting to the top rung isn't the problem, it's attempting to re-tool after the fact. The only shot would be **** canning seasons to create future cap and one last chance while getting lucky in the draft like the Sixers right now. Watch them close because Embiid might be ending up on a team in the West as well should they fail to land anyone of note.

I think he's a bit better than you give him credit for, you have to dissect what shooting issues Randle has as it's not always about 3's alone. Is Keegan a better shooter than Randle? I would bet the quick answer is yes, but the reality is no believe it or not because it depends on the distance. Randles issues are the type of deep 25-29 foot shots where he hits only 27%. Keegan from that distance hits 36%. However, from 15-19 feet and 20-24 feet Randle shoots 44% and 39%. Keegan shoots 33% and 36%. In fact Randles mid range shooting from that distance is almost identical to Monks. And at least last season better than Fox as well who only shoots around 36% from both ranges.
With how fast and quick players are these days, midrange shooting isn’t really contributing to floor spacing all that much (unless you’re that lone C who can help a bit by hitting the midrange jumper but counting on multiple guys who are that level of a shooter to space the floor is a big concern). Randle may be a decent midrange shooter but the type of shooter he is won’t really take pressure off of Fox and Sabonis when they attack the paint/rim.

Last edited:
Watch the cap, that's where they are "up against it". As is they are a tax team without even the use of their MLE this offseason. In two years, likely an apron team. It will be way harder to make moves then. I'd say we'll see, but hopefully we don't. All I can say is look at yet another team like the Knicks. They are making their steps now, not when Brunson, Randle, or whoever is making 45 million a year instead of 25. Once that salary goes up, making a move like the Bridges one isn't even a possibility any longer.
I just don’t agree with this.

What prevents them from deciding to make a big move next year? Why does it have to be this year?

We’re not under the cap so it’s not like we’re saying that the Kings will only have usable cap space this year. We’re operating over the cap and will be for some time. Right now, we have three tradeable, biggish contracts to help us match salary (Barnes, Huerter, and Vezenkov) who can be used in a “big” trade this year or used as expiring contracts in a “big” trade next year.

From a roster construction standpoint, we know what we have in Fox, Sabonis, and Monk. They are (more or less) the players they are going to be. Murray and Ellis still have question marks. Is Murray going to top out as a great 3&D player or can he become a go-to scorer on top of that? Is Ellis’ shot for real? Can Ellis prove it over a longer sample size? Can Ellis be more than just a catch & shoot 3pt scorer?

This upcoming season I see as the season to answer those questions (or at least feel confident that we likely know the answers to those questions). That then should make it EXTREMELY clear to McNair what this team needs to be a contender because he will (more or less) know what he has in Fox, Monk, Ellis, Murray, and Sabonis.

This is why I proposed that trade for Grant Williams since it…
  • Gives us time to assess what we have in Murray and Ellis and have a much better idea what they will ultimately become
  • Allows us to keep #13 and/or all future 1sts to use in a big trade the following offseason
  • Maintains contracts that can be used to match a lot of salary in a trade the following offseason (Barnes, G. Williams, & C. Martin)
  • Improves our team for next year since Duarte and Vezenkov are not in the regular rotation and Huerter’s minutes are essentially shifted to Fox, Ellis, Mitchell, and Monk (which shouldn’t result in a drop off in production considering Ellis’ impact) but you upgrade the forward rotation to now be Murray, Williams, Barnes, & Lyles.
  • Helps us get under the 1st apron this year since this shaves off around $5 mil from our payroll.

I wouldn’t be surprised if fans aren’t super happy with that direction I laid out above because a lot of fans are mainly about instant gratification and want to see a big move for the sake of taking a big swing or “we have to do something!” mindset. However, that direction I laid out above makes a lot of sense when you think about building up this roster meticulously and thoughtfully with the goal of one day becoming a contender.

What prevents them from deciding to make a big move next year? Why does it have to be this year?

We’re not under the cap so it’s not like we’re saying that the Kings will only have usable cap space this year. We’re operating over the cap and will be for some time. Right now, we have three tradeable, biggish contracts to help us match salary (Barnes, Huerter, and Vezenkov) who can be used in a “big” trade this year or used as expiring contracts in a “big” trade next year.

From a roster construction standpoint, we know what we have in Fox, Sabonis, and Monk. They are (more or less) the players they are going to be. Murray and Ellis still have question marks. Is Murray going to top out as a great 3&D player or can he become a go-to scorer on top of that? Is Ellis’ shot for real? Can Ellis prove it over a longer sample size? Can Ellis be more than just a catch & shoot 3pt scorer?

This upcoming season I see as the season to answer those questions (or at least feel confident that we likely know the answers to those questions). That then should make it EXTREMELY clear to McNair what this team needs to be a contender because he will (more or less) know what he has in Fox, Monk, Ellis, Murray, and Sabonis.

• Gives us time to assess what we have in Murray and Ellis and have a much better idea what they will ultimately become
  • Allows us to keep #13 and/or all future 1sts to use in a big trade the following offseason
  • Maintains contracts that can be used to match a lot of salary in a trade the following offseason (Barnes, G. Williams, & C. Martin)
  • Improves our team for next year since Duarte and Vezenkov are not in the regular rotation and Huerter’s minutes are essentially shifted to Fox, Ellis, Mitchell, and Monk (which shouldn’t result in a drop off in production considering Ellis’ impact) but you upgrade the forward rotation to now be Murray, Williams, Barnes, & Lyles.
  • Helps us get under the 1st apron this year since this shaves off around $5 mil from our payroll.

I wouldn’t be surprised if fans aren’t super happy with that direction I laid out above because a lot of fans are mainly about instant gratification and want to see a big move for the sake of taking a big swing or “we have to do something!” mindset. However, that direction I laid out above makes a lot of sense when you think about building up this roster meticulously and thoughtfully with the goal of one day becoming a contender.
I think mostly it's the risk of players like Huerter and Barnes fading more. The Kings have too many bodies, not enough minutes. Anyone who thought all that stacking was going to work, wrong again. Sasha or Lyles. Not Sasha AND Lyles. Things that like always lead to someone getting pushed out. It's also a game of availability on the market. Monte has clearly been working down the list of available candidates over the last season and a half. Beal, OG, Siakam.... and many of the names that have been dangling for years are now off the board. The market could explode but this is a league where there are older players, and younger. There's not a lot in the middle. Getting the younger ones might not be an option without cap space, a majorly limiting thing for a team with where the Kings are at. And they aren't just over the cap, they are potentially over the luxury limit. That means no full MLE to add, then you get close to that apron.

I'm not against a deal like that. If Monte can't grab down the moon anything that helps is better than nothing.

I think mostly it's the risk of players like Huerter and Barnes fading more. The Kings have too many bodies, not enough minutes. Anyone who thought all that stacking was going to work, wrong again. Sasha or Lyles. Not Sasha AND Lyles. Things that like always lead to someone getting pushed out. It's also a game of availability on the market. Monte has clearly been working down the list of available candidates over the last season and a half. Beal, OG, Siakam.... and many of the names that have been dangling for years are now off the board. The market could explode but this is a league where there are older players, and younger. There's not a lot in the middle. Getting the younger ones might not be an option without cap space, a majorly limiting thing for a team with where the Kings are at. And they aren't just over the cap, they are potentially over the luxury limit. That means no full MLE to add, then you get close to that apron.

I'm not against a deal like that. If Monte can't grab down the moon anything that helps is better than nothing.
But that bolded part doesn’t make sense.

Huerter and Barnes are probably around neutral value at this point with 2 years remaining on their deals. How does them being expiring contracts the following year result in that value “fading more?” Their value today will be around what it is next year, if not better (e.g., if one or both have a really good year), but considering they will be expirings the next offseason, they will not be treated as albatross contracts in a trade (even if their play suffers even more this year).

It’s pretty clear that we can make a “big” trade either this offseason or next offseason, but I just wanted to put to bed that we “have to” make that type of move this offseason. We don’t.

Wanted to post here for a couple of reasons
First, I’m not a huge fan of Grant Williams and he’s mentioned as a target by many here. I get why but not crazy about him

secondly, I think what Sac is offering up, allegedly in potential trades, HB, Huerter, Sasha?, Davion?, etc has value in lower level deals and for some of the bigger swings
HB- value to a team pursuing the playoffs
Huerter…only 25 years old. Successful in the league already. Value to a rebuilding team where he can build up his value again
Sasha…kind of same as Huerter where a rebuilding team should take a flyer on him to see if he can blossom in this league
Davion…I think he’s got solid Value around the league. Has value to us with the way he played down the stretch.

All of these guys could bring a retooling of the roster in lower level deals while we save the draft picks for a big swing

But that bolded part doesn’t make sense.

Huerter and Barnes are probably around neutral value at this point with 2 years remaining on their deals. How does them being expiring contracts the following year result in that value “fading more?” Their value today will be around what it is next year, if not better (e.g., if one or both have a really good year), but considering they will be expirings the next offseason, they will not be treated as albatross contracts in a trade (even if their play suffers even more this year).

It’s pretty clear from my perspective that we can make a “big” trade either this offseason or next offseason, but I just wanted to put to bed that we “have to” make that type of move this offseason. We don’t.
All we know is that the Kings have been trying to trade them since the deadline, and even in the summer likely if the Beal stuff was legit. Did you pay attention to the deadline? Sounded like Monte got some cold shoulder stuff from teams when pitching them. It's about performance. Enough to where the Bulls did intel as to why Huerter was declining. They could always play better next year, but when does Davion play? What about the needs at the 3/4? Too much quantity.

And as for their contracts, it's the timing. Never said they were albatross contracts. The contracts are fair but once they fall off the books, the Kings are potentially super maxing Fox and maxing out Keegan. If they fall off an leave that doesn't really help the team. Next offseason is the last minute to make a move, yes, Monte could make a deal next summer, he's not totally stuck yet but the sooner the better because the market could shift and the options dangling could be moved elsewhere. If a deal doesn't happen, it doesn't happen, but last year showed why extreme pivoting back to the plan at hand can be a mistake in some ways when your roster has the look of needing to be condensed. Thankfully Monte didn't vastly overpay anyone though, that's the only reason why Barnes is probably remotely movable.

I also forgot the biggest reason I think Monte needs to strike now. If Monte waits until next summer to make his move, he's giving himself 1 shot of a season to see his new team before having to basically commit to being a 2nd apron team. Striking this summer and adjusting next offseason if need be is a much safer plan since he'll have a much better look with time to tweak. Once 2026 hits, it hits the fan cap wise.

Last edited:
All we know is that the Kings have been trying to trade them since the deadline, and even in the summer likely if the Beal stuff was legit. Did you pay attention to the deadline? Sounded like Monte got some cold shoulder stuff from teams when pitching them. It's about performance. Enough to where the Bulls did intel as to why Huerter was declining. They could always play better next year, but when does Davion play? What about the needs at the 3/4? Too much quantity.

And as for their contracts, it's the timing. Never said they were albatross contracts. The contracts are fair but once they fall off the books, the Kings are potentially super maxing Fox and maxing out Keegan. If they fall off an leave that doesn't really help the team. Next offseason is the last minute to make a move, yes, Monte could make a deal next summer, he's not totally stuck yet but the sooner the better because the market could shift and the options dangling could be moved elsewhere. If a deal doesn't happen, it doesn't happen, but last year showed why extreme pivoting back to the plan at hand can be a mistake in some ways when your roster has the look of needing to be condensed. Thankfully Monte didn't vastly overpay anyone though, that's the only reason why Barnes is probably remotely movable.
So the bolded part has been my point from the beginning. I’m glad we agree now! :)

McNair is not backed into a corner and doesn’t need to make a big move this offseason. Barnes, Huerter, and Vezenkov all have 2 years left on their deals and can be used to match incoming salary.

But I don’t necessarily agree with “the sooner, the better” because it gives us a chance to determine what we have in Murray and Ellis allowing McNair to really hone in on the player that is needed to catapult us into contender status.

I’ll even go as far as to say that McNair isn’t backed into a corner the following offseason either. If there isn’t a “big” trade that makes sense at that time, he can trade those expirings for someone on a 2 year deal (thus giving him another year to find that player we’re after).

McNair has flexibility and (if Vivek allows him) the time to find the right trade. He shouldn’t be trading from a point of desperation as I hope we’d both agree that’s how mistakes happen.

So the bolded part has been my point from the beginning. I’m glad we agree now! :)

McNair is not backed into a corner and doesn’t need to make a big move this offseason. Barnes, Huerter, and Vezenkov all have 2 years left on their deals and can be used to match incoming salary.

But I don’t necessarily agree with “the sooner, the better” because it gives us a chance to determine what we have in Murray and Ellis allowing McNair to really hone in on the player that is needed to catapult us into contender status.

I’ll even go as far as to say that McNair isn’t backed into a corner the following offseason either. If there isn’t a “big” trade that makes sense at that time, he can trade those expirings for someone on a 2 year deal (thus giving him another year to find that player we’re after).

McNair has flexibility and (if Vivek allows him) the time to find the right trade. He shouldn’t be trading from a point of desperation as I hope we’d both agree that’s how mistakes happen.

First off, I never said the Kings were stuck in 2025, haha. 2026. In 2025 they are stuck in the sense that any hope for cap space being a part of the equation is likely gone. 2026 is the year. I added this part after leaving it out. The issue is timing. Yes, Monte can make a move, but by that point, it's close to being desperation.

I also forgot the biggest reason I think Monte needs to strike now. If Monte waits until next summer to make his move, he's giving himself 1 shot of a season to see his new team before having to basically commit to being a 2nd apron team. Striking this summer and adjusting next offseason if need be is a much safer plan since he'll have a much better look with time to tweak. Once 2026 hits, it hits the fan cap wise.

Once and for all, that's my entire point. But, make no mistakes, while Monte isn't all the way backed into that corner yet, he's close to brushing up against it. He can feel it looming behind him. Or at least he should be. While getting to the 2nd apron for teams building at the time isn't an issue, Suns, Knicks, etc. getting out? It's going to be a *****. If you aren't a contender it could be Isiah Thomas level Knicks waiting that out depending on what goes down.

First off, I never said the Kings were stuck in 2025, haha. 2026. That's the year. I added this part after leaving it out. The issue is timing. Yes, Monte can make a move, but by that point, it's close to being desperation.

I also forgot the biggest reason I think Monte needs to strike now. If Monte waits until next summer to make his move, he's giving himself 1 shot of a season to see his new team before having to basically committing to being a 2nd apron team. Striking this summer and adjusting next offseason if need be is a much safer plan since he'll have a much better look with time to tweak. Once 2026 hits, it hits the fan cap wise.

Once and for all, that's my entire point. But, make no mistakes, while Monte isn't all the way backed into that corner yet, he's close to brushing up against it. He can feel it looming behind him. Or at least he should be.
I think you’re being a bit too rigid cap wise by projecting we’ll be in the 2nd apron. It doesn’t look like that’s the current trajectory even if we add a guy like Jerami Grant to this roster.

Now that’s definitely a possibility if you add someone like LaVine (not in favor of) or Markkanen (who will likely command a max salary the following offseason), but at least with Markkanen, it’s a much more calculated risk because he 1) is young enough to fit with our core, 2) fills a position of need (PF), and 3) is a good fit with our current core.

I think you’re being a bit too rigid cap wise by projecting we’ll be in the 2nd apron. It doesn’t look like that’s the current trajectory even if we add a guy like Jerami Grant to this roster.

Now that’s definitely a possibility if you add someone like LaVine (not in favor of) or Markkanen (who will likely command a max salary the following offseason), but at least with Markkanen, it’s a much more calculated risk because he 1) is young enough to fit with our core, 2) fills a position of need (PF), and 3) is a good fit with our current core.
Where are you getting your numbers from? A quick look at the cap sheet with the Kings cap holds in 2026 show the Kings at around 220 in committed money. So assuming you're replacing Huerter and Barnes with current salary, and super maxing Fox, which would exceed his cap hold (not sure if the cap hold is what counts against the cap), having to resign Ellis, whatever it takes to fill out the roster since they only have Malik and Domas guaranteed, adding first round picks, the Kings are going to be CLOSE if not over. Hopefully the new TV deal expands that out but that likely means the cost of signings go up anyway. That's not counting Monte signing any deals in the next 2 seasons beyond 2026 also. Again, the issue is adding guys like Grant once you're there. Yes, the time to add that is before then.

While I get your criticism about instant gratification, i think there is also another dynamic in making the big move today. There is a positive inertia in many respects to making the big moves which pay off. There is a certain dynamism in those front offices that are comfortable making the big moves, whether that is buying a bigtime asset or selling a bigtime asset to quickly retool. Front offices that follow the wait and see approaches rather than swinging for the fences tend to wallow in mediocrity which becomes ingrained in the culture. Look at us. We all knew after the previous season that we were good but not good enough and made ZERO moves (signing duarte is not a move). And we were passed by many teams. We should have swung when we knew we were on the rise. Now we are facing a hiccup and are flat footed on the market with are big attempted move being throwing a mediocre pick at a good but not exceptional player (Karuso) and failing to close the deal.

You look at teams like Boston, Dallas, Lakers who are constantly looking to make moves are able to retool quickly and have no qualms throwing big money or multiple picks for bigtime players. While NYK gave up 2 rising players for OG and then threw 5 picks and a swap to Brooklyn for Bridges and have, even without moving Randle, one of the scariest lineups in the NBA if they resign OG (and there is likely every indication they can unless someone throws crazy money at him). Boston has Juggernaut type talent and keep acquiring players. We perseverate over moving HB, Huerter or others.

We need bigtime move for bigtime players (who actually play - im not making a case for levine given his historic lack of availability due to poor health). Almost every player is available for the right price. No-one thought bridges would be available. But for a big haul he was. Monte needs to fully look at what it will take to get bigtime players, with only really 3 players not being moveable right now (Fox, sabonis and Murray). Monk cant be moved due to resigning rules. Everyone else is fair game for the right deal. Who are the players that would be game changers for us?

Could 2 picks get grant out of Portland? Does he move the needle (i think so, though others dont).

Could 3 get Markannen? (again i think he is that type of player that can change our team on both ends).

Would a future 1st and huerter be able to pry Isaac from Orlando?

Can we swing a S/T for PG13 for max equivalent money and 3-4 picks to LAC?

YES we owe a pick to ATL, but we have others out in the future to trade too (Brooklyn took picks out to 2028 and a swap) so its not like we need every pick to be available now.

And in the future when we feel we haven't crossed over into becoming a contender, wor we were a contender and may be fading, we start selling our bigtime players to retool our warchest of picks. Its how dynamic teams operate. Ask boston who literally had one down year between a championship caliber team and drafting Tatum and brown and being back in the playoffs, and soon in the championship picture again, to winning another chip. Because they sold off hall of fame players AND are constantly making moves (consistently one of the most active teams). How many playoffs have lakers missed? They are constantly active. Moves wont always work but they will work more than sitting still.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
We all knew after the previous season that we were good but not good enough and made ZERO moves (signing duarte is not a move).
Hold on, this is just a bit reductive. I'm not necessarily disagreeing with some of the other stuff, but come on.

At the midpoint of the season we held steady and everyone predicted our season would go downhill after other teams made trades. The opposite occurred; our winning percentage improved and we solidified ourselves as one of the best teams in the league at the end of 2023.

We were the #3 seed in the west and took the Warriors to a 7 game classic series in the first round only to be beaten in game 7 by an all-time performance by Curry. Our starting All-star center was playing with a broken hand all year and our starting All-star point guard got a broken hand partway through the series. On top of that, Dreymond got away with curb-stomping our center and he was (likely) playing injured the rest of the series.

If we had beaten the Warriors, in all likelihood we would have topped the Lakers as well given that Domas is undefeated against AD and we've had their number recently. Heck, we'd played well against Denver too and I think we would have given them more trouble than the Lakers (not saying we would be the favorites, but probably would have put up a stronger fight).

Our team had two all-stars, the unanimous coach of the year, executive of the year, clutch player of the year, etc. Against that backdrop, bringing back most of the team intact made a LOT of sense for a team that hadn't sniffed the playoffs in 1-1/2 DECADES.

We brought in Sasha and Duarte, with most praising the Sasha move as a low-risk bolster to our outside shooting variability and given his generally smart play on the floor as Euroleague MVP. There were other moves attempted by Monte but they fell through.

You don't make moves just to make moves.