Bajaden's final 2023 Mock Draft

bajaden

Hall of Famer
This guy had Max Lewis over Kobe Bufkin in his last mock btw... I actually dont trust this guys mocks for crap, way too much confirming previous biases going on, WAY too much BLATANT west coast bias. Its like someone who wants to call the shot from far away so he just keeps repeating the initial shotcall, trying to like speak it into existence.

IDK I perceive this guys methodology as simply "i'm high on this player, so i'm gonna dig my feet in the sand over it and ride it out!" n I dont trust that for crap, thats lazy in my book, thatas the justification process of someone who doesnt watch remotely as many games as me, I watch literally 1000 college basketball games per season, I have 3 tv's and 3 desktop computers, work from home, so I dont trust that people actually watch the games, the closer you get to these convos the more you know they arent watching.. so we've gone from the predraft process to the season to the postseason and his favorites remain mostly the same. IDK im unimpressed, guy has nothing to tell me I dont already know.. I feel like

the fact that you had Adem Bona in the first rd on you last one when Clingan didnt even pull out speaks volumes to me, such an unabashed west coast homer, that was before UConn won the chip, bet ya didnt see that one coming! the fact that people prance around here like this dude is even remotely trying to be objective, beyond preposterous. All the players who are like way higher on the board are from the west coast, its not some coincidence... its called recency bias... Guy claims to be a Kentucky fan too, well look at that Cason Wallace way higher on the board, actually bringing up Tshiebwe, I'd say not only is this guy biased but he's extremely biased...

whos the other outlier from the last 1st rd mock ---- Julian Strawther..... another west coast player (seeing a pattern here?!)

You can tell these mocks were written from someone on the west coast..

For the Kings to actually justify taking Max Lewis there (and not just waiting to see if he falls to 38) it would seem he'd just have to be their favorite guy, simple as that, nothing else makes much sense. To me this little paragraph u add into these mocks is crap, dripping with too much favoritism, the blurbs are too much about the players, not enough about the teams. IDK i'm so unimpressed not even with the results or the final mock, but the methodology reminds me of when Killmonger says the line "This is your King?" in Black Panther.

I mean if I stood here season after season I'll bludgeon this dude Baja in these convos... He stands no chance to remain as some beacon of accuracy with me around... But its ok... I will be de-activating this account shortly n never returning here.. I find a new team to root for now that the Kings are good enough. Have your Baja, but heed my warnings, his opinions are dripping with west coast favoritism type of bias, I mean, I watch 5x the amount of games that guy does.

Satudays go by in the draftees threads and I'm the only one making posts about the 20 crazy games that day.. Then the draft rolls around and anyone who isnt on a west coast team gets treated with some stinkeye. this forum sucks.. I'm out.. Max Lewis over Kobe Bufkin in the last mock... Adem Bona in the first round!

The thing with Adem Bona in the first round. thats like such a you dont really know what your talking about type of thing, signals loud and clear "I'm just playing favorites and don't care to even attempt being objective". Adem Bona is a very well known commodity been on the map for years and years and years, for you to put him in the first rd of you last mock is basically a "I know something that everyone else doesnt" pick, and you dont, never had any decent justification for it either, very clearly a case of you just whimsically being biased towards west coast players.

Ur just back handed too "Oh I really like Prosper" no you dont, your just saying that to cover your tracks... I mean maybe your surrounded with a bunch of gullible fools who buy this stuff n eat it up, but i'm not that guy. Puts Nick Smith at 27 "Oh he could be really good!" --- this is insultingly stupid, ur mocks would be better without these writeups.

This is more of a matter of a writing excecise for this guy, how to be on the fence and be risk adverse, this is no mock this is much closer to a big board, there's no attempt at accuracy here.. this is someone with their feet dug in the sand playing favorites. Reminds me of the conversations I have with my 3 year old neice "I dont like this" "I like this" type of analysis. The way this guy does his mocks is how you underrate the international players every single year, thats why I know his methodology is woefully flawed to the point where its useless to me.
You know, I've given you nothing but respect on this forum, but if this is how you want to play it, I'll just put you on ignore. You know nothing about how I operate or come to my conclusions. I watch sometimes 5 or 6 games a day. I dig into every players personal life as much as I can, and I can tell you that I pay little or no attention to what school they go to, other than who the coach is, and the system he runs.

For instance with Max Lewis, who goes to Pepperdine, the coach is Lorenzo Romar, who also used to coach Washington. I didn't like his coaching ability, and to quote another coach from the West Coast Conference, "Romar is one of those coaches that has the ability to get less from more". So I take those things into consideration when judging a player. Two years ago my pick for the Kings was Haliburton, who i didn't think would drop to us. When last I checked, I don't believe he went to a west coast school. Matter of fact if you want to go back and see who I picked most of the past 15 years, you'll find very few of them come from west coast schools.

By the way, Anunoby was my pick in the draft you were referring to. And with the comments you made, you only told part of the story. In other words, you cherry picked what would favor you argument. There was a reason a lot of teams passed on Anunoby in that draft. He suffered a knee injury about a third of the way through the season and had surgery. As a result many teams didn't want to gamble on him. As a result the Kings took Justin Jackson, who I didn't like.

At times you come across like a 17 year old kid with an inferiority complex who has to put other people down to build up your own ego. So my advice to you is to grow up and start acting like an adult. I say this with no malice toward you. My grandmother told me that you can lose everything in the world, but the one thing you never want to lose is respect. Once you lose it, it's very hard to get it back. On this forum, when you lose the respect of the other members, they stop listening to you.

By the way, Anunoby was my pick in the draft you were referring to. And with the comments you made, you only told part of the story. In other words, you cherry picked what would favor you argument. There was a reason a lot of teams passed on Anunoby in that draft. He suffered a knee injury about a third of the way through the season and had surgery. As a result many teams didn't want to gamble on him. As a result the Kings took Justin Jackson, who I didn't like.
I would add to this that OG's camp only released his medicals to a select group of teams before the draft. The rumor was that he wouldn't be able to play any his entire rookie season.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Man, I think only come onto this thread to watch the rapid fire 4 or 5 posts in a row of unloading his consciousness from Ozymandias and watch how he puts down multiple people who don’t even exist…..but then he goes and attacks the one guy who puts in a ton of time on the draft. Wild stuff.

I want to preface this mock draft by saying this is probably the most difficult mock draft I've ever done. Once you get past the first 10 or 11 picks, it becomes a total crapshoot! There are players that I have going in the thirties that could go in the twenties, and vice versa. Regardless of whether the Kings draft your favorite player or mine, they should get a good player. Bear in mind, that I have players going where I think they'll go, not where I might draft that player. In simple terms, my big board is quite a bit different than this mock draft. The heights listed are based on the typical shoe worn by NBA players adds about an inch and a half in height. So, without further ado:

1. Spurs: Victor Wembayama: C/PF/SF, 7'5", 229 Lbs, 7'8" wingspan, Metropolitans
32.1 mpg - 21.6 ppg - 47.0% fgp - 27.5% 3pp - 82.8% ftp - 10.4 rpg - 2.4 apg - 3.0 blk's
Wembayama is the obvious choice so there's not much to say other than he needs to get stronger, and improve his 3 pt shot. He shoots off balance a lot of the time and I think that's partly responsible for his poor percentage. If he stays healthy, he's likely a future HOF player.

2. Hornets: Brandon Miller: SF, 6'9", 200 Lb's, Wingspan NA, Freshman, Alabama
32.6 mpg - 18.8 ppg - 43.0% fgp - 38.4% 3pp - 85.9% ftp - 8.2 rpg - 2.1 apg - 0.9 blk's
Personally, I think the Hornets should take Henderson, but all the rumors point to taking Miller, who no doubt is a better fit. Time will tell whether they made the right choice. Miller is the total package! A three level scorer who defends and rebounds!

3. Portland: Scoot Henderson: PG, 6'3", 195 Lb's, Wingspan NA, G-League Ignite
30.7 mpg - 16.5 ppg - 42.9% fgp - 27.5% 3pp - 76.4% ftp - 5.4 rpg - 6.5 apg - 1.1 stl's
I think there's a high possibility that Portland trades this pick for an established player, or trades down. Perhaps with Houston who would love to acquire Henderson. Should be interesting! Scoot is an exciting player to watch and is impossible to stop when going downhill with a head of steam. Needs to improve his outside shot.

4. Rockets: Amen Thompson: SF/SG/PG, 6'7", 214 Lb's, 6'11" wingspan, Overtime Elite
27.2 mpg - 16.3 ppg - 56.8% fgp - 23.3% 3pp - 64.6% ftp - 6.5 rpg - 6.2 apg - 2.4 stl's - 0.8 blk's
I'm not as high on the Thompson twins as a lot of people are. Neither of them can shoot, and they played in a league with very poor competition going up against the equivalent of highschool teams. The Rockets need a player that can bring some on court discipline, and Amen should help in that area. He's one of the best athlete's in the draft and has an explosive first step off the dribble. He has the potential to be a lock down defender.

5. Pistons: Jarace Walker: PF, 6'8", 240 Lb's, 7'2.5" Wingspan, Freshman, Houston
27.6 mpg - 11.2 ppg - 46.5% fgp - 34.8% 3pp - 66.3% ftp - 6.8 rpg - 1.8 apg - 1.0 stl's - 1.3 blk's
Jarace is one of my favorite players in the draft. He's one of the best defenders as well, and a very good rebounder. I fail to understand how he was used at Houston, but I feel the didn't get a chance to really showcase his entire tool box. He's a terrific athlete who can make an immediate impact defensively on any team that drafts him.

6. Magic: Cam Whitemore: SF, 6'7", 232 Lb's, Wingspan NA, Freshman, Villanova
27.3 mpg - 12.5 ppg - 47.8% fgp - 34.3% - 70.3% ftp - 5.3 rpg - 0.7 apg - 1.4 stl's

Whitemore is a deceptive athlete. At first glance he doesn't look like an elite athlete, and then he blows right by you. He'a a good finisher and uses his big body to bully his way to the basket on post up's. I think he's a better shooter than his stats indicate. My main criticism would be that needs improve his passing and his ability to create for others.

7. Pacers: Taylor Hendricks: PF, 6'9.75", 213 Lb's, 7'0.5" wingspan, Freshman, UCF
34.7 mpg - 15.1 ppg - 47.8% fgp - 39.4% 3pp - 78.2% ftp - 7.0 rpg - 1.4 apg - 0.9 blk's - 1.7 blk's
Hendricks is one of the surprise players this season, and when they do a redraft a couple of years from now, he may end up being the best player out of this draft. He has tremendous upside, and he's darned good right now.Hendricks and Haliburten is a dream pairing and should be fun to watch.

8. Wizards: Cason Wallace: PG/SG, 6'4", 193 Lb's, 6'8.5" Wingspan, Freshman, Kentucky
32.2 mpg - 11.7 ppg - 44.6% fgp - 34.6% 3pp - 75.7% ftp - 3.7 rpg - 4.3 apg - 2.0 stl's
Cason is one of the best defensive players in the draft. He can play on or off the ball. Very smart player who is a master of the floater. The first third of the season he was shooting over 40% from three, and then he suffered an in game back injury, but decided to keep playing through the rest of the season. However it affected his shot, and his ability to finish at the basket, one of his pre injury strengths. He's a very smart player who knows how to play the game. Plus, he has that dog in him!

9. Jazz: Grady Dick: SF, 6'8", 205 Lb's, 6'8.75" Wingspan, Freshman, Kansas
32.7 mpg - 14.1 ppg - 44.2% fgp - 40.3% 3pp - 85.4% ftp - 5.1 rpg - 1.7 apg - 1.4 stl's
Dick is one of the better shooters in the draft, and certainly helps the Jazz rebuild. Can he defend at the NBA level? He needs to get stronger, but in the meantime, he's a deadly catch and shoot player who I think can become a three level scorer in the league.

10. Mav's: Anthony Black: SF/SG/PG, 6'7.25", 210 Lb's, 6'7.5" Wingspan, Freshman, Arkansas
34.9 mpg - 12.8 ppg - 45.3% fgp - 30.1% 3pp - 70.5% ftp - 5.1 rpg - 3.9 apg - 2.1 stl's - 0.6 blk's
It's possible that Black goes higher, or lower. He's an excellent defender with great anticipation. Terrific passer who can create for others. His only major flaw is his outside shot, which doesn't look broken to me. I think with time he can become a respectable shooter. He has all the tools. He can guard four positions, depending on the matchup. I also think there's the possibility that the Mav's trade this pick for an established player.

11. Magic: Ausur Thompson: SF, 6'7", 207 Lb's, 6'11" Wingspan, Overtime Elite
27.1 mpg - 14.7 ppg - 50.4% fgp - 21.7% 3pp - 64.1% ftp - 8.2 rpg - 3.0 apg - 1.7 stl's - 2.2 blk's
Ausur is very much like his brother. Neither can shoot the ball and neither are good freethrow shooters. I Ausur's shooting form looks better than Amen's, but his results are nearly the same. Like his brother he has the tools to be a lock down defender. A good passer, but not as skilled as his brother in that area. In some ways I like Ausur better than Amen. On a personal level when judging players, I have a problem with players that can't shoot the ball. But, Lebron couldn't shoot when he came into the league either, and he's been pretty good!

12. Thunder: Bibil Coulibaly: SF/SG, 6'6", 230 Lb's, 7'2" Wingspan, 18 yr's old, Levailois
19.7 mpg - 5.9 ppg - 53.6% fgp - 37.5% 3pp - 60.7% ftp - 3.3 rpg - 0.9 apg - 0.9 stl's
Coulibaly is a fast riser and the rumor is that the Thunder is lusting after him. Take his stat's with a grain of salt because, as with a lot of European players, they play in more than one league in a given season. In Coulibaly's case, he played in three different leagues, and I believe these are the stats from the under 19 league and it contained his best 3 pt percentages. However, he barely took more than one a game, so take that for what's its worth. He's a very good fluid athlete, who always seems to be on balance. Very good defender with a huge wingspan. I think his shot is a bit suspect, but he's very young with plenty of time to figure things out. This high, he's a swing for the fences pick, but the reward could be great!

13, Raptors: Dereck Lively: Center, 7'1", 230 Lb's, 7'8" Wingspan, Freshman, Duke
20.6 mpg - 5.2 ppg - 65.8% fgp - 15.4% 3pp - 60.0% ftp - 5.4 rpg - 1.1 apg - 2.4 blk's - 0.5 stl's
The Raptors suffered last season because they didn't have a real center on their team. While they made a trade to get Poeltl, he's a unrestricted freeagent, so Lively would give them some insurance. I'm not buying stock in Lively's 3 pt shot just yet, and he's a bit suspect defending away from the basket, but he'll certainly help they're overall defense.

14. Pelicans: Jalen Hood-Schifino: PG/SG, 6'5.75", 216 Lb's, 6'10.25", Freshman, Indiana
33.1 mpg - 13.5 ppg - 41.7% fgp - 33.3% 3pp - 77.6% ftp - 4.1 rpg - 3.7 apg - 0.8 stl's
I think Schifino is a good fit on the Pelicans. He's more of a combo guard than a true PG, and he has the size to play both spots, and he can probably guard up to SF. I think he's capable of being a better 3pt shooter than his stats indicate. He was one of the reasons that Indiana was such a good team this past season. I know some mocks have him going lower than this, but I really like him and his versatility.

15. Hawks: Leonard Miller: PF/SF, 6'10.75", 7'2" Wingspan, G-League Ignite
30.6 mpg - 17.9 ppg - 55.6% fgp - 32.7% 3pp - 79.2% ftp - 10.9 rpg - 1.5 apg - 0.9 stl's
The Hawks need front court help and Miller a player they can't pass up at this point. Miller is the most improved player from last year in my opinion. He went from a player that looked like he didn't have a clue, to a potential lottery pick. He was outstanding the last third of the season. He defended extremely well and was one of the best rebounders in that league. He has good handles and started to show off some passing skills. He has great upside!
Baja. Know someone who worked for Danny Ainge. His philosophy is to take big swings in the lottery. With that philosophy I think Danny takes Coulibaly with pick 9.

My preference at this point would be Prosper though I am not sure he will be there.
I guess the good thing is some type of talent at F, either as a scoring talent or defender will be there. A lot of options for Monte await perhaps. If any of GG, Lewis, Jackson-Davis, Prosper, or Rupert were called some needs in potential or position are taken care of.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Baja. Know someone who worked for Danny Ainge. His philosophy is to take big swings in the lottery. With that philosophy I think Danny takes Coulibaly with pick 9.
You could be right! All I know for sure is that the Thunder are very high on him. But it's very possible that another team that picks before them is as well. As I've stated, this draft is a giant crapshoot. Outside of the top 5 picks or so, I have no idea where anyone might end up going. So your guess is as good as mine.

Know one knows for sure at this point. But kids I like for us and I think could be available (Coulibaly I love but won’t be there):

Ryan Rupert: very long wing who is a lock down defender

Prosper - lock down wing defender who can guard multiple positions. Needs to shoot better.

Whitehead - tons of potential put dropped due to foot injury.

GG Jackson- high potential kid with an upside and good length.

Lewis - can score from many levels but not the defensive player I want

Kids I might skip

Kris Murray love his game but feel he has similar physical strengths and weaknesses as Keegan. Would like a little more lateral quickness and length to pair with Keegan.

Trace Jackson Davis is a tweener between a center and a wing. Not big enough to be a defensive anchor center and can’t shoot well enough to be a wing

Last edited:

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
GG Davis- high potential kid with an upside and good length.
I'm guessing this is GG Jackson.

Some team will take a flyer on him based on how highly he was ranked coming out of high school and the physical tools, but I hope it isn't the Kings.

The draft is definitely an inexact science, but if I was forced to put a large sun of money on any one player from this draft being a bust it would be him.

He doesn't have a single NBA level skill to hang his hat on and South Carolina did him no favors by making him the guy in their offense.

Add in reports of poor workouts and even worse interviews and I don't want any part of him.

I'm guessing this is GG Jackson.

Some team will take a flyer on him based on how highly he was ranked coming out of high school and the physical tools, but I hope it isn't the Kings.

The draft is definitely an inexact science, but if I was forced to put a large sun of money on any one player from this draft being a bust it would be him.

He doesn't have a single NBA level skill to hang his hat on and South Carolina did him no favors by making him the guy in their offense.

Add in reports of poor workouts and even worse interviews and I don't want any part of him.
He does show promise with one skill that pretty much defines stardom in the NBA though and that's the ability to navigate in and out of pick and roll as a face up scorer. That's what separates star F's from role guys or shooters. GG could bust but his upside is bonkers if he's not a bonehead and finds the right team to develop him.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Leonard Miller might be a big swing there as well?
Actually, I like Miller a lot, and I don't think he's as big a gamble as some might think. I've watched a lot of film on him and he has all the tools to be a very good player. What's impressive about him is his ability to improve, and do it fairly quickly. Like Max Lewis, he's a late bloomer who is still learning the game. But the IQ improvement from a year ago is amazing.

I don't follow prospects much until this time of the year but questions for the board who do. It does seem like there will be a few 'D but no 3' players who may be available when we pick at 24 or 38 - e.g., Rayan Rupert, O-Max, Jacquez, Jordan Walsch etc. Curious whether/ how any of these guys distinguish themselves from the crew we have had recently that haven't been able to stay on the floor/ team - e.g., KZ, Mo Harkless, to a lesser extent Davion? Would it be reasonable to expect any of them to develop an above average shot? And are any that good at all else it won't matter?

Oh man, I had to literally "LOL" so freaking hard (and loud) reading the first handful of posts in this thread...Last time I checked, a "mock draft" is, quite literally, an individual's, or a group's, take on how the draft is going to pan out. It's just a freaking prediction. Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh.....

Now, on to the topic...I, for one, am really looking forward to the draft later this week. Because, for the first time in what has most certainly been a very long time, we are looking to draft complementary pieces, and not cornerstones, or franchise-altering pieces. It actually kind of feels nice going into a draft knowing that our "core" is pretty much set, and we're just looking to find bodies that can compliment that core nicely.

@bajaden, I haven't been here for that long (16 months, to be exact), but I can say with 100% confidence that your mock drafts (both last year's version, and now this year's version) are two of the things I have enjoyed reading. Your passion when it comes to following draft prospects (college, high school, and international) clearly shows, and you're not just slapping a bunch of random names all across a giant dartboard, chucking darts at the names, and then declaring the name of the individual the dart hits as your "selection" in the draft. You clearly have done your analysis, and you've done it very well, to be able to justify your reasoning behind each selection in your mock draft.

Out of curiosity, have you ever run any statistics against your final mock draft (just for fun) to see how close to the actual draft your mock draft ended up being? Just wondering, as it would probably be quite an interesting statistic, seeing that you put so much effort (and time) into your mock drafts.

Thanks for the effort Baja. I like what i’m seeing / reading about Lewis, might take awhile to pay dividends but seems like a good fit.
NBA Draft.net also has Lewis at #24, Podziemski at #38, and Kentucky big Tshiebwe at #54. For what that’s worth sounds like a well rounded haul assuming we keep all those picks.
I’m thinking Kris Murray will be off the board by the time we pick but if not might be a tad bit awkward.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the effort Baja. I like what i’m seeing / reading about Lewis, might take awhile to pay dividends but seems like a good fit.
NBA Draft.net also has Lewis at #24, Podziemski at #38, and Kentucky big Tshiebwe at #54. For what that’s worth sounds like a well rounded haul assuming we keep all those picks.
I’m thinking Kris Murray will be off the board by the time we pick but if not might be a tad bit awkward.
I can't imagine the draft would actually shake out the way NBAdraft.net has it, but if that were the actual board, I'm not sure I could take Max Lewis over Leonard Miller.

For that matter as much as I like Podziemski, I would take Prosper or Nnaji over him at 38 since they fill a bigger position of need unless Huerter were to be dealt in a deal, possibly for Anunoby.

And at 54 I'd 100% take Kobe Brown over Tshiebwe. Tshiebwe seems like a good fit because his one bankable skill (rebounding) is something the Kings really need, but he's like a Reggie Evans where I don't see what else he does that would actually earn him court time.

If Kobe Brown works on his body I think he could potentially be a rotation player on a good team.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Actually, I like Miller a lot, and I don't think he's as big a gamble as some might think. I've watched a lot of film on him and he has all the tools to be a very good player. What's impressive about him is his ability to improve, and do it fairly quickly. Like Max Lewis, he's a late bloomer who is still learning the game. But the IQ improvement from a year ago is amazing.
As you know, I put a high value on BBIQ. What other players with very high BBIQ are going to be there at #24? Thanks.

I can't imagine the draft would actually shake out the way NBAdraft.net has it, but if that were the actual board, I'm not sure I could take Max Lewis over Leonard Miller.

For that matter as much as I like Podziemski, I would take Prosper or Nnaji over him at 38 since they fill a bigger position of need unless Huerter were to be dealt in a deal, possibly for Anunoby.

And at 54 I'd 100% take Kobe Brown over Tshiebwe. Tshiebwe seems like a good fit because his one bankable skill (rebounding) is something the Kings really need, but he's like a Reggie Evans where I don't see what else he does that would actually earn him court time.

If Kobe Brown works on his body I think he could potentially be a rotation player on a good team.
I haven’t had the time to follow the players much this year, and not having a lottery pick doesn’t help but it’s welcomed.
I always enjoyed player interviews and liked what I heard from Lewis. Like Jaylen Brown, Lewis has cool interest outside of Basketball, plays saxophone for example. Some might think it’s better to be single focused but I enjoy a diverse approach.
Regardless, i’m pretty clueless who might be the best choice at 24 and thinking there’s a chance we will be picking for another team anyways.

Kevin Felton released his annual stat-based projections:

1. Victor Wembanyama
2. Brandon Miller
3. Cam Whitmore
4. Taylor Hendricks
5. Gradey Dick
6. Cason Wallace
7. Dereck Lively II
8. Jarace Walker
9. Brandin Podziemski
10. Brice Sensabaugh
11. Dariq Whitehead
12. Keyonte George
13. Scoot Henderson
14. Anthony Black
15. Jett Howard
16. Leonard Miller
17. Jordan Hawkins
18. Nick Smith Jr.
19. Colby Jones
20. Noah Clowney
21. Kris Murray
22. Jordan Walsh
23. Kobe Bufkin
24. Marcus Sasser
25. Terquavion Smith
26. Jaime Jaquez Jr.
27. Bilal Coulibaly
28. Julian Phillips
29. Jalen Slawson
30. Jaylen Clark
31. Enzo Shahrvin
32. Rayan Rupert
33. Marcus Bagley
34. Justin Powell
35. Jalen Hood-Schifino
36. Julian Strawther
37. Maxwell Lewis
38. Darius McGhee
39. Emoni Bates
40. Sidy Cissoko
41. James Nnaji
42. Adam Flagler
43. Malachi Smith
44. D'Moi Hodge
45. Ben Sheppard

For reference, last year he had:
Chet (1), Jabari (2), Keegan (3), AJ Griffin (4), Daniels (5), Kessler (6), Mathurin (7), Eason (8), Sochan (9), Sharpe (10), Paolo (11), Ivey (12), Duren (13), Chandler (14), Baldwin Jr (15), Braun (16), Branham (17), Davis (20), Ellis (31), Agbaji (33), Hardy (35), Champagnie (36), Jalen Williams (42)

In 2021 he had:
Sengun (1), Cade (2), Green (3), Mobley (4), Giddey (5), Suggs (6), Franz (9), Murphy III (11), Scottie (13), Davion (42)

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Know one knows for sure at this point. But kids I like for us and I think could be available (Coulibaly I love but won’t be there):

Ryan Rupert: very long wing who is a lock down defender

Prosper - lock down wing defender who can guard multiple positions. Needs to shoot better.

Whitehead - tons of potential put dropped due to foot injury.

GG Davis- high potential kid with an upside and good length.

Lewis - can score from many levels but not the defensive player I want

Kids I might skip

Kris Murray love his game but feel he has similar physical strengths and weaknesses as Keegan. Would like a little more lateral quickness and length to pair with Keegan.

Trace Jackson Davis is a tweener between a center and a wing. Not big enough to be a defensive anchor center and can’t shoot well enough to be a wing
I'm going to disagree with you on Trace Jackson-Davis. In shoes, he just a tick, or a quarter inch under being 6'10". Which means he as tall as Holmes and almost as tall as Sabonis, He has a bigger wingspan than both of them and a higher standing reach. He's also a better athlete than both of them. His shotblocking ability was one of the best in college last season. He went up against all the big centers in the big ten and outplayed just about all of them, including Edey in their first matchup. He did the same thing to Hunter Dickinson the 7'1" center from Michigan.

Davis also plays with an edge. If he has you down, he'll put his foot on your throat. I think he can shoot the ball, and I basing that on two things. One, the way he shot the ball at the combine. He looked very relaxed and his shot was fluid. He wasn't thinking about it, he was just letting it fly. His form was good. Normally that wouldn''t be enough for me, but in an interview when asked about his not taking any shot away from the basket, he said he was doing what he was asked to do. I took that to mean that yes, he can shoot, but wasn't allowed to.

Now I could be wrong, but if I'm right, then you have yourself a hell of a player who is a great defensive player, who can also be a threat from the outside. Which would mean he could also play some minutes at the four. What separates Davis from the rest is his terrific passing. You can run the ball through him just like we do Sabonis. He has great court vision and basketball IQ . I struggled with our pick between Lewis and Davis. But hey, there are other players that I like as well, I just happen to have both at the top of my list. Just my opinion, which is worth what you paid for it. Nothing!

I'm going to disagree with you on Trace Jackson-Davis. In shoes, he just a tick, or a quarter inch under being 6'10". Which means he as tall as Holmes and almost as tall as Sabonis, He has a bigger wingspan than both of them and a higher standing reach. He's also a better athlete than both of them. His shotblocking ability was one of the best in college last season. He went up against all the big centers in the big ten and outplayed just about all of them, including Edey in their first matchup. He did the same thing to Hunter Dickinson the 7'1" center from Michigan.

Davis also plays with an edge. If he has you down, he'll put his foot on your throat. I think he can shoot the ball, and I basing that on two things. One, the way he shot the ball at the combine. He looked very relaxed and his shot was fluid. He wasn't thinking about it, he was just letting it fly. His form was good. Normally that wouldn''t be enough for me, but in an interview when asked about his not taking any shot away from the basket, he said he was doing what he was asked to do. I took that to mean that yes, he can shoot, but wasn't allowed to.

Now I could be wrong, but if I'm right, then you have yourself a hell of a player who is a great defensive player, who can also be a threat from the outside. Which would mean he could also play some minutes at the four. What separates Davis from the rest is his terrific passing. You can run the ball through him just like we do Sabonis. He has great court vision and basketball IQ . I struggled with our pick between Lewis and Davis. But hey, there are other players that I like as well, I just happen to have both at the top of my list. Just my opinion, which is worth what you paid for it. Nothing!
Yep and I respect your opinion. To me he has tweener vibes. 7’ 1” wingspan isn’t all that great for a center. Rob Williams has a 7’ 51/2” wingspan. I’m hopeful if Whitehead is there we take the risk.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Kevin Felton released his annual stat-based projections:

1. Victor Wembanyama
2. Brandon Miller
3. Cam Whitmore
4. Taylor Hendricks
5. Gradey Dick
6. Cason Wallace
7. Dereck Lively II
8. Jarace Walker
9. Brandin Podziemski
10. Brice Sensabaugh
11. Dariq Whitehead
12. Keyonte George
13. Scoot Henderson
14. Anthony Black
15. Jett Howard
16. Leonard Miller
17. Jordan Hawkins
18. Nick Smith Jr.
19. Colby Jones
20. Noah Clowney
21. Kris Murray
22. Jordan Walsh
23. Kobe Bufkin
24. Marcus Sasser
25. Terquavion Smith
26. Jaime Jaquez Jr.
27. Bilal Coulibaly
28. Julian Phillips
29. Jalen Slawson
30. Jaylen Clark
31. Enzo Shahrvin
32. Rayan Rupert
33. Marcus Bagley
34. Justin Powell
35. Jalen Hood-Schifino
36. Julian Strawther
37. Maxwell Lewis
38. Darius McGhee
39. Emoni Bates
40. Sidy Cissoko
41. James Nnaji
42. Adam Flagler
43. Malachi Smith
44. D'Moi Hodge
45. Ben Sheppard

For reference, last year he had:
Chet (1), Jabari (2), Keegan (3), AJ Griffin (4), Daniels (5), Kessler (6), Mathurin (7), Eason (8), Sochan (9), Sharpe (10), Paolo (11), Ivey (12), Duren (13), Chandler (14), Baldwin Jr (15), Braun (16), Branham (17), Davis (20), Ellis (31), Agbaji (33), Hardy (35), Champagnie (36), Jalen Williams (42)

In 2021 he had:
Sengun (1), Cade (2), Green (3), Mobley (4), Giddey (5), Suggs (6), Franz (9), Murphy III (11), Scottie (13), Davion (42)
The system is obviously flawed. Not saying it won't project some players where they should be, but it will also miss on players. You can't go just on stats. There's a reason that some very good players can have bad stats, and you have to dig deep to find out why, or you have to watch that player multiple games, and I don't mean two games. But it's interesting. I'd like to see exactly what his formula is. I'd also like to know how big his data base was. Did he include every player that declared for the draft, or did he just do the top 100 or so?

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
The system is obviously flawed. Not saying it won't project some players where they should be, but it will also miss on players. You can't go just on stats. There's a reason that some very good players can have bad stats, and you have to dig deep to find out why, or you have to watch that player multiple games, and I don't mean two games. But it's interesting. I'd like to see exactly what his formula is. I'd also like to know how big his data base was. Did he include every player that declared for the draft, or did he just do the top 100 or so?
I love any analysis that breaks from the norm since so much of the media analysis this time of year is just taking from the few guys that really know their stuff and put in the work. But I agree this is flawed.

It seems like it rewards guys on teams with less talent around them which is why he was low on Banchero last year. It also seems to skew towards older players and I wonder how he he incorporates strength of schedule.

Last edited: