Monta

Monta Ellis (POLL NEW)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Moving forward, Kings do need another scorer in the starting lineup, and IF Pete'D views Monta as a scoring PG (like Westbrook, Parker) then this sorta' makes a little sense.
Hey, somebody agree's with me for once:

New Hawks coach Mike Budenholzer was a longtime assistant in San Antonio and he views Ellis as a point guard in the mold of Tony Parker, according to a source.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
As soon as Monta goes to the media outright lying over our offer I suspect they would pull it
Sources close to Capt. Factorial say that Ellis' camp considers the Kings to be in the lead for Monta's services due to the lucrative 4 year, 82 Kajillion dollar contract they have offered. Monta's camp is not accidentally dropping this number to in any way influence the Atlanta front office's bid, the sources added.

David Aldridge ‏@daldridgetnt 2m

Monta Ellis deciding between Atlanta, Dallas, per source. Also interested in Sacramento but Mbah a Moute deal may take Kings out of mix.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Sources close to Capt. Factorial say that Ellis' camp considers the Kings to be in the lead for Monta's services due to the lucrative 4 year, 82 Kajillion dollar contract they have offered. Monta's camp is not accidentally dropping this number to in any way influence the Atlanta front office's bid, the sources added.
Now this I believe. :)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Maybe. It was published about 40 minutes after though.
Yeah, but I'm not sure Sham Charania is in the inner circle for breaking NBA news. Looks like most of his stuff is just typical rehash of stuff from guys like Amick, Woj and other legitimate sports folk.

3 year deal, so that would probably be for about $36M.....which is more per year than Evans, hopefully if we pull the trigger on it then we at least put in a team option on the 3rd.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
After the trade for Mbah, I'm hoping the Kings FO turn their aim to the PF position. They've got two redundant pieces in Landry and Patterson, and then JT. They still have some cash left. They've got Jimmer/Thornton. Load up the cannon and lets get a PF with some defensive presence.

Since this is now strictly a s/t proposition, I don't think we have the assets to get it done competing against other teams packages leaving DMC and Ben untouched with potentially no 1rst (looming Cavs obligation). But of course I seem to think lower of our rosters value than some other posters

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
After the trade for Mbah, I'm hoping the Kings FO turn their aim to the PF position. They've got two redundant pieces in Landry and Patterson, and then JT. They still have some cash left. They've got Jimmer/Thornton. Load up the cannon and lets get a PF with some defensive presence.
Well, Landry is a post guy, and Patterson is a stretch 4. Then there's JT who is a great role player - I hope he stays. I'm not sure who to move, really. Patterson would make sense, but then we don't have that consistent of an outside shooter. JT fits next to Cousins, because he knows his role, but isn't the lockdown defender.
Landry makes things sticky for sure. Had he not been signed, maybe we could swing Jimmer/Thornton for a shotblocker/draft pick. Seems sticky.

Mbah plays some PF and is a good defensive piece, but is not a rim protector at all. There are only about a dozen real rim protectors in the league right now, and they come at a premium price.

Speaking of which, anyone else watch Rudy Gobert play for the Jazz in the summer league? On length alone, he may average 3 blocks per game with some playtime. He had one block where he was under the rim as the guard picked up the ball to shoot an 18 foot jumper and blocked it with his whole hand. He covered the distance in less than a second. Assuming he can stay healthy and bulk up a bit, he is going to be something to behold as he gets better.

Need I note that the Jazz got him for the 46th pick and cash considerations from Denver?

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Well, Landry is a post guy, and Patterson is a stretch 4. Then there's JT who is a great role player - I hope he stays. I'm not sure who to move, really. Patterson would make sense, but then we don't have that consistent of an outside shooter. JT fits next to Cousins, because he knows his role, but isn't the lockdown defender.
Landry makes things sticky for sure. Had he not been signed, maybe we could swing Jimmer/Thornton for a shotblocker/draft pick. Seems sticky.
Good point. I'd move Landry. But unfortunately that can't happen (and that would be awkward anyway:D). I like PPat better with Cousins because he spreads the floor. If they got a legit backup center then they could move JT, but he's valuable as the backup center right now. I like him better in that role than Hayes, who is probably unmovable.

If we get rid of a combination of Thorton and either Jimmer or IT, preferably IT. I don't hate the idea of getting him now. A three guard rotation of Vasq, Mc, and Monta is not awful. It could be a defensive nightmare. I think a lot of this hinges on Monta's willingness to play PG and facilitator and if he has matured. I admittedly did not follow him at all in Milwaukee, so he could be the same or worse than in GS.

If we get rid of a combination of Thorton and either Jimmer or IT, preferably IT. I don't hate the idea of getting him now. A three guard rotation of Vasq, Mc, and Monta is not awful. It could be a defensive nightmare. I think a lot of this hinges on Monta's willingness to play PG and facilitator and if he has matured. I admittedly did not follow him at all in Milwaukee, so he could be the same or worse than in GS.
This is kind of where I am with it now. If the deal is for <= 10m/year it makes it even a little more reasonable.

It's hard to get over the Tyreke>Monta argument, but Tyreke is gone...ship has sailed. No use comparing them now. Thornton doesn't fit at all and if he get's shipped out and a resigned Monta comes back I can at least see some of what they are thinking even if I don't agree this was the best path.

Entity

Hall of Famer
My only way to make sense out of it is trade Thornton and it. Thornton can't play pg at all. That way you got a true 3 guard rotation. Ala Bibby Christie and Jackson. Now we just got to get a 3 big rotation I would like Larry sanders from them. Jt mt and it for sanders and Ellis. I wouldn't be to mad

Status
Not open for further replies.