Doug Christie

O

OhBoy

There are rumors going around that Christie will be waived by Orlando....should we pick him up?...he was quoted somewhere saying he would love to come back...and imagine him as the backup PG...remember those christie to peja passes...he has great court vision (toronto days)....might be a good fit..hes only around 35 or 36....bring doug back?..

no harm in getting him in on the cheap, but i think he could be past it. also resigning him is kind of a step backwards in a metaphorical sense.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
He would bring defensive leadership to Kevin and Cisco and can backup the 1 and 2. At 6-6 he would be valuable against some of the big PGs we face. He is a gym rat and year round workoutaholic so he is always in good shape. For a vet minimum, could be a good pickup.

CruzDude said:
He would bring defensive leadership to Kevin and Cisco and can backup the 1 and 2. At 6-6 he would be valuable against some of the big PGs we face. He is a gym rat and year round workoutaholic so he is always in good shape. For a vet minimum, could be a good pickup.
I was for it before we got Bonzi. Now I just don't think there's minutes. Doug, Garcia, and Martin would have been a good trio at the 2 though.

My first inclination, born of optimism following the Bonzi trade,was that we should sign Eddie House to backup Bibby since he plays so many minutes. But after some thought I'm now inclined to agree that signing Doug for the Vet Minimum may be a good move instead. If Bibby goes down we're left with House as our only PG and while Edde improved a lot last year I'm reluctant to put ourselves in that potential position. Signing DC instead would bring the obvious vet leadership and tutoring to the youngsters but also he's a 6'6" versitile player who can play the point quite well and brings a lot of intangibles and would probably be happy just to fill in as needed and where. Of course Rick would probably overuse him at the expese of KM and Cisco but they're still young enough to overcome it.

Doug can come in and provide some defense to the PG and SG postions, which is now non-existant with the Bobby trade. Doug is certainly not the same defender he used to be, but he is still a helluva lot better than Bibby in that department.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
No interest in Doug as a SG -- its time for the kids to get whatever minutes they can backing up Bonzi, and Doug would just be in the way.

Still interested in the idea of calling him our backup PG however, if he'll sign for the vet min. When we are seriously looking at Eddie House and various other scrubs as other possibilities, even an old Doug could fill that spot just as well, give us better size, still have alittle defense left in him, experience in the system, and a little leadership. Also could gift Peja with an extra two points a game off that top of the key pass to the basekline cut.

No longer willing to squish any young talented player for Doug, but at a spot where we currently have nobody, why not? He's not a good starter anymore, but I'll still take him over Milt Palacio any day of the week.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I think having him on the bench as a backup for Bibby could be a real benefit, especially if we get him for the vet minimum.

The knowledge he could give to both Martin and Garcia could prove invaluable.

Yes

I really like the idea of resigning Doug as a backup PG. He'd be a big help in the locker room (especially since Vlade won't sign for the min to be the 15th man) and if healthy, I think he still has enough game to play the point, where he doesn't need to score as much.

I think he'd go for the vet min with incentives* based on playing time. ie If Bibby goes down (God forbid) and Doug plays a lot, he gets paid for it. I'd still sign Eddie House just for insurance, and despite what others have posted, I think late in the season he'd turned the corner on the offense and led the "small ball" team to some big 2nd quarters.

* I'm not sure if this is allowed in the NBA. Can a more knowledgeable poster advise?

If Doug is released it wouldn't suprise me at all if he was signed to be our backup PG b/c he knows our offense like the back of his head, so if he is released I think that he will be a King next year.

An article from a rumor page that mentioned him being waived (sorry don't have the link) said Doug wanted to go to Seattle (his hometown) or Sacramento.

Doug is a good mentor for the young players, still plays mentally good defense even if his body can't keep up and would instantly become the best passer on the team. If on the cheap, I'd make the move.

swisshh said:
Doug is a good mentor for the young players, still plays mentally good defense even if his body can't keep up and would instantly become the best passer on the team. If on the cheap, I'd make the move.
for the minimum, sure. not only does he bring the experience and all of the good stuff we've come to appreciate in his game, it would be a big step towards soothing some of the negative enrgy emanating from the fans recently.

i miss his rocket one-handed passes to the backdoor cutter.

Bricklayer

Like I've said, I support the idea of Doug as a backup PG. But EVERY time Rick brings him in at OG ahead of the kids I am going to be grating my teeth. Yhere is the one fear and the downside. Knowing this coach, do you think he can really resist playing one of his old trusted stalwarts over two kids who need minutes to develop? Neither do I.

I don't think you can separate Christie the SG and Christie the backup PG. If he signs, and assuming he's healthy, then he will be the third guard behind Bibby and Wells, and he might even play alongside them when Stojakovic sits down. The Kings will be winning enough games that Adelman will want to play his veteran. I'd be surprised if it happened any other way.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

uolj said:
I don't think you can separate Christie the SG and Christie the backup PG. If he signs, and assuming he's healthy, then he will be the third guard behind Bibby and Wells, and he might even play alongside them when Stojakovic sits down. The Kings will be winning enough games that Adelman will want to play his veteran. I'd be surprised if it happened any other way.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.
This post is absolutely right, if Doug did come in he would autimatically jump past Kevin or Garcia in the rotation.

Entity

Hall of Famer
I have been thinking the same thing all day since i read it on Hoopshype. Doug is the perfect scenerio for the backup PG he will bring size and defense and guess what offense lovers. He already knows the offense. Another upside for Doug is if we sign him to the vet minimum we only pay half that. The league pays the other half when you sign a vet to minimum. Not to mention Doug still gets the 8.2 mil he is owed from Orlando.

Lets refresh Doug gets paid almost 10 mil dollars and we only pay him 750k of it. Doug brings defense and size to our pg spot in a roll he can definatley accept. Doug gets what he wants in finishing his career with Sacramento. Plus Doug is classy he plays for the love of the team and the game and that is something i would accept on any given day over any other backup PG we could possibly get. And lets say somebody gets hurt well guess who can fill in nicely.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Entity said:
I have been thinking the same thing all day since i read it on Hoopshype. Doug is the perfect scenerio for the backup PG he will bring size and defense and guess what offense lovers. He already knows the offense. Another upside for Doug is if we sign him to the vet minimum we only pay half that. The league pays the other half when you sign a vet to minimum. Not to mention Doug still gets the 8.2 mil he is owed from Orlando.

Lets refresh Doug gets paid almost 10 mil dollars and we only pay him 750k of it. Doug brings defense and size to our pg spot in a roll he can definatley accept. Doug gets what he wants in finishing his career with Sacramento. Plus Doug is classy he plays for the love of the team and the game and that is something i would accept on any given day over any other backup PG we could possibly get. And lets say somebody gets hurt well guess who can fill in nicely.
In addition, I don't see there being any kind of ego problem if Doug comes back to play back-up. He has, as Entity said, always been about TEAM. He might actually be a pretty good influence on the "kids"...

Bricklayer

Entity said:
This is quite possibly the first ever no lose situation for the Kings Franchise
No, there is still the "lose" of us never knowing whether the kids can play because Bibby/Bonzi/Doug is the three guard rotation and Kevin and Cisco are reduced to garbage time. Doesn't mean you don't do it, but a definite downside.

VF21 said:
In addition, I don't see there being any kind of ego problem if Doug comes back to play back-up. He has, as Entity said, always been about TEAM. He might actually be a pretty good influence on the "kids"...
And he brings some much needed leadership and locker room presence :)

Entity said:

Great post