NFL Playoffs 2011 (Discussion and Pick'em Game)

Ok, so the wild card matchups are set for the first round of NFL playoffs. We usually have a pick'em contest for the playoffs so I'm starting that here.

The idea is to pick the winners of the NFL playoff games each week. A correct pick on wild card weekend gets you 1 point, 2 points for the divisional round, 4 points for a conference championship correct pick and 8 points for picking the Super Bowl winner. There will be bonus points and/or tiebreakers for the Super Bowl predictions.

No need to post the scores if you don't want to (but feel free to do so if you'd like). Only winners count for points in the game.

Things won't be too strict here but please post predictions before the games start and don't edit your post after the games start. Good Luck!

Wild Card Weekend (Round 1)

Correct winner prediction worth 1 point
(All times Pacific)

New Orleans at Seattle
Sat, Jan 8 @ 1:30 PM (NBC)

New York Jets at Indianapolis
Sat, Jan 8 @ 5:00 PM (NBC)

Baltimore at Kansas City
Sun, Jan 9 @ 10:00 AM (CBS)

Green Bay at Philadelphia
Sun, Jan 9 @ 1:30 PM (FOX)

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Still waffling on game 3.
Pretty sure I like NO, Indy and Green Bay for the others. Well, I don't actually particularly like any of them, but you know what I'm sayin. :)

I'll go with:

New Orleans 24 Seattle 16
Indy 20 NYJets 17
Baltimore 17 KC 13
Green Bay 24 Philly 20

Note: I'm most skittish about NYJ at Indy game and may switch my pick before game day. Nawlins losing RBs Thomas and Ivory for playoffs is not good. Down to Bush and unproven back they just signed. I had them on the road topping Hawks by 17 (10.5 line) but now I see it under - also Hasselbeck now ready to start at QB. Finally, back onto the Colts which means I have only one upset with GB over Philly.

Last edited:
New Orleans
Indy (although I hate both teams but will choose the Colts)
Baltimore
Green Bay (I hate Philly because of Vick. I am sure everyone here knows why)

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
So I guess we won't be discussing NFL playoffs in the "NFL Talk" thread anymore? This should of been merged I feel. There's a thread dedicated to the NFL in general, whether its regular season, post season and draft time.

So I guess we won't be discussing NFL playoffs in the "NFL Talk" thread anymore? This should of been merged I feel. There's a thread dedicated to the NFL in general, whether its regular season, post season and draft time.
I wasn't going to put the pick'em game in the main NFL talk thread. What has happened over the years is people end up discussing the playoffs in the pick'em game thread, which is why I said they can discuss it here. Besides, that thread has gotten big and we generally start a new thread for the offseason or next season. Heck, in the past we've had a new thread for each week of the playoffs.

No worries, though. If you want to discuss playoffs in the big thread, I'm sure that's fine. I just figured it would be easier to find here.

New Orleans at Seattle
Saints, 33-20

New York Jets at Indianapolis
Colts, 27-23

Baltimore at Kansas City
Ravens, 23-10

Green Bay at Philadelphia
Eagles, 24-21

That last one is the hardest one for me. I feel pretty good about the other three games, but that Packers/Eagles game is a toss up.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Nobody is giving KC a chance but they are 7-1 at home and Ed Reed reinjured his leg last week. Sure the Chiefs haven't beaten anybody but Baltimore seems to be riding a huge hype train of their own based largely on beating a much different New England team in the playoffs last year and taking them to overtime this season before many of their new key players had managed to establish themselves.

I'm still not ready to commit on this one but it has all the markings of a stunner.

Nobody is giving KC a chance but they are 7-1 at home and Ed Reed reinjured his leg last week. Sure the Chiefs haven't beaten anybody but Baltimore seems to be riding a huge hype train of their own based largely on beating a much different New England team in the playoffs last year and taking them to overtime this season before many of their new key players had managed to establish themselves.

I'm still not ready to commit on this one but it has all the markings of a stunner.
I don't think it's hype that I like the Ravens. I don't know what Reed's status is*, but that's still a great defense, and the Chiefs offense can bottleneck, even at home (13 points against the Bills, 10 against the Broncos, 10 against the Raiders). And the Ravens have a better offense than they've had in recent years, with more big play potential. Romeo Crennel might be the key to this game, but I'm still sold on the Ravens defense.

My playoff picks the last couple of years have been awful. Wouldn't surprise me one bit if the Chiefs win.

Edit: Reed will play, and it looks like it's his ribs, not his leg. So that's good for the Ravens defense.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I'm not questioning anybody's picks, I still give the Ravens a small edge but am not ready to commit. Merely observing that the Ravens are getting a lot of hype as the team that can beat the Pats in 2 weeks and so this game is largely being overlooked in favor of that potential matchup.

It is true that the Ravens added a lot of explosive offensive weapons but they have been pretty conservative using them, ranking 22nd in yardage (23rd passing) and 16th in points.

I'm not questioning anybody's picks, I still give the Ravens a small edge but am not ready to commit. Merely observing that the Ravens are getting a lot of hype as the team that can beat the Pats in 2 weeks and so this game is largely being overlooked in favor of that potential matchup.

It is true that the Ravens added a lot of explosive offensive weapons but they have been pretty conservative using them, ranking 22nd in yardage (23rd passing) and 16th in points.
I haven't watched too much pundit TV so far, so I don't know what kind of hype there is out there, but if I had to choose a team that could beat the Pats, it would be the Ravens. Don't know that that matters, but again, great defense, balanced offense, strong road team... all the makings. Doesn't mean it would happen. They have to beat the Chiefs first.

We have always discussed the post season in the Pick em game. Besides the NFL talk thread is getting tooooooooooooooo long.

I picked the Ravens because the Chief just haven't impressed me as being a playoff team. I could be wrong, but it should be a good game.

I also think there may be a stunner in KC but I'm not yet ready to pick an unproven team like the Chiefs to beat the Ravens.

Picks:

NO @ SEA The loss of Pierre Thomas may hurt them. I told my brother that they'd destroy the Seahawks and would easily cover the spread. He thought otherwise and maybe now with Thomas out it'll be a little harder for the Saints to blow then out. But I still think they'll win pretty easily. Saints 31 Seahawks 16

NYJ @ IND Man do I hate the Jets and their cockiness. Especially Ryan. And I'm not too fond of the Colts either but I'd still much rather see the Colts come out on top. And I think they will. Peyton at home? No brainer for me. Jets 17 Colts 27

Baltimore @ KC Like I said earlier, possible shocker here. But I'll still go with the Ravens. Ravens 23 Chiefs 16

GB @ PHI Woah, another tough choice. Vick's been a little sloppy with the ball lately and reverting back to old habits. Green Bay's defense is pretty stout and Rodgers can kill you when he's on. But Vick is just too dominant when on and I think he will be. I envision a good amount of scoring in this one. Packers 31 Eagles 35.

GB @ PHI Woah, another tough choice. Vick's been a little sloppy with the ball lately and reverting back to old habits. Green Bay's defense is pretty stout and Rodgers can kill you when he's on. But Vick is just too dominant when on and I think he will be. I envision a good amount of scoring in this one. Packers 31 Eagles 35.
Yeah, for me that one came down to the home team.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Part of why I am holding off my Chiefs-Ravens pick is because I want to see who is healthiest.

In the Eagles game, I think GB is just too good defensively for Vick, particularly when it comes to their smart LB crew that will probably beat the crap out of him. Plus I do believe the colder weather has been a huge factor in Vick's slump. If the weather forecast is sunny and warm I might think differently.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Seattle having a home game in the wildcard is BS but that's what happens when you win your division I guess. This game could go either way, the Seahawks don't have enough firepower to hang with the Saints so they might play good for a half and then that's it, if even.

KC has been struggling the last couple of weeks and they are facing Baltimore who is made for the playoffs. If they run into Pitt in the second round, that's where their run ends.

The toughest one to pick is the Philly and Green Bay game, I want to pick GB but I'm gonna have to go with Philly. Who ever wins, it won't be a surprise though.

Finally, I'm going with the Colts. It doesn't sound like the most smartest pick to go with based on with how limited the Colts are. But, it's Peyton so I just have to go with him in this one. If Jets keep Colts off the field, it's going to be a long day for the Colts.

Colts 21 Jets 14
Saints 35 Seahawks17
Chiefs 20 Ravens 17
Packers 27 Eagles 20

The ravens game is gonna be tough but I couldn't pick against the chiefs.....;)

I know they're the saints and they find ways to win, but i wouldnt want to be them today. They have lost alot of productive players from injury. On any given Sunday anyone can beat anyone, and going against a bunch of knuckleheads that don't have anything to lose will be scary.

And it all starts today! I'm looking forward to tomorrow's games moreso than todays, but I don't really know what to expect from the Jets-Colts game today. It should be a good one. Are the Colts the only AFC playoff team that plays in a dome? If so, I think that's a huge disadvantage, especially next week. Although if they don't make it to the Superbowl, I think it'll be because of their defense, not weather.

How does home field get decided in the other rounds? Is it by seed or by record?

Saints
Colts
Ravens
Packers

That Colts game is a tough one. I gave it to the home team. I would have picked the Jets if it was in NY for sure. For the Patriots sake I rather see the Jets win, but I have to go with my head and choose Manning.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Ok, I'm officially going with the Chiefs. The Ravens all practiced yesterday but no question the Chiefs are still the healthier team playing at home where they are very good. I just keep looking at the Ravens schedule for a signature win and I don't see it. Narrow wins against the Jets and Steelers early and a "moral victory" over the Pats that was actually a complete 2nd half choke. The highly touted receiving corps just hasn't integrated into the offense like it was expected. Meanwhile the Chiefs have one of the most efficient rushing attacks in history to go along with a QB who quietly put together a top notch season with over 3000 yards and a nearly 4:1 TD/INT ratio. I also got to add in the ex-Patriot factor and despite the fact that the Ravens are the trendy pick to upset the Pats the fact is that the Patriots have owned the Ravens in the BB era, losing only once in 10 years (last year's playoff game against the Welkerless Pats) so I think Weiss, Crennel, Cassel, Vrabel and crew will be ready. Ultimately I think the Chiefs can put up 20 at home and manage to hold the Ravens below that.

So Saints, Colts, Chiefs, Packers it is.