OFFICIAL Fire Adelman and get _______ thread (MERGED)

Kings interested in Flip Saunders?

From the Minneapolis Star Tribune:

"The word in NBA circles is that Sacramento has asked the Timberwolves' permission to talk to Flip Saunders. Rick Adelman, whose Kings were eliminated from the playoffs by the Sonics on Tuesday, is in the last year of his coaching contract, and Saunders could be the top candidate for the job if a decision is made to replace Adelman. Saunders is also expected to be interviewed by the Lakers, but it appears that Phil Jackson is going to get that job."

http://www.startribune.com/stories/507/5386275-2.html

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Well, would be logical on one front -- Flip has always been the guy who has a system the closest to the one the Kings use (passing etc.). Totally illogical on another -- you hire Flip Saunders, he of the 17-30 playoff record and 7 straight first round exits as your coach because you want to go FURTHER in the playoffs??

Would have a lot to prove to say the least.

Diabeticwonder said:
From the Minneapolis Star Tribune:

"The word in NBA circles is that Sacramento has asked the Timberwolves' permission to talk to Flip Saunders. Rick Adelman, whose Kings were eliminated from the playoffs by the Sonics on Tuesday, is in the last year of his coaching contract, and Saunders could be the top candidate for the job if a decision is made to replace Adelman. Saunders is also expected to be interviewed by the Lakers, but it appears that Phil Jackson is going to get that job."

http://www.startribune.com/stories/507/5386275-2.html
The story is completely flawed. The Kings would not "ask permission" to talk with Saunders while still having Adelman employed as their coach. I'm pretty sure this is the same article we saw a few days ago.

Bricklayer said:
Well, would be logical on one front -- Flip has always been the guy who has a system the closest to the one the Kings use (passing etc.). Totally illogical on another -- you hire Flip Saunders, he of the 17-30 playoff record and 7 straight first round exits as your coach because you want to go FURTHER in the playoffs??

Would have a lot to prove to say the least.
Totally with you on that assessment.....that record and he had KG, couldn't control players (Sprewell/Cassell). :eek: Don't think it would be an improvement over RA.

t-wolves didn't fire him they removed him as coach and made him a consultant. That's why anyone that wants to interview him has to ask permission.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Oh God.

1. No, they haven't fired RA and, aside from the usual rantings of those who detest Adelman, I doubt if there are any such plans in the works. The Maloofs and Petrie recognize the job Adelman did this year, despite the roadblocks through in his path and aren't about to over-react at this point.

2. Rudy T is probably going to stay away from coaching for the foreseeable future if not forever. The whole episode in LA probably soured him on the game for a long time.

VF21 said:
The Maloofs and Petrie recognize the job Adelman did this year.
The job he did???

This team is talented. It's not like it's a rag tag bunch of guys who were all free agents and he willed this team to 50 wins.

If people are happy with 50 wins in the regular season then I guess Adelman is your man. How this team played in the Seattle series was horrendous and Adelman was seriously outcoached by MacMillan.....Seattle did the right thing in not extending his contract and making him work for it. However, for some reason the Kings decided to give Adelman a gift and we will now waste another year with this coach.

VF21 said:
Of course Peja explained...and put the spin on it that would put him in the best light. It doesn't change the fact he CHOSE to publicly air his trade "request" from overseas, through Ailene Voisin. It doesn't change the fact he CHOSE to state that he didn't even care where he went, as long as he got out of Sacramento.

Peja talks the talk just fine. He doesn't walk the walk. That's the problem I have with him right now. Talk is cheap. ACTIONS are what are needed and he hasn't met his obligations.
I think that's a little low. He made one comment after a dissapointing finish to a great season, after the team's superstar esentially called him out for being a wimp. He could have pushed for a trade (see Vince, Jackson, Mourning) and he could have gotten his wish, especially with a very tradeable contract and a number of teams that were willing to give up a lot in exchange. But he didn't.
At the end of the day, he played even though his heart wasn't in it, even though the team wasn't what it was, even though his best friend left and the city's fanbase was starting to turn on him.
For you to keep calling him out for this is a little ridiculous.

We could always hand over the reigns to Jerry Reynolds again, sound fun? Or maybe Dick Motta. Oh, I know, Bill Russell.

I think RA is our best option unless another great coach becomes available, however, Lenny Wilkens might be an interesting replacement.

Ryle said:
The job he did???

This team is talented. It's not like it's a rag tag bunch of guys who were all free agents and he willed this team to 50 wins.

If people are happy with 50 wins in the regular season then I guess Adelman is your man. How this team played in the Seattle series was horrendous and Adelman was seriously outcoached by MacMillan.....Seattle did the right thing in not extending his contract and making him work for it. However, for some reason the Kings decided to give Adelman a gift and we will now waste another year with this coach.
You say that he was outcoached, but how is what MacMillan did with the Sonics this year any different than what Adelman did for the Kings last year? That team beat the Mavericks in 5 games in round one. The Sonics gave up big leads but still held on to win most games, just like the Kings did last year.

This team had talented players, but it takes more than talent and a good coach. Most teams need more than a week of playing together to play well, regardless of the coach. Most teams need players capable of rebounding and playing defense to play well in the postseason, regardless of the coach. Just because you seem to overestimate the abilities of the Kings players doesn't mean Adelman is a bad coach for getting them to play as well as he did.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Ryle said:
The job he did???

Yeah, because teams win and coaches lose, right?

It WAS a rag-tag bunch of guys, at least as far as being a team was concerned. We went from one of the most seasoned teams in the league to a starting five with two guys who weren't even on the team a couple of months ago AND a center trying desparately to come back from a BROKEN LEG so he could contribute. The fact we were even in the playoffs is a tribute to Rick Adelman.

I don't know why I try to argue, however, because people who want to see Adelman gone are not going to cut him any slack. Luckily, the Maloofs and Petrie don't seem to be quite so rigid in their views of our coach. Adelman was given an extension for one more year. Personally, I think he earned it ... and more.

I think Rick is afraid to be in odds with his star players; eg. during webber era, he is hesistant to take out webb during crucial time of the game when webb (at times) is less efficient than other role players, I mean Rick plays his star players to exhaustion; as a coach, the game is like chess; match play with ur opponents move......Rick at times seem to be afraid of his star's rxn that he would leave them in there despite their drop in efficiency.........Rick look to your bench at times; they have prove u time and time again..............I'm not saying replace the star players w/ our bench, but I would like Rick to mix it up a little. I don't want to see Rick go, but I would like him to change his style a little, that's all.....come on KINGS 2006 champs!!!

skillet said:
I think Rick is afraid to be in odds with his star players; eg. during webber era, he is hesistant to take out webb during crucial time of the game when webb (at times) is less efficient than other role players, I mean Rick plays his star players to exhaustion; as a coach, the game is like chess; match play with ur opponents move......Rick at times seem to be afraid of his star's rxn that he would leave them in there despite their drop in efficiency.........Rick look to your bench at times; they have prove u time and time again..............I'm not saying replace the star players w/ our bench, but I would like Rick to mix it up a little. I don't want to see Rick go, but I would like him to change his style a little, that's all.....come on KINGS 2006 champs!!!
I doubt it is really fear. Why would a star player inspire more fear than any other player? I think Adelman believes that his team has a better chance of winning with the "star" players playing.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
kperica said:
I think that's a little low. He made one comment after a dissapointing finish to a great season, after the team's superstar esentially called him out for being a wimp. He could have pushed for a trade (see Vince, Jackson, Mourning) and he could have gotten his wish, especially with a very tradeable contract and a number of teams that were willing to give up a lot in exchange. But he didn't.
At the end of the day, he played even though his heart wasn't in it, even though the team wasn't what it was, even though his best friend left and the city's fanbase was starting to turn on him.
For you to keep calling him out for this is a little ridiculous.
For you to want to annoint him a Saint is equally ridiculous.

If you want to continue to make excuses for him as poor little Peja who was picked on and called a wimp, etc. feel free to do so. (The team's superstar called him a wimp? OMG. How will he ever recover? That's HORRIBLE! /sarcasm.) You know what you accomplish? Nothing. In fact, more people resent the idea that a millionaire basketball player is so fragile that his fans have to defend every single negative comment that is made in his direction.

Guess what? I don't care if his heart is in it, I don't care if his best friend left. That's pretty pathetic, when you think about it. Bobby Jackson's beloved mother DIED and other players have gone through equally emotionally trying times but they haven't received the passes and excuses Predrag Stojakovic has garnered.

Sorry, but I'm going to continue to post my HONEST feelings about Peja as long as he wears the uniform. I am not being vindicate or cruel, I am not resorting to name-calling, etc. If you're read this board enough, you'd know I have truly mixed feelings about #16.

At the end of the day, he played because he has a bleeping contract. Period.

I didn't make him out to be a saint - I said he played even though conditions were very unfavorable. I think your opinions are shared by many Kings fans, and you have to admit that it would be unpleasant to go to work when your coworkers disrepected you and the general public was blaming you for the failures of the team.
Obviously, you are very emotional about this. Your sarcasm and veiled insults are uncalled for - I never attacked you, just your opinions concerning Peja. If it came off in any other way, I apologize, but I would like to reiterate that I believe your comments are ridiculous. Not to mention, if correctly I remember some of your earlier posts about Webber when he was acting similarly ,they are a little hypocritical.
Just a thought, but perhaps you should take a few days off to not think about basketball. The season is over, and there's plenty of time to push for Peja trades later in the summer.

Getting back on topic...
I think it is time to fire Adelman. He was a great coach, and you can't argue with the record.
But...
This team is obviously changing. We don't have Webber, Vlade, and Doug (guys with very high basketball IQ's) around anymore - our coach can't be so hands-off.
At the same time, the coaching market is as good as it'll ever be - you have guys like McMillan, Jackson, and Saunders potentially available, not to mention young talent slipping through the cracks cause of those guys.
I would push for McMillan, he did wonderful job with a jump-shooting team that couldn't play defense this year. Ray Allen is a free agent, and should he leave (if I were him, I'd bolt for Cleveland and 'Bron), McMillan might be available.

Ok lets fired Rick Adelman and get that one coach----> Kcir Namleda; I heard he managed to put a team to the playoffs despite all the injury bug to his star player and shake up in the roster....:)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
kperica said:
I didn't make him out to be a saint - I said he played even though conditions were very unfavorable. I think your opinions are shared by many Kings fans, and you have to admit that it would be unpleasant to go to work when your coworkers disrepected you and the general public was blaming you for the failures of the team.
Obviously, you are very emotional about this. Your sarcasm and veiled insults are uncalled for - I never attacked you, just your opinions concerning Peja. If it came off in any other way, I apologize, but I would like to reiterate that I believe your comments are ridiculous. Not to mention, if correctly I remember some of your earlier posts about Webber when he was acting similarly ,they are a little hypocritical.
Just a thought, but perhaps you should take a few days off to not think about basketball. The season is over, and there's plenty of time to push for Peja trades later in the summer.
I had a long reply typed and deleted it. Why? Because it simply doesn't matter any longer. This whole idea of arguing forever about poor little Peja is silly. He's a grown man and a very rich one to boot. If you think my comments are ridiculous, that is - of course - your choice.

If you want to discuss this further, we need to take it to PMs.

S

SoupNazi

Good news for you adelman haters..... i was listening to 1140 and they were saying that according to a newspaper in minnesota, the kings are asking to talk to Flip Saunders.