Monta

Monta Ellis (POLL NEW)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Entity

Hall of Famer
BTW we are getting mocked on twitter from most sports writers. one guys said "let me get this straight you don't match for Evans and you go after Monta"?

BTW we are getting mocked on twitter from most sports writers. one guys said "let me get this straight you don't match for Evans and you go after Monta"?
Well-founded criticism. Ellis has not earned the benefit of the doubt. That said, something tells me this is either a smokescreen or a part of a larger series of moves no one has any idea of at present. Oh how I hope it is either or both of those options.

Entity

Hall of Famer
if this happens ppl around the globe are going to be scratching their heads at this. Ellis over Evans????? why couldn't i just stay asleep this morning.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Remember when David Kahn was spotted at the rally and there was that twinge of fear that he was in the running for the GM job?

In hindsight I think I'd prefer Kahn to D'Allesandro. If Ellis is brought aboard I'd be sure of it.

Well-founded criticism. Ellis has not earned the benefit of the doubt. That said, something tells me this is either a smokescreen or a part of a larger series of moves no one has any idea of at present. Oh how I hope it is either or both of those options.
If I got a $1 for every time someone said this, I would have bought the Kings instead of Vivek! ;)

I'm going to put my fingers in my ears and pretend this isn't happening. If it does happen, I don't think I'll even have the enthusiasm to express my anger. Makes no sense to go after Ellis after letting Evans walk.

This whole thing is hilarious. We aren't even going to be playing Nellie ball. This is like Nellie's retarded cousin with a lazy eye, club foot and tourettes syndrome....ball.

Jesus this GM is a joke. The only reason why he wont get destroyed in the media is because we already suck, so we're just going to continue to suck and no one will notice.

Well Atlanta were the most serious suitors for Monta. they now have agreed to a sign and trade with milwalkee Teague for Jennings. So i would guess monta is off their board now. So get ready for a Monta, Mclemore, Vasquez 3 guard rotation. Then a trade of Thornton + JT and maybe IT for a SF
Is the sign and trade between Atlanta & Milwaukee official? The last I read, they were just talking about it.....I hope to god they don't do it and the Hawks continue to chase after Ellis.

Ted Davis @nbated about 11 minutes ago

Kings Trying To Clear Space To Sign Monta Ellis basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/228731… via @onswipe

Read more: http://hoopshype.com/twitter/media.html#ixzz2YSrB8kIz

Are you FREAKING kidding me? I liked the idea of getting Vasquez...and I thought this is a good start and I was really looking forward to the season. And then the Kings signed Carl Landry, who I really don't care for. Now this? I want to give the FO the benefit of the doubt, but this is getting ridiculous.

Yeesh. I could squint hard and make sense of the Landry signing, but this? I don't know. The only way it would make sense is if he was willing to come in and play the 6th man role behind Vasquez and McLemore, and they have some deal lined up with Thornton/IT/Patterson for some defenders at C and SF. Otherwise... I might finally join the seething masses with their digital pitchforks here.

Ha. Hahaha.

**** that.

We needed major roster balance trades before this rumor... After Monta? We'd need to change about 80% of the roster to make everything work. What a disaster (if it happens).

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
From Ken Berger's column:

It's not clear what the market is for Ellis at this point, but a league source confirmed to CBSSports.com on Monday that the Kings are investigating their options for moving Chuck Hayes and Jimmer Fredette to accommodate Ellis' desire for a contract starting at $12 million per year. It may be Ellis' last chance to recoup the money he opted out of in Milwaukee.
The full article: http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/ken-berger/22683239/sources-kings-monta-ellis-discussing-deal

No. Just no.

And where was this salary cap clearing maneuvering when a taller, stronger, better defending, more efficient scoring SG was a restricted free agent who WANTED to return?

You want to tell me that you don't see Evans as compatible with McLemore? Fine. But to turn around and think Ellis is?

This can't happen.

Last edited:
For the love of god NO!

If this is true, these idiots are worse than Maloofs and Petrie in recent years. There is one thing worse than not having the money to spend, it's having the money to spend and spending it unwisely!

We are making one **** up after another this off-season!
While this is certainly frustrating, I wouldn't go that far. At least with this method you might actually stumble upon a group that plays well and luck into fringe contender status with the right tweak. In the previous regime even stumbling upon two major talents in the lottery didn't help the team move out of the lottery at all, and I had almost no hope that they would any time soon.

this is... sorta unbelievable... like waking from a nightmare only to find that you've arrived in yet another nightmare...

lemme get this straight: pete d'allesandro, he of such lofty analytics cred, allowed the incredibly efficient tyreke evans to walk just so he could sign the incredibly inefficient monta ellis? that contract better be for peanuts, otherwise PDA's *** is quickly gonna be underneath the pitchforks of an entire fanbase (rather than just the few of us upset over the loss of evans) before a single game is played. what a disappointment...

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Monta! Monta! Monta!

See? I know how to do the ferociously cheer on anything the new front office does no matter how asinine thing too. :p

I'm gonna be on the winning side this time! Woot! Next up: trade for McGee! yes!!

Monta!

Last edited:
12 million? Is this some sort of bad joke?

So Tyreke is bad value at 11, but Monta is good value at 12? PDA is a joke if this happens, and no, I won't give him more time before I make up my mind. He's obviously not going to get fired, but this next few years could be some of the worst in recent memory if he continues pursuing idiotic moves like this. And that's not an over-reaction - literally not one of these moves make sense. I can honestly say at this point I'd have preferred to give GP a season or two with a new owner.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
this is... sorta unbelievable... like waking from a nightmare only to find that you've arrived in yet another nightmare...

lemme get this straight: pete d'allesandro, he of such lofty analytics cred, allowed the incredibly efficient tyreke evans to walk just so he could sign the incredibly inefficient monta ellis? that contract better be for peanuts, otherwise PDA's *** is quickly gonna be underneath the pitchforks of an entire fanbase (rather than just the few of us upset over the loss of evans) before a single game is played. what a disappointment...
According to the Ken Berger article I listed above Ellis is still looking for a deal at $12 million per. I'm guessing the Kings will haggle him down from that ludicriously stupid figure to a merely ridiculously stupid $9 or $10 million per.

Well PDA wanted passing. Maybe he is looking at the APG of Ellis and comes to the conclusion, that this Guy can pass the Ball really well for a SG.
But right now i cant believe it. Evans for Landry and Ellis seems just plain stupid.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Look on the positive side, if he goes through with this maybe we can get Stern to void the entire set of offseason moves by us so far for basketball reasons. :p

According to the Ken Berger article I listed above Ellis is still looking for a deal at $12 million per. I'm guessing the Kings will haggle him down from that ludicriously stupid figure to a merely ridiculously stupid $9 or $10 million per.
indeed. my comment was, of course, sarcastic, because monta ellis is precisely the kind of guard that bad teams readily overpay for a great deal more than peanuts. atlanta is apparently engaged in negotiations with ellis, as well. hopefully their so desperate after losing out on chris paul and dwight howard, and watching josh smith bolt for the pistons last night, that they step in to overpay so that PDA is forced out of following up a couple of ****ty moves as a first-time GM with an even worse move...

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
12 million? Is this some sort of bad joke?

So Tyreke is bad value at 11, but Monta is good value at 12? PDA is a joke if this happens, and no, I won't give him more time before I make up my mind. He's obviously not going to get fired, but this next few years could be some of the worst in recent memory if he continues pursuing idiotic moves like this. And that's not an over-reaction - literally not one of these moves make sense. I can honestly say at this point I'd have preferred to give GP a season or two with a new owner.
Two weeks in and we're longing for Geoff Petrie.

I was in a somewhat nasty car crash on the Bay Bridge when I was 17. No room to stop and no room in the next lane to get over so I just slammed on my brakes and prepared for the impact which seemed like it took an eternity to occur. Same feeling.

12 million?!?!?!? WTF?!?!? Someone can explain me why we want to give him 12M? I mean, I'm not seeing lots of teams fighting for his services, so it's not like we have to overpay to get him here. This just makes no sense. We already have a better and cheaper version, which is MT. This is really a stupid decision.
I was ok with the Tyreke-Vasquez trade, ok with the Landry signing, but this really makes no senso, none. I can't see one single reason to consider this an ok move.

it looks like this is pretty imminent alot of chatter on twitter by the likes of ken berger and others that talks are pretty advanced between the two parties.

Status
Not open for further replies.