Monta

Monta Ellis (POLL NEW)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
You know what REALLY scares me? We're trying to trade Hayes and Jimmer to the Cavs. Who currently has our first round protected pick? The Cavs. I bet they would take on some salary if we lowered that protection to say...top 3.

:( :( :(

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I added a poll and kept it very simple. I voted "Undecided" for the simple reason I am trying desperately to believe there is some kind of grand master-plan in the works, something that I cannot see because it's four steps ahead. I do not like the appearance that we're dredging up Warrior castoffs. I do not like the idea that there are more leaks coming out of the front office - intentionally or not - than a sieve. I especially do not like feeling once again the same mixture of dread and resigned discontent that I experienced over the past few years.

I'm incredibly glad we have a team to even talk about but would sure like to see one acquisition in this off-season that is easily understood and accepted by the majority of KF fans. I think we're a pretty astute lot, for the most part, and look to some of our best BB minds to explain some of this stuff. I have faith but I'd sure like to see more. I'd love to see AK-47 in a Kings uniform next season, but Monta Ellis? No...

Since this makes no basketball or chemistry sense, it would only make sense if there was some type of financial/cap incentives, and how would there be if Ellis is a FA and no one has to take our bad contracts? Something like this could set us back 5-7 years and prove we have management that will make us long for Petrie. You either want to be rebuilding with young talent, flexibility and high draft picks or you want to be good, not stuck in the nether like Milwaukee for example which is what these mediocre vets will put us at

You know what REALLY scares me? We're trying to trade Hayes and Jimmer to the Cavs. Who currently has our first round protected pick? The Cavs. I bet they would take on some salary if we lowered that protection to say...top 3.

:( :( :(
I would argue that Hickson trade has been the most detrimental move made in the last 3 years(at least until this summer). The lack of a first round pick to package has absolutely killed out ability to trade with anyone for most of the last 2 years.

dunno, McLemore, to me, came out of left field. there were rumblings on draft day, but no indications of interest in him before. the Tyreke situation was determined by the Pelicans making the offer, so it wasn't really possible to be hush about it. Landry was an absolute shock. first word of Calderon being a person of interest was him saying no. I actually think they've been pretty secretive so far, as all the players were there was reported interest like Shabazz, McCollum or Iggy never materialised (I've got my own theories about that Iggy thing, but whatever). edit: obvious "HELL NO!" on Ellis. still refuse to take that seriously until it happens. should it happen it might very well be grounds for divorce.
It was reported that we met with him prior and made our pitch

I would argue that Hickson trade has been the most detrimental move made in the last 3 years(at least until this summer). The lack of a first round pick to package has absolutely killed out ability to trade with anyone for most of the last 2 years.
the positive side is that it may have protected us from ourselves.

It was reported that we met with him prior and made our pitch
was that reported before or after he had said no? I just remember us trading for Vasquez and in the aftermath finding out that there had apparently been interest in Calderon as well. could be wrong, of course.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
was that reported before or after he had said no? I just remember us trading for Vasquez and in the aftermath finding out that there had apparently been interest in Calderon as well. could be wrong, of course.
But the point is that we're hearing about ALL of the potential moves. Not signings, not trades, but attempts.

Back to Monta Ellis.

I can honestly say I'd be less upset if the Kings were "aggressively" clearing cap room for a run at Andrew Bynum. As awful an idea as that would be, going after Ellis is worse.

The only thing interesting about this is that we don't have the cap space to sign him outright. Wonder who would be heading out the door. Jimmer and Hayes were mention but why would the Bucks take Hayes in a sign and trade?

I added a poll and kept it very simple. I voted "Undecided" for the simple reason I am trying desperately to believe there is some kind of grand master-plan in the works, something that I cannot see because it's four steps ahead. I do not like the appearance that we're dredging up Warrior castoffs. I do not like the idea that there are more leaks coming out of the front office - intentionally or not - than a sieve. I especially do not like feeling once again the same mixture of dread and resigned discontent that I experienced over the past few years.

I'm incredibly glad we have a team to even talk about but would sure like to see one acquisition in this off-season that is easily understood and accepted by the majority of KF fans. I think we're a pretty astute lot, for the most part, and look to some of our best BB minds to explain some of this stuff. I have faith but I'd sure like to see more. I'd love to see AK-47 in a Kings uniform next season, but Monta Ellis? No...
indeed. if, hypothetically, you re-sign tyreke evans and proceed to follow-up that move by managing to sign andre iguodala or, at the very least, signing a guy like matt barnes, then you've just done something that makes sense. you've brought in additional ball handling and passing to complement a backcourt that would feature evans and ben mclemore. those are successive moves that help to balance the roster, and even some among tyreke's biggest detractors at kf.com readily admitted that bringing evans back to play PG could work with the proper follow-up signing, or with the right kind of trade. their assertion: if you re-sign evans at 4/$44 million, then you need to follow it up smartly. i can appreciate that perspective, because it's certainly one that i think we all shared before it was determined that evans would be traded...

however, it seems telling to me that, since the evans sign-and-trade was announced, just about no one at kf.com has been able to make sense of a succession of moves that brought first grievis vasquez to the kings, then carl landry in a return to sacramento on an expensive long-term deal, and now monta ellis in a proposed signing on an expensive long-term deal (one that may very well pay out more than the contract evans received from new orleans). there is absolutely zero basketball logic in that succession of moves, given the kings' very particular needs. i suppose there exists the possibility to score in a big trade by packaging one or more of these new players with one or more of the kings' existing players. but that sure seems like a long shot, doesn't it, that the master plan is to stock pile mid-level to low-level assets in the hope that they might bring back something truly valuable to the team? i dunno what to make of it. i just know that i don't like it. not one bit. i remain disappointed as a kings fan, and even flat-out embarrassed. i sure hope that the new regime is able to change my mind before the season begins...

Why have we heard NOTHING about the Kings' FO showing some interest in Kirilenko ??? SO much better team player than Monta, SO much better an overall player, and he's actually a SMALL FORWARD !!

indeed. if, hypothetically, you re-sign tyreke evans and proceed to follow-up that move by managing to sign andre iguodala or, at the very least, signing a guy like matt barnes, then you've just done something that makes sense.
It's obvious that the new regime doesn't think that highly of Tyreke. Just flat out didn't want to move forward with him.

From a holistic point of view, it makes sense to get a wing scorer to partner with your big time post player. Now, whether that wing scorer should be Monta is of course, up for debate. But it's obvious that the new FO doesn't think Tyreke is that wing player who can compliment Cousins.

I dont really understand what out front office is doing. Its like they are compiling assets that dont mix so we have bad season by accident, or maybe not by accident. Giving us tradable assets and a decent daft pick for 2014.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's obvious that the new regime doesn't think that highly of Tyreke. Just flat out didn't want him to move forward with him.

From a holistic point of view, it makes sense to get a wing scorer to partner with your big time post player. Now, whether that wing scorer should be Monta is of course, up for debate. But it's obvious that the new FO doesn't think Tyreke is that wing player who can compliment Cousins.
i wasn't speaking to the views of the new FO. my point was that the oft-discussed scenario of moving tyreke to PG alongside ben mclemore and a defensive SF who could handle and pass made basketball sense, particularly on the defensive side of the ball, where the kings need the most improvement. however, given this particular team's shortcomings, valuing non-defensive personnel like grievis vasquez and monta ellis does not make basketball sense, particularly when the "wing scorer to partner with your big time post player" happens to be a chucker with an affinity for taking awful shots. if people thought tyreke evans' use of the shot clock was poor, wait until you see ellis fire off three-pointers (at a 32% clip) with 20 seconds left on the shot clock...

personally, i don't give a **** if the FO didn't think that highly of tyreke. i still maintain that, if you don't value him, you trade him down the road on your terms. they could have done better than vasquez and 2nd rounders. the fact that they're even considering monta ellis tells me just how desperate the front office is to make a splash, no matter how foolish it may be...

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
the fact that they're even considering monta ellis tells me just how desperate the front office is to make a splash, no matter how foolish it may be...
Well, some splashes occur in a pool. Others in porcelain containers. You decide which way we've gone thus far. ;)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Looks like even Dave is scratching his head over this one:

Carmichael Dave ‏@CarmichaelDave 8h

I'll say this- if the Monta Ellis rumors turn out true.....yeesh. That would be curious. Verrrry curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.