Walton

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
No, I don’t believe I have.

I stand by what I said. If a player isn’t a franchise level player, or at least an all-NBA 1st or 2nd team type, most franchises aren’t going to cater to them.

To prove the point, the KINGS surely didn’t care what Buddy Hield wanted. They played him off the bench last season because that’s what they wanted. And that’ll likely continue if Bogie is re-signed.
And again, Buddy 1, Kings 0. Any way you can slice it, dice it, or put it back together the end result and how this team looked when the games mattered and what this coach did is staring us all right in the face. The only hope now is that Walton was just simply doing what he was told. That somehow, some way it was somebodys elses call almost every step of that way.

Pound, pound, pound, brick, brick, brick.

Don't get the obsession with mediocre 28 year olds. Bogdan does nothing for us going forward except keep us a treadmill team in the 11th seed; we need to get rid of the Vlade stink and part of it is getting off the treadmill team trajectory.
Don’t misunderstand me. I’m not touting Bogie as a great player. I’m aware of negatives. But he’s still a more skilled all-around player than Buddy Hield. Anyone seriously debating that just hasn’t been paying attention. Or is biased.

Buddy is basically a one trick pony. And one of the reasons he ended up on the bench in the first place was because he was becoming super streaky with his one trick.

EDIT: I neglected to acknowledge Buddy as a 2-trick pony. He’s great at bitching and whining and causing a distraction too.

I call shenanigans.

It’s a players league when the player is a superstar. Buddy Hield is not a superstar. In fact, Walton is doing the right thing with him. Bogdan is the superior player. It’s not Walton’s fault Hield’s contract is what it is. His job is to field the best lineups. Buddy’s lack of defense, ball handling and play making skills limit his effectiveness as a starter.

IMO, at this point in time, his best role is Lou Williams 6th man scorer off the bench.

He’s not a franchise level player. He’s not even the team’s best player. So if he doesn’t like it, tough.
Very true—its about superstars and some trusted vets. What I find interesting is the “player’s league” adherents don’t even consider the totality of their own statement. In this player’s league, do we think Buddy was removed from the starting lineup without Fox’s consultation? Or, that a trusted vet like Harrison Barnes was not asked for input?

And, in this player’s league, why is Buddy doing just about everything short of a public trade request? If the issue is Walton, well, that will clearly be resolved within the next 8-10 months, if not sooner. A player can wait out a coach without torching his local endorsement opportunities (as Buddy seems to be doing). Perhaps Buddy’s reasons for desiring a new team, in this player’s league, go beyond the coach.

https://sports.yahoo.com/nba-rumors-buddy-hield-seems-162336288.html

''You know in New Orleans sometimes I'd play the first quarter and play the third quarter and I don't see the second or fourth,'' Hield told reporters that was videotaped by the Sacramento Bee. ''It was inconsistent at times.
''But that just happens in (your) rookie season and you never know what you are going to get. So hopefully I come in here and get consistent time and show everybody what I can do.''

That's nothing. Gentry didn't use him right either at first though so there is that but prior to the trade things started turning towards Buddy's favor. I still don't count that as some major issue. Even Joerger wasn't a major issue despite him openly drawing the attention of the league and media himself after that Buddy shot. What's happening here is of a new level. This is getting close to Karl/Cuz territory. Buddy isn't Cuz though but not realizing what happened last season and why it happened and just waiting sure might turn him into something close. Problem here is you JUST SIGNED THE DUDE.

Now, if there are issues and they are going out of their way to bring in Gentry while sitting on Buddy and keeping Walton. Well, be scared Kings fans. Somebody is clearly sabotaging something here. Or this franchise just needs to change the teams name full on to the Sacramento Kangz.
Conceptually its the same beef that he has with Walton. Buddy is who he is.

Winning can cure all of this. Buddy is annoying, but until he flat out says he wants out, i wouldn't honor anything he wants right now out of frustration. Everyone in this organization should be pissed and frustrated right now, but the question will be: Will they use that as fuel to do and better? Or will they sit, pout and spite themselves in the process?

So what excactly is it that sets Buddy apart from players like Davis Bertans, Doug McDermott, Kyle Korver and other more or less one dimensional shooters?
We all know the game has evolved, making the 3pt shot extremely valuable.
But the Kings pay prime money for Buddy Hield and have to put up with his antics - meanwhile other teams find decent shooters for cheap or pay elite shooters mid level money.
From the outside looking in, its pretty funny how times and times again this franchise finds a way to shoot itself in the foot.

I find it interesting that Walton is getting a pass in his use of Buddy. If you were in Buddy's shoes and you knew the coach was asking you to do things you are not good at would you be sore at him?

For goodness sake coach! Run a scheme that gets Buddy an open look! At the very least the other team will be forced to put one of its best wing defenders on Buddy. And if that happens punish those defenders by running them into screens.

Don't have Buddy just bring the ball up the court like that is his forte! The man is a freaking shooting artist. Did you not see the Three Point Competition???

So what excactly is it that sets Buddy apart from players like Davis Bertans, Doug McDermott, Kyle Korver and other more or less one dimensional shooters?
But the Kings pay prime money for Buddy Hield and have to put up with his antics - meanwhile other teams find decent shooters for cheap or pay elite shooters mid level money.
From the outside looking in, its pretty funny how times and times again this franchise finds a way to shoot itself in the foot.
Buddy has a lot more layers to his game than those guys do.

Hield is a lot better than people think and he's more than just a spot up shooter. Joerger used him to the best of his abilities in his last year here. Bogdan will never be able to do what Hield did that year.

I know people are rightfully mad that he's acting like this but lets not minimize what he's capable of just because he's being annoying and has a coach who isn't the sharpest tool in the shed. This guy is so much more than a Korver or McDermott type when he's used correctly. What he will never be is a Beal. So I don't see the point in wasting years off this guy's career trying to make him into something he's not. He's proven he can be a 20ppg scorer without the ball constantly being in his hands. That's a valuable asset. A smart coach would just let him do that.

Buddy can get right back to the starting position he has his eye on, no problem. He just needs to score points, pass the ball, and not be a liability on defense. The huge contract he's benefitting from just amplifies his case for that starting spot, with effort and results from Buddy being all that's left to seal the deal.

I think we're seeing why these kinds of complaints are usually handled more discreetly. When fans see the conflict they go to Def Con 4, freaking out that the FO is squandering the opportunities of the talent, or alternately that the player is "a joke" who is getting overpaid obscene amounts of money to underperform and gripe a lot. All components of the organization lose when conflicts like these are aired in public, including the fans. I suspect this awareness is why agents are usually inclined/able to keep their clients communicating in a professional manner. Unless you're LeBron or Mikki Moore, the cost:benefit ratio of being a malcontent just isn't there.

Off-ball movement mainly. That's how he was able to get to 21 per on good efficiency. Getting out in transition, backdoor cutting, rushing to his spots on the floor. He's elite at it, and last year I believe logged the most miles run on the floor in the NBA.

I want to move on too but that's because Vlade locked us into being a treadmill team. But paying Buddy Hield instead going for Doug McDermott on the cheap isn't one of the reasons why the Vlade Divac era failed. In theory, Hield is exactly the person to put with this group.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Conceptually its the same beef that he has with Walton. Buddy is who he is.
Most players are who they are. It's the players that don't have the ego and/or don't care that you have to worry about.

We'll find out since now the hatchet man is in place. The question is whether or not his hatchet swings both ways and not only strikes Luke Walton but Buddy Hield as well. Vivek seems to like the scorched earth policy if the Karl/Cuz situation is any inclination LOL. Just to make it tougher is someone that Luke knows pretty well.

Last edited:

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Gentry turning down the 76ers right? Probably sees an opportunity as the next head coach.
But then again so did Igor. I'm sure Luke Walton is feeling really loved and all mushy right now, hahaha. In any event the Kings aren't done tempting fate yet apparently.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
I dont understand. We cant pay McClish a couple hundred grand a year, but we're going to throw 7 figures at an Associate Head Coach?
This is everything you see in an organization that is fractured into various camps not suffering financial woes. I just have no idea why the head of the one camp they appear to be decimating is still sticking around while their best scorer sulks. This simply isn't what winning franchises do. Shocker there. Now we get to see the survival skills of Luke Walton. He's already pissed off his second leading scorer and took some shots from his leading scorer after their season ended. It's a tough deal because it's hard to really do much of anything when you're in Lukes position. And even so, worst case they let him and you just set yourself back even more.

Love the Gentry hire! Nice

So much for that "no one wants to come to Sacramento" foolishness. We have nice young talent and Gentry should know that as well as anyone. We always gave his teams hell

Most players are who they are. It's the players that don't have the ego and/or don't care that you have to worry about.

We'll find out since now the hatchet man is in place. The question is whether or not his hatchet swings both ways and not only strikes Luke Walton but Buddy Hield as well. Vivek seems to like the scorched earth policy if the Karl/Cuz situation is any inclination LOL. Just to make it tougher is someone that Luke knows pretty well.
I read it as a bunch of tough love is coming Buddy's way. We'll see.

People are forgetting, Walton and Gentry were on the same Warriors staff. There's history there. Likely very positive history given what they accomplished during their overlapping years at GSW. Regardless, I hope it works.

20151023-Gentry-900.jpg

Picture taken from: https://www.nba.com/warriors/news/opening-night-excitement-20151023

Love the Gentry hire! Nice

So much for that "no one wants to come to Sacramento" foolishness. We have nice young talent and Gentry should know that as well as anyone. We always gave his teams hell
Gentry counts as "some one"? What has he done again? The fact that we gave his teams hell says more about his coaching prowess than it does about our team..

People are forgetting, Walton and Gentry were on the same Warriors staff. There's history there. Likely very positive history given what they accomplished during their overlapping years at GSW. Regardless, I hope it works.

View attachment 10193

Picture taken from: https://www.nba.com/warriors/news/opening-night-excitement-20151023
Better hope Steph Curry and Klay Thompson are walking through those doors then

Gentry counts as "some one"? What has he done again? The fact that we gave his teams hell says more about his coaching prowess than it does about our team..
We have good young talent, period. And he wasn't brought here to be our head coach, so bringing up his record is pretty irrelevant. He isn't here for X's and O's. If his one skill as a coach blends in well with Walton's, then im good. We'll see.

We have good young talent, period. And he wasn't brought here to be our head coach, so bringing up his record is pretty irrelevant. He isn't here for X's and O's. If his one skill as a coach blends in well with Walton's, then im good. We'll see.
No your point was that Gentry coming is proof that people do want to come to Sac. I mean, I assume by people you mean people that are qualified, wanted etc. And my point is Gentry hasn't done diddly squat, so his coming here doesn't suddenly prove that stars or star coaches are willing to come here.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer

View attachment 10193

That's why I said he knows him pretty well. Look, if the franchise is rolling out the red carpet for Luke after what they saw recently, well... it could still be that Luke is the mind they think he is, but betting odds are stacked pretty far the other way ATM. Then again, maybe this is still Vivek trying to scoop food up around the Warriors dinner table. Again, didn't work last time but we shall see.