Who's should be retired?

Who's number should be retired out of these players?

• #4 Chris Webber

Votes: 72 48.0%
  • #10 Mike Bibby

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • #13 Doug Christie

Votes: 8 5.3%
  • #16 Peja Stojakovic

Votes: 7 4.7%
  • #21 Vlade Divac

Votes: 57 38.0%
  • #24 Bobby Jackson

Votes: 1 0.7%

• Total voters

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
He played for LA longer, and won a championship there. There is definately an argument for having his number retired in LA, though probably not as strong as the Sacramento argument. So why not both? Anyway, I think he does deserve to have his number retired in Sac - just not for two of the three reasons you listed. There's no argument he deserves to have his number retired somewhere.

hrdboild

Staff member
Ah sorry, I just went by what civija said and now I realize he just said that he went to the Finals, not that they won. I wasn't watching much basketball then. So whatever, he went to the Finals then. That's still farther than he got with the Kings (just barely).

hrdboild

Staff member
As it turns out you were right (in this case anyway), I just misread it. I accept all the blame. My letter of resignation is in the mail.

7th said:
It amazes me how liking or disliking a player can sway our opinion of his greatness.

Chris Webber created the best year of the Kings. Vlade...nice, wonderful guy. CWebb...brought the Kings into contention. If we retired Mitch's #, there can be NO doubt that CWebb deserves the same accolades and more.
very well said 7th

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
hrdboild said:
As it turns out you were right (in this case anyway), I just misread it. I accept all the blame. My letter of resignation is in the mail.
Resign? Oh no, mon ami. It is NOT that simple. You cannot resign. We force you to stick around so we can, at some point in the future, bring up this faus pax.

hrdboild

Staff member
I'll just take the initiative on this one. Nothing wrong with a little public ridicule, when it's for a good cause.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Wow. NICE move! For that, you get the coveted VF21 Fitting Achievement in Recognizing Temerity Award:

I would like to see Mike's jersey get retired...but he's still got too much in front of him for me to get my hopes up. Hopefully his will be retired among all the nominees :D

Chris of course
Vlade hopefully I'd like to see them retired together
Peja, Mike, Bobby, Doug, really too early to tell. I'd like to hope so but it's not likely.

hrdboild

Staff member
Umm, it started a week ago. It's the off season. Put two and two together. ;) Everyone has shifted over to the great SAR debate in the last few days though. Which hopefully is a sign that the future is taking some more of the focus off the past.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
And - AFTER THAT - we may talk about changing the team colors from red, white and blue to purple, black and silver...

Entity

Hall of Famer
Then maybe we could talk about how a well established Moderator and Kings Fan lost their mind the day Chris Webber got traded. Seriously I can read Piski's post and feel better about the kings then i can the Mods around here now a days. I was looking forward to getting home today and seeing that we signed SAR. Now if we do sign him i feel like i need to shoot myself.

Ryan@CU said:
What's the reasoning for people to vote Bibby over Peja? Peja's a MUCH better shooter than Bibby. My god, TNT compared Peja to Larry Bird. But, like others have said, it's way to early to tell. All i know is my #1 choice would be Webber then Vlade.
I'm with you on Webb & then Vlade, but as things stands, I think I'd take Bibby over Peja if we had to decide today. Yes, Peja's a better shooter, but Bibby's the guy who wants the ball (and we want to have the ball) when the games on the line, and to me, that's a big plus.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Entity said:
Then maybe we could talk about how a well established Moderator and Kings Fan lost their mind the day Chris Webber got traded. Seriously I can read Piski's post and feel better about the kings then i can the Mods around here now a days. I was looking forward to getting home today and seeing that we signed SAR. Now if we do sign him i feel like i need to shoot myself.
Yeah, I was crushed the day Webber was traded. I wasn't the only one. What's your point?

You love to dissect my posts. Did you read where I said I would love to be proven wrong about SAR? I have no problem with you being happy about SAR being signed. More power to you. And if he's wearing the uniform the day the season starts I will cheer just as loudly for him as I do any other King. I just DO NOT think he's the solution to our problems.

My comments about SAR are those of a 20-year KINGS fan. It doesn't matter if I'm a moderator or not, nor should it.

What's ironic is that YOU are the one talking about SAR in THIS thread, which is about who should be retired. You are the one who questioned why the thread was still going on.

What difference does it make to you if people are still posting comments about whose number they would like to see retired? If you don't like the thread, you can always move on. It might be easier than trying to find something to attack me about.

Last edited:
By far, Chris Webber and Vlade Divac's jerseys should be retire. Those two were the ones who made the Kings a household name. Before them, we weren't anything besides the Capital of California. I am not sure about Mike's or Peja's jerseys being retired because I am not sure if they will have an impact on the kings organization as webber and Divac have. Although i would want Doug and Bobby's jerseys retired, it is through personal reasons instead of basketball reasons.