Shooting for Playoffs with an Eye on the Future...

How Satisfied Would You Be With This Direction?

• Completely Satisfied

• Mostly Satisfied

• Somewhat Satisfied

• Neither Satisfied Nor Dissatisfied

• Somewhat Dissatisfied

• Mostly Dissatisfied

• Completely Dissatisfied

Results are only viewable after voting.
I don't think it's any secret that Vivek is wanting McNair to push this team to try and compete this season. However, reviewing reports/rumors, it sounds like they are not wanting to completely mortgage the future for this goal. It's a balancing act. With that in mind, the moves I suggested below attempt to adhere to these goals that I believe our owner and GM are attempting to follow.

TRADE #1
BOS Gets: Buddy Hield, Derrick Favors, & Mike Muscala
BOS Gives: Al Horford, Juan Hernangomez, Dennis Schroder, & 2022 BOS 2nd
Why for BOS? Hield would slot in as their starting SG and improve the floor spacing for Tatum, Brown, & Smart. The defense from Smart, Brown, Richardson, Tatum, & R. Williams would really help neutralize Hield's deficiencies on that side of the floor. Favors gives them a very solid backup C to help mitigate the loss of Horford This also drops them below the luxury tax which saves them money and opens the door for better exceptions to use next offseason.

PG - Smart / Pritchard
SG - Hield / Langford
SF - Brown / Richardson / Nesmith
PF - Tatum / G. Williams / Muscala
C - R. Williams / Favors / Kanter / Fernando

OKC Gets: Juan Hernangomez, Dennis Schroder, Mo Harkless, 2022 SAC 2nd, & 2022 BOS 2nd
OKC Gives: Derrick Favors, Mike Muscala, & Kenrich Williams
Why for OKC? The Thunder take on some extra unwanted salary while getting two 2nd rounders as compensation to further add to their warchest of picks.

PG - Gilgeous-Alexander / Schroder / Maledon
SG - Dort / Mann / Jerome / Oni
SF - Giddey / Harkless / Krejci
PF - Bazley / Roby / Hernangomez
C - Robinson-Earl / Pokusevski

SAC Gets: Al Horford & Kenrich Williams
SAC Gives: Buddy Hield, Mo Harkless, & 2022 SAC 2nd
Why for SAC? With Fox, Haliburton, Mitchell, & Davis on the roster, moving Hield is not a huge loss. In exchange they get Horford who addresses some of the Kings major needs (defense, playmaking, and shooting from the frontcourt). He would also be a welcomed addition from a mentoring standpoint. Williams gives them a decent 3&D SF who is also a very good passer for his position (2.2 AST/TO over his career). Lastly, they clear a lot more cap space for the 2023 offseason since Hield has 2.5 years left on his contract and Horford only has 1.5 years.

PG - Fox / Mitchell
SG - Haliburton / Davis / Ramsey
SF - Williams / Woodard
PF - Barnes / Bagley / Metu
C - Holmes / Horford / Jones / Len / Thompson

Trade #2
CHA Gets: Richaun Holmes
CHA Gives: Ish Smith & PJ Washington
Why for CHA? With Hayward, Bridges, & Oubre on the roster, there isn't a lot of minutes for Washington. They move him for a big upgrade at the C spot to help them with their playoff run.

PG - Ball / Bouknight
SG - Rozier / Martin
SF - Hayward / Oubre
PF - Bridges / McDaniels / Thor
C - Holmes / Plumlee / Jones / Richards / Carey

SAC Gets: Ish Smith & PJ Washington
SAC Gives: Richaun Holmes
Why for SAC? With Horford, Jones, Len, & Thompson available to play C, they move Holmes for an upgrade at SF/PF who can play defense, space the floor, and move the ball efficiently. He's also 23 (vs. Holmes who is 28) allowing him to be on the same timeline as the other young players we have on our roster.

PG - Fox / Mitchell / Smith
SF - Barnes / Williams / Woodard
PF - Washington / Bagley / Metu
C - Horford / Jones / Len / Thompson

Overview
Watching this current Kings roster play, I'd say we have 3 key major weaknesses:

1. Defense
  2. Playmaking/Ball Movement From the Frontcourt
  3. Shooting/Floor Spacing From the Frontcourt

Both of these trades address all 3 of these weaknesses quite effectively...

• Horford & Washington would be an upgrade defensively over Holmes & Bagley in the starting lineup, and Williams would be a very solid bench defender as well.
  • Horford, Washington, & Williams would be a major upgrade to our playmaking and ball movement in the frontcourt. Horford averages 4.7 AST per 36 min with a 3.4 AST/TO ratio, Washington averages 3.3 AST per 36 min with a 1.8 AST/TO ratio, & Williams averages 3.3 AST per 36 min with a 2.3 AST/TO ratio. Compare that to Holmes averaging 1.8 AST per 36 min with a 0.9 AST/TO ratio, Bagley averaging 1.1 AST per 36 min with a 0.9 AST/TO ratio, & Harkless averaging 1.0 AST per 36 min with a 0.8 AST/TO ratio.
  • Horford, Washington, & Williams would be a major upgrade to our floor spacing in the frontcourt. Although Horford is currently slumping shooting the ball, he has averaged 35.9% from 3 the past 7 seasons while taking 4.2 3PA per 36 min. As we all know, Holmes doesn't space the floor from the perimeter. His offense comes from the paint. Washington is averaging 44.3% from 3 this year while averaging 6.6 3PA per 36 minutes while Bagley is averaging 22% from 3 on 3.9 3PA per 36 minutes. Williams is averaging 38.2% from 3 this year while averaging 3.7 3PA per 36 minutes while Harkless is averaging 27.6% from 3 on 4.0 3PA per 36 minutes.

I don't think the upgrade defensively is as big as the offensive upgrades to the passing and shooting, so I'd definitely look to continue to add defensive talent in the upcoming drafts. However, I think we would see the ball zip around a lot more with guys like Fox, Haliburton, Mitchell, Barnes, Williams, Washington, & Horford all being able to make complex reads/passes. That gives us at least 1 rotation player at each position that is a good passer.

I would also be very interested to see how Fox & Haliburton would perform in a 5 out system. Right now they are having to work with PFs that shoot sub 30% from 3 and a C who takes almost all of his shots from the paint. Swap them out with guys who shoot, 36%, 38%, and 44% on decent volume, and you really open up the floor for someone like Fox to carve up defenses.

This trade also gives us around $50 mil in cap space for the 2023 offseason with the following players under contract Fox, Haliburton, Mitchell, Washington (~$11 mil cap hold as a RFA), Woodard, 2022 SAC 1st, and 2023 SAC 1st. That's a lot of flexibility to work with.

I think these trades not only improve our team today, but it improves our future as well considering 23 year old Washington is another young piece that is added to our core without sending out any young players or picks (with the exception of a 2nd round pick). It also improves the future as it opens up a lot more cap space in the 2023 offseason to keep us flexible and ready to make more team building moves. I think these trades would be some under the radar moves that would appease both Vivek while still giving McNair a future to work with.

Many want to see Fox shipped out. I'm not completely against that idea, but we'll likely get more from him during the 2022 offseason when cap space is more flexible, roster spots are open, and the lottery is set. Besides, Fox playing in a 5 out system with a tremendous amount of spacing likely brings his stats and value up helping us get more in return (if that's the route we actually want to go).

Last edited:
I don't think it's any secret that Vivek is wanting McNair to push this team to try and compete this season. However, reviewing reports/rumors, it sounds like they are not wanting to completely mortgage the future for this goal. It's a balancing act. With that in mind, the moves I suggested below attempt to adhere to these goals that I believe our owner and GM are attempting to follow.

TRADE #1
BOS Gets: Buddy Hield, Derrick Favors, & Mike Muscala
BOS Gives: Al Horford, Juan Hernangomez, Dennis Schroder, & 2022 BOS 2nd
Why for BOS? Hield would slot in as their starting SG and improve the floor spacing for Tatum, Brown, & Smart. The defense from Smart, Brown, Richardson, Tatum, & R. Williams would really help neutralize Hield's deficiencies on that side of the floor. Favors gives them a very solid backup C to help mitigate the loss of Horford This also drops them below the luxury tax which saves them money and opens the door for better exceptions to use next offseason.

PG - Smart / Pritchard
SG - Hield / Langford
SF - Brown / Richardson / Nesmith
PF - Tatum / G. Williams / Muscala
C - R. Williams / Favors / Kanter / Fernando

OKC Gets: Juan Hernangomez, Dennis Schroder, Mo Harkless, 2022 SAC 2nd, & 2022 BOS 2nd
OKC Gives: Derrick Favors, Mike Muscala, & Kenrich Williams
Why for OKC? The Thunder take on some extra unwanted salary while getting two 2nd rounders as compensation to further add to their warchest of picks.

PG - Gilgeous-Alexander / Schroder / Maledon
SG - Dort / Mann / Jerome / Oni
SF - Giddey / Harkless / Krejci
PF - Bazley / Roby / Hernangomez
C - Robinson-Earl / Pokusevski

SAC Gets: Al Horford & Kenrich Williams
SAC Gives: Buddy Hield, Mo Harkless, & 2022 SAC 2nd
Why for SAC? With Fox, Haliburton, Mitchell, & Davis on the roster, moving Hield is not a huge loss. In exchange they get Horford who addresses some of the Kings major needs (defense, playmaking, and shooting from the frontcourt). He would also be a welcomed addition from a mentoring standpoint. Williams gives them a decent 3&D SF who is also a very good passer for his position (2.2 AST/TO over his career). Lastly, they clear a lot more cap space for the 2023 offseason since Hield has 2.5 years left on his contract and Horford only has 1.5 years.

PG - Fox / Mitchell
SF - Williams / Woodard
PF - Barnes / Bagley / Metu
C - Holmes / Horford / Jones / Len / Thompson

Trade #2
CHA Gets: Richaun Holmes
CHA Gives: Ish Smith & PJ Washington
Why for CHA? With Hayward, Bridges, & Oubre on the roster, there isn't a lot of minutes for Washington. They move him for a big upgrade at the C spot to help them with their playoff run.

PG - Ball / Bouknight
SG - Rozier / Martin
SF - Hayward / Oubre
PF - Bridges / McDaniels / Thor
C - Holmes / Plumlee / Jones / Richards / Carey

SAC Gets: Ish Smith & PJ Washington
SAC Gives: Richaun Holmes
Why for SAC? With Horford, Jones, Len, & Thompson available to play C, they move Holmes for an upgrade at SF/PF who can play defense, space the floor, and move the ball efficiently. He's also 23 (vs. Holmes who is 28) allowing him to be on the same timeline as the other young players we have on our roster.

PG - Fox / Mitchell / Smith
SF - Barnes / Williams / Woodard
PF - Washington / Bagley / Metu
C - Horford / Jones / Len / Thompson

Overview
Watching this current Kings roster play, I'd say we have 3 key major weaknesses:

1. Defense
  2. Playmaking/Ball Movement From the Frontcourt
  3. Shooting/Floor Spacing From the Frontcourt

Both of these trades address all 3 of these weaknesses quite effectively...

• Horford & Washington would be an upgrade defensively over Holmes & Bagley in the starting lineup, and Williams would be a very solid bench defender as well.
  • Horford, Washington, & Williams would be a major upgrade to our playmaking and ball movement in the frontcourt. Horford averages 4.7 AST per 36 min with a 3.4 AST/TO ratio, Washington averages 3.3 AST per 36 min with a 1.8 AST/TO ratio, & Williams averages 3.3 AST per 36 min with a 2.3 AST/TO ratio. Compare that to Holmes averaging 1.8 AST per 36 min with a 0.9 AST/TO ratio, Bagley averaging 1.1 AST per 36 min with a 0.9 AST/TO ratio, & Harkless averaging 1.0 AST per 36 min with a 0.8 AST/TO ratio.
  • Horford, Washington, & Williams would be a major upgrade to our floor spacing in the frontcourt. Although Horford is currently slumping shooting the ball, he has averaged 35.9% from 3 the past 7 seasons while taking 4.2 3PA per 36 min. As we all know, Holmes doesn't space the floor from the perimeter. His offense comes from the paint. Washington is averaging 44.3% from 3 this year while averaging 6.6 3PA per 36 minutes while Bagley is averaging 22% from 3 on 3.9 3PA per 36 minutes. Williams is averaging 38.2% from 3 this year while averaging 3.7 3PA per 36 minutes while Harkless is averaging 27.6% from 3 on 4.0 3PA per 36 minutes.

I don't think the upgrade defensively is as big as the offensive upgrades to the passing and shooting, so I'd definitely look to continue to add defensive talent in the upcoming drafts. However, I think we would see the ball zip around a lot more with guys like Fox, Haliburton, Mitchell, Barnes, Williams, Washington, & Horford all being able to make complex reads/passes. That gives us at least 1 rotation player at each position that is a good passer.

I would also be very interested to see how Fox & Haliburton would perform in a 5 out system. Right now they are having to work with PFs that shoot sub 30% from 3 and a C who takes almost all of his shots from the paint. Swap them out with guys who shoot, 36%, 38%, and 44% on decent volume, and you really open up the floor for someone like Fox to carve up defenses.

This trade also gives us around $50 mil in cap space for the 2023 offseason with the following players under contract Fox, Haliburton, Mitchell, Washington (~$11 mil cap hold as a RFA), Woodard, 2022 SAC 1st, and 2023 SAC 1st. That's a lot of flexibility to work with.

I think these trades not only improve our team today, but it improves our future as well considering 23 year old Washington is another young piece that is added to our core without sending out any young players or picks (with the exception of a 2nd round pick). It also improves the future as it opens up a lot more cap space in the 2023 offseason to keep us flexible and ready to make more team building moves. I think these trades would be some under the radar moves that would appease both Vivek while still giving McNair a future to work with.

Many want to see Fox shipped out. I'm not completely against that idea, but we'll likely get more from him during the 2022 offseason when cap space is more flexible, roster spots are open, and the lottery is set. Besides, Fox playing in a 5 out system with a tremendous amount of spacing likely brings his stats and value up helping us get more in return (if that's the route we actually want to go).
If Vivek has Dumars as a "consultant," perhaps McNair would take you as a "sounding board," you do come up with some well thought out ideas. Sounding board isn't the right term, maybe idea resonator.

If Vivek has Dumars as a "consultant," perhaps McNair would take you as a "sounding board," you do come up with some well thought out ideas. Sounding board isn't the right term, maybe idea resonator.
I'd be more than fine being a glorified "idea man" ;)

I like it enough. The above scenario sounds reasonable, no outrageous reach for the stars and keeps our young talent intact. It might just be enough to get this team playing respectable basketball.