Tropical Island Video Game Draft -- Pending playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Back to me for my final 2 choices. This is tough.

I have some of the best FPS games ever made in Half-Life, Unreal, UT 2004, and Portal; Diablo and Dungeon Seige II for some hack-n-slash; some great arcade games in Disks of Tron, Elevator Action, Defender, Mario Brothers, and Frogger; MechWarrior 2: Mercenaries (walking) and Descent 2 (flying, with six degrees of freedom) for some assault with deadly weapons; Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit and MarioKart Wii for the racing adrenaline rush; a great RTS in Command & Conquer: Generals - Zero Hour; and SimCity 3000 and Chessmaster 10 to keep me busy with some non-combat brainwork.

How to round out my last 2 selections.....

I think I want another flying/combat game, and I think I'll take:

Star Wars Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike (Nintendo Gamecube) 2003

Pretty fun game, well rated, and lots of Star Wars goodness in it. tradepeja took II, I'll be happy with III.

My last game will be something to keep me active when I get tired of sitting:

Dance Dance Revolution Hottest Party 2 (Wii) 2008

This was just released last month so I haven't played this version yet, but I think it will be a great addition to the island. The Wii version adds additional gameplay modes for using the remote, etc, that the other consoles, etc, don't have.

Attachments

Last edited:
Now that Round 20 has started, and since this has been pretty slow moving, I'm encouraging all to start thinking about their rankings (rank everyone's list 1-15, excluding your own). Obviously you should wait until the end of the draft, but if anyone feels that 1 game will not make a difference, then please send them in whenever you can.

Since our kind and gracious commissioner has approved my last selection, we may proceed.

Little Big Planet -- PS3 (2008) -- Though this game is still four days from release, I was able to play a friend's beta copy (sadly only for about ten minutes) and this game is AMAZING. First time I've ever played a game that was so good I was happy I didn't have a PS3 (yet), as owning this game would surely transform me into a puddle of zombified gelatinous goo holding a controller. Luckily, zombified gelatinous goo puddles are perfectly acceptable on lonely islands. For those who don't know, Little Big Planet is a ridiculously cutesy, family friendly (in theory), side-scrolling platformer that has managed to get even hardcore gamers excited. Partly because everything is customizable. Everything. The game includes a level editor that gives you pretty much the same tools that the game itself was built with -- take a look at the homemade levels people are showing off on youtube already, some of them are amazing. While I won't have access to the game's online community on my island, or any new/user created content, I figure that the level editor will be enough to provide years of entertainment as is.

Video Review

Last edited:

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
The game greatly improved on the premise set by the original (for example, no more chariots destroying battleships!) while keeping intact the relative simplicity as you guide your civilization from prehistory to space flight.

Although there are only two official ways to win (Conquer the World or reach Alpha Centuari) there is a seemingly endless variety of ways to play focusing on military, culture, science, economy or as Slim hinted as his favorite, out right genocide.
Goodness knows I love me some bloody combat.

My friend ribs me all the time when we play BTS online, since I never accept capitulation; he wants to keep nations alive so that he can test out the advanced tech on them, but I can't hold back against the AI, and I'm not in the business of peace... I learned of peace from Edward Longshanks. ::cool:

SLAB

Hall of Famer
.Champions: Return to Arms --- PS2 --- (2005)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Champions:_Return_to_Arms

This is one of my favorite games of all time.
It is completely mindless. Has a non-existent storyline. You just wander to dungeons youre told to go to and kill everything in your path ala the Diablo series. That being said, I am a complete pack-rat in these types of games, and I want the biggest and best of everything the game has weapon and armor-wise. This game has 10000+ items that get randomly dropped by your enemies. I want it all. I want all my characters to have the best stuff! I just love collecting.
Everytime I pop this game in...It runs for a good night long before I even consider turning it off.

My grand finale....

Super Mario Kart (SNES)

Frankly a little surprised this was not taken. Checked and checked to see if in fact it had (and I just missed it), but couldn't find a taker. So here I am. Many a wasted hours with friends when I was young and foolish.
Venom took it in round 7 ... you really think I would have taken Double Dash over this :)

Although it was months ago, so maybe the statute of limitations is up

Last edited:
Venom took it in round 7 ... you really think I would have taken Double Dash over this :)

Although it was months ago, so maybe the statute of limitations is up
statueof limitations :p

It will soon be 24 hours after AleksandarN's pick, so you may go ahead with your pick if you wish once the time is up. I will wait on a replacement from bdouble

Since it's now technically my turn, and I'm eager to bring my role in this draft to a merciful end, here's my pick and the first and only arcade game on my roster.

Soul Surfer - 2002 - Arcade

This is basically a surf arcade version of the Tony Hawk series.

For my final pick:

Bejeweled 2 Deluxe (2004) - PC

I love this game and has spent countless hours playing it. It is actually one of the few games that I play with my wife(she's really not that into playing video games.). Sometimes we stay up late at night(even on a working night) trying to pass each other's score.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
statueof limitations :p

It will soon be 24 hours after AleksandarN's pick, so you may go ahead with your pick if you wish once the time is up. I will wait on a replacement from bdouble
Am I missing a joke? You do know that it IS "statute of limitations", right?

Warhawk

Staff member
I just remembered one game I should have included and completely forgot about because it was so long ago.

Ooops.

I'll try to remember it in the post-draft wrap-up.

I just remembered one game I should have included and completely forgot about because it was so long ago.

Ooops.

I'll try to remember it in the post-draft wrap-up.
Yeah, my list would probably look a bit different if I had a better memory.

I'm expecting to see the rest of everyone's lists when this is all over. I got a hefty one.

and finally pick #20...I'm a bit weak on sports games and first person shooters, so I could have gone in a couple of different directions. I'm sticking with the classics, and taking the 5th best selling Playstation 2 game of all time. I'll be sneaking and sniping to my hearts content!

Pick #20 Metal Gear Solid 2 Sons of Liberty (Playstation 2) 2001

[yt=MGS2 Review]lvcOEaOPRMg[/yt]

More: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_Gear_Solid_2:_Sons_of_Liberty

Am I missing a joke? You do know that it IS "statute of limitations", right?
Part of the problem of typing things out ... I had already reached my sarcasm smiley face quota for that particular post ;)

Kramer: Anyway, it's been two years. I mean isn't there like statue of limitations on that?

Jerry: Statute.

Kramer: What?

Jerry: Statute of limitations. It's not a statue.

Kramer: No, statue.

Jerry: Fine, it's a sculpture of limitations.

Last edited:

Warhawk

Staff member
Ah, thank you. I was one of the three people on the planet apparently who wasn't a regular watcher of Seinfeld. ;)
Yeah, me either. Saw some episodes now and then, and liked them, but never seemed to put forth the effort to catch them on any regular basis.

Too darn busy with college and work.

Status
Not open for further replies.