NFL Playoffs 2011 (Discussion and Pick'em Game)

Those who are picking GB, what's your reasoning for picking them? I don't think they can run the ball, and they rely way too heavily on rodgers to make plays with his feet and his arm. Their defense is stout but the steelers will still find a way to be somewhat balanced on offense and will control the tempo.

Those who are picking GB, what's your reasoning for picking them? I don't think they can run the ball, and they rely way too heavily on rodgers to make plays with his feet and his arm. Their defense is stout but the steelers will still find a way to be somewhat balanced on offense and will control the tempo.
I like Aaron Rodgers and he's from CA. I HATE the Steelers and can't stand Ben Roethisberger. I

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I am picking Green Bay but haven't decided on the score. One, I think Big Ben is dumb as a box or rocks and I think Green Bay's linebackers will figure out how to contain him - the mistake most people make is instead of hitting the stuffing out of him and bringing him down they go for a swipe of the ball because he always hangs it out there. I have read online that GB coaches have actually spent the last two weeks going over proper procedure for bringing Ben down instead of getting baited into giving him the mobility he needs.

Secondly the Patriots proved that you could pass all day on the Steelers and I think Rodgers may be the best QB outside of Brady, Manning and Brees (and maybe Rivers). Certainly smarter than Ben.

Lastly I just haven't ever truly been impressed by the Steelers of this era. I've said it before and I've taken heat for it here and elsewhere but in my book they have one truly impressive win during their run - 2006 at Indy. The rest of the time they have managed to sidestep top seeds who were upset by weaker teams in the weeks leading up to their matchups, including the SB against Arizona which I honestly think was handed to them on a silver platter at the end of the first half by Kurt Warner's moment of idiocy.

Totally agree with you PDX, but we're also talking about an unproven packers team as well. And one thing I disagree with is the ability the steelers have to running the ball where as the packers are very subpar in that dept. The steelers don't have to heavily rely on big Ben as much as gb has to rely on Rodgers.

And rockmeister, I was asking for an actual football reason as in ability of the two teams. Not who you want and why.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I don't think its a given that the Steelers can run like crazy all over Green Bay. Yes, they do have a better running game than Green Bay on paper but their line isn't exactly all NFL caliber either.

I can only say this - I came away from the Packers - Patriots game so impressed by Green Bay that I predicted a super bowl rematch and was scared as all heck about the Pats having to face them with a healthy Rodgers. So I may be colored by that impression but thus far the Pack has proven me right and continued to impress the rest of the way. But right now the only way I see the Steelers winning is if Rodgers gets knocked out. And that ain't out of the realm of possibilities, but it would be a damn shame.

I agree GB running game is suspect. However, the rookie Starks has been able to have some decent ground games after their RB core was decimated with injury. I expect Rodgers will spread 4 and 5 wide receivers for much of the game and he's also a running threat when needed. If I'm not mistaken #12 was Packs leading rusher this season and 2nd in NFL for QBs behind only Vick. New Orleans won SB last year over Indy with likewise mediocre running game - but MVP Brees more than made up for it. Saints D was big too - who can forget that pick six TD to clinch it. I think Pittsburg and Green Bay both have great defenses with not much seperation. Even D coordinators, LeBeau for Pitt and Capers for GB are equal in my eye - both great! Intangibles that might make the difference are kicking game, special teams, and the two head coaches call playing. McCarthy is a great call player and underrated coach. I think SB experience is a factor but not enough to swing it in Steelers favor, IMO. Plus, I don't see Pittsburgh running all that effectively against Pack D, even if Steeler D shuts down GB ground game. For me it comes down to the fact that Aaron Rodgers is coming into this game on playoff fire (like Brees last year) and baring getting KOed (although luckily have good back-up QB) or some critical game changing turnover - Pack wins!

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
A big congratulations to the Packers. Well deserved win and I am very happy for them and their fans, loyal to the fullest and one of the best fans in the NFL. I can't believe the Packers got away with barely running the ball, they threw and threw and Pit couldn't do a thing about it.

Final Scores

Super Bowl:

Green Bay 31
Pittsburgh 25

And our overall scores (points for Super Bowl in parentheses):

25 (10) - SacKings7 GB 31-20
24 (8) - PurpleHaze GB 27-24
24 (8) - Rockmeister GB 23-21
24 (8) - MassachusettsKingsFan GB 20-17
23 (8) - pdxKingsFan GB 27-17
21 (8) - Arkitect GB 21-17
9 (0) - est.1999 P 26-20
5 (0) - kingsboi P
2 (-) - uolj
0 (0) vistacruza_kings P 27-24

Congratulations to SacKings7 who came from behind to win by a single point by not only correctly picking the Packers (as it appeared all the front runners did) but by also correctly predicting that they would score 31 points.