Rumor: Thompson & Garcia for #2

I know a lot is made of us not usually picking up players we don't workout, but did Thabeet ever work out with us? I don't remember him doing so.... In any event it'd be a toss up between Thabeet and Rubio at the #2 slot, because the other won't be there after the Thunder pick... I can't personally see trading JT and Garcia away to grab Thabeet so it would have to be for Rubio.

As far as the trade goes, I won't mind it... I like JT, hope he stays with us but if GP and the front office have something else in mind that might net us another great PF in return then I would be happy with that... I guess this goes back to the PF trade dream because I would almost bet that #4 would be traded and probably with KMart if we want a Chris Bosh or Amare... Alternatively though we could always go back after Josh Smith and offer ATL #4 for him....
Rubio/Udrih
KMart/Mccants
Noci/Greene
JSmooth/Diogu
Hawes/??
Wouldn't exactly hurt my feelings with that roster, probably still headed for a .500 season to start with but we'd have a mix of veterans and young guns. And if the other trade rumor that has been going around of Indy's #13 for our #23 and #31 are true, we could easily grab a Clark or Mullens at 13...

#2 for Garcia and Thompson? Maybe if they add Darko to that mix.....

Then we select Thabeet with #2 and hopefully OKC sticks with Harden so we can still pick Rubio at #4.

Then resign McCants and maybe Diogu too.

In that case we can move either Hawes or Darko at PF and still boost one of the tallest young and mobile frontlines with the addition of Thabeet. Except for those scrappy offensive rebounds we won't miss Thompson too much. And if something goes wrong, Darko is a big ender (close to 8M) which will be a great combo with KT's expiring to make us still good player of the 2010 FAs.

McCants has proven he can backup Martin well and actually exposed Garcia a bit having much cheaper salary. And with Garcia shipped, Donte will merit more time at SF rather than being a 3rd string SF.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Don't get so personal Baja—you are out of line to insult my officiating experience. I know you get intimidated by the newbies here but there is no need to get emotional and flustered about it.

My reply to your Joe Barry Carroll post was 100% sarcastic. If you couldn't figure that out, then sorry I can't help you. You did however try to make us think that JT could someday become as good as Robert Parish, which, of course, is ludicrous.

I can’t wait for your next “witty” reply.
Ok, I'm going to try and get along with you. This is the best I can do. First off, we need to get on the same page. Because you keep saying things that I never said. So, I'm not going to be witty or be condecending. I never compared JT to Robert Parish. I was comparing situations. Not players. As far as your post about Joe Barry Carroll be sarcastic. Well sarcasm comes in two packages. One is humorus and one is caustic. Perhaps it was my frame of mind, but yours came across as caustic. My bad if I misinterpreted.

If I insulted you with my comments about your officiating, I appologize. I have no idea how good or bad an official you are or were. A lot of us on this fourm have credentials of some sort that we could tout. I personally don't think its revelant. For example. Issiah Thomas played in the NBA. He coached in the NBA. And he was a GM in the NBA. But I don't put much stock in his opinon on much of anything. He was a great player though.

So I guess what I'm saying is that you don't have to qualify yourself to have you opinion respected. As far as being intimidated by newbe's. Well, if you want to believe that, fine. But after all I've been through in my life, trust me my friend, newbe's don't intimidate me. Maybe Bricky does on occasion, but not newbe's.

I went back and read my orginal post. And though I meant it as a generalization, I can understand where you took as personal. I never meant it that way. Had a bad day yesterday. Lost one of my puppies. Not an excuse, just an explaination. Let me close by saying this. Not once did I imply that you wern't intelligent. You did so about me. I don't believe that I was condecending toward you, and you were toward me. If you interpreted it in another way, I'm sorry. But if so, mine was unintentional. Yours wasn't. So I'm willing to call it even if you are and start over. Up to you dude.

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
#2 for Garcia and Thompson? Maybe if they add Darko to that mix.....

Then we select Thabeet with #2 and hopefully OKC sticks with Harden so we can still pick Rubio at #4.

Then resign McCants and maybe Diogu too.

In that case we can move either Hawes or Darko at PF and still boost one of the tallest young and mobile frontlines with the addition of Thabeet. Except for those scrappy offensive rebounds we won't miss Thompson too much. And if something goes wrong, Darko is a big ender (close to 8M) which will be a great combo with KT's expiring to make us still good player of the 2010 FAs.

McCants has proven he can backup Martin well and actually exposed Garcia a bit having much cheaper salary. And with Garcia shipped, Donte will merit more time at SF rather than being a 3rd string SF.

Note the theory that if we did this it would be to add extra cap room for a big free agent this summer, so bringing back Darko would probably foul that up. If indeed that's what we were about. And if indeed this rumor has any legs.

L

LWP777

Ok, I'm going to try and get along with you. This is the best I can do. First off, we need to get on the same page. Because you keep saying things that I never said. So, I'm not going to be witty or be condecending. I never compared JT to Robert Parish. I was comparing situations. Not players. As far as your post about Joe Barry Carroll be sarcastic. Well sarcasm comes in two packages. One is humorus and one is caustic. Perhaps it was my frame of mind, but yours came across as caustic. My bad if I misinterpreted.

If I insulted you with my comments about your officiating, I appologize. I have no idea how good or bad an official you are or were. A lot of us on this fourm have credentials of some sort that we could tout. I personally don't think its revelant. For example. Issiah Thomas played in the NBA. He coached in the NBA. And he was a GM in the NBA. But I don't put much stock in his opinon on much of anything. He was a great player though.

So I guess what I'm saying is that you don't have to qualify yourself to have you opinion respected. As far as being intimidated by newbe's. Well, if you want to believe that, fine. But after all I've been through in my life, trust me my friend, newbe's don't intimidate me. Maybe Bricky does on occasion, but not newbe's.

I went back and read my orginal post. And though I meant it as a generalization, I can understand where you took as personal. I never meant it that way. Had a bad day yesterday. Lost one of my puppies. Not an excuse, just an explaination. Let me close by saying this. Not once did I imply that you wern't intelligent. You did so about me. I don't believe that I was condecending toward you, and you were toward me. If you interpreted it in another way, I'm sorry. But if so, mine was unintentional. Yours wasn't. So I'm willing to call it even if you are and start over. Up to you dude.

Sorry to hear about one of your puppies. That would upset me greatly as well. We can call it even from here. :)

Note the theory that if we did this it would be to add extra cap room for a big free agent this summer, so bringing back Darko would probably foul that up. If indeed that's what we were about. And if indeed this rumor has any legs.

I would take Darko if we can get rid of Beno's contract

It would be kind of the same theory as some of the trade Kevin proposals we would have -- the first prong is you get back the high pick, the second prong is you free up enough salary to sign a major free agent. In such a scenario you could end up basically trading JT for Boozer and Cisco for the #2. Which works nicely for us...IF the free agents cooperate.
The thing about the trade Kevin proposals that I didn't understand (from the angle of free agency, at least) would be why trade your 26 year old for cap space to sign someone likely older, to go with your otherwise young core?

This would make a little more sense. Still have the 20-21 year olds in the picks and Hawes, but add a slightly older FA at 4 to combine with Kevin.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Sorry to hear about one of your puppies. That would upset me greatly as well. We can call it even from here. :)
Done deal. :) It was a rescue puppie. I'm part of a rescue group down here. At times its very gratifying, but other times it breaks your heart. All I can say is that she had love right up till the end. I can only hope I get the same..:) Hey! Maybe even by you.........:rolleyes:

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
The thing about the trade Kevin proposals that I didn't understand (from the angle of free agency, at least) would be why trade your 26 year old for cap space to sign someone likely older, to go with your otherwise young core?

This would make a little more sense. Still have the 20-21 year olds in the picks and Hawes, but add a slightly older FA at 4 to combine with Kevin.

If all you were doing was dumping Kevin for capspace its likely just a wash -- although I should note that in 2010 there are half a dozen guys better than Kevin that could hit the market. But the deal with most of the trade Kevin trades is you trade Kevin for the capspace AND a top pick. So you get the top pick, then you have the capspace to turn right around and sign a guy of Kevin's level right back. So its like getting the extra top pick for free. Your choices, Kevin (or Kevin level equivalent) alone, or Kevin (or Kevin level equivalent) AND a top draft pick.

But wouldn't Diogu be our only 3rd big? :eek:
This would be the least of my concerns. We would be freeing up even more cap space with this deal, so we could always sign another big. However, even if Diogu is our third big this season, we aren't making the playoffs anyway, so I'm not sure it matter. Now next year's draft is supposed to be PF rich, the same way this draft is PG rich. So we could easily have at least a top 8 pick next season and have the opportunity to snag a legit 3rd big then. If that's the long term plan it would make much more sense.

Also though, if we do trade the 31 and 23 for 15, like is also rumored, we could grab Blair, Mullens, etc. to help fill that void.

Hey let's trade JT and Cisco for the #2...but keep it secret then trade the #4 to Minn for # 5 and 18, heck we can even give them 23 or 31. Then We draft Rubio at # 2 and still have the #5 and 18 possibly 31! Say OKC then takes thabeet and Minn takes Evans then we can have curry or if they take curry, we can have evans or if thabeet drops to 5 then get him to replace JT and still have the 18 pick to get maynor or whoever....

I guess I'm just dreaming.

I can’t see us trading Jason Thompson away for the 2nd pick...We just filled 2 holes these last 2 years, we shouldn’t be making another one.

I was actually hoping that we could have snatched the 5th pick away from the Wizards without giving away our 4th. Too bad that’s gone. Noc would have looked good in a Wizards jersey.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
I can’t see us trading Jason Thompson away for the 2nd pick...We just filled 2 holes these last 2 years, we shouldn’t be making another one.

Yeah, but by pairing Jt with Cisco we gain much more flexibility under the cap which will allow us to go after a pf in free agency. So basically we would have a good amount of money to fill that hole this summer.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Yeah, but by pairing Jt with Cisco we gain much more flexibility under the cap which will allow us to go after a pf in free agency. So basically we would have a good amount of money to fill that hole this summer.
So you want to trade away a promising young cheap PF for cap space to try to sign a more expensive PF to a 17 win team? Am I missing something?

L

LWP777

So you want to trade away a promising young cheap PF for cap space to try to sign a more expensive PF to a 17 win team? Am I missing something?

Would you rather have JT, Cisco, and the #2 or Boozer, #2, #4?

I think the idea is to get better players and young pieces and I think this accomplishes both and we would only have to give up one promising PF.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Would you rather have JT, Cisco, and the #2 or Boozer, #2, #4?

I think the idea is to get better players and young pieces and I think this accomplishes both and we would only have to give up one promising PF.
As being one of the few on this fourm that first started talking about Thompson as our draft pick, and was pleasantly surprised when the kings picked him, I will admit to having an emotional investment in him. That doesn't mean that I would preclude him from being traded. If the trade is in favor of the Kings. Would I rather have Boozer right now instead of Thompson? Yeah, I probably would. Or at least someone as good as Boozer.

The only problem with this scenario is that there's no guarantee that we'll get Boozer, or anyone else of similar ilk. Which would still leave us without a PF. Personaly I would rather trade Martin than Thompson. Simply because good big men are harder to find than scoring shooting guards. I would like to give Thompson a fair shake by giving him a second year to show what he can do. Remember, he's a guy that shot up from 6'3" or so to 6'11" in just two years. He went from a guard to a PF very quickly. It called for some serious adjustments in his game. So I would like to see how much he can improve next year. Worse case scenario is we trade him and end up watching him in an all star game in a couple of years.

Whatever happens its going to be interesting. Lets hope the decisions made are the right one's.

L

LWP777

As being one of the few on this fourm that first started talking about Thompson as our draft pick, and was pleasantly surprised when the kings picked him, I will admit to having an emotional investment in him. That doesn't mean that I would preclude him from being traded. If the trade is in favor of the Kings. Would I rather have Boozer right now instead of Thompson? Yeah, I probably would. Or at least someone as good as Boozer.

The only problem with this scenario is that there's no guarantee that we'll get Boozer, or anyone else of similar ilk. Which would still leave us without a PF. Personaly I would rather trade Martin than Thompson. Simply because good big men are harder to find than scoring shooting guards. I would like to give Thompson a fair shake by giving him a second year to show what he can do. Remember, he's a guy that shot up from 6'3" or so to 6'11" in just two years. He went from a guard to a PF very quickly. It called for some serious adjustments in his game. So I would like to see how much he can improve next year. Worse case scenario is we trade him and end up watching him in an all star game in a couple of years.

Whatever happens its going to be interesting. Lets hope the decisions made are the right one's.

I agree that it would only be worth it if you knew for sure you could sign a huge FA like Boozer. I think all of this is hypothetical anyway since it appears that this was just a rumor and is not going to happen.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
The only problem with this scenario is that there's no guarantee that we'll get Boozer, or anyone else of similar ilk. Which would still leave us without a PF.
That was kinda my point re: my 17 win team comment. You can have all the cap space in the world, but the player actually has to choose to come here. And historically that hasn't been the trend with Sacramento, a few good signings notwithstanding (namely Vlade).

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I agree that it would only be worth it if you knew for sure you could sign a huge FA like Boozer. I think all of this is hypothetical anyway since it appears that this was just a rumor and is not going to happen.
Hey! At least it gives us something to talk about. Just think. Tomorrow the fourm will be full of why Petrie should have picked someone else. And the sky will be falling again.;)

Hey! At least it gives us something to talk about. Just think. Tomorrow the fourm will be full of why Petrie should have picked someone else. And the sky will be falling again.;)
Ha! Same prediction I just posted in another thread. Except yours is much more eloquently written. ;)

I have not heard a peep about this rumour by anyone... This thread has gone 5+ pages...

Can anyone post where this came from? Seems rediculous to me. Kings would jump ALL OVER this if it were true...

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I have not heard a peep about this rumour by anyone... This thread has gone 5+ pages...

Can anyone post where this came from? Seems rediculous to me. Kings would jump ALL OVER this if it were true...
The original poster (OP) gave a link... http://www.commercialappeal.com/news...efuses-to-die/

This time of year there are gazillions of rumors floating around. They have a very short life and then die... I suspect very strongly this is one of them.

:)