Who ya got your eyes on for the 2nd round picks; #37, #49?

I know all the excitements at the top of the draft as it is every year, I swear there's gonna be some solid choices available this low. Obviously some guys projected higher will fall which makes these predictions tricky. There's a long list of players who's stock completely tanked since last summer, but they are young and perhaps could have a glorious redemption arc helping the Kings get to the playoffs.

plus the 1st rd pick will change the course of things..

Now, for me, I'm a believer in Christian Koloko 7-footer from Cameroon (University of Arizona). He was one of my very favorite players in college this season, I think he's a good match with Fox. Koloko's decidedly not in that large group of players whos stock 'tanked' but is still floating in the 2nd rd range - he's someone who demonstrated rapid improvement last season, and with his measurements that kind of improvement can be a big deal.. I'd be hyped if he's the pick at 38. He's got a 7'5" wingspan and is a run and jump guy with som eskill., only weighed in at 221lbs at the combine (5.7% bodyfat) so he's not quite the pure 5 that Queta was last year, ESPN has him listed at PF but he's not that either, he's somewhere in between, which is lacking on the kings roster. Koloko could be the last train to catch for a type who can give the Kings backup minutes, hes got upside IMO, flashes of shooting and passing.
Max Christie would be excellent value at #37 if they are gonna go for a guard, he turned 19 just a few months back though. I'm a Bryce McGowans fan as well -- He made a horrible choice to play with his brother on a bad Nebraska team and that hurt his showcase bigtime.

at #49 I'm hoping for Caleb Houstan 6'8" forward from Michigan who had a rocky season at Michigan but the risk/reward is really solid this low in the draft where 3pt shooting seems scarce.

Last edited:
I know all the excitements at the top of the draft as it is every year, I swear there's gonna be some solid choices available this low. Obviously some guys projected higher will fall which makes these predictions tricky. There's a long list of players who's stock completely tanked since last summer, but they are young and perhaps could have a glorious redemption arc helping the Kings get to the playoffs.

Now, for me, I'm a believer in Christian Koloko 7-footer from Cameroon (University of Arizona). He was one of my very favorite players in college this season, I think he's a good match with Fox. Koloko's decidedly not in that large group of players whos stock 'tanked' but is still floating in the 2nd rd range - he's someone who demonstrated rapid improvement last season, and with his measurements that kind of improvement can be a big deal.. I'd be hyped if he's the pick at 38. He's got a 7'5" wingspan and is a run and jump guy with som eskill., only weighed in at 221lbs at the combine (5.7% bodyfat) so he's not quite the pure 5 that Queta was last year, ESPN has him listed at PF but he's not that either, he's somewhere in between, which is lacking on the kings roster. Koloko could be the last train to catch for a type who can give the Kings backup minutes, hes got upside IMO, flashes of shooting and passing.

Max Christie would be excellent value at #37 if they are gonna go for a guard, he turned 19 just a few months back though. I'm a Bryce McGowans fan as well -- He made a horrible choice to play with his brother on a bad Nebraska team and that hurt his showcase bigtime.

at #49 I'm hoping for Caleb Houstan 6'8" forward from Michigan who had a rocky season at Michigan but the risk/reward is really solid this low in the draft where 3pt shooting seems scarce.
#37 - Peyton Watson or Christian Braun or Pat Baldwin Jr.
#49 - Pat Baldwin Jr. or Jaylin Williams or Ron Harper Jr.

Koloko? I like him, but if the Kings draft him, that's a white flag on Queta.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude

Man, I can see scenarios where all four of the guys you mentioned are gone by the start of the second round.
I want to see the 37 go towards an player potentially capabale of getting rotation minutes this year (preferably a wing or forward). People have Kendall Brown from Baylor slipping into the second round on all their mocks and if he’s there at 37, the Kings should absolutely pick him. Houstan or Christie would also be nice picks but I’m not sure they’re gonna be there at this point. Other names I’d be happy to see us draft there would be Christian Braun (Kansas, an absolute dog who would instantly become a fan favorite/pee off every other team we play), Jake LaRavia (Wake forest. Have my flights about his NBA potential but if he pans out he’d really pan out), or Peyton Watson (UCLA, huuuuuuge upside swing who could be a total bust but that’s what the second round is for).

I want to see the Kings get weird/absolutely swing for the fences with the second 2nd rounder. I’m talking John Butler from Florida (dude makes Chet look fat), Michael Foster from the G-League, or Yannick Nzousa (talked about him before. Super young international player who is super athletic and super long and super good at blocking shots). I’d also be giddy if we took David Roddy or Hyunjung Lee or Ziga Samar with the pick but that’s just out of personal “that would be fun” opinion and not anything really basketball related even if I think they could be okay in the NBA.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I think he'll be an UDFA. Would love to sign him there.
Yeah. The guys had a pretty bad draft process according to most of the reports I can see out there. He could probably be brought in for summer league if we dangle a soft guarantee at him.

also getting Ron Harper Jr would be rad. He’s a classic tweener but the dude plays haaaard
Cory Maggette 2.0.

Yeah. The guys had a pretty bad draft process according to most of the reports I can see out there. He could probably be brought in for summer league if we dangle a soft guarantee at him.
His defense is intriguing. And he gets some stretched Herb Jones comps, which are a bit of stretch, because Jones can defend 1 - 5 while Ellis will likely be 1 - 3 only.

#37 - Peyton Watson or Christian Braun or Pat Baldwin Jr.
#49 - Pat Baldwin Jr. or Jaylin Williams or Ron Harper Jr.

Koloko? I like him, but if the Kings draft him, that's a white flag on Queta.
Christian Braun is a yahtzee scenario with this 37th pick in my book.. I believe there's gonna have to be a scenario where SG's projected in the 2nd land in the 1st and leapfrog him and he gets pushed down -- seems extremely unlikely as things stand rn though.

Pat Baldwin Jr is just the ultimate wildcard in this draft and It would be a great spectacle (at least in my eyes) to see him picked at 49. I fear he might be just too slow to be a good fit with Fox (hope im wrong n he does great), but thats why I'm kinda thinking Houstan might be safer.

I feel like Koloko would be more of filling in the Damian Jones roster spot type more than in direct competition with Queta. They'd both be so cheap too, Im not sure they are redundant or would be in competition with each other(yet) .. I like the idea of the Kings taking a player with real momentum from last season instead of some of these players who are more project-y.

Man, I can see scenarios where all four of the guys you mentioned are gone by the start of the second round.
I want to see the 37 go towards an player potentially capabale of getting rotation minutes this year (preferably a wing or forward). People have Kendall Brown from Baylor slipping into the second round on all their mocks and if he’s there at 37, the Kings should absolutely pick him. Houstan or Christie would also be nice picks but I’m not sure they’re gonna be there at this point. Other names I’d be happy to see us draft there would be Christian Braun (Kansas, an absolute dog who would instantly become a fan favorite/pee off every other team we play), Jake LaRavia (Wake forest. Have my flights about his NBA potential but if he pans out he’d really pan out), or Peyton Watson (UCLA, huuuuuuge upside swing who could be a total bust but that’s what the second round is for).

I want to see the Kings get weird/absolutely swing for the fences with the second 2nd rounder. I’m talking John Butler from Florida (dude makes Chet look fat), Michael Foster from the G-League, or Yannick Nzousa (talked about him before. Super young international player who is super athletic and super long and super good at blocking shots). I’d also be giddy if we took David Roddy or Hyunjung Lee or Ziga Samar with the pick but that’s just out of personal “that would be fun” opinion and not anything really basketball related even if I think they could be okay in the NBA.
Kendall Brown is a pick id be excited for but I do worry about his offense, its a bit puzzling to me that he didnt test out better athletically too, thats gotta be why he's dropped some.
Peyton Watson I dont think will be a bust, I just think he's G-League bound something like a stash prospect.
Michael Foster would make for an interesting 49th pick, I wish him all the luck, I wonder if Dominick Barlow wouldnt be a better fit.

Great thread, second rounders are interesting this year.

My tiers, I would be happy with any of them, which means we probably won't take any of them.

Tier 1 (good chance all of these will be gone by #37):
Jaylen Williams (would not be surprised if he goes in the lottery)
Dalen Terry
EJ Liddell
Kendall Brown
Wendell Moore
Marjon Beauchamp

Tier 2 (good chance multiple will be available at #37):
Justin Lewis
Jake Laravia
Gabriele Procida
Bryce McGowens
Julian Champagnie
David Roddy
Christian Braun
Christian Koloko

Tier 3 (good chance some will be available at #49):
Josh Minott
Jordan Hall
Ismael Kamagate
Ibou Dianko Badji
Kenneth Lofton Jr (pair him up with Roddy and batter the opposition)
Moussa Diabate
Johnny Juzang
Ziga Samar

Last edited:
I think he'll be an UDFA. Would love to sign him there.
Champagnie is also intriguing at 49. I feel like you grab enough of these defenders, eventually one of them will have a jump shot that translates and lands you good second round value with a 3&D acquisition.

Where did you come back from????
Its DRAFT DAY! My favorite day of the year! Theres such opportunity buzzing in the air.. Its a great day to be a kings fan... One of these days (soon) when they are in the playoffs we'll look back at the recent drafts and say "this was the turning point"!

and to me honestly its not even all about the playoffs. I enjoy all the stories intertwining, we've got a chance to put some a fun team together that can grow to be even more fun.

Personally Koloko was up there with Jabari Smith Jr and Keegan Murray as my favorite players to watch in college, and I remember him back from recruitment when he was a 3-star prospect listed at 6'10 and near 190lbs, hes built up such momentum since then, grew a few inches, gained like 30 lbs... I wish I could find the highlights of him dropping 28 points in the tournament but they've disappeared from youtube.

I wonder if we end up trading one of our second rounders, lot a weird stuff going on with two way contracts
I am actually wondering if we try to trade BOTH of our second rounders in hopes of moving up to either the late first round or early second round.

We can also try throwing in one of our future (2023 or 2025) second round picks along with a second this year in hopes of moving up.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I am actually wondering if we try to trade BOTH of our second rounders in hopes of moving up to either the late first round or early second round.
I wouldn't hate it. Gets a guaranteed 4-year deal, could get into Wendell Moore territory, who I think is the underrated player of the late-first/early-second. Dude should go late lotto, but no mocks are even close on him. Four years at el-cheapo? Heck yeah, sign me up!

Great thread, second rounders are interesting this year.

My tiers, I would be happy with any of them, which means we probably won't take any of them.

Tier 1 (good chance all of these will be gone by #37):
Jaylen Williams (would not be surprised if he goes in the lottery)
Dalen Terry
EJ Liddell
Kendall Brown
Wendell Moore
Marjon Beauchamp

Tier 2 (good chance multiple will be available at #37):
Justin Lewis
Jake Laravia
Gabriele Procida
Bryce McGowens
Julian Champagnie
David Roddy
Christian Braun
Christian Koloko

Tier 3 (good chance some will be available at #49):
Jordan Hall
Ismael Kamagate
Ibou Dianko Badji
Kenneth Lofton Jr (pair him up with Roddy and batter the opposition)
Moussa Diabate
Johnny Juzang
Ziga Samar
I hope that McGowens is on the board at 37!! I believe if he didnt go to Nebraska or if he went back to school( and xferred) he wouldnt be in range.

Kenneth Lofton at 49 would be GLORIOUS.. Im not sure if he needs to be paired up with anyone to batter the opposition :D kid is a 1 man wrecking crew

Kamagate would be my preference for if they take a big at 49, I think he's going higher then that --- but i mean Bigs always fall down the board I've learned my lesson from the last 10 drafts... So we'll see..

Barring something really strange fall of like Wendell Moore or Dalen Terry, Laravia is my favorite at 37. I haven't gotten to dive into 2nd rounders very much this draft, (spent way too much time on Ivey, Murray, Daniels), but Laravia really stands out. The shooting potential is enormous and that shot form is absolutely beautiful. Very compact, not a lot of wasted movement, quick high release. It's an enormously repeatable stroke and wouldn't surprise me to see him become an elite NBA floor spacer, despite pretty limited college volume.

Wingspan isn't good, but he's still a solid 6'8 and sneakily has 3/4 flex upside on defense. Competes incredibly hard on defense and is an intelligent team defender. I'm not sure the lateral quickness totally holds up defending the NBA perimeter, but the tools are there for him to be above-average on defense. 1.0 BPG, 1.7 SPG last season is extremely impressive; something we've talked a lot about with Murray having similar block/steal numbers.

Gives you real wing playmaking as well. We've talked a lot about how it's pretty rare for college forwards to come into the NBA with those skills; 18.2% AST and 20% AST the last 2 seasons. That's extremely elite for 6'8.

20.4% USG
19.2% TOV
64.9% TS
20% AST
11.1% TRB
.529 FTr (!!!) at 77 FT%

Stat stuffer stat profile if I've ever seen one. Draws fouls at an elite level, gets involved on the glass, excellent playmaker, extremely efficient. Everything just screams quality starter here. Has a lot of translatable NBA skills and should be a seamless fit next to star power, but can still give you on-ball playmaking and self-shot creation when needed.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
If Kendall Brown or Wendell Moore Jr are there at #37 either would be my pick.

Otherwise I like Watson, Braun, and Barlow, probably in that order.

At #49 if John Butler is still on the board I think he's worth a flyer. If not, my preference would be Jabari Walker. I like his defense and potential to stretch the floor. But it will really depend on who's still on the board. I could see Roddy dropping and he's a lot of fun as a prospect.

I'd also like to see the Kings sign Keon Ellis as an UDFA if he doesn't get picked.

One of the reasons why I'm not crazy about taking a non-shooting wing at 37 is because I'd prefer Josh Minott at 49, he is raw and g-league bound but has an interesting set of skills and he's really explosive and hes 6'8 with near 7' wingspan and can pass the ball and defend, he's got some upside for a player projected 45 and lower. He is built to run the fastbreak with a PG like Fox, thats his game.

With the one exception being Dalen Terry but I think he's gonna land in the 1st rd on a playoff team.. Terry is like a PG though who happens to be 6'7"and can guard many positions, he's kind of an outlier.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wouldn't hate it. Gets a guaranteed 4-year deal, could get into Wendell Moore territory, who I think is the underrated player of the late-first/early-second. Dude should go late lotto, but no mocks are even close on him. Four years at el-cheapo? Heck yeah, sign me up!
If Moore does drop into the 2nd I'd hope McNair calls the Pacers and offers them their 2023 2nd pick back to swap #31 for #37.

If Kendall Brown or Wendell Moore Jr are there at #37 either would be my pick.

Otherwise I like Watson, Braun, and Barlow, probably in that order.

At #49 if John Butler is still on the board I think he's worth a flyer. If not, my preference would be Jabari Walker. I like his defense and potential to stretch the floor. But it will really depend on who's still on the board. I could see Roddy dropping and he's a lot of fun as a prospect.

I'd also like to see the Kings sign Keon Ellis as an UDFA if he doesn't get picked.
I too am intrigued by John Butler.. He's SO skinny though.. Barlow looks good to me too.

I'm a Jabari Walker (son of Samaki Walker for those who didnt know) fan too, it was straight up disrespectful and nonsensical how low ESPN had him projected all throughout the college season.