Monta

Monta Ellis (POLL NEW)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Only bring this up because rumors continue to pop up.

I really don't see how this works at all. If there's truth to it the only way I see it working is if PDA/Malone are intrigued by a Reke/Monta backcourt and moving Thornton. If it's Monta instead of Reke I really don't like it at all, as not even considering the offensive side where Monta is one of the most inefficient jump shooters out there, defensively unless we acquire a top defensive PG as well as a good defensive SF, which we don't have, we won't be stopping anyone.

Monta Ellis is certain to be courted by several teams during free agency, but there are more and more NBA officials who expect him to end up in Sacramento.
In an attempt to see some positives here if true, a Reke/Monta backcourt, with a defensive SF who can spread the floor along with a defensive role player at PF next to Cuz, I could see it potentially having some positives if roles are defined and a structured offensive system is put in place. Going off the type of player it appears PDA/Malone would value a

Reke
Monta
Leonard
Faried
Cuz

type roster would have some real potential, and no we won't get Leonard/Faried, but if that's the type of player we rounded out the rest of the lineup with, I would on board and wouldn't mind giving it a chance. But any type of more offensive player at the 3 or the 4 and any less defense and I don't see it working.

Last edited:
I saw this too along with the PDA article where it mentioned he was instrumental in the gs monta signing. If they really think replacing Evans at 10-12 million with Ellis at the same or higher deal is a good move, I'm worried. But like you mentioned it could kind of work if we made the right complimentary moves. Just seems like there would be easier, far more efficient ways to do this. I will say Ellis has only played with small, defensively challenged backcourt mates so it would be interesting to see him with a big counterpart where they could better hide him on defense and create other offensive mismatches.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Not thinking this is true... I am getting nervous about our intentions when it comes to resigning Tyreke however.
I'm not so sure this is about Reke, or that it's Monta instead of Reke.

I think there's a decent likelihood PDA/Malone want to put the ball back in Reke's hands as a PG(to the dismay of some). Malone knows what Reke can do. I don't think he forgot the talent Reke displayed when beating out Curry for ROY. He worked with Lebron, and while Reke isn't Lebron he's probably aware that type of player isn't as good off the ball. And Malone knows the difference Jackson made with Curry, giving him the ball, pumping him full of confidence and allowing him to play to his strengths after the disaster which was Smart.

And if Malone really believe in defense, which it appears he does, putting Reke at point next to Monta makes much more sense than Monta next to any of our other guards and it's much tougher in reality to get a PG who can defend like Reke. He's already shown he can do it, unlike a yet to be acquired PG on the free agent market or a draft pick.

It just doesn't make much sense to me to preach defense, then swap out a guy like Reke for a guy like Monta and put him next to a smaller and less defensive PG than what Reke has shown he can be. All speculation though.

Last edited:
Don't think we could afford both, even if we Amnesty Salmons. Monta and Reke are both looking at likely 10+mil contracts.
Me neither. Either/both will command 10+ a year, so realistically the only way to get both and sign our draft picks is to deal someone like Hayes, JT, or MT for a lesser-priced player or pick while Amnestying Salmons. That's a lot of hope and moving parts, and kind of ambitious for a new FO less than a month into the job.

I am not doubting their aptitude, I am just saying, that's quite a task. More realistic may be signing one and then making a draft day deal to move down while getting another player. We'll see. I think we're helping Monta drive his price while serving as a smokescreen for 'Reke.

if there's one impression that I've gotten from the franchise since Vivek has taken over, it's that they like smoke screens. we've had bajillions of names associated with the gm search, Chris Wallace supposedly had all but sewn up the job, yet in the end D'Alessandro got the job and my suspicion is that his actual main competition was Schlenk, not Wallace. Monta Ellis would be the FA search Wallace and Shabazz fulfills that role for the draft. distractions for the media and the fans to wring their hands over and that only make very little sense, while a more sensible target is acquired. goes well with the underpromise, overdeliver strategy that pretty much seems to be Vivek's thing. I'll start worrying about Ellis once he's actually received an offer, not before.

Looking at Monta's stats on 82games the Bucks fared much better with him at the point last season playing next to Reddick than they did with Jennings in the game and Monta at SG. Monta also played significantly better at pg than sg as his 21.1 per vs 14.4 shows. Maybe the Kings are envisioning a Monta/Snell backcourt, lol?!? No telling... pretty sure it's all a smokescreen like jalfa said above.

Me neither. Either/both will command 10+ a year, so realistically the only way to get both and sign our draft picks is to deal someone like Hayes, JT, or MT for a lesser-priced player or pick while Amnestying Salmons. That's a lot of hope and moving parts, and kind of ambitious for a new FO less than a month into the job.

I am not doubting their aptitude, I am just saying, that's quite a task. More realistic may be signing one and then making a draft day deal to move down while getting another player. We'll see. I think we're helping Monta drive his price while serving as a smokescreen for 'Reke.
It'll def be a one or the other type of situation, especially with $8mil tied into Thornton. You're not going to sink potentially 30+ million into 3 SG's who are all guys who need ball-dominance to be effective

We'll have to wait and see on this, but signing Ellis to an expensive long-term contract doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

He's a low-efficiency volume scorer with a noticeably declining FG%, a notably poor defender, and comes with long-term durability concerns (wear and tear of a 27 year old playing NBA basketball since HS graduation).

Would he be an upgrade over Thornton? Absolutely - he's an upgrade in talent and passing ability. But both players are better suited as third guard sparkplugs off the bench, where their defensive liabilities can be mitigated a bit...plus I'm also concerned about Ellis's long-term durability as well as his willingness to not be the #1 guy on the team.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I can't see a scenario where the team retains Evans AND signs Ellis but we'll see.

If we are getting Monta in lieu of Tyreke I'll be upset.
I don't see how its possible to resign Tyreke, and then sign Monta and stay under the cap. Even if we were to amnesty Salmons, I don't think we'd have enough room. I don't hate Monta, but he is a very inefficient shooter. He's not the first player that leaps into my mind when I think of freeagents I would like to sign.

I do think there's going to be some serious housecleaning. Maybe they can't move everyone they want this year, but in the next two years, I think the entire look of this team is going to be much different. D'Alessandro said in an interview today in the Bee, that when he looked at this team from Denver, he thought there was no way it would make the playoffs. It had two very good talents in Tyreke and Cousins, but it had a lot of ill fitting parts. That it was a team that didn't share the ball. He implied that it was going to change.

I don't see how its possible to resign Tyreke, and then sign Monta and stay under the cap. Even if we were to amnesty Salmons, I don't think we'd have enough room. I don't hate Monta, but he is a very inefficient shooter. He's not the first player that leaps into my mind when I think of freeagents I would like to sign.

I do think there's going to be some serious housecleaning. Maybe they can't move everyone they want this year, but in the next two years, I think the entire look of this team is going to be much different. D'Alessandro said in an interview today in the Bee, that when he looked at this team from Denver, he thought there was no way it would make the playoffs. It had two very good talents in Tyreke and Cousins, but it had a lot of ill fitting parts. That it was a team that didn't share the ball. He implied that it was going to change.
I love the sound of that! Especially the Cousins and Tyreke part. I honestly think we have 2 foundation pieces in place and some genuinely nice trade chips in place that will allow us to address our needs going forward. I am hoping that we are super active with trades going forward, starting with the draft night.

The only way I would not hate signing Monta is if every team stays away like he's the plague, and the Kings get him for dirt cheap.

So in other words, there is no way I would support signing him.

The only way I would not hate signing Monta is if every team stays away like he's the plague, and the Kings get him for dirt cheap.

So in other words, there is no way I would support signing him.
This or we ship Thornton somewhere for SF/PF and let Monta take what MT is paid with. That's 8M maxed to 9M.

I'm not saying I really like Ellis, but in case he comes here for less money (coz that's the only way I would like it) we won't be as useless as K9.
Ellis' mid range game could really help this team.
He may be a ball hog. But he doesn't really take a lot of time to create a shot.

This or we ship Thornton somewhere for SF/PF and let Monta take what MT is paid with. That's 8M maxed to 9M.

I'm not saying I really like Ellis, but in case he comes here for less money (coz that's the only way I would like it) we won't be as useless as K9.
Ellis' mid range game could really help this team.
He may be a ball hog. But he doesn't really take a lot of time to create a shot.
I've said it before, but the only way Monta is a good fit is if he is next to Tyreke. Even then, that is an awful lot of salary tied up in two scoring guards, which has not been a winning formula in NBA history. If we are going for an expensive volume shooter, why not try to trade for Rudy Gay, who at least has size and fills a position of need.

I've said it before, but the only way Monta is a good fit is if he is next to Tyreke. Even then, that is an awful lot of salary tied up in two scoring guards, which has not been a winning formula in NBA history. If we are going for an expensive volume shooter, why not try to trade for Rudy Gay, who at least has size and fills a position of need.
Gay's contract is much worse, he's going to get almost 18 million next year and more then 19 the year after. I like him as a player, but I would never touch that contract. Ellis could make a little sense if we trade MT and he signs for more or less the same money (8, 8.5/yr). Since I believe he wants more, and considering I don't really like him, it's a big no for me. I'd rather have Korver than Monta. Much cheaper and he brings everything we need at the SF spot.

No Monta please.. Terrible idea... He's the Kind of talent that will NOT win you games. His stats look good but he suffers from Iverson syndrome. Warriors replaced him with a lesser individual talent and win a LOT more games. He's too ball dominant and it wouldn't work next to Reke let alone IT.

No Monta please.. Terrible idea... He's the Kind of talent that will NOT win you games. His stats look good but he suffers from Iverson syndrome. Warriors replaced him with a lesser individual talent and win a LOT more games. He's too ball dominant and it wouldn't work next to Reke let alone IT.
No Monta, I agree. But I disagree with the lesser individual talent idea. They decided to find someone who fit with THE superior talent in Steph Curry. It was about Steph Curry and building around him. Here in Sacramento, I'll be furious if they decide to go forward with IT as the player they build around. It would be ridiculous.

No Monta, I agree. But I disagree with the lesser individual talent idea. They decided to find someone who fit with THE superior talent in Steph Curry. It was about Steph Curry and building around him. Here in Sacramento, I'll be furious if they decide to go forward with IT as the player they build around. It would be ridiculous.
OH hell no. IT is a bench player (sparkplug change of pace guard).

I kind of disagree that it was all about Curry. But it was MOSTLY about him. They also knew what they had in Klay and the year prior he showed how well he could play in the confines of the offense. They figured if they move Ellis (who didn't play well with Curry) and moved Klay up to the starting job it would do wonders for the offensive flow (which of course it did).

Kind of how we got rid of Williamson and moved Peja to starting SF. It did wonders then for our offensive flow at the time to have a guy like Peja who could spread the floor. Not to mention we had another guy like Hedo coming in as well.

EDIT: moved Peja to starting SF not SF lol

Last edited:
umm, I'm pretty sure it was also partly about acquiring Bogut to be the defensive anchor and rebounder that could hold the fort down. when he's playing, he's pretty much invaluable to the team, especially next to a sieve like Lee. their playoff run wouldn't have worked half as well without him.

umm, I'm pretty sure it was also partly about acquiring Bogut to be the defensive anchor and rebounder that could hold the fort down. when he's playing, he's pretty much invaluable to the team, especially next to a sieve like Lee. their playoff run wouldn't have worked half as well without him.
Yes and no. You did see how much Bogut played this year, and how he really didn't play like they thought he could play until the playoffs, right? I don't think he was a difference maker in the reg season.

Yes and no. You did see how much Bogut played this year, and how he really didn't play like they thought he could play until the playoffs, right? I don't think he was a difference maker in the reg season.
the intent still was for him to be the player he was in the playoffs, maybe even more. it was a gamble, everybody knew about his history with injuries, but the vision was clearly for him to be a factor. how it ended up shaking out is somewhat irrelevant to this discussion.

So with the recent events, how long until we begin hearing Monta Ellis rumors again? He has been mentioned a few times as being linked to us, once before new management took over, and again after Malone was hired. Just a gut feeling here, and obviously some of the backcourt would have to be thinned out before it could happen, but there may still be something happening with Monta.

Seems like with the lack of attention Monta is getting in free agency, the FO may be looking at him as a much cheaper alternative to what they were going to be faced with with Tyreke. If your planning on bringing him in, it would make sense to want a big pg beside him, and he would fit in a 3 man backcourt rotation being able to play with both Vasquez and McLemore.

Just a thought, since he's been in the background for a while. Use our other backcourt guys along with one of our bigs for a SF, and regain a little of what the team is losing with Tyreke leaving with Ellis on a much cheaper contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.