Kings/GS Vegas Summer League

If Douby is in there for 20mpg at SG then there will be some issues with defense. Douby is a good defender when defending PGs but not bigger SFs. They would be able to back him down pretty easy.
I'm not sure I would say "good defender," preferring average or mediocre, even when checking PG's. Has anyone ever seen Q dive for a ball - ever? With his long arms he should be getting more deflections. Even the so-called less quick, same height, shorter armed Beno gets a surprising number of deflections. But there's a big reason. He was taught by Pop in San Antonio to ALWAYS keep his arms and hands extended on D.

I'm not sure I would say "good defender," preferring average or mediocre, even when checking PG's. Has anyone ever seen Q dive for a ball - ever? With his long arms he should be getting more deflections. Even the so-called less quick, same height, shorter armed Beno gets a surprising number of deflections. But there's a big reason. He was taught by Pop in San Antonio to ALWAYS keep his arms and hands extended on D.

he never plays ..

bajaden

Hall of Famer
just saw the highlights for this game. Jason looks like the real deal he's just gotta learn to use that left hand
Yeah, thats why I said it would behove him to go the Pete Newell's big man camp. Almost every big in the NBA that has gone there has gotten better. But your right, he needs to use his left hand once in while when he drives to his left, just to keep the opposition honest. I saw him use a jump hook in college and I have yet to see him use it in summer league. He has a nice jump shot from 18 feet in. He needs to learn how to do a little jab step and step back jump shot. That shot was Funderburke's bread and butter. With Thompson's height, that shot would be almost unblockable.

But Hey, he has all the tools, he just has to refine them.

Yeah, thats why I said it would behove him to go the Pete Newell's big man camp. Almost every big in the NBA that has gone there has gotten better.
He did go there last summer, plus other camps, so he's obviously open to improving his game. He seems to have a great work ethic, too.

Yeah, thats why I said it would behove him to go the Pete Newell's big man camp. Almost every big in the NBA that has gone there has gotten better. But your right, he needs to use his left hand once in while when he drives to his left, just to keep the opposition honest. I saw him use a jump hook in college and I have yet to see him use it in summer league. He has a nice jump shot from 18 feet in. He needs to learn how to do a little jab step and step back jump shot. That shot was Funderburke's bread and butter. With Thompson's height, that shot would be almost unblockable.

But Hey, he has all the tools, he just has to refine them.

He seemed to have some nice low post moves from the highlights on youtube... Some people mentioned Chris Webber skills...though he lacks Webber's athletic ability. But if he continue to develop (with those guard skills that he has), he could be a David West like player... not super athletic, but skilled and effective.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
I'm with everyone who says he could be a good scoring option off the bench, and nothing more.

Douby and Garcia is a second unit who could put some points on the board.
.... and singletary!! There an above average defensive group too. If JT becomes the 4 off the bench for Mikki, then Shelden becomes a 4 if JT takes the 5 but don't see that too much unless Kings go small. Even at 6-11 JT can "Play small" with his quickness, speed and overall abilities.

He seemed to have some nice low post moves from the highlights on youtube... Some people mentioned Chris Webber skills...though he lacks Webber's athletic ability. But if he continue to develop (with those guard skills that he has), he could be a David West like player... not super athletic, but skilled and effective.

He's pretty athletic. He's a better athlete than West IMO, not exactly prime C-Webb but he's athletic for sure. He runs the floor really well, he has enough lateral quickness to D up 3s, he's thrown down some pretty nice dunks, and he's pretty strong. He's a good athlete. He kinda reminds me of a young Rasheed Wallace, except with a much better attitude and more aggressive offensively. Sheed started out playing the 3 too, wound up playing the 4, and now plays a lot of 5. I think he could be like a poor man's KG honestly. He has that type of skillset with the mid range j, ball handling and passing ability, rebounding and defense, and his height/quickness. Kinda similar to Chris as far as skill set goes, but athletically Chris was a bit shorter and extremely explosive. JT is more of a well rounded athlete.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
He has more lateral movement than Webber ever dreamed of having. Webb was a little more explosive under the basket. But Webb never had good lateral movement. That was his downfall on defense. JT has more overall quickness than Webb. They're both good athlete's. They both have their pluses and minuses.

He has more lateral movement than Webber ever dreamed of having. Webb was a little more explosive under the basket. But Webb never had good lateral movement. That was his downfall on defense. JT has more overall quickness than Webb. They're both good athlete's. They both have their pluses and minuses.

I agree...Jason is quicker than Chris Webber and can blow by people like a guard. Webber had more explosive leaping ability than Jason Thompson. I think one of the reason Jason was overlooked by scouts is because he doesn't have that... scouts tend to look for that highlight-reel type athleticism...hence Jason was seen as a "solid pick" but with limited ceiling. Jason is definitely no slouch though...and the boy's got skills. at 6'11 he's also got great size.