Monta

Monta Ellis (POLL NEW)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Look, none of us want Monta, but here's some thoughts:

1. Jimmer and Hayes make about $8 millions combined. If the Kings swap those two for Monta for around $8-9 million and under four years, that's acceptable. Not ideal, but acceptable. And there's no argument that Monta > Jimmer + Hayes in terms of talent on paper (fit and ballhogness not withstanding).

2. Another sign that this team is trying to win now. Which is a good thing right?

3. Another sign that they're trying to clean house. Which definitely is a good thing. Next up, Salmons, Outlaw, and maybe Thornton (I'm ok with keeping MT, but...)

4. If Monta arrives, MT is probably gone, hopefully for a SF.

5. It'll be tough to find a taker for Jimmer + Hayes. So there's still a good chance that the Monta signing doesn't happen; or the Kings give up a good asset (a pick?) in order to move them, which would be bad.

6. If PDA is able to move Jimmer + Hayes without having to tag on other asset in order to move them and without taking back garbage, he'd be a genius and deserve to sign whoever the hell he wants.

Last edited:
http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/60995/free-agency-reports-chasing-guards

A lot of this sounds like agents trying to drum up interest in their clients.

HOWEVER.

If we were to dump Chuck and Jimmer + have a deal for a SF lined up for Thornton + Not pay Monta anything over $7-$8mil+ plan to use him as 6th man as a pretty nice upgrade over Thornton. THEN I could get at least understand this signing

That's a hell of a lot of "If's" though. And honestly, anything less than the above would make this a tragically horrible mistake. EVEN then, I still woudn't want Monta. He goes against everything I believe a basketball player should be
I like you a lot more when I agree with you :p

Look, none of us want Monta, but here's some thoughts:

1. Jimmer and Hayes make about $8 millions combined. If the Kings swap those two for Monta for around $8-9 million and under four years, that's acceptable. Not ideal, but acceptable. And there's no argument that Monta > Jimmer + Hayes in terms of talent on paper (fit and ballhogness not withstanding).

2. Another sign that this team is trying to win now. Which is a good thing right?

3. Another sign that they're trying to clean house. Which definitely is a good thing. Next up, Salmons, Outlaw, and maybe Thornton (I'm ok with keeping MT, but...)

4. If Monta arrives, MT is probably gone, hopefully for a SF.

5. It'll be tough to find a taker for Jimmer + Hayes. So there's still a good chance that the Monta signing doesn't happen; or the Kings give up a good asset (a pick?) in order to move them, which would be bad.

6. If PDA is able to move Jimmer + Hayes without having to tag on other asset in order to move them and without taking back garbage, he'd be a genius and deserve to sign whoever the hell he wants.
Question: would you rather take guaranteed first round playoffs with no hope of advancing for next 5 years after which re-tooling necessary again or would you rather put up with 2 more years of growing pain and become a team that is able to fight for at least WCFs in 5 years?

As much as people want to blame PDA, Monta Ellis is really Vivek's guy. It was already rumored long before PDA came onboard.

As smart as Vivek is with software and sales, he is not as smart with building a basketball team as he thinks. Most of these moves made by the FO seems to have Vivek's influence all over it.

If the FO really offers Ellis a contract similar to what they let Tyreke go for, then we probably would've been better to keep GP on. GP would've known that Tyreke>Monta.

Question: would you rather take guaranteed first round playoffs with no hope of advancing for next 5 years after which re-tooling necessary again or would you rather put up with 2 more years of growing pain and become a team that is able to fight for at least WCFs in 5 years?
were pretty much becoming bucks west based on eating up our cap space and not having much of roster to show for it.

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine 21m

Alternative scenario starting to circulate has Hawks & Bucks talking sign-and-trade -- Jennings for Teague -- with Monta winding up in SAC

I saw that, but it says nothing about Hayes and Thornton, just that Ellis might end up here after they do a sign and trade. We're not in their sign and trade, we have the cap space to sign him if we want.
This is the best deal that Sacramento can do. I heard this a while back that Sacramento was interested in him. I posted it and many people laughed. Now everything seems to be coming around. If you want to win, you have to spend money. Monte Ellis is a leader and he can score. The problem with him is that he is 6'3. But when you look at everything, you want to change the image of the Sacramento Kings, this is how you do it. I would personally trade Cousins too. Start new!

Ellis comes in as leader of the clubhouse and starts getting into the face of Cousins when he goes crazy.

PG-Vasquez
SG-Ellis
SF-???
PF-JT
C-Cousins

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
This is the best deal that Sacramento can do. I heard this a while back that Sacramento was interested in him. I posted it and many people laughed. Now everything seems to be coming around. If you want to win, you have to spend money. Monte Ellis is a leader and he can score. The problem with him is that he is 6'3. But when you look at everything, you want to change the image of the Sacramento Kings, this is how you do it. I would personally trade Cousins too. Start new!

Ellis comes in as leader of the clubhouse and starts getting into the face of Cousins when he goes crazy.

PG-Vasquez
SG-Ellis
SF-???
PF-JT
C-Cousins
Help.

PG-Vasquez
SG-Ellis
SF-???
PF-JT
C-Cousins
People laughed because they were under the assumption that the new management were not a bunch of monkeys. Rumors like these are dreadfully frightening. Wonder how Mike Malone feels about all this.

PG-Vasquez
SG-Ellis
SF-???
PF-JT
C-Cousins
Monta, is that you?

Not a Monta fan. Unless this contract is around $5 mil per it's a waste.

Especially after reading

5. Andrei Kirilenko, SF, Minnesota Timberwolves

Kirilenko might have a tough time making anything close to the $10.2 million player option he turned down to enter free agency. His ideal scenario is Sacramento using the amnesty provision on Salmons and using that cap space on a long-term contract. Kirilenko could also get a lucrative one-year offer from Cleveland, which would allow the Cavaliers to save their cap space for next summer while competing for the playoffs now. Failing that, Kirilenko is likely looking at mid-level offers.

Likely destination: Sacramento

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/freeagents-130707/nba-top-10-remaining-free-agents-2013

Let us all hold hands over the net and pray that Ellis does NOT become a King. Some of y'all thought Evans was a black hole. Wait until you see Ellis! Ellis will singlehandedly make the Greivis signing/trade look bad by taking all of his assist opportunities by holding the ball.

I really dont think any of these guys, vivek, malone, pda etc watched this group last year and saw that with a legit SF and shotblocker and a coach who could sub right/play a full size lineup we could have realistically won 15-20 more games while still being pretty young, instead we add older, more dead wieght untradable salary, break up a potential all star core that never got a proper chance, to build a middle of the road at absolute best team that will have no excitement or petential and will enter another 3-4 years at minimum rebuild, after all of the effort to keep this team in town this is such a huge letdown, i dont even know if we need to watch the games to know how bad this is going to be.

I don't think those two scenario are mutually exclusive. The Kings can make the playoff, get eliminated in the 1st round, and find ways to keep improving after that elimination. From here on out, this franchise will go as far as Cousins will take them. Everyone else from Greivis to JT are just surrounding pieces that can be used or moved.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Well IF the Monta want's 12 mill stories are true, the solution would be to amnesty Salmons to make cap space. So the starting line up (baring further trades) would be:
PG: Vasquez
SG: Monta
SF: Outlaw (48 min per)
PF: Debateable, Logically it would be JT, but hey why not showcase Landry?
C: Cousins

Talent depth chart after Ellis - and minus Jimmer and Hayes

Vasquez - Thomas - McCollum
Ellis - Thornton - McLemore
Salmons - Outlaw
Thompson - Landry - Patterson
Cousins

It just doesn't add up. 1 center, 3 ideally backup 4's, and 3 guys at SG that you could make a case as starters.

Salmons - Outlaw
Cousins

It just doesn't add up. 1 center, 3 ideally backup 4's, and 3 guys at SG that you could make a case as starters.
Use your imagination man!

If Landry is a PF at 6'6" then why can't Greivis be too?

PG: Thomas
SG: Ellis
SF: McLemore
PF: Vasquez
C: (until he chokes out somebody at center court) Cousins

Running, passing, shooting - all the things PDA promised!

Salmons - Outlaw
Cousins

This is exactly the proof that they wont be done. This will probably be a long offseason and the quite possibly the only holdover from last year could be Cousins, which would be a huge statement going forward

Just as a random side note - is anyone else surprised by how much info leaks from the new front office. Say what you want about Geoff, but the vast majority of his trades and acquisitions came as a complete surprise. In this new regime every move has been completely telegraphed. Obviously part of it is the arrival of social media but even still, there appear to be some loose lips in Kings land.

Just as a random side note - is anyone else surprised by how much info leaks from the new front office. Say what you want about Geoff, but the vast majority of his trades and acquisitions came as a complete surprise. In this new regime every move has been completely telegraphed. Obviously part of it is the arrival of social media but even still, there appear to be some loose lips in Kings land.
You are right. I was listening to the ESPN radio last week and they were just talking about leaks and trade rumors. It only gets out there if someone involved talks. If your FO really don't want to leak what you are thinking, most of the time it can be avoid.

Love for Landry was well hushed secret

Yeah I was actually thinking about that. Both the Evans situation and now this Monta thing leaked way before they actually happened. However, McLemore and Landry were a surprise.

Status
Not open for further replies.