[Game] Kings @ Magic, 11/05/2022 2pm Pacific, 5pm Eastern

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Domas even more so, the way he was missing the gimmes to a point where Mike Brown subbed him out right after the 5th miss or something.

And he just kept persevering and managed to stay out of foul trouble to be present till the final whistle.
He also came up clutch at the line after shooting like Mason Plumlee for the first four quarters.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Personally I think its the sign of a mature fan base to question the team or players even when they win. It shows that we expect a lot more than what we are currently seeing. Just my opinion.
I don't think there is anyone out here that is entirely happy about what we saw today outside of the last shot. But just as we are long past celebrating moral victories, it's probably beyond time that we can celebrate this team for gritting out wins like Charlotte and Orlando. The team that lost to Portland on opening night doesn't win today. They kept their composure. For the most part they didn't pout if a call didn't go their way (did TD get yanked after his tech?). For the first time since "scores" we seem to be building an identity, and this one is a lot grittier with dirty fingernails. I like it.

But yeah, it's a work in progress. I think this team has it in them to finish a few games above .500, that means we're still going to be disappointed a few times less than half.

Well, it’s just my opinion based on what is posted.
+1

It’s always funny to me how people discount others opinions to their own opinions. Or just don’t recognize the double standard.

Kinda like how when people get offended by something they fail to consider that someone might be offended by them being offended. They can’t see it both ways. Only their opinion/offense matters. SMH.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Watching that it's also interesting to re-watch how hard Orlando pressed on the turnover only to let Fox have that shot. I forgot a bit because the still photos and the end line views show a hand in his face, but he was allowed to plant his feet and take his best shot.

I don't think there is anyone out here that is entirely happy about what we saw today outside of the last shot. But just as we are long past celebrating moral victories, it's probably beyond time that we can celebrate this team for gritting out wins like Charlotte and Orlando. The team that lost to Portland on opening night doesn't win today.
They could easily be 3-0 on this roadie. No doubt they are playing better and more competitively. They aren’t allowing early deficits to get them down and are playing the full 48.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
They could easily be 3-0 on this roadie. No doubt they are playing better and more competitively. They aren’t allowing early deficits to get them down and are playing the full 48.
You can make a good argument they should be 5-3 with a couple bounces which is almost preposterous looking at the schedule. And that's giving away the Clippers and Warriors games which had some spectacular performances by the star players carrying the way in what still wound up close on the final scoresheet. We've only been out of one game, but we've come back to win two we were completely out of at halftime.

I was starting to dread the type of start that New Orleans enjoyed last year and just hoping for all hope that the team wouldn't tune out - I have small tears watching the Kings celebrating that win. I daresay they might all like each other and are still bought in. That's huge.

Always remember the 99 turnaround Kings were 5 games under .500 with 11 to go.

Keegan is going to be a good player, but you simply don't build around players that can't run an offense. He can help the team now, that was the call, and the potential is there. Brown has to figure this out sooner than later because Monte hasn't built a team bursting with upside. This isn't the type of team that mysteriously "gets it" in year 2 or 3. The time is now. Otherwise the new GM with a coaching anchor on a long contract carousel begins all over.
It's important to understand this about the team. It's built to be solid, amd just good enough to slide into the playoffs barring any unforseen situations.

That being said, it is much more fun to watch this team than the the ones from the last few seasons. We're talking strategy and not talking about how much we loathe player x, y and z.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Ahhhhh, the labels. Gotta love them. He has an opposing view, isn't that allowed on an opinion forum?

I don't think Fox makes guys around him better. I think we traded away the wrong guy. So what? Does that opinion directly effect you? Just cause the kings beat a bad orlando team doesn't mean we shouldn't be allowed or shamed from addressing the many issues that probably should have lost us the game? If everyone agrees that makes a bad team forum, IMO.........
In the interest of open discussion then, do you think it's fair to criticize Fox while simultaneously salivating over Banchero's potential in a game where Fox scored more points on less shots than Banchero and hit the game-winner? If the Kings win this one then we beat a "bad Orlando team" but if they lose they can't even beat a bad Orlando team. There has to be another option there. In fact they did win yet the argument now for some is that they should have won by more? That Fox got tunnel vision as usual but Banchero didn't because he slyly chose not to score at all in OT? It's not the difference of opinion that people are taking exception to but the disingenuous nature of how some opinions are expressed. All criticism of the team defense down the stretch is warranted but surely we can be a little bit happy after a win considering how few and far between those highs have been for us.

This is where I think our expectations are all out of whack because we don't even remember what it feels like to be a fan of a winning NBA team anymore. Winning ugly is still winning. Very very few teams are as robo-efficient as the Spurs always seem to be, plenty of elite teams still make big mistakes and then come back to win. As much as we want to will this team along, they are not going to be a 62+ win team. The goal right now is to have a chance to win in every game and they've done that so far in 7 out of 8.
yeah I somewhat agree but let’s look at the record of the teams we have played:

Portland 6-2
Memphis 6-3
Golden State 3-7
Clippers 5-4
Miami (2) 4-6
Charlotte 3-7
Orlando 2-8

3-1 on the trip isn’t bad but when you look at the records of our opponents the team should be better.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member

Portland 6-2
Memphis 6-3
Golden State 3-7
Clippers 5-4
Miami (2) 4-6
Charlotte 3-7
Orlando 2-8

3-1 on the trip isn’t bad but when you look at the records of our opponents the team should be better.
Ok but I'll be shocked if Golden State, Clippers and Miami end the season under .500.

so it may not be popular but I will say it….

it was a poorly played game for much of the game. Playing another lottery team close and hitting a prayer to win against another lottery team is kind of quintessentially Kings game we have seen for the past 10 years.

if our team were all under our 3rd year in the NBA I might feel differently. To me this game isn’t much to celebrate.
Yeah, well that sucky “lottery team” we beat at home just beat the reigning champion Golden State Warriors. There’s still much to improve on, but I think I’ll leave my collection of asterisks and wet blankets securely in their cartons…. ;)

Last edited:
Guy was absolutely destroying Keegan for the first three quarters. I’d say that this is the sort of thing Mike Brown brought KZ in for but I’m not sure if he even exists anymore.
He's not even playing KZ when Keegan has an off night and isn't playing big minutes. Really odd how he's been removed completely from the rotation this early in the season, after being a starter. Almost makes me wonder if something happened that we don't know about

The layup drill for opposing teams is glaring.

It may be as simple as playing KZ to defend Wagner, but a changing of the guard might be necessary.

An answer might be on the Orlando team rn in Mo Bamba. He is currently not trade eligible, but a Jonathan Isaac and Mo Bamba for Holmes and Barnes might be worth it. We have Isaac longer than Barnes but get much needed length and shotblocking.

Kuminga has only played 65 mins this season including several DNPs. What about Davion for Kuminga? Poole is not spelling relief for Curry as he is being paid to do and Monk has been surprisingly capable of being a ballhandler and playmaker.

As mentioned it may be time to strike on a Ben Simmons deal.

The husk of Barnes is not getting it done and due to a nightly layup drill coach Brown may need some personnel to change this team on the defensive end. Yes, I know Davion is a solid defender, but I am specifically referring to a player capable of helping down low. Kuminga may not fit that bill, but in that case it may be a talent upgrade

It's important to understand this about the team. It's built to be solid, amd just good enough to slide into the playoffs barring any unforseen situations.

That being said, it is much more fun to watch this team than the the ones from the last few seasons. We're talking strategy and not talking about how much we loathe player x, y and z.
Yeah, and that's not to say they won't climb after that, but expecting this team to turn a switch on at a later date and go from turd to winner unless something major injury wise goes down ain't happening. Now is the time to try for that top 8 and then climb from there. Not 12-13 then climb.

The layup drill for opposing teams is glaring.

It may be as simple as playing KZ to defend Wagner, but a changing of the guard might be necessary.

An answer might be on the Orlando team rn in Mo Bamba. He is currently not trade eligible, but a Jonathan Isaac and Mo Bamba for Holmes and Barnes might be worth it. We have Isaac longer than Barnes but get much needed length and shotblocking.

Kuminga has only played 65 mins this season including several DNPs. What about Davion for Kuminga? Poole is not spelling relief for Curry as he is being paid to do and Monk has been surprisingly capable of being a ballhandler and playmaker.

As mentioned it may be time to strike on a Ben Simmons deal.

The husk of Barnes is not getting it done and due to a nightly layup drill coach Brown may need some personnel to change this team on the defensive end. Yes, I know Davion is a solid defender, but I am specifically referring to a player capable of helping down low. Kuminga may not fit that bill, but in that case it may be a talent upgrade
KZ for sure would help but if there's an answer, which it probably isn't a great one but the best Browns got, it's to rely less on help, less drop, and attack ball handlers off screens instead. This not working also goes for trying to get "skinny" on every pick and roll and have the big drop down. Fox can do that. KZ can do that. Murray and Barnes can't. They just can't. However they can cross match up and down which is actually what you want. Join the modern NBA or get left behind. It's same story 3 years running.

I don't think there is anyone out here that is entirely happy about what we saw today outside of the last shot. But just as we are long past celebrating moral victories, it's probably beyond time that we can celebrate this team for gritting out wins like Charlotte and Orlando. The team that lost to Portland on opening night doesn't win today. They kept their composure. For the most part they didn't pout if a call didn't go their way (did TD get yanked after his tech?). For the first time since "scores" we seem to be building an identity, and this one is a lot grittier with dirty fingernails. I like it.

But yeah, it's a work in progress. I think this team has it in them to finish a few games above .500, that means we're still going to be disappointed a few times less than half.

I think the biggest difference we've seen with this Kings team 8 games in is that they don't quit. Down 20 on the road in an afternoon game at half has historically just been a death sentence. Clawing back from the Hornets on the road. Getting cheated out of OT in the Heat game without Fox. Fighting back in the 4th quarter vs the Warriors to make it somewhat of a game.

They've had stretches during a game where they look absolutely pathetic (1H of this game, the Hornets game and our Heat win come to mind), but they've found a way to find another gear and at least go compete. Especially defensively, they really do start to lock and find stretches of just great defensive basketball. That's reasonable progress to me.

Really, if HB just figures out how to shoot again and is even 70-80% of what he was last season; that fixes a lot of issues we're having on the offense. Keegan is in a rough stretch, but that's to be expected of a rookie. He'll turn it around again.

He's not even playing KZ when Keegan has an off night and isn't playing big minutes. Really odd how he's been removed completely from the rotation this early in the season, after being a starter. Almost makes me wonder if something happened that we don't know about
I just don’t think he makes much sense coming off the bench. Especially with Lyles playing himself into being a regular.

I always figured it was 12 minutes a game starting the first and third for KZ or nothing. The vision was that the other four starters would be dynamite offensively and KZ could give the opponents best scorer problems giving the Kings a big edge to start games. The Kings starters weren’t dynamite to start the game and for the most part are still struggling to find consistent balance.

I liked the idea but KZ’s starts were coupled with the rest of the front court not producing offensively either…Barnes especially.

Should they decide to move Barnes to the bench I think KZ gets the starting role back but I don’t see him playing minutes off the bench since the bench for the most part has already been struggling to score

KZ really only made sense in that short use starter role.

I think it was the same for KZ in Miami. He would get starts or he wouldn’t play.

Portland 6-2
Memphis 6-3
Golden State 3-7
Clippers 5-4
Miami (2) 4-6
Charlotte 3-7
Orlando 2-8

I mean, this is a silly way to look at our schedule so far. GSW is struggling but they're still the Warriors. They're going to be in the playoffs. Miami too. Clippers regular season basically doesn't matter, they're just trying to get Kawhi/PG healthy into the playoffs and then they can beat anyone in the NBA

The only bad teams we've played are the Hornets/Magic and we came away with 2 wins. Portland was a winnable game around our talent level as well that was a frustrating loss. Even still, they're showing that they're much better than everyone expected. Everyone else has been a league powerhouse the last few years and probably finishes top 5-6 at a minimum in their conference.

Step 1 to becoming a good team is beating bad teams, especially on the road. It was ugly, but at the end of the day, still counts as a W on the backs of our 2 best players. Up to them to fix the problems and build on it.

I haven’t watched the game yet but I was really worried about this one because of the perception of Orlando.

We have to treat each game as going against one of the most talented teams in the world because in most cases it is. I don’t think it’s smart to look at a schedule and pencil in who we should beat. Sometimes it’s just a bad matchup but we can win again every team and lose against any team.

Instead I’d like to see us focus our trends (making or missing free throws). Defense against straight line drives) how certain line ups play together, maximizing a players talents and so on. Figuring out how to clean issues up and double down on what we do well.

Hopefully the coaching staff is already doing this.

I just don’t think he makes much sense coming off the bench. Especially with Lyles playing himself into being a regular.

I always figured it was 12 minutes a game starting the first and third for KZ or nothing. The vision was that the other four starters would be dynamite offensively and KZ could give the opponents best scorer problems giving the Kings a big edge to start games. The Kings starters weren’t dynamite to start the game and for the most part are still struggling to find consistent balance.

I liked the idea but KZ’s starts were coupled with the rest of the front court not producing offensively either…Barnes especially.

Should they decide to move Barnes to the bench I think KZ gets the starting role back but I don’t see him playing minutes off the bench since the bench for the most part has already been struggling to score

KZ really only made sense in that short use starter role.

I think it was the same for KZ in Miami. He would get starts or he wouldn’t play.
I would have him ready at all times to jump off the bench, when we really need a stop. Whether he's in regular rotation or not, he should be used in certain spots. This should have always been his role. Otherwise we have Brown promoting a player as a potential all defensive guy, that he won't even use.

Status
Not open for further replies.