NFL Playoffs 2011 (Discussion and Pick'em Game)

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Superbowl is set and ready for take off in two weeks. It should be a fun one, I am jealous of the Steelers though, it seems like they are ALWAYS in the Superbowl, I swear. Sigh.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
The Steelers are like vultures, they always manage to get in when the favorite goes down. Though as a Pats fan I can't be too bitter after we spoiled their 15-1 season the last time we won it all, sadly starting to feel like a distant memory.

I've been high on the Green Bay team for weeks now. I thought they would be the ones to beat the Pats if anybody did. After 3 straight road wins against a tough division rival, the NFC #1 seed and a team that had been everybody's darlings just weeks before you could argue that a neutral site game provides their most favorable matchup of the postseason.

Ahh finally. Thank you Steelers! The J-E-T-S are out, and I am happy.

I've been a Packers fan for a while. They have long been my NFC team, and its nice to see them back on top. This should be a tough game for both teams though. My heart says Packers, but my head says Steelers. As good as Rodgers has been, I HAVE seen him struggle. He couldnt get anything going in the second half today when the Bears D really started playing at a high level, and this Steelers D is fantastic.

How on earth did this POS Jets team beat the Colts let alone the Pats?
I honestly believe the jets built themselves up to beat the patriots yet are not good enough to win it all. They are like pests. Good enough to mess things up for one of the top teams but not good enough to beat any one else really. I just feel like they got lucky against the colts, had a great game plan to beat NE but faltered big time against the steelers. And it's what I've been saying all week.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
More than anything the Pats beat themselves with that stupid fake punt. But they were running gimmick plays on almost every possession. I really think they overcoached/outthunk themselves. Shane Graham's kickoffs also did them no favors - he was rock solid kicking FGs but its pretty easy to see why he was available as a midseason replacement - the field positioning all game was awful and largely boosted with poor kickoffs.

In both the last two games though I think the losing team killed themselves in the 2nd quarter but regained enough 2nd half momentum that they would have won both if they played an extra 5 minutes.

MKF if you are gonna knock Rodgers for struggling against the Bears in the 2nd half you have to acknowledge that the Steelers were even worse in the 2nd half against the Jets. Who weren't playing on home field. I think the key is going to come down to whether or not Mathews and Hawk can keep Big Ben in check.

More than anything the Pats beat themselves with that stupid fake punt. But they were running gimmick plays on almost every possession. I really think they overcoached/outthunk themselves. Shane Graham's kickoffs also did them no favors - he was rock solid kicking FGs but its pretty easy to see why he was available as a midseason replacement - the field positioning all game was awful and largely boosted with poor kickoffs.

In both the last two games though I think the losing team killed themselves in the 2nd quarter but regained enough 2nd half momentum that they would have won both if they played an extra 5 minutes.

MKF if you are gonna knock Rodgers for struggling against the Bears in the 2nd half you have to acknowledge that the Steelers were even worse in the 2nd half against the Jets. Who weren't playing on home field. I think the key is going to come down to whether or not Mathews and Hawk can keep Big Ben in check.
Thats a fair point, The second half of the Jets-Steelers game was kind of flukey though. Im not saying the Steelers D played great in the second half, but I thought they were OK. I mean, the first Jets TD was a wide open bomb that was only open because the CB fell down. Then the Steelers make that great Goal Line Stand, only to have the offense take a safety and give the Jets good field position again. It felt like the Steelers D was on the field for the entire second half. No time to really recover and go over things. Lets just say I thought the Steelers D played better than the Packers Offense in the second half of each game... what does that mean? Probly nothing.

Week 3 Scores

Week 3 winners:

Green Bay
Pittsburgh

And our overall scores (points for this week in parentheses):

16 (8) - PurpleHaze
16 (8) - Rockmeister
16 (8) - MassachusettsKingsFan
15 (8) - pdxKingsFan
15 (8) - SacKings7
13 (8) - Arkitect
9 (4) - est.1999
2 (0) - uolj

5 (-) - kingsboi
1 (-) - Superman
1 (-) - annihilator_33

Super Bowl Pick

Pittsburgh vs Green Bay
Sun, Feb 6 @ 3:30 PM (FOX)
Cowboys Stadium, Arlington, Texas

Eight (8) points for correctly guessing the winner. Two (2) points for guessing either team's score (even if your winner prediction is wrong). Eight (8) extra points for guessing the score exactly. (That means you get a total of 20 points for the exact score.)

Since we have such a high likelihood of a tie, I'm adding some tiebreakers. These will be applied in order if there is a tie after the above points are tallied, until there is no longer a tie:

1. Most pick 'em game points scored this week. (I.e. If one team comes from behind with a better prediction this week to tie another team, they would win.)
  2. Closest combined score to actual combined score of the two teams in the game.
  3. That's it... If there's still a tie then we have a tie. :p

I'm not sure if you care about the pick 'em game, but if you'd like you can give a score prediction to help with tiebreakers and such, since there are three of you all tied for first place.
Yea, I was wondering about that. Ok, let me give a score prediction.

Packers - 23
Steelers - 21

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Anyone here gonna watch the waste of time game called the ProBowl? Wow...for the first time I watched it last year and I am never going to again. Superbowl needs to get here already so we can start talking about draft prospects.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Don't watch the pro bowl, covered it in the past but I'll watch ANY football game and get something out of it, but not that one.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Caught the second half which was on at the bowling alley during league last night.

WHAT A JOKE.

That final touchdown was pretty cool though.