Kings/GS Vegas Summer League

Well Garcia/Salmons can handle the ball if its that big of a deal. I just want too see Douby get alot of minutes for us because his scoring punch could really help the team.
I know what you're saying but look at what is happening when you are trying to put Douby in a position he can't play. You have him out of position, now that forces another player out of position in your scenario (Garcia/Salmons). Yes they "can" handle the ball but they are not playmakers.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Douby you're no Iverson. But tonight in the summer league you are.

Spoken ironically, but the important thing to remember here -- this likely does not translate. And by that I mean that Quincy is just back to playing like he did in college, take every shot etc.. He can play that role against inferior competition. He can NEVER play that role against the big boys. And hence, sure, he can do the put up big numbers on a bad (in this case a summer league) team bit, but that is little translation to how he has to play in the NBA. He will never be a #1 option in the NBA. Is never going to just get the ball whenever he wants it, unless he plays for a truly awful team. So proving that he can score in that situation isn't really proving much.

Last year we were hoping that Spencer Hawes with his skills might become a Vlade one day or even a Brad in the sense of a solid starting center - he still might. But, Jason Thompson - good lord!! This guy has superstar potential written all over him. He might not become one, but Spencer will never be in that stratosphere. At this point, JT starts at PF for the Kings when the season opens without question. What a find and all the talk leading up to that #12 pick was how Randolph looked like a potential superstar - NOT!

Spoken ironically, but the important thing to remember here -- this likely does not translate. And by that I mean that Quincy is just back to playing like he did in college, take every shot etc.. He can play that role against inferior competition. He can NEVER play that role against the big boys. And hence, sure, he can do the put up big numbers on a bad (in this case a summer league) team bit, but that is little translation to how he has to play in the NBA. He will never be a #1 option in the NBA. Is never going to just get the ball whenever he wants it, unless he plays for a truly awful team. So proving that he can score in that situation isn't really proving much.
Could he not be the number 1 Option of the bench for us, hence making him flourish?

That's why I think a lot of us watch him score 30 and say "We are not impressed because we know you can put up points". He cannot possibly have a spot on the Kings after this season if that's all he can do.

The only way I see him sticking around is if he's a specialty type player backing up Martin, or in there playing SG (while we move Martin to SF) in a small lineup when the Kings are stagnant on the offensive end and need someone to step up and take some shots.

Could he not be the number 1 Option of the bench for us, hence making him flourish?
You never have 5 bench players in the game unless it's a blowout (either way). Like I said above you would have to have Martin out of the game or Martin at SF in order to put Douby in there, because you couldn't possibly play him at PG. All you gain from his shooting you lose with his lack of ball handling. So you can;

1. Play him in a small lineup at SG while moving Martin to SF.
2. Play him at SG while Martin is out.
3. Play him in a blowout at PG, or for a minute before the half or a quarter ends to give Beno an extra rest period.

Those three things equate to about 10mpg-12mpg. That's all I see Douby getting.

Gary,

Yeah i guess. I was just trying to see if there is a way to make the guy more usefull to us by making him No.1 of the bench regardless of the minutes he gets. We're stuck with him so might as well try and make the best use out of him

Gary,

Yeah i guess. I was just trying to see if there is a way to make the guy more usefull to us by making him No.1 of the bench regardless of the minutes he gets. We're stuck with him so might as well try and make the best use out of him
Best use out of him is playing him at the only position he can play, not as many minutes as possible at a position he can't.

Gary,

Totally.. I actually like the small lineup with Martin playing at SF. But then you have to think that Martin would still be the #1 option out there.. Douby needs shots to be effective, and even if he does get on the floor he wouldn't be the #1 option unless we put 4 others out there that can't shoot. In that situation we might as well forfeit the game because the results wouldn't favor the Kings. The Kings have their designated scorers and 1st 2nd 3rd options. If Douby is not shooting he would be completely useless on the floor because he doesn't do much else.. He is good defensively but not against bigger SGs so we would have to play him at PG which would screw up the positions.

The number 1 option or best sixth man for the kings is Francisco Garcia.
If you liked Douby's 39 tonight with someone predicting around the beginning of the 4th Q that he'd break historic:rolleyes: summer league record of 42 - Garcia probably would have broken it tonight or already have done it if he'd been playing in Vegas this year.

The number 1 option or best sixth man for the kings is Francisco Garcia.
If you liked Douby's 39 tonight with someone predicting around the beginning of the 4th Q that he'd break historic:rolleyes: summer league record of 42 - Garcia probably would have broken it tonight or already have done it if he'd been playing in Vegas this year.
The issue is not about how much he scored today and how much another senior player would have scored, its about how to make Douby make more usefull to the team. Making him a PG, according to many has failed. I just raised a question if he could be the No. 1 option of the bench (since him being our SG is not possible due to Martin)

The issue is not about how much he scored today and how much another senior player would have scored, its about how to make Douby make more usefull to the team. Making him a PG, according to many has failed. I just raised a question if he could be the No. 1 option of the bench (since him being our SG is not possible due to Martin)
Yes, I understand. All I'm saying is Garcia is without question main backup to Martin and main man off the bench at 6'7 to spell at not only SG, but SF and spot duty at PG. Cisco is just WAY better and more valuable to the Kings than one dimentional Douby. Douby can play 10 mins a night maybe and be inserted in spots to jump start a poor offensive flow - maybe again. The Kings are so loaded offensively, that's not saying much.

You must remember how Garcia started out tearing up the summer league last year in Vegas, just like Douby is now doing this year.

Purple,

Ohh I agree that Garcia is the better player, never questioned that :). Just wanted to see if there is a way we can increase Doubys effectivness and in turn help the team.

Douby sorta pluses:

Can score, good shooter, but needs the ball in his hands a LOT. Has a nice array off tear drops, slashing moves, and deep shooting touch. Has very long arms which he needs desperately at 6'2-6'3. Is only 24, but at this stage not likely to ever be anything more than a possible little spark plug bench backup at SG.

Douby glaring minuses:

Does not see the entire floor very well or look for open teammates with any consistency. Dribbles too much when in trouble instead of passing out immediately. Will NEVER be an NBA PG. Has some defensive ability, but does not play with defensive intensity, unlike say a constantly causing havoc, Cisco Garcia. Does not rebound or make the effort to get many loose balls.

So that's it IMO. He may or may not be stinking garbage, but that's where he's headed at this point - playing garbage time for the Kings if he lasts much longer on the squad.

I missed the game but why Singletary attempted only 3 shots?!
Because Douby jacked everything up and made most of them. SS seems a bit hesitant to assert himself on offense, but is doing a good job getting the team into its sets. On the down side, I'm not overly impressed with his defense, although he moves his feet well to try to stay in front of his man. He's so damn short at barely 6'0 a lot of GSW guards were taking him fairly easily by just rising up and burying shots on him at will. He still might not make the Kings squad or get cut mid-season. Heck, we might be seeing Anthony Johnson back on the team:eek:

Yep, your right. Johnson signed a two year contract worth $3.8 million with the Orlando Magic recently - his second stint in Orlando. So that means if SS can't make it as Udrih's backup we have to look elsewhere:eek::eek::

wow no love for douby... i hope he proves all the haters wrong this year
I for one don't hate Douby, nor do I hate Artest for that matter. I think Q is just not a great player, not even a good player - just a marginal NBA roster guy. This year will be make or break for his career, but all that means is he'll still be a sub competing for minutes as a swing man where the Kings are loaded. Now, if a nitwit like Starbury were on the Kings maybe I could muster some hater mentality - considering he just tatooed a big ugly STAR on the side of his look at freaky me Mike Tyson-like num-skull.

Douby sorta pluses:

Can score, good shooter, but needs the ball in his hands a LOT. Has a nice array off tear drops, slashing moves, and deep shooting touch. Has very long arms which he needs desperately at 6'2-6'3. Is only 24, but at this stage not likely to ever be anything more than a possible little spark plug bench backup at SG.

Douby glaring minuses:

Does not see the entire floor very well or look for open teammates with any consistency. Dribbles too much when in trouble instead of passing out immediately. Will NEVER be an NBA PG. Has some defensive ability, but does not play with defensive intensity, unlike say a constantly causing havoc, Cisco Garcia. Does not rebound or make the effort to get many loose balls.

So that's it IMO. He may or may not be stinking garbage, but that's where he's headed at this point - playing garbage time for the Kings if he lasts much longer on the squad.
Lol I love how its "sorta" pluses ... and "glaring" minuses...

At least give him full credit for his offensive arsenal.. only Kmart has a better array of scoring moves on this team.

You gotta remember he has been playing with Sean no shoot Singletary(like the kids game..but shoot the damn open shots).. Patrick 1 FG made all summer league Ewing JR. and Sheldon Sperm Whale Williams.. Its going to be a whole different story passing wise if hes out there with players he can actually trust to make a shot, like he will be in reguler season.We would have lost all those games if Douby would not have stepped up his offensive game and took charge. I personally am glad too see the confidence Q has developed since his rookie year, and if he can bring that type of Offensive confidence off our bench every night we are gong to have a dangerous bench mob wit Q,Garcia,Thompson.

Last edited: