Potential Free agent/trade/sign tracker

Just a thought experiment here.

If the price was Keegan+matching salary (whatever that may be) for Lauri, do you accept it? No picks, no Carter, nothing.

This is also assuming Lauri signs an extension with us now and we know he's here for the long-term.

I don't think it would be just Keegan, but curious where people would value their talents.
I would not as that deal, in my opinion, doesn’t make us better. A Sabonis and Markkanen duo while good offensively would be problematic defensively. There’s different ways to go about this.

If the price was Keegan+matching salary (whatever that may be) for Lauri, do you accept it? No picks, no Carter, nothing.

This is also assuming Lauri signs an extension with us now and we know he's here for the long-term.

I don't think it would be just Keegan, but curious where people would value their talents.
I saw one rumor:
from jake Fischer: NBA personnel believe the Jazz would require Sacramento to part with Keegan Murray, and that might leave other trade options like Brandon Ingram as a more palatable outcome for the Kings.

Oh hell no to trading Keegan!!!!!

Markanan is legit. Of course he's better than Murray right now and most likely than he'll ever be. I don't know where this idea that Markanan is a bad defender comes from also. When I watch him, I see an above average defender especially when you consider his defensive rebounding. It seems like Utah is wanting a huge haul for him (Murray + assets) so prob best Kings pass on it ... But Markanan has been arguably a Top 15/20 player the last 2 seasons - to be that efficient as a team's #1 guy is remarkable, w/ no other sidekicks.

Markanan is legit. Of course he's better than Murray right now and most likely than he'll ever be. I don't know where this idea that Markanan is a bad defender comes from also. When I watch him, I see an above average defender especially when you consider his defensive rebounding. It seems like Utah is wanting a huge haul for him (Murray + assets) so prob best Kings pass on it ... But Markanan has been arguably a Top 15/20 player the last 2 seasons - to be that efficient as a team's #1 guy is remarkable, w/ no other sidekicks.
I'd rather have Murray and John Collins, than Markanan

I wouldn't since you want to add to that talent core you're building, not subtract. Not unless that's an MVP level talent coming back of course. Any drafted future talent core is a what if that benefits a rebuilding team far more than where the Kings are at currently. It's possible that Lauri is a better player than Ingram but not that much better and Ingram is actually more skilled as a passer and lead ball handler. Also, any knocks on Ingram for missing games have to be put on Markkanen too. In fact, just did the quick math, Ingram has played in 72% of his available games, Lauri? 70%. Ingram is actually more reliable technically.

I saw one rumor:
from jake Fischer: NBA personnel believe the Jazz would require Sacramento to part with Keegan Murray, and that might leave other trade options like Brandon Ingram as a more palatable outcome for the Kings.

Oh hell no to trading Keegan!!!!!
I would think that's NOT HAPPENING haha. And again, never trust Ainge not to polish a player up and sell high. That's why he's putting Kessler out there too. Markkanen wasn't the main return at the time he was traded to Utah. He was a nice piece but not the "get". What Ainge did was what a great GM does, builds up someone to their very max usage and looks to sell high. I'm not sure he actually is though. Now if someone wants to give him a Bridges like deal he'd probably talk, but the Kings can't even really do that at this point. They don't have the cache of picks.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Paying Bridges deal for Lauri is fools gold. He's a nice player and obviously I always root for my Cats but c'mon. He was one of 6 pieces not including a million swaps for Mitchell and now they want a Mitchell like haul for Lauri? Please.

I guess that's why I'm not upset we haven't been baited into making a bad move if the asking prices are ridiculous. I think we've seen teams panic sell already, there will be more. Of course we only have about a year before we have to max Fox and re-up Keegan at which point we'll be the ones panic selling if we haven't upgraded from/with Barnes and Huerter.

Small market, and large market don't really mean much anymore. Now the owners can be small market or large market though. Not sure which we have. But downtown near the arena there is a boatload of stuff to do after a game.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
If all Monte does this summer is re-sign Malik Monk, draft Devin Carter, and trade for Robert Williams III -- I would be satisfied with that off-season. We were close to being competitive last season but the mood felt off. More than top-end talent this team needs toughness, swagger, guys who take pride in getting defensive stops, guys who actually want to take the last shot.

On a slightly related note, basketball-reference.com has screwed up and added the contracts of Sasha Vezenkov and Davion Mitchell onto Portland's roster by mistake. I wonder how long it will take a site admin to notice?

hrdboild

Staff member
What are the rumors surrounding RWIII?
There was a SI article which connected us to him recently, but last I heard SI has fired everyone and is just a bot farm so I'm not sure that counts as an actual rumor. As far as I know it's all speculation at this point with Portland -- they now have Ayton, Clingan, and Williams at the C position and seem to be headed for a complete re-build so it's reasonable to assume that they'll trade one of their centers for future draft capital. I'm also desperately trying to shift the conversation away from the Ingram / Kuzma / LaVine "danger zone" we seem to be circling toward...

Of Portland's potentially extraneous centers, Williams and Ayton both have two years left on their deals, though Williams would be the better fit on our team. The standard "injury history" caveat applies here, but the salary cost for RW III is only $12.5 million this season with 1 additional year guaranteed at $13.2 million so I think the potential risk/reward balance would be be in our favor.

Monte should throw a 4 year full MLE contract at Tobias Harris and see if he can get him to sign. I would rather sign Tobias Harris as a FA instead of giving up multiple assets for some of the other guys rumored right now.

If all Monte does this summer is re-sign Malik Monk, draft Devin Carter, and trade for Robert Williams III -- I would be satisfied with that off-season. We were close to being competitive last season but the mood felt off. More than top-end talent this team needs toughness, swagger, guys who take pride in getting defensive stops, guys who actually want to take the last shot.

On a slightly related note, basketball-reference.com has screwed up and added the contracts of Sasha Vezenkov and Davion Mitchell onto Portland's roster by mistake. I wonder how long it will take a site admin to notice?
I just gotta believe there's a deal to be made with BKN, if the big fish hunting falls through. They're in full blow-up mode, the Jordi connection, etc. Sharpe/DFS/Cam Johnson are all guys who can really help us.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I just gotta believe there's a deal to be made with BKN, if the big fish hunting falls through. They're in full blow-up mode, the Jordi connection, etc. Sharpe/DFS/Cam Johnson are all guys who can really help us.
I hope this is really what we're doing and all this public stuff is leverage if that's what it is. I assume a Nets deal will be far more reasonable with future capital sent out and I am just uneasy about it when I think nobody talked about is truly long term better than I expect Keegan to be in 2 more years (so will be the 2nd or 3rd highest paid player with a 4th best player ceiling which is why Barnes gets so much hate but some of these guys could be getting twice what Barnes makes).

hrdboild

Staff member
I don't know what to make of Brooklyn right now. Usually there's some kind of logic to trade proposals but I have no idea what Brooklyn is doing so I have no idea what they might want. Bridges was the centerpiece of the KD deal and they just flipped him for a haul of future picks. If Cam Johnson and DFS are on the block too -- do they even have enough players to fill an active roster next year? Dallas went to the Finals this year, Phoenix is as all-in as a team has ever been, and New York is gearing up for their own deep playoff run so aren't the Nets just stockpiling low-value late first round picks with all their wheeling and dealing? Their whole methodology is questionable.