Vote for the Sacramento Kings Dance Team (merged)

I need some help here folks. What exactly is a "slutty" picture? Which women can be called "sluts"? I don't want to put people in the wrong box while categoring them. :p

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
GoGoGadget said:
Not everything has to be reduced to a sexuality factor, but most things usually are.

As for the dance teams... sure, they've gotten more overtly sexual in the last few years. And, sure, they're a lot more about hot girls than actual talent these days. But, when were they ever about anything more than breaking up the monotony of a quarter break by bring out a few pretty girls to shake a little ***?

This whole ridiculous contest has been about the "slut factor" since the minute it started, regardless of who pointed it out first. If it wasn't, there would be clips of the girls dancing to vote on, instead of still photographs.

I, personally, am slightly bothered by the nature of this particular contest. Have been since it was first publicized. However, insinuating that a few comments by the male posters in this thread is, single-handedly, what made this contest about the objectification of women is a blatant exaggeration, and more than a little defensive.
Didn't say that. Didn't insinuate that. What I said was what I meant. Having known the mom of at least one Royal Court Dancer, I find it somewhat troubling that the whole group is now looked upon as something to be posed as slutty as possible to win some ridiculous contest.

And I also thought it was pretty telling that the whole "add more sluttiness" comment was made to begin with.

T

thesanityannex

The Kings dance team hotties are causing too much trouble on this board. I wish they would have lost in the first round.:p

DocHolliday said:
Actually go downtown...go to clubs....go to bars...go to shops.....they are sexy they are attractive and 65% of them are dressing kind of slutty. Not bad to look at, but no one I'd want to be mine. We are talking about a majority here, and we're talking about people that are in the age range of still being highly desireable by a large range of men.
I just got home from Arden Mall...seems a lot of "slutiness" was concentrated there this afternoon...maybe they'll be at the clubs tonight. ;)

I don't get it. Maybe because I am a soft Euro... I mean Eurotrash, but I don't see anything slutty about people (of either sex) (un)dressing up in revealing clothes.

Maybe there is a case to be made that young attractive women (more often then man) are objectified/exploited when trusted in front of cameras with barely a sweatband to cover up their private parts. Even then it troubles me more that that is perceived by some as "erotic" or "suggestive" - and it clearly is fopr some, there is an audience for it.

Sigh, we need Pedja or Webb back or this forum is going the way of Dodo. ;)

VF21 said:
Didn't say that. Didn't insinuate that.
Felt that way when I read it. If I misunderstood, I apologize.

VF21 said:
What I said was what I meant. Having known the mom of at least one Royal Court Dancer, I find it somewhat troubling that the whole group is now looked upon as something to be posed as slutty as possible to win some ridiculous contest.
I guess this is the part that confuses me -- is it a new thing for the dance team to be about sexuality? This "contest" is a bit more unabashed in forcing the sex issue, but it has always been there. Always.

VF21 said:
And I also thought it was pretty telling that the whole "add more sluttiness" comment was made to begin with.
You're right, that comment was indeed quite telling.

But not just because it was made, and not because it was made by a man -- because it is 100% accurate. If someone put up a picture of the dance team in pasties and g-strings, they'd win hands down.

The girls may be MENSA members who are all as sweet as apple pie, but this contest has never been about anything but voting on which team's dancers inspire the most wet dreams.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
GoGoGadget said:
...but this contest has never been about anything but voting on which team's dancers inspire the most wet dreams.
And, therein lies the entire problem, AFAIC. And it is not only the men wanting more "slut look" that bothers me. It is that young women don't really care that it degrades them...and all women...when they allow it.

6th said:
And, therein lies the entire problem, AFAIC. And it is not only the men wanting more "slut look" that bothers me. It is that young women don't really care that it degrades them...and all women...when they allow it.
Well, obviously.

The scope of that problem, however, makes this little dancer contest look like just the very tip of the degradation iceburg. And it's a problem that seems to be growing rapidly, unfortunately. I think that's why I have a hard time being shocked or surprised by the crass nature of this particular example of exploitation -- it was only a matter of time.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
GoGoGadget said:
Well, obviously.

The scope of that problem, however, makes this little dancer contest look like just the very tip of the degradation iceburg. And it's a problem that seems to be growing rapidly, unfortunately. I think that's why I have a hard time being shocked or surprised by the crass nature of this particular example of exploitation -- it was only a matter of time.
I think this might be, more than anything else, a carryover from my younger years.

Women have worked very, very hard to get to where they are now. I guess I'm just disappointed in this obvious step backwards...

I watched the game tonight and saw a "cheerleading squad" on the court for the Utah Jazz. I'm very sure their location had something to do with it, but those "dancers" and cheerleaders weren't just about pandering. They actually did some pretty complicated cheering routines.

I guess I just was fooling myself with the thought that the current dancers for the Kings and most other teams are about anything other than blatant sexuality. I'm old and senile, I guess. I just don't think everything "entertaining" has to be about sex.

Peace.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
6th said:
As much as I hate to interrupt a perfectly good argument, I have a question:

On whose onus is it to determine that these women are degrading themselves? Who decides? I mean, if they are not ashamed of what they are doing, and do not feel degraded by it, who are we to tell them otherwise? Are we the Thought Police? Thou shalt conform to my sense of modesty, or else?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I apologize to any and all for my clearly old-fashioned and out-moded ideas.

When I first heard about this contest, I actually was naive enough to believe it would be about the dance routines, etc. Silly moi...

I'll just bow out and go back to my knitting.

;)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Mr. S£im Citrus said:

On whose onus is it to determine that these women are degrading themselves? Who decides? I mean, if they are not ashamed of what they are doing, and do not feel degraded by it, who are we to tell them otherwise? Are we the Thought Police? Thou shalt conform to my sense of modesty, or else?
Hey, that's a little out there, isn't it? People should be able to express differing views without comments like Thought Police, etc. entering into it...

Would you prefer if sixth and I didn't say anything because our views don't agree with the majority? She and I grew up in different times. Things have changed drastically since she and I saw actual honest-to-God cheerleaders and songleaders... I don't think we should be reamed for our opinions.

VF21 said:
I think this might be, more than anything else, a carryover from my younger years.

Women have worked very, very hard to get to where they are now. I guess I'm just disappointed in this obvious step backwards...

I watched the game tonight and saw a "cheerleading squad" on the court for the Utah Jazz. I'm very sure their location had something to do with it, but those "dancers" and cheerleaders weren't just about pandering. They actually did some pretty complicated cheering routines.

I guess I just was fooling myself with the thought that the current dancers for the Kings and most other teams are about anything other than blatant sexuality. I'm old and senile, I guess. I just don't think everything "entertaining" has to be about sex.

Peace.
I think there may be a misconception here that I somehow support the contest or the hyper-sexuality of the dance teams in general. I don't. I'm pretty disgusted by it, actually.

Believe me, over the course of my life, I've been rather intimately and unpleasantly presented with the objectification of women in today's society. Certainly enough for this whole thing to rub me the wrong way (and, yes, I realize that very early in this thread I made at least one joke that could probably be looked at as a little crude and may somewhat contradict my current stance... sue me).

As for tonight's game in Utah -- there was an actual cheerleading squad that popped up from time to time. They looked quite young, possibly a local high school? The few times I caught a glimpse of the actual dance team, however, they were pretty scantilly clad and doing the typical dance team booty shaking. The first outfit I noticed was a tiny little skirt that was relatively harmless. The second, however, consisted of spandex pants and little sweatband sized shirts that were riding up in such a way that several of the girls almost gave the crowd a free show.

Mr. S£im Citrus said:

Ah, Slim.

'Tis a question I've wrestled with myself over the years and I still don't know that I've come up with a satisfactory answer.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
GoGoGadget said:
I think there may be a misconception here that I somehow support the contest or the hyper-sexuality of the dance teams in general. I don't. I'm pretty disgusted by it, actually.

Believe me, over the course of my life, I've been rather intimately and unpleasantly presented with the objectification of women in today's society. Certainly enough for this whole thing to rub me the wrong way (and, yes, I realize that very early in this thread I made at least one joke that could probably be looked at as a little crude and may somewhat contradict my current stance... sue me).

As for tonight's game in Utah -- there was an actual cheerleading squad that popped up from time to time. They looked quite young, possibly a local high school? The few times I caught a glimpse of the actual dance team, however, they were pretty scantilly clad and doing the typical dance team booty shaking. The first outfit I noticed was a tiny little skirt that was relatively harmless. The second, however, consisted of spandex pants and little sweatband sized shirts that were riding up in such a way that several of the girls almost gave the crowd a free show.
So the cheerleaders WEREN'T for the Jazz and there were other dancers?

Sorry, but I must have missed that part. Between doing the PBP and trying to fit bathroom breaks, trips to the kitchen, adding wood to the stove, etc. during the brief commercials, I guess I miss some of that stuff.

I'm bowing out of this before I get anyone else mad at me...

:(

VF21 said:
So the cheerleaders WEREN'T for the Jazz and there were other dancers?

Sorry, but I must have missed that part. Between doing the PBP and trying to fit bathroom breaks, trips to the kitchen, adding wood to the stove, etc. during the brief commercials, I guess I miss some of that stuff.
Yes, there was a Jazz dance team. I only noticed them a couple of times myself, but they were there.

VF21 said:
I'm bowing out of this before I get anyone else mad at me...

:(
I wasn't aware there was anyone mad at you.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
VF21 said:
Hey, that's a little out there, isn't it?
I don't know whether it is or it isn't; that's why I asked the question... The truth be told, my own opinion regarding the "dance teams" are not dramatically different from either yours or 6th's; in fact, that post was part of an ongoing process that I've recently undertaken to challenge my own paradigms, in this case, my own sense of modesty and decency.

Now allow me, please, to defend my use of the term "Thought Police," as I do not, in fact, think that my use of it was out of bounds: it was not used as an insult, nor was it intended as a personal attack... and, if it was, I would not have written in the inclusive... My use of "Thought Police" was an attempt to illustrate the fact that there is no universal value system, and without a means of enforcing a uniformity of morality, there really isn't any practical way to expect others to agree with what we think to be moral... Personally, I happen to be of the opinion that the clothes that these cheerleaders wear fits my personal definition of indecent, and I consider it to be a symptom of a dying society, along with a growing lack of manners, and dirty public restrooms... but, I could very well be completely wrong.

I guess my point is that, while I know what I consider my own moral compass to be perfectly calibrated, I have been making a conscious effort to try not to transpose my moral sensibilites onto others, which alleviates me of the distress of begrudging others for not meeting what I consider to be my high moral standards. This is not very easy for me, as it is counterintuitive to how I was raised, but I'm trying to puzzle it out...

VF21 said:
Would you prefer if sixth and I didn't say anything because our views don't agree with the majority?
I'm not at all sure that the two of you do not, in fact, agree with the majority; after all, the term "Moral Majority" did not self-actualize.

I think that the internet provides a very skewed picture of the world in general, and the United States in particular. I suppose if you were to look at this thread as a microcosm of society, one might get the impression that the two of you are in the minority, but I don't actually believe that this is the case; I think that it's more a matter of the two of you speaking out against a very vocal minority. It's not that fewer people agree with you; in this case, it's far more likely that most of the people that agree with you just don't feel like putting their two cents into this thread.

VF21 said:
... I don't think we should be reamed for our opinions.
I did not ream you for your opinion, and I wish that you would please stop being so defensive. I may have made the mistake of attempting to challenge your opinions, as well as my own, but that doesn't mean that I am against you, or that I am out to "get" you. For the most part, I agree with you but, as I asked before, if these "dancers" do not feel ashamed of their "dances," if they do not feel degraded, then maybe they shouldn't be... who decides? I mean, I may be of the opinion that Jennifer is a filthy, dirty, disgusting, brutal, bottom-feeding trash bag ho, but is it up to me to decide that she should consider herself to be one as well? For all I know, she considers herself to be "salt of the earth." Who's right?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Very well thought out and presented, IMHO.

There's a poem by Dylan Thomas that talks about dying but it could also be about the decline and fall of "civilization" as some of us grew up knowing it:

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

And you, my father, there on the sad height,
Curse, bless me now with your fierce tears, I pray.
Just as Thomas exorts us to "rage, rage against the dying of the light" I feel a need to rage against the decline and decay of some tenets that were once sacrosanct.

Edmund Burke said, ""All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." This is most likely a restatement of portions of Biblical lore: "When good men do nothing, they get nothing good done. To be good, one must do good. The Lord commands his people to do good (Luke 6:35; Eph. 2:10)."

I decry the tawdry nature of the dance teams much in the same manner I protest against calling Barry Bonds a hero.

I guess, to summarize, I rage against the dying of all that once seemed to be so clear, so understood - at least to me and those of my generation.

I have lived in interesting times. I have seen a President shot down in cold blood, I have seen man walk on the moon. I saw friends barely 18 years old go to war and give their lives without ever understanding what it was they were fighting for. I saw some of them come home and others return physically but still be gone mentally. I saw a gentle man gunned down because he dared to ask for the same rights as anyone else.

I have watched as technology grew from the miracle of a transistor radio to the mp3. I learned advanced mathematics on a slide rule; now slide rules are for museums. I learned to type on a manual Underwood, another candidate for the museum.

So many, many changes...and so many different philosphies, opinions, ways of communicating them, etc. Sometimes it boggles the mind.

In all honesty, to use your example, I don't think it's so much what Jennifer or any other dancer thinks of herself as much as what some of the fans are saying and thinking. It just struck me as very wrong that something like this should be so quickly reduced to "Which Dance Team is the Sluttiest?"... Shows a base quality that I would really like to think wasn't representative of most of us.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
VF21 said:
In all honesty, to use your example, I don't think it's so much what Jennifer or any other dancer thinks of herself as much as what some of the fans are saying and thinking. It just struck me as very wrong that something like this should be so quickly reduced to "Which Dance Team is the Sluttiest?"... Shows a base quality that I would really like to think wasn't representative of most of us.
Hrmm... in this particular case, I think that you're just expecting too much from young men... we are just men, after all...

Now, it may be equally symptomatic that young men, as part of their thought process, classify some young women as "sluts," but that's another soapbox entirely...

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Mr. S£im Citrus said:
Hrmm... in this particular case, I think that you're just expecting too much from young men... we are just men, after all...

Now, it may be equally symptomatic that young men, as part of their thought process, classify some young women as "sluts," but that's another soapbox entirely...
And that may be precisely true.

It's easy, especially on a sports message board, to fall into the habit of measuring others by how well they live up to or fail to meet your own expectations of them. Whether or not those expectations are even valid is, as you say, an entirely different soapbox.

;)

VF21 said:
And that may be precisely true.

It's easy, especially on a sports message board, to fall into the habit of measuring others by how well they live up to or fail to meet your own expectations of them. Whether or not those expectations are even valid is, as you say, an entirely different soapbox.

;)
See I don't even think what I said is a commentary on me as a person. I never said that's what *I* think. I said it's what needs to be done to WIN. This is a BS contest, but in competitive nature it would be fun to win either way. So, what I said is really a commentary on the sports fans that will patronize this competition as a whole.

While this ideal may not be why you're voting for the Kings squad it is what might sway some others, or put them over the fence. So, after looking at the Heat dancers who I think the Kings dancers will meet in the finals if they get there, I said to compete do this. If you want to win, play by the rules. If you're not willing to, don't even bother. You're just fighting yourself.

Mr. S£im Citrus said:

Well that is the problem (to me). For example, if a young, attractive girl goes out clubbing wearing strategically placed handkerchief, I assume it is because she wants to show off her assets so that she can attract that one man that she will like. Assuming that she would go with just anybody (i.e. a slut) is wrong.

I have two daughters. I will not tell them what to wear, but in time I will try to educate them on the extents of male (or is it societal?) hypocricy in this matter.

Wow .... guess I haven't been to this thread in awhile

On the other hand, this kinda stuff shouldn't surprise me ..

... but, this is America

More power to all of you :cool:

I have to admit that this thread has been quite entertaining and enlightening to read seeing as how it went from a "Vote for our dance team" thread to the debate on the objectification of women.

This is one of those times I'm so glad we have boys.

This is an interesting discussion if for no other reason that it exposes the massive hypocrisy and political correctness of polite society that attempts to define women and conceal some great and irrevocable realities of life.

Unfortunately, I spent decades of my younger life believing that most women actually believe what socially conservative women admonish on this issue. In fact, or more accurately in my opinion, the vast majority of women do not believe this stuff, and they never have.

Women create most of the world's sexual tension. Apparently, that is the way nature works. Like it or not, women routinely tantalize men, all the time, and almost everywhere. Women and lots of under-aged girls do everything they can to make themselves attractive to the opposite gender. No expense or effort is spared. If women can not generate sufficient attention just by appearance and conservativel behavior, they often become more aggressive. It IS in fact THE GAME.

The hypocrisy of feminist protestations is appaling. GGG is a perfect example. She seems to be very bright, educated, and worldly. Yet, she always displays avatars with sexy women. Avatars yield information about the poster. Angeline Jolee and the earlier avatar subject exude sexuality. By the way, I think it is a good thing.

The appearance, behavior, and role of women in society is practically the only thing that remains interesting and fun for most men. I also am convinced that most men like a little slutiness in their women.

IMHO. :)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
quick dog said:
This is an interesting discussion if for no other reason that it exposes the massive hypocrisy and political correctness of polite society that attempts to define women and conceal some great and irrevocable realities of life.

Unfortunately, I spent decades of my younger life believing that most women actually believe what socially conservative women admonish on this issue. In fact, or more accurately in my opinion, the vast majority of women do not believe this stuff, and they never have.

Women create most of the world's sexual tension. Apparently, that is the way nature works. Like it or not, women routinely tantalize men, all the time, and almost everywhere. Women and lots of under-aged girls do everything they can to make themselves attractive to the opposite gender. No expense or effort is spared. If women can not generate sufficient attention just by appearance and conservativel behavior, they often become more aggressive. It IS in fact THE GAME.

The hypocrisy of feminist protestations is appaling. GGG is a perfect example. She seems to be very bright, educated, and worldly. Yet, she always displays avatars with sexy women. Avatars yield information about the poster. Angeline Jolee and the earlier avatar subject exude sexuality. By the way, I think it is a good thing.

The appearance, behavior, and role of women in society is practically the only thing that remains interesting and fun for most men. I also am convinced that most men like a little slutiness in their women.

IMHO. :)
Oh good lord.

Women intentionally tantalize men and lure them with their wiles, as the poor innocent men try vainly to resist?

Sorry, QD, that's a crock. Your post is so testosterone-laden I almost had to step outside for a breath of air.

You obviously are pretty misinformed about "feminist protestations." What I was objecting to was the crass commericialism and exploitation of the "dance team" when, in reality, it was all about which scantily-clad women would garner the most votes from the NBA target audience of young, testosterone-driven males.

I worked for nearly 20 years in state government. I eventually achieved a position of some authority. I was 24 at the time, and was the youngest woman ever to reach that level. AND I know for a fact at least part of the reason was that I purposefully used the shortened version of my first name on some of the items I submitted. It took the gender bias off the table. I do not know to this day for sure that it made any difference but another woman, just as qualified but with a clearly feminine name, didn't even make the list. I was the only woman to do so. Coincidence? I think not.

So please, do not assume you know what it's like to have been in my shoes and do not insult me or belittle yourself by pretending to understand a situation you could not possibly relate to.

And for the record? G3 is about as far from a hypocrite as you could possibly get.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
DocHolliday said:
See I don't even think what I said is a commentary on me as a person. I never said that's what *I* think. I said it's what needs to be done to WIN. This is a BS contest, but in competitive nature it would be fun to win either way. So, what I said is really a commentary on the sports fans that will patronize this competition as a whole.

While this ideal may not be why you're voting for the Kings squad it is what might sway some others, or put them over the fence. So, after looking at the Heat dancers who I think the Kings dancers will meet in the finals if they get there, I said to compete do this. If you want to win, play by the rules. If you're not willing to, don't even bother. You're just fighting yourself.
Excellent points, Doc.

I stand corrected in my objection to the dancers getting more slutty to win.

You and the others who made similar comments are entirely right. This was NEVER about talent. It was always about "attributes" being undercovered and overexposed, etc. And if that's what the competition is about, then - as you said above - "If you want to win, play by the rules."

Peace.

I have been watching this thread, not sure if I wanted to jump in and inject some of my feelings on this. It is interesting to see comments and the different views from the different ages here. I think I fall somewhere in the middle of everyone’s age so I will provide you all with the answer :) LOL, it is interesting and shows the differences in generations. Not a bad thing at all just interesting. NO I am not calling anyone OLD! Because I am knocking on the back door of old! And in my kid’s eyes I am a geezer.

I wouldn't call them Slutty QD but I know where you’re going with that. I do agree with some of what you say. IMO I think dancers/dancing/cheer squad is meant to be very sexy, and to be a turn on. When I go to the games I watch the RCD and not just for the dancing. Does that make me a pig? or just a normal male? I am not looking down at them as some object. More as a Fantasy and IMO that is not only healthy but normal. I would ask any woman that is against the RCD being viewed as just dancers, have you ever looked at a guy, maybe some muscle bound stud … HMMM Barry Bonds seems to have a lot of muscles these days and go WOW look at him. Or for some “Selleck, Hasselhoff”. My wife is a Diesel guy and ya know what… WTH I have NO MUSCLES and nerdy hair! Should I be upset? Not really cause you should see the wallpaper on my PSP :) Fantasies are healthy and normal, there is nothing wrong with fantasies and we are not denigrating women by saying they are hot or sexy and men are not putting the progress of women back to 1910. Should women be sex objects? Hell ya and MEN are also…

Example #1
http://tinyurl.com/f8lf9

Example #2
http://tinyurl.com/pxh7j

And we could keep on going.

For one lets get the facts straight… all the guys here know they have no chance in hell meeting/dating one of them :) Another thing, sex is and will always be a part of our culture. If you think it’s bad here go to some other countries… IE Australia. Men in general treat women very well here, sure it could be better and should be but that goes across the board, race/height/weight/tatoo’s… I think calling a woman hot or sexy or going OMG look at her BLEEP is not putting females back 20 years. Again agree with QD’s point about women want to be seen… Same as men

In the same token when women get certain “operations” is it because of low self esteem? I don’t really think so, they want to look better, feel good about themselves and also have other people look at them and give them attention. Does a RCD do what they do in the outfits they have to wear just to dance? There are plenty of high quality dance studios around. In the end I think most of them would say they enjoy being watched / fantasized about by other men and enjoy looking sexy. They are not objects in my eyes.

EDIT: I wanted to add one more thing. I think dancing in general is very sexy and it goes back to the early days of dancing. Sex and sexy can be very respectable and thats how I view it. I think everyone is overreacting on both sides.

Last edited: