Doug Christie

SacTownKid said:
Can't go back, must go forward.
just cause we sign christie doesnt mean we would be playiing in the past. having him here this next season would be looking toward the future because it is now, and he could help the young guys. like i said before, it would only be bad if christie played OG ahead of martin and cisco, esp martin

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
SacTownKid said:
Can't go back, must go forward.
That's been my mantra as well, but in this one specific case going back may have the advantage of being cheaper for us in a year when we have other uses for the money. I'd take Earl Watson signed for 5 years over Doug too. But that would burn up a resource for us, where Doug just might come on the ultra-cheap and let us concentrate on the big man spots. In fact I could easily see us being able to fill the rest of the small spots with vet mins to Doug and Barnes, leaving the MLE and trades totally free to worry about our issues up front. Then maybe we come back next year and can revisit the issue when its a little higher on the pecking order of problems that need resources spent on them.

ONEZERO said:
Lets not go backwards, but forwards.... Sign juan dixon.
I'd dig that. Seattle wants to sign him too though.

Bricklayer said:
That's been my mantra as well, but in this one specific case going back may have the advantage of being cheaper for us in a year when we have other uses for the money. I'd take Earl Watson signed for 5 years over Doug too. But that would burn up a resource for us, where Doug just might come on the ultra-cheap and let us concentrate on the big man spots. In fact I could easily see us being able to fill the rest of the small spots with vet mins to Doug and Barnes, leaving the MLE and trades totally free to worry about our issues up front. Then maybe we come back next year and can revisit the issue when its a little higher on the pecking order of problems that need resources spent on them.
I like that too.

ONEZERO said:
Lets not go backwards, but forwards.... Sign juan dixon.
From his hoopshype.com profile:

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]A superstar in college... A shooting guard in Maryland... Needs time to make the transition to the point guard spot... Lacks playmaking skills... Has always been focused on shooting the ball... Very good at that... Good scorer... Has quick hands... Very fast... Lacks size, strength and athleticism... Too selfish.

If this is accurate, then this is not the type of player we need for a backup PG. Scoring is good, but size, strength, athelticism and defense are what we really need. Maybe we could bring him in for stretches at OG to add scoring in bunches, with or without Mike on the floor, but we've got Garcia, Martin and probably others by the end of the offseason to do that. Shooters are not in short supply on this team. Quick hands and speed is a plus, but how accurate is that? I'll admit I don't know a lot about this guy, but this blurb makes me cautious, as well as the fact that his career stats indicate that he is just a shooter and not much else.
[/font]

I'd just like him because he could be a insant scorer off the bench. But we don't know some things yet, even still about Martin (pre-season will show that). So yeah, I wouldn't mind if we got him, but I think another team will get him (Pacers/Sonics/Heat). Especially the Sonics.

I'm sure we'll have someone or two like that.

I think what we need to take into account is Adelman's use of players because that is NOT going to change. Traditionally Adelman likes to use 8 or 9 man rotation where his bench is versatile. Remember when we had Bobby who was played as 1/2 off the bench, Hedo as 3/4 and Pollard as 4/5. Thats Adelman's typical bench. He likes his players off the bench to be able to play multiple positions. Thats why the idea of Christie and Juan Dixon would be appealing for the Kings. Both can play 1/2. Both can spell Bibby but also spend time on the court WITH Bibby.

I think Kings will follow that pattern again. They like multi-position players. Someone like Zaza Pauchila would be excellent off the bench as the 4/5 guy that Pollard and Clark were. For similar reasons Juan Dixon would also be a very good player off the bench for us. He would provide instant offence when he comes on. He is pretty much poor man's Bobby Jackson in that regard.

Kings113 said:
I'd like Zaza coming off the bench also, he'd be an answer to the bench C/PF uncertainity, next to getting a guy like Hunter.
I think Goeff and Rick would like Zaza more than Hunter. Zaza is young, inside banger and while he is not anywhere near the shotblocker that Hunter is, he is more polished in other areas of his game and therefore a better fit for this team.

captain bill said:
From his hoopshype.com profile:

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]A superstar in college... A shooting guard in Maryland... Needs time to make the transition to the point guard spot... Lacks playmaking skills... Has always been focused on shooting the ball... Very good at that... Good scorer... Has quick hands... Very fast... Lacks size, strength and athleticism... Too selfish. [/font]
This is the old Doug... or should I say the young Doug. They need to update this profile.

I don't doubt that he is a good player and could be useful to this team, but more scorers should not be a priority right now. Especially a backup PG scorer.

Edit: Juan Dixon, not Doug Christie. Didn't see that above post, trying to avoid confusion

Last edited:
Čarolija said:
I think Goeff and Rick would like Zaza more than Hunter. Zaza is young, inside banger and while he is not anywhere near the shotblocker that Hunter is, he is more polished in other areas of his game and therefore a better fit for this team.
I don't know about ZaZa, he has potential, but seems pretty freakin' raw.

O

ONEZERO

There aint no more reason to have interference with the team by adding "jackie" christie to the roster..... Jackie is her name right?

I just don't want any old players right now.... I loved christie, but not right now. I mean, really cheap, maybe... But other than that, I feel its really out of the question... Our team has a different image now... Christie can't feed off of webb and vlade like before.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Christie didn't "feed" off anyone. He was the strongest defensive presence we've had as far back as I can remember. Although he may be slower, he could still fill the role as a PG back-up because he has very good court sense. In addition, Peja would love to see him back as Doug was able to find Peja and feed him a beautiful backdoor pass under the basket on a regular basis. Doug would be a great mentor for Cisco and Martin, too...

O

ONEZERO

There's no room for "mentors" in sports... If u want him as a mentor, then let him coach... Not take up a roster spot and take valuable time away from our up and coming youngsters... Yes I'm saying bring a guy like dixon that obviously will take up playing time from our youngsters as well, but he could be more valuable to the team right now, IMHO.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
ONEZERO said:
There's no room for "mentors" in sports... If u want him as a mentor, then let him coach... Not take up a roster spot and take valuable time away from our up and coming youngsters... Yes I'm saying bring a guy like dixon that obviously will take up playing time from our youngsters as well, but he could be more valuable to the team right now, IMHO.
There's no room for mentors in sports? Au contraire. A seasoned veteran who knows the team and the system can be a very valuable resource on and off the court for our "up and coming youngsters." Doug and Kevin had already hit it off pretty well before the trade. He could show both Kev and Cisco defensive moves to use within our structure...

Doug would play for the veteran's minimum. You don't get a much better deal than that.

If we really want to get serious about defense, we need to start focusing on it. Doug can help. And he's never been a ball hog. Doug played the point before, and I'm sure could do it again.

I don't really see any problem with minutes either. He would be doing this to end his career in the place that brought him the most joy. To be able to have that AND to let Kev and Cisco learn at his feet seems like a win-win proposition to me.

Čarolija said:
Yeah, I was saying both are answers, and I'd assume they'd like Zaza more as well.

VF21 said:
Christie didn't "feed" off anyone. He was the strongest defensive presence we've had as far back as I can remember. Although he may be slower, he could still fill the role as a PG back-up because he has very good court sense. In addition, Peja would love to see him back as Doug was able to find Peja and feed him a beautiful backdoor pass under the basket on a regular basis. Doug would be a great mentor for Cisco and Martin, too...

I agree with you 10000%. this can only be positive for the Kings. The younger players can learn a lot form Doug, especially how to play good defense. I think it would be a win win situation. :D

O

ONEZERO

The last time I consistantly saw backdoor cuts by peja and receiving passes from christie was before webb came back in 03-04... After that I rarely saw it.... What makes u guys think it will happen now? I probably miss those days just as much as anyone, but please stop living in the past... What u guys are asking christie to do is not gonna happen.... I guarantee u it won't pan out like u guys plan.... I want our team to be younger, with less injury proned players, and just be more fast paced.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
It happened last year - before Christie was traded. You may not have seen it, being in LA and all, but it happened - at least once a game (when they both played, of course).

I am not living in the past. I think if could work. If you don't, that's fine. But it's really not something you can guarantee, one way or the other.

We're not talking about Doug as a starter. We're saying to bring him back with the vet's min. as a back-up for Bibby. Doug is a professional and one of the most team-oriented players you'll ever meet. He won't fuss about his new role.

ONEZERO said:
The last time I consistantly saw backdoor cuts by peja and receiving passes from christie was before webb came back in 03-04... After that I rarely saw it....
You must have rarely been watching the Kings then, it happened all the time. How do you think he got those 5 assists a game anyways? Bad wheel or not, he'd still instantly be the best defender on the team... if it's only for the vet. min. it would be worth it.

Last edited:
Kings113 said:
I remember seeing the DC/Peja combo a lot before he was traded... on Doug's defense, I think it'd likely be lessened because of his feet.
He's definately lost a step for sure, but he's still better than anyone on our team at the defensive end.

O

ONEZERO

Ok I'll admit, I only watch the nationally telivised games, but can u please explain to me why I saw more of those passes 2 years ago and not last year.... It may not be entirely dougs fault as I already stated before he fed off the teams chemistry which IMO, is not there anymore... It began to dissapear last year and it will continue to dissapear as the years go on.... There's a reason why doug, along with many of the old kings play so well here, but mediocre elsewhere, because of the system.... The princeton offense is designed to make mediocre players in a "team" system look better than they really are.... If doug comes back and the system that he knew so well is not there anymore, then he may struggle and hurt the team more than help it..... Just let the youngsters battle it out for the 2/3 positions and sign dixon or someone else to play the backup point.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Kings113 said:
I remember seeing the DC/Peja combo a lot before he was traded... on Doug's defense, I think it'd likely be lessened because of his feet.
His feet?

He had plantar fasciitis - just like Peja. The primary cure for it is rest.

He also had surgery to remove bone spurs. That's something that doesn't leave residual problems, either, and primarily needs simple rest for complete recovery.

He may be slowing down because of age, but his feet shouldn't be too much of a concern.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
ONEZERO said:
Ok I'll admit, I only watch the nationally telivised games, but can u please explain to me why I saw more of those passes 2 years ago and not last year.... It may not be entirely dougs fault as I already stated before he fed off the teams chemistry which IMO, is not there anymore... It began to dissapear last year and it will continue to dissapear as the years go on.... There's a reason why doug, along with many of the old kings play so well here, but mediocre elsewhere, because of the system.... The princeton offense is designed to make mediocre players in a "team" system look better than they really are.... If doug comes back and the system that he knew so well is not there anymore, then he may struggle and hurt the team more than help it..... Just let the youngsters battle it out for the 2/3 positions and sign dixon or someone else to play the backup point.
If you only watched the nationally televised games, you were at a disadvantage. I don't know why you don't think you saw the Doug-Peja combo, because I know I did. It was more often during the time when Bobby and Doug were on the court, because when that happened, Doug assumed more of the duties of the PG.

Doug has played with Mike, Peja and Brad for enough time to not "struggle and hurt the team". Besides, we're lobbying for him to come back as a back-up PG, not the starting OG. The kids would still be getting minutes at the 2/3...