The Soccer Thread

It goes way deeper than the players or the managers. To really compete with the big boys, it starts at the very top of USA soccer. They run everything from our developmental squads all the way to who’s representing us in the World Cup. USA soccer is STILL a clueless organization who still doesn’t know how to develop our youngsters.
I would be allright never seeing the kings and 49ers ever winning a championship if it meant seeing the US win a World Cup. No trophy in the world means more than a World Cup.
Damn, that's a take. Soccer isn't big enough in the US for me to put national fandom over the Kings/9ers. Now if it it came down to Kings or 49ers, I would rather see the 9ers get another ring over the Kings just because of how close we've been in the last decade as an elite franchise. With the Kings, we've always been a longshot anyways. We were robbed in 2002, but never came close and have always been a poverty franchise. Not winning a ring in the next 15 years wouldn't sting much compared to the 49ers.

This is a tired argument. We’re a country of 330 million plus with the money and resources to develop top tier athletes. I’m not saying we should win the World Cup every 4 years or even ever for that matter but surely advancing past the group stage of Copa America when you’re the host country shouldn’t be too much to ask for.
Soccer has no ties at all to American culture and that's why it'll will never be big here. USMNT missed a big marketing opportunity with Pulisic when they missed out on the 2018 World Cup. He could've been the new young face of American soccer, but all the momentum got killed.

How do you convince a bunch of 10-year-olds that they should take on soccer instead of football like Patrick Mahomes or basketball like Steph Curry?

We're a country with abundant resources, but why would anyone willingly dump money to develop youth soccer in the US? There has to be a financial aspect. The NBA are the ones pouring millions of money into these youth camps via indirect partnerships because they want to develop the next generations of NBA players. The NFL does the same in order to develop a wave of prospective candidates. But who would be the one funding it in the US? The MLS is not even among the top 10 best leagues in the world. Our best American players end up overseas, while MLS teams desperately try to appeal to a) international soccer players not good enough to player in Europe or b) over-the-hill European stars looking for a cozy retirement tour.

The only thing that could realistically push a shift in youth soccer development is if we had a Soviet-era tape measuring contest and the U.S. government was really hell bent on proving that America is #1.

I think USMNT fans place too much unrealistic expectations on the squad, but the coach needs to go.

Damn, I cannot believe USA soccer agreed to pay the women coach the same amount as the men’s coach.
Personally I blame both the women (and their stupid equal pay lawsuit) and USA soccer federation (for agreeing to the women’s demands) equally for dooming the men to mediocrity for the forseeable future.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
well.....ESPN just said that USAMNT cannot go after a high profile coach and pay him big money because if they did, because of the charter they signed with the USA women, we would have to spend the same amount on their coach also. Kinda hilarious that the women and their lawsuit will ultimately keep the men from ever hiring a high profile coach. Man, how demoralizing..............

I hope someone can come in here and tell me that I'm wrong and that ESPN is useless and putting forth bad info.
Don't the women profit from the men's success? Since they want equal share of USAxNT revenue?

Whatever get Löw or Klopp for whatever cost and match salary. or hell fire whoever they have now and hire whoever the best woman's coach is since they're stuck with it instead of just hiring whoever the player's are buddies with and lets certain vets run the team.