Who's should be retired?

Who's number should be retired out of these players?

• #4 Chris Webber

Votes: 72 48.0%
  • #10 Mike Bibby

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • #13 Doug Christie

Votes: 8 5.3%
  • #16 Peja Stojakovic

Votes: 7 4.7%
  • #21 Vlade Divac

Votes: 57 38.0%
  • #24 Bobby Jackson

Votes: 1 0.7%

• Total voters
I'd have to say that Doug Christie should get his number retired because his all was in Sacramento. Sac wasnt just where he played ball and lived, it was a part of him...and it alwayz will be.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
You can't vote for more than one! I would bet good money more than one will have their number up in the rafters when its all said and done.

Vlade will be first, since he's closer to retirement. Then Chris. I'm not sure the others will end up getting their jersies retired at all.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I'll go on record right now as saying this isn't going to end well.

Chris? Maybe.
Mike? Possibly, depending on the rest of his time here.
Doug? No.
Peja? Probably not.
Vlade? Hell yes!
Bobby? Probably not.

EDIT: I have to agree with the idea that people should have been able to vote for more than one. This isn't really an accurate assessment of anything other than people's favorite KINGS-ERA player.

I would say Vlade will for sure.

I doubt Cwebb will. Bibby and Peja are still playing so the jury is out as they have plenty of years left.

No on DC and BJax

As much as an impact these guys made in Sacramento Kings history, I see very few of their jerseys getting retired.

Vlade - Yes. Definitely.
Chris - Possibly.
Doug - No. As much as I like Doug's style, he wasn't the leader.
Peja & Mike - If they can pull off the first NBA Championship in the Sacramento era, I'd say yes.
Bobby - My favorite player. Great 6th man. Reture his jersey? No.

If Vlade will, and I have no doubt he will, then Chris will. Like him now or not, he was the face of the Franchise for our best years ever. He will be given that token of respect.

Vlade-yes.
Chris-yes, but probably not because of what happened in the end and the fact that the Maloofs seem to have a strong disliking of him.
Mike-depends on how things end, but how they are going now, no.
Peja-maybe if something huge happens later, but no. More no than Mike.
Doug-no
Bobby-no

captain bill said:
Chris-yes, but probably not because of what happened in the end and the fact that the Maloofs seem to have a strong disliking of him.
Where is it documented that the Maloofs have a strong disliking of Webber? If I remember right, it was the Maloofs who put that goofy billboard sign on I-80 asking Chris to stay!

O

ONEZERO

How can some of u say that chris won't get his jersey retired? He was the face of the franchise for the best years this team has ever seen. He's a for sure lock at getting his jersey reitired as is the same for vlade. Mikes in for sure only if he stays a king for a good amount of his career and continues to play phenomenal like we've seen over the years.... Peja is a big question mark..... Doug is also a question mark..... Bobbys my second favorite player on the kings, but he is also a question mark.

Last edited by a moderator:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Webber was the face of the franchise. He was also very controversial at the end. That could possibly keep his number out of the rafters, as far as some people are concerned. It's not the same as Vlade, who was pretty much beloved by one and all.

Tomcat said:
Where is it documented that the Maloofs have a strong disliking of Webber? If I remember right, it was the Maloofs who put that goofy billboard sign on I-80 asking Chris to stay!
The Webber trade. Times changed, and they wanted desperately to ship him off. After the trade numerous reports came out saying that everyone in the offices celebrated and were happy that they finally found a taker for him. I actually don't know how much of that is the Maloofs personally or the organization around them, but there it is. Times changed and they felt that they did not want Webber around anymore. Personally I think that no doubt Webber's number should be retired, but that is a very "political" issues with fans of this franchise.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
captain bill said:
The Webber trade. Times changed, and they wanted desperately to ship him off. After the trade numerous reports came out saying that everyone in the offices celebrated and were happy that they finally found a taker for him. I actually don't know how much of that is the Maloofs personally or the organization around them, but there it is. Times changed and they felt that they did not want Webber around anymore. Personally I think that no doubt Webber's number should be retired, but that is a very "political" issues with fans of this franchise.
Whoa. That's making a mountain out of a mole hill. Everyone in the office celebrated? I'd certainly like to see your source for that information.

EDIT: And, for the record, reading someone's post on another message board is NOT considered a credible source. If the Kings organization celebrated with the trade of one of the players who put this bleeping franchise on the map, I am very disappointed with each and every one of them. That would be about as classless an act as I have ever heard about.

Last edited:
why would vlade's get retired and not webber? i don't see how you could have 1 and not the other, especially vlade and no c-webb.

Okay, maybe everyone celebrated is a smidgen of an exaggeration. I have a tendency to do that. More like some people in the front office were relieved that they finally pulled off the trade, not like they wheeled out the stripper cake or anything. I saw it on some bee article posted here, I believe, so some diligent use of the search key might find the source of this.

*waits for someone to take initiative*

I love all these players. I'd retire them all.

Maybe in time the memory of what they gave to me in terms of basketball thrills will diminish and i will be more wrapped up in the Kings of the day. But this team as mentioned in the poll is still to recent and they're still my heroes.

I don't know. . .they retired Mitch Freaking Richmond's number, so anything could happen. I would think it goes something like this:

Chris>Vlade>Doug>Bibby>Peja>Bobby

Vlade will retire first, but I would wait a couple years with him. If he stays on with the Lakers franchise, then no freaking way should we retire his jersey.

I think Chris is automatic, especially considering the fact that Richmond is up there. Chris is THE guy who turned this franchise around. Many players had a hand in it, but he was the pillar of the franchise.

I am quite partial to players like Doug, and I think it would mean the most to him. If we had won a title, his number would be automatic. As is, I would still put it up there to signify what a city like Sacramento is really about.

Bibby and Peja have a ways to go, and Bobby doesn't have a chance.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Vlade and Chris will both get theirs retired pretty much automatically. Too important in the history of the franchise. And yes, Chris is a no brainer as one of the three or four best players to ever put on a Kings/Royals jersey and the defining player for one of the most successful periods in the franchise's history. Not even close, political or not.All of the rest of the guys have a claim, but you don't just retire numbers willy nilly or you soon wouldn't have any to retire. That leaves Doug and Bobby out in the cold, beloved or not. Bibby is also on the outside looking in at the moment. I get the feeling Peja may be forced down our throats by management, and they may force the idea of him retiring as a King regardless of what it costs us on the court or off. If that is the case, and he is still here in 5 years, it will also force the retirement of his jersey. So he's got the best shot at being #3 on the list.

Bricklayer

Yoda said:
Vlade. Abso-freaking-lutely
Webb. Probably not.

The others really have no bussiness being discussed.
I think people get a little confused about things like this -- all is forgiven in a few years when it comes to number retirements. Whatever terms Webb left on, he WILL be retired. Same way Mitch was retired despite having zero success here and quitting on the team in his final year. Not really relevant. What IS relevant is that he was the face of the franchise. Same thing as Ewing in New York, Hakeem etc. etc. None left on good terms. Doesn't matter. When a player comes to define a franchise and an era, a very important era, that one is the no brainer. Vlade is actually the more exceptional case. I have absolutely no doubt he will be retired, but he's the odd one in that he was not that level of player.

Bricklayer said:
I think people get a little confused about things like this -- all is forgiven in a few years when it comes to number retirements. Whatever terms Webb left on, he WILL be retired. Same way Mitch was retired despite having zero success here and quitting on the team in his final year. Not really relevant. What IS relevant is that he was the face of the franchise. Same thing as Ewing in New York, Hakeem etc. etc. None left on good terms. Doesn't matter. When a player comes to define a franchise and an era, a very important era, that one is the no brainer. Vlade is actually the more exceptional case. I have absolutely no doubt he will be retired, but he's the odd one in that he was not that level of player.
Was Webb the face of the franchice during this era? He certainly was our best player, but I do not think he was the face of the franchise. Vlade was.
When I said probably not, I didnt even think about how he left. Other then being a two-time allstar, what did he do to distinguish himself enough to have his jersy retired and his name in the rafters for the remaining history of the franchise? He was great, dont get my wrong there. I still contend that the trade last season was stupid, even with his "condition". I just dont see how he has made himself as one who is worthy to jersey retire next to Oscar or even Mitch.

and what would poor Peja think if he saw Webb's name in the rafters, that might hurt his feelings. ;):D:p

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Yoda said:
Was Webb the face of the franchice during this era? He certainly was our best player, but I do not think he was the face of the franchise. Vlade was.
When I said probably not, I didnt even think about how he left. Other then being a two-time allstar, what did he do to distinguish himself enough to have his jersy retired and his name in the rafters for the remaining history of the franchise? He was great, dont get my wrong there. I still contend that the trade last season was stupid, even with his "condition". I just dont see how he has made himself as one who is worthy to jersey retire next to Oscar or even Mitch.
Uh...well, there is no real argument to be had if you don't recognize how special a player he was. When a guy puts up 27pts 11rebs 4.5asts, you MIGHT just have something pretty special on your hands. He was the best palyer the Sacramento Kings have ever had, and its not exactly coincidence that we were the best we'd ever been with him in town, and by a lot.

Sacto fans love Vlade. That's fine -- generally lovable guy. That should not be confused with "face of the franchise". Vlade may very well have been the face in Serbia, but in most of the NBA, it was unquestionable Chris Webber who gave us status and prominence. When he was at his peak, we were championship contenders. When he hurt his knee, abruptly the window slammed shut.

Last edited:
Stats are not everything. My thinking is this team excelled as a unit. They were renowned for their team chemisry. It seems to me that Vlade was the key to that. Media wise, he was an ambassador so to speak for the Kings. Sure he was renowned in Serbia but he was also given much credit nationally for his leadership on this club. Webb is a great stat guy but again I ask was he special enough to go up in the rafters. I think he needed a few more years.

Would I be completely against his number being retired? No. I would be hesitant however.

Maybe in Serbia Vlade was the face, but not in the NBA. Webber was the Kings. I agree with Brick, Webber should be retired, and probably will. But then fans will have this same debate all over again, but I guess that doesnt matter.

Bricklayer

Yoda said:
Stats are not everything. My thinking is this team excelled as a unit. They were renowned for their team chemisry. It seems to me that Vlade was the key to that. He was an ambassador so to speak for the Kings. Sure he was renowned in Serbia but he was also given much credit nationally for his leadership on this club. Webb is a great stat guy but again I ask was he special enough to go up in the rafters. I think he needed a few more years.

Would I be completely against his number being retired? No. I would be hesitant however.
You pretty much can NOT retire Vlade's numebr without retiring Webb's as well. That would just look silly. Vlade's a nice guy. He was also at best the #2 or #3 guy on the team. 12pts 8rebs. His biggest contribution actually may have been making the place home for Webb so Chris would step up and buy in. But when the two players' tenure's were coextensive, there is no way to sneak in and retire Vlade for being a nice guy, retire Mitch...for losing all those years, and then skip past Webb. People like to fool themselves with all that teamwork bunk. The fact is during our best years we DID have a superstar, and we were going to rise and fall with him. And did actually.

And I am SO sure of that fact that I would pretty much be willing to bet any amount of money on it, and I do not bet. The Webb's of the world always get retired after a run like that. The Vlade's rarely do, but Vlade is a special case. Would not even be entirely shocked, if Webb retires soon enough, for th two to go up together. Whether you like Webb or not is not really improtant -- when a player acheives that prominence at the same time that your franchise does, when the franchise rises and falls on his deeds or misdeeds, these things have a way of just happening. There would be far mroe questions if it did not.

It actually stuns me that there is even an argument about this. Did we all not witness the same rise from the depths of despair? Do some of you think that that would have happened on the strength of Vlade's 'niceness' alone?

This isn't an either/or argument, IMO. They both contributed in different ways, but there is little argument that Webber was the face of the Franchise. To dismiss what he helped to build here as mere stats is offensive to me.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
It amazes me how liking or disliking a player can sway our opinion of his greatness.

Chris Webber created the best year of the Kings. Vlade...nice, wonderful guy. CWebb...brought the Kings into contention. If we retired Mitch's #, there can be NO doubt that CWebb deserves the same accolades and more.

Last edited: