Tropical Island Video Game Draft -- Pending playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
"Chessmaster XI"? Is that the exact same game?

think so -- same picture.

There was Chessmaster 10, and then a few years later they came out with Chessmaster: Grandmaster Edition, which would be XI. XI was actually near identical with X (it is a thousand year old game after all) except for some additional stuff from Josh Waitzkin (semi-retired American Grandmaster, subject of Searching for Bobby Fischer).

Last edited:

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
"Chessmaster XI"? Is that the exact same game?
Ooops - man do I need to look closer at these. Sorry. I'll go with a previous version then - Chessmaster 10th edition.

Last one I played was Chessmaster 3000, I think, and was looking for the newer vesion. For some reason it didn't click (and I didn't go back and check) that Brick's was the same series. I think the plungers threw me off.... :eek:

Attachments

Last edited:

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
I think my list is lacking in dancing pandas and general insanity, so...

Katamari Damacy -- PS2 (2004)

[yt=This was enough to get me hooked]jpFFzWPzA2c[/yt]
Man, the things I miss out on by not having a PS2. This is bizarre. Awesomely bizarre.

Neato - I'm up

NBA Showtime: NBA on NBC (Arcade or nothing thanks)

Basically NBA Jam 2.0. I spent many an hour on this game at the arcade (when we actually went to arcades).

Supreme Nostalgia: Check
High quality side-scrolling beat'em up: Check
Heroes in a Half Shell: Quadruple Check

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III: The Manhattan Project - 1992 - NES

There are only a handful of side-scrolling beat'em ups that have ever maintained my interest. The Simpsons, Battletoads, The Turtles Arcade game and a collection of yet-to-be-drafted classics are it.

But this one leaves them all in the dust. And perhaps it was simply this title's ability to fuse so many elements of the Turtles' universe into a single game that excited me, considering it came at the tail end of the Turtles' prime. But this was much more than just beating up a continuous wave of infinite, repetitious baddies.

The Fearsome Foursome take down The Foot Clan, Rock Soldiers, Mousers (despite Baxter Stockman's absence) and a variety of other enemies from the Turtles universe in a collection of stages including the required Sewers, New York Streets and Technodrome levels to Key West Beaches, Neon-lite Rooftops, a Submarine and Krang's spaceship.

But the Bosses and Mini-bosses are the true highlight as the turtles square off against the usual suspects (Bebop, Rocksteady, Krang, Shredder) fan favorites (Slash, Leatherhead, Groundchuck, Dirtbag) and those exclusive to the second movie (Tokka, Rahzar, Super Shredder) which had come out less than a year prior.

My only real complaint with the title (other than never understanding "why" Krang and Shredder decided to levitate Manhattan island) was the fact that my all-time favorite turtles baddie, Triceraton (or "a" Triceraton if you want to be specific) while being prominantly displayed on the cover, was inexplicably absent from the actual game.

Pick #18, and I'm going for infinite replayability here. This is a brand new game that a friend of mine downloaded, and it blew my socks off! It is similar to Civilization, but you can begin your campaign at any time in the races history, from a single celled organism swimming around a pond, dodging diatomes, bursting air bubbles, chasing food, and avoiding mean predators, to a multicellular creature trying to survive, find food, and a mate, to a colony of beings competing with other colonies for dominance, resources, and space, to a space age society attempting to colonize other planets. Really well done game play that is infinately adaptable and extremely cool graphically and creativly. I highly recommend checking out this game!

Pick #18: Spore: Galactic Edition (PC) 2008

[yt=Spore Trailer]jVH9Q8M8eaQ[/yt]

More: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spore_(game)

Last edited:
I select WWF Wrestlefest for the arcade (1991)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WWF_WrestleFest

I picked this game because, honestly, this is the best Wrestling game ever devised. Simple? Yes. Button smashing? Absolutely. Awesome late 1980's era wrestlers? YES! You can play as Demolition (the tag team), Earthquake, Hulk Hogan, Ultimate Warrior, and many more... this game, to me, has incredibly fun gameplay and I have played it over and over and over. Just good old fashioned brawling... no fatalites (though there are special moves), no gore, no blood, just unrealistic violence WWF style! Oh yeah, the end boss is the Legion of Doom!

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member

I picked this game because, honestly, this is the best Wrestling game ever devised. Simple? Yes. Button smashing? Absolutely.
Awesome, awesome game. I never understood how to make most of the moves work, but I enjoyed mashing those buttons with the requisite force and repetition. Maybe that's why I always lost.

Warhawk

Staff member
Pick #18: Spore: Galactic Edition (PC) 2008

Nice choice. I haven't played it yet, and don't know if I will, due to the nasty DRM attached to the game. From wiki:

Spore uses a modified version of the controversial[47][48][49][50] digital rights management (DRM) software SecuROM as copy prevention, which requires authentication upon installation and when online access is used.[51] This system was announced after the originally planned system met opposition from the public, as it would have required authentication every ten days.[52] Additionally, EA released the game under a policy by which the product key of an individual copy of the game would only be authenticated on up to three computers.[53] In response to customer complaints, this limit was raised to five computers.[54] After the activation limit has been depleted, EA Customer Service will reset the activation count on a case-by-case basis.[55]
As a result of the protection scheme, around 90% of the reviews on Amazon.com, nearly 3000 individual reviews, have given Spore one star, the lowest rating. Electronic Arts cited SecuROM as a "standard for the industry", and Apple's iPod song DRM policy as justification for the control method.[56] Former Maxis developer Chris Harris labeled the DRM a "screw up" and a "totally avoidable disaster".[57]
The SecuROM software was not mentioned in the Software license agreement versions of the game purchased online. An EA spokesperson stated that "we don't disclose specifically which copy protection or digital rights management system we use [...] because EA typically uses one license agreement for all of its downloadable games, and different EA downloadable games may use different copy protection and digital rights management.”[58]
Despite the use of DRM, Spore has been cracked, bypassing the copy protection mechanism. The game was illegally distributed over BitTorrent file sharing protocol four days before its retail release, and has been downloaded over 500,000 times - and is now on its way to becoming the most online-shared game in history.[59]
In response to reaction over Spore's DRM, Frank Gibeau, president of EA games, announced that maximum install limit would be increased from 3 to 5 and that it would be possible to de-authorize and move installations to new machines, citing the need to adapt their policy to accommodate their legitimate customers.[60][61]
On September 22, 2008, a global class action law suit was filed against EA, regarding the DRM in Spore, complaining about EA not disclosing the existence of SecuROM, and addressing how SecuROM runs with the nature of a rootkit, including how it remains on the hard drive even after Spore is uninstalled.[62][63][64]

I picked this game because, honestly, this is the best Wrestling game ever devised. Simple? Yes. Button smashing? Absolutely. Awesome late 1980's era wrestlers? YES! You can play as Demolition (the tag team), Earthquake, Hulk Hogan, Ultimate Warrior, and many more... this game, to me, has incredibly fun gameplay and I have played it over and over and over. Just good old fashioned brawling... no fatalites (though there are special moves), no gore, no blood, just unrealistic violence WWF style! Oh yeah, the end boss is the Legion of Doom!
Haha, nice! I couldn't remember the name of this one.

Warhawk

Staff member
On my island I'd only need it on one computer, and the internet thing wouldn't come up either...I'm good with it:).
Heh - that would mean you couldn't play at all without the DRM being able to connect to the main server and verifying the install. ;)

Just giving you a bad time, but I just try to avoid personally playing games with very restrictive DRM, especially those with rootkits, etc. Doesn't meant the game isn't good!

Awesome, awesome game. I never understood how to make most of the moves work, but I enjoyed mashing those buttons with the requisite force and repetition. Maybe that's why I always lost.
Ever hear of MAME? I went home and played this last night on my home PC and made it through the Royal Rumble as Million Dollar Man on 2 quarters! Million Dollar Dream rules!

argh, I sorry. Got the PM, hadn't decided on my pick, then forgot about it.

Here's another game for the GameCube that I played incessantly. If you can't tell by my list already, I was and am a huge GameCube fan. It has, by far, the most underrated line up of games on any console ever, maybe only slightly matched by the Dreamcast. This game is the pinnacle of the series so far, and while some might prefer the original or the 64 version for nostalgic reasons, this version is just too polished to deny.

F-ZERO GX (2003) - Nintendo GameCube

Really, the only thing this SEGA and Nintendo collaborative masterpiece is missing is a course creator. It came jam packed with dozens of characters and ships, mind-blowing levels, a ship creator, a full-fledged single player mode, some of the best graphics ont he Cube, and hours worth of challenges, time trials, and secrets to unlock. I've had this game for 5 years, still play it off and on and I still haven't beat every single level, challenge, cup, and trial on very hard. This game is constantly ranked by video game mags and sites as one of the hardest games of the modern gaming era and they are spot on. It will definitely keep me company on Island Peja.

argh, I sorry. Got the PM, hadn't decided on my pick, then forgot about it.

Here's another game for the GameCube that I played incessantly. If you can't tell by my list already, I was and am a huge GameCube fan. It has, by far, the most underrated line up of games on any console ever, maybe only slightly matched by the Dreamcast. This game is the pinnacle of the series so far, and while some might prefer the original or the 64 version for nostalgic reasons, this version is just too polished to deny.

F-ZERO GX (2003) - Nintendo GameCube

Really, the only thing this SEGA and Nintendo collaborative masterpiece is missing is a course creator. It came jam packed with dozens of characters and ships, mind-blowing levels, a ship creator, a full-fledged single player mode, some of the best graphics ont he Cube, and hours worth of challenges, time trials, and secrets to unlock. I've had this game for 5 years, still play it off and on and I still haven't beat every single level, challenge, cup, and trial on very hard. This game is constantly ranked by video game mags and sites as one of the hardest games of the modern gaming era and they are spot on. It will definitely keep me company on Island Peja.
Yeah I love the F-Zero games. Almost took one of them with my last pick, but decided I didn't really have room to squeeze them in. I never played this one despite owning a gamecube, but the first 2 were great.

Damn, nice choice kings4lyfe, I completely forgot about the Driver games. The sequel was the better one though.

On to my pick, time for another favorite of mine, from probably my favorite system.

Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest (1995) - SNES

Review

I love the DKC series, and am surprised that none of them were taken. Many will say that the original is probably the best one, but I actually found that to be the worst of the 3. It just wasn't as fun as the others. This is the one that got it completely right IMO. I still play this game even today.

[yt=DKC2 Level]wYh4Fdu4_t4&feature=related[/yt]

Last edited:
My pick:

The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons ~ GBC 2001

Oracle of Seasons is one of two reasons that I'd rather play games than watch movies, for the most part. This was incredibly involving, to the point where I might end up wasting a lot of "valuable" time playing it again and again. That this game was portable is the coolest thing ever (at the time.)

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
Per SacKings7 request, I am making my next pick:

Mutant League Football (1993) - Sega Genesis

Total awesomeness! I loved playing this game and watching players explode. Or be thrown into space.

Status
Not open for further replies.